Minolta announces SSM lenses

Bill Tuthill

Mar 19, 2002, 12:47:21 PM3/19/02
In Japan, Minolta has announced three SSM (super sonic motor?) lenses
to fill glaring gaps in the produce lineup. Speculation is that the
70-200/2.8 (and maybe 28-70/2.8) will have nonroating front element.
Here are some photos with Japanese text:

http://www.minolta.com/japan/press02/org/02-03-19_j.html

These lenses will be announced at Photo Expo 2002:

AF zoom 28-70mm f/2.8 G(D) SSM
AF telezoom 70-200mm f/2.8 G(D) SSM
AF tele 300mm f/2.8 G(D) SSM

Alan Browne

Mar 19, 2002, 4:34:16 PM3/19/02

COCKSUCKERS !!!

Now that I have Maxxum 28-70 f/2.8 G and 80-200 f/2.8 G they go and do
this!

SONS-A-BITCHES !!!

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

Why don't they DO what we WANT which is a DIGITAL BODY????

Alan.

Bill Tuthill wrote:

--
Lert's live longer.
Be A Lert.

Joe

Mar 19, 2002, 5:50:03 PM3/19/02
What the hell is wrong with them !
That all we get for 2002, I would be happy with a CCD digital back for my
Maxxum 9000 and bag of prime lenses.
Seen some new Minolta's in a shop, they looked like all the little "techie"
painted soccer mom toys.
No more 12EXP 400 print film to ...............Im getting really pissed !
Joe

p0lar

Mar 19, 2002, 7:07:19 PM3/19/02
Hey Joe. hope you not refering to my "soccer mom" wife..... :(

I would also like a CCD back to mine

"Joe" <joe...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

Barrett Benton

Mar 19, 2002, 9:32:34 PM3/19/02
In article <u9eud99...@corp.supernews.com>, Bill Tuthill
<ca_cr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Yikes...looks like I got off the SLR merry-go-round in the nick of time.

I *did* get a lot of years, and good pictures, from my 9xi system, but it
seemed everything in the SLR world was going in two distinct directions:
either small, cheap n' nasty, or large, heavy and anything but cheap. And
I was gettng a bit tired of lugging my otherwise wonderful 28-70 and
80-200 f/2.8 zooms here and there, leaving most of the gear at home more
and more. This was a case of capable equipment getting in the way of the
photography, so I had to make a change.

--
BWB
_______________________

Alan Browne

Mar 19, 2002, 10:17:18 PM3/19/02
There but for the grace of good glass go I....

Marko B.

Mar 19, 2002, 9:55:14 PM3/19/02

> Hey Joe. hope you not refering to my "soccer mom" wife..... :(
>
> I would also like a CCD back to mine

A wife with CCD back... that would be interesting to see ;)

Aren't you ppl happy that Minolta announced at least smth?!? I sure am.

m.

Lewis Lang

Mar 20, 2002, 5:43:09 AM3/20/02
>Subject: Re: Minolta announces SSM lenses
>From: bwbe...@bellatlantic.net.spamoff (Barrett Benton)
>Date: Wed, Mar 20, 2002 2:32 AM

So what kind of equipment do you use now and why (cameras/lenses), Contax G2,
digital, etc.?

Regards,

Lewis

I've set (anti-spam) controls to allow in only people on my list. If you want
to be on my list contact me through the newsgroup. I regret the inconvenience.
Thanks.

Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":

http://members.aol.com/Lewisvisn/home.htm

Mike Lipphardt

Mar 20, 2002, 7:04:39 AM3/20/02
Hee hee hee.

I'll take that 28-70 off your hands. Cheaply.

Anyway, the lenses shown are non-working prototypes. It may be two years
before they hit the streets. Relax.

Mike

"Alan Browne" <alan....@videotron.ca> wrote in message

Bill Tuthill

Mar 20, 2002, 12:11:52 PM3/20/02
Barrett Benton <bwbe...@bellatlantic.net.spamoff> wrote:

> I *did* get a lot of years, and good pictures, from my 9xi system, but it
> seemed everything in the SLR world was going in two distinct directions:
> either small, cheap n' nasty, or large, heavy and anything but cheap...

Ain't that the truth. Optically excellent but reasonably priced lenses
such as the Minolta 24-50/4, 35-70/4, and 70-210/4 are very rare nowadays.
Instead we get nondurable 28-80 and lightweight 75-300 lenses that are
crappy in many spots, or f/2.8 barbells.

Personally I was hoping for a telezoom with non-rotating front element
and 62 filter thread, to match the 24-105 D. I guess the 100-300 APO is
Minolta's idea of what I need.

Barrett Benton

Mar 20, 2002, 10:25:14 PM3/20/02
In article <20020320054309...@mb-fe.aol.com>,
cont...@aol.comnospam (Lewis Lang) wrote:

> So what kind of equipment do you use now and why (cameras/lenses), Contax G2,
> digital, etc.?
>
> Regards,
>
> Lewis

A Konica Hexar RF system (have the body and 28mm f/2.8; a second body,
50mm f/2 and 90mm f/2.8 will hopefully join it sometime later this year).
The two things that triggered my decision were 1) shooting a soccer game
with both 9xi cameras, the 80-200 f/2.8 around my neck, the 28-70mm f/2.8
slung over the shoulder. The pictures were great, but the fun was fading
fast; 2) was my second (and last) test flight of a Canon EOS 1D. I'm not
fond of contemporary digital cameras in general, and this camera didn't
change my mind too much (at least they mostly licked the shutter lag that
plagues 98% of "pro-sumer" digicams), but the main thing was that the
thing was Too Damn Big.

I'm tired of Big. I actually want to put all my gear in a small bag, sling
a tripod/monopod over the shoulder if necessary, and get on with it. The
RF has been a hell of a lot of fun so far (Lewis, I've got a fave shot
from the first roll I put through it, which I can "e" to you for an
example/critique, so you'll see what I mean).

Lewis Lang

Mar 20, 2002, 11:06:23 PM3/20/02
>Subject: Re: Minolta announces SSM lenses
>From: bwbe...@bellatlantic.net.spamoff (Barrett Benton)
>Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2002 3:25 AM

>In article <20020320054309...@mb-fe.aol.com>,
>cont...@aol.comnospam (Lewis Lang) wrote:
>

>> So what kind of equipment do you use now and why (cameras/lenses), Contax
>G2,
>> digital, etc.?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Lewis
>
>A Konica Hexar RF system (have the body and 28mm f/2.8; a second body,
>50mm f/2 and 90mm f/2.8 will hopefully join it sometime later this year).

Sounds like a sweet system, substitute a 24mm (my favorits focal length) for
the 28mm and it would be own I'd be happy to own ;-) :-)...

>The two things that triggered my decision were 1) shooting a soccer game
>with both 9xi cameras, the 80-200 f/2.8 around my neck, the 28-70mm f/2.8
>slung over the shoulder. The pictures were great, but the fun was fading
>fast;

I know the feeling... I used to own the F3HP/T (both of them at different times
in my "career") w/ MD-4 mtor drive(s) - talk about heavy and digging a hole
into your chest when you ran! :-)

2) was my second (and last) test flight of a Canon EOS 1D. I'm not
>fond of contemporary digital cameras in general, and this camera didn't
>change my mind too much (at least they mostly licked the shutter lag that
>plagues 98% of "pro-sumer" digicams), but the main thing was that the
>thing was Too Damn Big.

That (the bigness/weight) plus the lack of a high eyepoint and a real exposure
lock instead of an exposure hold (only the 1v? does an exposure lock that is
semi-permanent) is what has held me from going into this system full hog. I
still think its a great system, though I think I get more for my money (and
compactness) w/ a Maxxum 7.

>I'm tired of Big.

Who isn't? ;-)

I actually want to put all my gear in a small bag, sling
>a tripod/monopod over the shoulder if necessary, and get on with it.

Have you considered the Contax G2 or the Leica or the Voigtlander R-2/etc.
before/besides the Konica? Pentax and Olympus also make extremely
small/ightweight SLRs.

The
>RF has been a hell of a lot of fun so far (Lewis, I've got a fave shot
>from the first roll I put through it, which I can "e" to you for an
>example/critique, so you'll see what I mean).
>
>--
>BWB

I'd love to see it/critique it - could you possibly e-mail me a link to a web
page w/ the image on it when you get it scanned?

Thanks and Regards,

Lewis Lang

Mar 20, 2002, 11:09:48 PM3/20/02
I'd love a cheap straight f/3.5 throughout the zoom range:

24-85mm
24-105mm
35-70mm
35-105mm
70-210mm

I'm assuming SSM stands for Super Sonic Motor or Super Stabilization Motor -
any chance that these SSM lenses are Minolta's version of IS/VR, if not, what's
the big deal w/ them as my 7 has a custom function that allows direct full time
manual focus w/ any lens?

DM

Mar 21, 2002, 12:40:17 AM3/21/02
bwbe...@bellatlantic.net.spamoff (Barrett Benton) wrote in message news:<bwbenton-200...@pool-151-204-125-85.ny325.east.verizon.net>...

> A Konica Hexar RF system (have the body and 28mm f/2.8;

Cool choice. Dumped my EOS-3 and the heavy gear at home, and now
I travel with a light Elan-7e and a 35 f/2. It's probably as small
and light as the Hexar, and I know the feeling... light and free.
The bl**dy EOS-3, PBE2 and f/2.8 zooms were killing me.

Alexander Magedler

Mar 21, 2002, 12:56:56 AM3/21/02

> A Konica Hexar RF system (have the body and 28mm f/2.8; a second body,
> 50mm f/2 and 90mm f/2.8 will hopefully join it sometime later this year).
> The two things that triggered my decision were 1) shooting a soccer game
> with both 9xi cameras, the 80-200 f/2.8 around my neck, the 28-70mm f/2.8
> slung over the shoulder. The pictures were great, but the fun was fading
> fast; 2) was my second (and last) test flight of a Canon EOS 1D. I'm not
> fond of contemporary digital cameras in general, and this camera didn't
> change my mind too much (at least they mostly licked the shutter lag that
> plagues 98% of "pro-sumer" digicams), but the main thing was that the
> thing was Too Damn Big.

You took the words right out off my mouth ;-) Same here. Over the last
three months i sold a lot off my EOS gear and aquired a Hexar RF , 28,
50 and 90 M-Hexanon lenses and a Hexar Classic. Couldn´t be happier.

cu
Alex

Lewis Lang

Mar 21, 2002, 1:14:23 AM3/21/02
>Subject: Re: Minolta announces SSM lenses
>From: ajm-...@gmx.at (Alexander Magedler)
>Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2002 5:56 AM

I wish Konica (and Fujica too) would also go back into the 35mm SLR business
too. I think that the FM3A shows that there is some kind of market for new MF
gear.

amp@nospamverizon.net Joe

Mar 21, 2002, 1:55:09 AM3/21/02
Marko B. wrote in message

>> Hey Joe. hope you not refering to my "soccer mom" wife..... :(

No just "all" soccer moms yapping on the 4000 minute cellphone with a 4 ton
SUV.
Woman drive like crap to start with
On soccer mom drives down the one way **the wrong way** causes an accident,
gives me the finger and call me a drunk and fled the scene
I had crashed into the garbage cans going on the curb to avoid her, luckly
this cop saw it all and arrested her at her house.
Called my atterney, she's screwed, her husband now wants to pay me off.
New camera :) :)

"woman + SUV= instant gonads"..what a menace.

Lewis Lang

Mar 21, 2002, 5:38:06 AM3/21/02
>Subject: Re: Minolta announces SSM lenses
>From: "Joe" joe...@NOSPAMverizon.net
>Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2002 6:55 AM

Now that's the kind of story that brings tears to my wallet... well, somebody's
wallet ;-) :-)

Charo

Mar 21, 2002, 11:03:13 AM3/21/02
"Joe" <joe a...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

> Marko B. wrote in message
> >> Hey Joe. hope you not refering to my "soccer mom" wife..... :(
>
> No just "all" soccer moms yapping on the 4000 minute cellphone with a 4
ton
> SUV.
> Woman drive like crap to start with

AHEM....?

Bill Tuthill

Mar 21, 2002, 1:00:38 PM3/21/02
Lewis Lang <cont...@aol.comnospam> wrote:

> I'd love a cheap straight f/3.5 throughout the zoom range:
>
> 24-85mm
> 24-105mm
> 35-70mm
> 35-105mm
> 70-210mm

Tamron still makes a 70-210/3.5 but only in manual focus version.
I wouldn't even mind a 70-210/2.8-4.0 like the old Vivitar Series 1,
but with nonrotating front element (the Vivitar took 62 filters).

> I'm assuming SSM stands for Super Sonic Motor or Super Stabilization Motor -
> any chance that these SSM lenses are Minolta's version of IS/VR, if not,
> what's the big deal w/ them as my 7 has a custom function that allows
> direct full time manual focus w/ any lens?

Probably not Stabilization. The big deal is that SSM allows fast autofocus
and the 70-200/2.8 SSM has nonrotating front element, according to rumors.
Maybe the 28-70/2.8 SSM does also.

ajacobs2

Mar 21, 2002, 7:31:14 PM3/21/02
> I wish Konica (and Fujica too) would also go back into the 35mm SLR
business
> too. I think that the FM3A shows that there is some kind of market for new
MF
> gear.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lewis

No to hear tell it from reps at the PMA, not selling that well, many of the
stores don't even stock one....they have enough of the M and FE coming on
trade..for the whizbang electro models....Used 200 vs 550 New makes
difference to people looking for a body...

Alan Browne

Mar 21, 2002, 9:35:43 PM3/21/02
I don't want to relax. I want to bitch and moan.
You can have my 28-70 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Or for US$850.00 + S&H.

Cheers,
Alan.

ajacobs2

Mar 21, 2002, 10:50:45 PM3/21/02

"Bill Tuthill" <ca_cr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It would appear they will be in white finish, probably make the Canon guys
go nuts...
It was a Canon!, NO a Minolta!, NO a Canon and so forth......

Lewis Lang

Mar 22, 2002, 11:32:12 AM3/22/02
>Subject: Re: Minolta announces SSM lenses
>From: Bill Tuthill ca_cr...@yahoo.com
>Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2002 6:00 PM

>Lewis Lang <cont...@aol.comnospam> wrote:
>>
>> I'd love a cheap straight f/3.5 throughout the zoom range:
>>
>> 24-85mm
>> 24-105mm
>> 35-70mm
>> 35-105mm
>> 70-210mm
>
>Tamron still makes a 70-210/3.5 but only in manual focus version.
>I wouldn't even mind a 70-210/2.8-4.0 like the old Vivitar Series 1,
>but with nonrotating front element (the Vivitar took 62 filters).

I had that lens and hated it. Not because it was aparticularly bad lens, it was
Ok, but once you locked in an exposure reading and zoomed in or out and forgot
to unlock then relock the reading again you'd get over or under exposure
depending on which end of the zoom you locked at and zoomed to. Give me a fixed
aperture lens any day! - especially w/ cameras that don't compensate for
shifting apertures at different focal lengths like my Contax MF, Nikon MF (when
I had it), etc.

>> I'm assuming SSM stands for Super Sonic Motor or Super Stabilization Motor
>-
>> any chance that these SSM lenses are Minolta's version of IS/VR, if not,
>> what's the big deal w/ them as my 7 has a custom function that allows
>> direct full time manual focus w/ any lens?
>
>Probably not Stabilization. The big deal is that SSM allows fast autofocus
>and the 70-200/2.8 SSM has nonrotating front element, according to rumors.
>Maybe the 28-70/2.8 SSM does also.

Minoltas lenses seem to be fast enough on the 7, I would have preferred IS and
a 24-70 f/2.8 that focused down to a foot, oh well, may be next year...

Lewis Lang

Mar 22, 2002, 11:33:51 AM3/22/02
>Subject: Re: Minolta announces SSM lenses
>From: "ajacobs2" ajac...@tampabay.rr.com
>Date: Fri, Mar 22, 2002 12:31 AM

>> I wish Konica (and Fujica too) would also go back into the 35mm SLR
>business
>> too. I think that the FM3A shows that there is some kind of market for
>new
>MF
>> gear.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Lewis
>
>No to hear tell it from reps at the PMA, not selling that well,

SNIP

I'm sad to hear that... sigh....

Daniel ROCHA

Mar 22, 2002, 12:58:29 PM3/22/02
ajacobs2 <ajac...@tampabay.rr.com> a écrit dans le message :

> It would appear they will be in white finish, probably make the Canon guys
> go nuts...
> It was a Canon!, NO a Minolta!, NO a Canon and so forth......

No... Minolta have for a while their big lenses in white. It's not new :)

--
<+> WEb ~ hTML ~ PhOTo <+>
Portail : http://perso.magic.fr/drocha