Copal, Compur, Prontor

Aaron Ng

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Excuse me! But what's the difference between Copal, Compur and Prontor (and
several others for that matter)?. Are they just different makes of shutter?
When a lens needs a Copal, does it mean there is only one make of Copal to
look out for or several? Is there a list somewhere that states what lens is
for what shutter? I'm sorry, but this is a little confusing to me.

Many Thanks,
Aaron

Sven Seiffert

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Try http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/shutters.html for
some excellent information on shutters.

Sven

Bob Salomon

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Very simple.

Copal is the most common and the least expensive mechanical shutter.

Compur has virtually the same features as the Copal but adds dis-engageable
click stops and the ability to add an aperture setting device to set
aperture from behind the lens.

Prontor professional is the most expensive and adds full remote to the
operation.

All new lenses are basically offered in Copal in the U.S. and all other
shutters are optional and may be special order only
--

www.hpmarketingcorp.com for links to our suppliers

HP Marketing Corp. U.S. distributor for Braun, Gepe, Giottos, Heliopan, HP
Combi Plan T, Kaiser fototechnik, KoPho cases, Linhof, Pro Release, Rimowa,
Rodenstock, Sirostar 2000, Tetenal Ink Jet Papers

skgrimes

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
They are different brands, and types. There are various different sizes also. See:
http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm for more about this. SKG

S.K. GRIMES -- FEINMECHANIK -- MACHINE WORK FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
153 Hamlet Ave (5th floor) Woonsocket, RI 02895
+ Lenses mounted into shutters.
+ Shutters repaired, restored.
+ For more info-- http://www.skgrimes.com.
(updated 3-4-00) (New Spanner Wrench)
mailto:skgr...@skgrimes.com

Alexander Kraus

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Are Compur shutters still made? They seem to have the best quality to me. My
old Linhof Synchro Compur works still great. The 1/400th is indeed a
1/400th. Whereas my much newer Copal 1 and 3v don't even succeed in managing
the 1/250th or 1/125th, respectively ... :-(

Alex

[...]

Bob Salomon

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Compur shutters are still made but not Synchro Compur shutters.

The Synchro version has a synch selector switch a Compur is X synch only
like all other shutters.

A Compur is much more expensive than a Copal for the same lens so lenses in
Compur (or its' even better big brother the Prontor Professional) are
usually special order items.
--

www.hpmarketingcorp.com for links to our suppliers

HP Marketing Corp. U.S. distributor for Braun, Gepe, Giottos, Heliopan, HP
Combi Plan T, Kaiser fototechnik, KoPho cases, Linhof, Pro Release, Rimowa,
Rodenstock, Sirostar 2000, Tetenal Ink Jet Papers

Alexander Kraus

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Thanks Bob,

can you give me a rough idea how much a Compur #1 or Prontor #1 costs? I
wasn't able to find any prices so far...

Alex

Bob Salomon <robert...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

skgrimes

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Last time I checked, the Compur #1 was around $500.00 and the Prontor #1 around 600.00. These are
now distributed by Schneider. Calumet also lists them in their catalogue, etc but the prices have
fluctuated in the last year or two with the change of distributors to Schneider.

SKG

S.K. GRIMES -- FEINMECHANIK -- MACHINE WORK FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
153 Hamlet Ave (5th floor) Woonsocket, RI 02895
+ Lenses mounted into shutters.
+ Shutters repaired, restored.
+ For more info-- http://www.skgrimes.com.
(updated 3-4-00) (New Spanner Wrench)
mailto:skgr...@skgrimes.com

Alexander Kraus <alex_...@sprynet.com> wrote in message

Pam Niedermayer

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
The price of anything distributed by Schneider in the US
should be compared to the price for the same item in the UK,
may save a small bundle. Now I'm not in favor of gray market
purcases; but Schneider US has really jacked up prices here
compared to in the UK, most likely in the whole EU they're
much cheaper. Now one could argue that we deserve it as our
technology vendors have traditionally soaked EU nations; but
the internet is a great leveler. If I can save $1000,
including customs and shipping, on a lens, I'll order in the UK.

Pam

skgrimes wrote:

> Last time I checked, the Compur #1 was around $500.00 and the Prontor #1 around 600.00. These are
> now distributed by Schneider. Calumet also lists them in their catalogue, etc but the prices have
> fluctuated in the last year or two with the change of distributors to Schneider.

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer
Pinehill Softworks Inc.

Keith Olivier

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Hi Pam

I know this is an old thread, but I had an interesting correspondence from
Robert White today. He told me that unless used equipment is quite recent
(like a few years) it simply does not sell in the UK anymore.

I was interested in doing a part exchange of my 2x3 Linhof Technika and 2
Mamiya TLR cameras and lenses, for the new Linhof 679cc monorail (if one can
call it that). He said that he had recently disposed of quite a lot of
used MF equipment to another re-seller in the hope of moving it at all.

So perhaps the imbalance in prices between Europe and the USA are because of
supply and demand. If the same prices were charged in Europe maybe they
would sell virtually nothing "at home". I have the Linhof Catalog, and it
is possible to buy the full range of equipment direct from the factory at
very much the same prices as what are advertised by Robert White. This
includes the lenses (Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikkon)

Keith
Pam Niedermayer <pam_...@cape.com> wrote in message

> The price of anything distributed by Schneider in the US
> should be compared to the price for the same item in the UK,
> may save a small bundle. Now I'm not in favor of gray market
> purcases; but Schneider US has really jacked up prices here
> compared to in the UK, most likely in the whole EU they're
> much cheaper. Now one could argue that we deserve it as our
> technology vendors have traditionally soaked EU nations; but
> the internet is a great leveler. If I can save $1000,
> including customs and shipping, on a lens, I'll order in the UK.
>
> Pam

Paul and Paula Butzi

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
On Tue, 2 May 2000 21:29:44 +0200, "Keith Olivier"
<oliv...@yebo.co.za> wrote:

>So perhaps the imbalance in prices between Europe and the USA are because of
>supply and demand. If the same prices were charged in Europe maybe they
>would sell virtually nothing "at home". I have the Linhof Catalog, and it
>is possible to buy the full range of equipment direct from the factory at
>very much the same prices as what are advertised by Robert White. This
>includes the lenses (Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikkon)

Tell us more, tell us more! What catalog do you have? How do I get
my own copy? How do I go about ordering direct from Linhof?

-Paul

--
Articles on B&W photography, camera and equipment reviews, and photographs at:
http://www.asymptote.com/butzi (updated 3/2/00)

Pam Niedermayer

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
For years US vendors have jacked up the prices for items
distributed outside North America. I suspect something
similar at work in reverse by the Schneider NA distributor.
It is generally true that lower resale values can certainly
affect new sale prices. So, I don't know definitively why
Schneider lenses are so drastically cheaper in Europe than
here; but they are, by 30% or more, even including tariffs
and shipping.

I would be blown away if the Linhof or Schneider factory
would sell anything direct to anyone but distributors.
Usually these things are built into the distributors'
contracts. It would be foolish of them to subvert their
agreements. However, the internet is generally dicing things
up, so maybe Linhof has built the systems necessary to do
direct selling.

Pam

Keith Olivier wrote:

> Hi Pam
>
> I know this is an old thread, but I had an interesting correspondence from
> Robert White today. He told me that unless used equipment is quite recent
> (like a few years) it simply does not sell in the UK anymore.
>
> I was interested in doing a part exchange of my 2x3 Linhof Technika and 2
> Mamiya TLR cameras and lenses, for the new Linhof 679cc monorail (if one can
> call it that). He said that he had recently disposed of quite a lot of
> used MF equipment to another re-seller in the hope of moving it at all.
>

> So perhaps the imbalance in prices between Europe and the USA are because of
> supply and demand. If the same prices were charged in Europe maybe they
> would sell virtually nothing "at home". I have the Linhof Catalog, and it
> is possible to buy the full range of equipment direct from the factory at
> very much the same prices as what are advertised by Robert White. This
> includes the lenses (Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikkon)

Keith Olivier

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
The Catalog I have is called a PRICE/PRODUCT LISTING, valid as of August 1
1999
It lists:
Cameras,
lenses,
Lensboards,
Finders & accessories,
Film holders/rollfilm backs,
Ground glass backs & Reducing frames,
Coupling packages (for rangefinders),
Lens Shades, Compendiums
Slip in/bayonet filters
Cable releases
Miscellaneous Accessories
Accessory stands, Copy equipment
Tripods
Tripod Heads
Tripod accessories
Special backs/holders
Ground glass/screens
Lensshades/Screw in filters
Cases
Shutters/accessories
Tripod cases
Spares etc

11 pages in all, with prices in DM and Euro, product codes etc.

The say under the section called Payment: "Export deliveries will be carried
out only against sufficient doccumentry coverage such as letter of credit or
similar means. Where shipment is made on open account, our terms of payment
are: net, 30 days after date of invoice. Cash discounts or other deductions
are nto granted."

Under Delivery:"All orders, confirmations, deliveries and shipments are
subject to the following general terms, provided other conditions are not
specifically agreed in writing between us and the buyer. For all deliveries
our order confirmation shall be applicable. Delivery dates, shown on our
order confirmations are not binding. We cannot assume any liability, claims
or refunds arising from non-delivery or unforseen delays in the completion
of orders."

Some price examples:
Kardan Master GTL 810 camera without lens 6200.00DM
Master Technika 45 without lens 7680.00DM
Linhof 679 without lens or back 5290.00DM
Master Technika 2000 without lens 6980.00DM

Schneider SA 90mm f8 Copal 0 1521.00 DM
Apo Ronar 480mm f9 Copal 3 3236.00 DM
Super Symmar 110mm 5.6 XL Copal 1 2420.00 DM
Super Symmar 150mm 5.6 XL Copal 1 3085.00 DM
Apo Grandagon 35mm 4.5 Copal 0 2159.00 DM

It seems that only the tele Nikkors are listed
270mm 6.3 Copal 1 3850.00 DM
600mm 9.0 Copal 3 7189.00DM

Keith Olivier
Paul and Paula Butzi <bu...@halcyon.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 2 May 2000 21:29:44 +0200, "Keith Olivier"
> <oliv...@yebo.co.za> wrote:
>

> >So perhaps the imbalance in prices between Europe and the USA are because
of
> >supply and demand. If the same prices were charged in Europe maybe they
> >would sell virtually nothing "at home". I have the Linhof Catalog, and
it
> >is possible to buy the full range of equipment direct from the factory at
> >very much the same prices as what are advertised by Robert White. This
> >includes the lenses (Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikkon)

Paul and Paula Butzi

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
On Wed, 3 May 2000 18:36:30 +0200, "Keith Olivier"
<oliv...@yebo.co.za> wrote:

>Master Technika 2000 without lens 6980.00DM

If I'm converting currency correctly that works out to US$3278.

Wow. Is this difference reflected in the European retail
prices as well? I could fly to Europe, hang around for a while,
and fly back on the difference between $3278 and the price
I get quoted here in Seattle.

Helge Nareid

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
On Wed, 03 May 2000 10:17:03 -0700, Paul and Paula Butzi
<bu...@halcyon.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 3 May 2000 18:36:30 +0200, "Keith Olivier"
><oliv...@yebo.co.za> wrote:
>
>>Master Technika 2000 without lens 6980.00DM
>
>If I'm converting currency correctly that works out to US$3278.
>
>Wow. Is this difference reflected in the European retail
>prices as well? I could fly to Europe, hang around for a while,
>and fly back on the difference between $3278 and the price
>I get quoted here in Seattle.

Let's see ...

I happen to have a recent price list from Linhof & Studio in London handy.
Master Technika 2000 is listed at £2498.11 (+17.5% VAT, which can
presumably be reclaimed by non-UK residents). I'm too lazy to convert it
into $ myself at the moment.

Linhof & Studio certainly sell retail - I've visited the shop myself, but
mainly to gawk at the Gandolfis ...

--
- Helge Nareid
Nordmann i utlendighet, Aberdeen, Scotland

Paul and Paula Butzi

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
On Wed, 03 May 2000 21:32:53 +0100, h.na...@nareid.demon.co.uk (Helge
Nareid) wrote:

>On Wed, 03 May 2000 10:17:03 -0700, Paul and Paula Butzi
><bu...@halcyon.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 3 May 2000 18:36:30 +0200, "Keith Olivier"
>><oliv...@yebo.co.za> wrote:
>>
>>>Master Technika 2000 without lens 6980.00DM
>>
>>If I'm converting currency correctly that works out to US$3278.
>>
>>Wow. Is this difference reflected in the European retail
>>prices as well? I could fly to Europe, hang around for a while,
>>and fly back on the difference between $3278 and the price
>>I get quoted here in Seattle.
>
>Let's see ...
>
>I happen to have a recent price list from Linhof & Studio in London handy.

>Master Technika 2000 is listed at Ł2498.11 (+17.5% VAT, which can

>presumably be reclaimed by non-UK residents). I'm too lazy to convert it
>into $ myself at the moment.

2498.11 pounds is about $3900 US.

Still better than US prices by a substantial margin.

Keith Olivier

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Hi Paul

Was it just co-incidence that your wife was called Paula ?

I guess that like what we have in South Africa, the agents for Linhof in the
USA will have exclusive rights to sell the equipment in the USA. It may
also mean that the factory may not be allowed to sell to you KNOWING that
you are not a EU resident. Of course as a tourist, none of this applies,
except any duty you may have to pay when you get back home.

We were paying around 9X the USA price for optical equipment in SA a few
years ago, and through various reforms, this has improved to around 2.5-3X
in recent times. Consider though that 1 Rand=0.16$ and that we earn fewer
Rands that what americans earn dollars. This results in a huge disparity
between what we can afford compared to a lot of other folks. As I was
discussing with one of my coleagues the other day, it is not that we are
paid peanuts, just that our money isn't worth a damm anymore....

The only ocasional light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, is that it is
sometimes possible to get real bargains on the used market, simply because
the market is so small, the people so ignorant, and money for such luxuries
is so scarce. I was able to buy my Technika III with Super Rolex 6x7 back,
65mm f8 SA, 105mm Carl Zeis Tessar, and 135mm 5.6 Symmar for less that
$1000, and the only item slightly dodgy was the Symmar ! Another friend
had even more luck to find a Technika V 4x5 with 90mm 5.6 SA, 150mm 5.6
Symmar, and 250mm Rodenstock Imagon for just over $1000 ! Enough to make
anyone turn green.....

I spent 2 months in Germany at the beginning of the year since I have family
out there, and also spent a week at our companys engineering center in
Edenkoben, about 150km SW of Frankfurt. While I was there, I filled in a
request for more information on Linhof equipment (available at all good
Photographic stores) and they mailed me a whole lot of stuff to South
Africa. What did puzzle me was the fact that I never got a catalog on the
GTL monorails nor on the M679, despite the fact that I specifically
requested it. Either they are out of print or (heaven forbid) the catalog
is still in the development phase. The website is also not very
informative, and I have never had a reply to the online questionaires which
one can fill in for requesting additional information.

I will see if I can scan the Catalog and upload a text only version (there
are not many pictures anyway) to my home page.

regards Keith

> On Wed, 3 May 2000 18:36:30 +0200, "Keith Olivier"
> <oliv...@yebo.co.za> wrote:
>

> >Master Technika 2000 without lens 6980.00DM
>
> If I'm converting currency correctly that works out to US$3278.
>
> Wow. Is this difference reflected in the European retail
> prices as well? I could fly to Europe, hang around for a while,
> and fly back on the difference between $3278 and the price
> I get quoted here in Seattle.

Paul and Paula Butzi

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
On Wed, 3 May 2000 23:52:22 +0200, "Keith Olivier"
<oliv...@yebo.co.za> wrote:

>Hi Paul
>
>Was it just co-incidence that your wife was called Paula ?

Yes. To be honest, it's a bit of a nuisance, especially given
what apparently is an unpronounceable surname.

Generally people call on the phone, and say "I'd like to speak
to, uh, Paul, uh, uh, Bootsi, uh, Butski, uh, uh, uh". How the
heck do you figure that out? I don't like telephones and
am always strongly tempted to just hang up. It's always
some damn solicitor trying to flog something anyway.

And, for those who are following along, yes, I do know about
the song "Hey, Paula!" sung by the group "Paul and Paula",
and I already have the 45.

>I guess that like what we have in South Africa, the agents for Linhof in the
>USA will have exclusive rights to sell the equipment in the USA. It may
>also mean that the factory may not be allowed to sell to you KNOWING that
>you are not a EU resident. Of course as a tourist, none of this applies,
>except any duty you may have to pay when you get back home.

I suspect that the contract Linhof have with HP marketing can control
whether they sell to other importers who are going to sell, but I
wonder about if it can rule out direct sales? Or, as Helge
pointed out, I can get a very good price (better than the US price
by far) by ordering from somewhere in the EU and paying duty.

>I will see if I can scan the Catalog and upload a text only version (there
>are not many pictures anyway) to my home page.

Thanks!

Guran Ellqvist

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

This with price comparison is not as easy as it may seem at first
glance. Of course everyone tries to charge as much as possible for the
things he is selling. There is some optimal point where the revenue will
be maximized, higher price will sell much less than to compensate for
the pricerise and similar for lowering the price where the increased
sales is not high enough to compensate for the lower price. We who are
living in Europe consider US prices to be low (at least thoose of us who
does not have a business to deduct the costs from) compared to European
prices as we will have to pay the VAT (or what the local salestax may be
called).

I am living in Sweden and have bought a lot of things in the US over
the last ten years. Normally I have had the things transported across
the Atlantic by myself or a friend of mine so the expensive shipping
charges does not apply. In most cases I will not pay tax and duty in
Sweden, but in som cases I have done that too and still saved a lot of
money.

The market in Sweden for Large Format stuff is very limited and this
might be one reason why prices are high. When I tell people that I have
a Large Format Camera the answer often is : "Oh, You have a Hasselblad".
A lot of the higher end of photography that at least in the US is done
with 4x5 is in Sweden done with Hasselblad. For nature work this has
started to change only in the last 5 years.

Conclusion is: When I compare Swedish prices with US prices they may
compare before salestax in some cases, but our salestax is 25% and that
favours US purchases. You also have to take currency exchangerate
fluctuation into account. The dollar has during this spring been very
strong while european currencies has gone down. Dealers normally tries
not to show short term changes in exchangerates in their pricelist. For
the moment this does not favour US purchases, but in a year or two the
situation may be the opposite.

/Guran

In article <e841hs0ednpmh2kc4...@4ax.com>,

Paul and Paula Butzi <bu...@halcyon.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 May 2000 21:32:53 +0100, h.na...@nareid.demon.co.uk (Helge
> Nareid) wrote:
>

> >On Wed, 03 May 2000 10:17:03 -0700, Paul and Paula Butzi
> ><bu...@halcyon.com> wrote:

> >>If I'm converting currency correctly that works out to US$3278.
> >>
> >>Wow. Is this difference reflected in the European retail
> >>prices as well? I could fly to Europe, hang around for a while,
> >>and fly back on the difference between $3278 and the price
> >>I get quoted here in Seattle.
> >

> >Let's see ...
> >
> >I happen to have a recent price list from Linhof & Studio in London
handy.

> >Master Technika 2000 is listed at £2498.11 (+17.5% VAT, which can

> >presumably be reclaimed by non-UK residents). I'm too lazy to convert
it
> >into $ myself at the moment.
>
> 2498.11 pounds is about $3900 US.
>
> Still better than US prices by a substantial margin.
>

> -Paul
> --
> Articles on B&W photography, camera and equipment reviews, and
photographs at:
> http://www.asymptote.com/butzi (updated 3/2/00)
> (Latest change - review of lenses for Leica M cameras)

--
http://welcome.to/gurans_photo
Building 4x5 field camera, tripod, making camera bags, how to carry

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.