Cleaning white powder left behind by leaking batteries

Polly the Parrott

Oct 21, 2012, 12:54:52 AM10/21/12
Nikon F5

Batteries or battery (AA) leaked, and now a residue of white powder
left behind in the battery holder and the battery compartment.

What is the best way to clean this up?

Any permanent damage caused by the leak that I should be aware of at
all?

Any other precautions?

As usual, thanks in advance for all replies.

DanP

Oct 21, 2012, 3:50:46 AM10/21/12
A good quantity of damp cotton earbuds.

DanP

flatula...@deadspam.com

Oct 21, 2012, 5:39:05 AM10/21/12
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 00:50:46 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan....@gmail.com>
wrote:
Water, or anything else?
>DanP

Robert Coe

Oct 21, 2012, 8:30:36 AM10/21/12
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 00:50:46 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Dampened with a solution of baking soda in water. I'm pretty sure the powder
is acidic, and therefore corrosive, and the baking soda will neutralize it.
Try to keep the water from leaking deeper into the camera, and dry it off
immediately.

Bob

Alan Browne

Oct 21, 2012, 10:43:35 AM10/21/12
Wear protective glasses.

Get an old toothbrush and dust/break away as much residue as you can
while making sure it falls out of the compartment.

Wash off the brush in water.

Clean the contacts with the brush dipped in white vinegar or another
dilute acid. (Mildly acid counteracts the alkaline product from the
battery).

Let dry and inspect before putting in fresh batts.

Generally (and you now know this), never leave alkaline batteries in a
device that's not being used. They will eventually leak. However it's
rare that there's any functional damage.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Alan Browne

Oct 21, 2012, 11:52:07 AM10/21/12
On 2012.10.21 08:30 , Robert Coe wrote:

> Dampened with a solution of baking soda in water. I'm pretty sure the powder
> is acidic, and therefore corrosive, and the baking soda will neutralize it.
> Try to keep the water from leaking deeper into the camera, and dry it off
> immediately.

BZZZT!

The leakage is alkaline, and therefore baking soda (alkaline) will just
increase the corrosion.

Use vinegar (acidic).

You do use baking soda with automobile battery terminals when they show
a buildup. That is acidic, so you use the alkaline baking soda for cleanup.

Fred McKenzie

Oct 21, 2012, 12:16:08 PM10/21/12
In article <87GdnVVVfNWKlxnN...@giganews.com>,
Alan Browne <alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> Generally (and you now know this), never leave alkaline batteries in a
> device that's not being used. They will eventually leak. However it's
> rare that there's any functional damage.

A salesman told me that Lithium batteries would NOT leak! Is that true?

He was trying to sell me Lithium batteries that cost two or three times
what Alkaline batteries cost. But if they never leak, it could be worth
it.

Fred

Alan Browne

Oct 21, 2012, 12:37:19 PM10/21/12
I don't know but it's plausible.

One of the claims about Energizer Lithium is that they last 8x longer.
So for 3x the price it would appear to be a very good deal. Maybe I'll
look for some for my GPS recorders which go about 12 hours on 3 AAA's.

Bo...@somewhere.com

Oct 21, 2012, 10:21:33 PM10/21/12
You didn't say what kind of battery's they were, but common battery's like
alkaline and ni-cad can leave behind a white powder, it is base, not acid. (The
old zinc-carbon batts were acid.)

DON'T use any liquid cleaner to clean up! You'll only spread the crap into the
camera! Use a brush and vacuum cleaner to remove the crap. Get an artists oil
type (stiff) paintbrush and cut the bristles to about 1/2 inch and use that. Run
the vacuum as you clean. Also you can use a dental pick or similar.

Don't breath the stuff or get it in your eyes!

The worse thing you can have is that the surface of the battery contact will be
ruined, and you might not get good contact with the next battery's you use...
you'll need a replacement. (What I used to do was solder a nickel plated washer
on top... do you know any tech's?)

I spent 20 years cleaning battery crap out of 2-way radios... it's fun eh?!

Alan Browne

Oct 22, 2012, 4:59:20 PM10/22/12
On 2012.10.21 22:21 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:54:52 +1100, Polly the Parrott
> <flatula...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
>> Nikon F5
>>
>> Batteries or battery (AA) leaked, and now a residue of white powder
>> left behind in the battery holder and the battery compartment.
>>
>> What is the best way to clean this up?
>>
>> Any permanent damage caused by the leak that I should be aware of at
>> all?
>>
>> Any other precautions?
>>
>> As usual, thanks in advance for all replies.
>
> You didn't say what kind of battery's they were, but common battery's like
> alkaline and ni-cad can leave behind a white powder, it is base, not acid. (The
> old zinc-carbon batts were acid.)
>
> DON'T use any liquid cleaner to clean up!

BZZT: use vinegar to neutralize the alkaline once most of the crud has
been removed.

You'll only spread the crap into the
> camera! Use a brush and vacuum cleaner to remove the crap. Get an artists oil
> type (stiff) paintbrush and cut the bristles to about 1/2 inch and use that. Run
> the vacuum as you clean. Also you can use a dental pick or similar.
>
> Don't breath the stuff or get it in your eyes!
>
> The worse thing you can have is that the surface of the battery contact will be
> ruined, and you might not get good contact with the next battery's you use...
> you'll need a replacement. (What I used to do was solder a nickel plated washer
> on top... do you know any tech's?)
>
> I spent 20 years cleaning battery crap out of 2-way radios... it's fun eh?!

Bo...@somewhere.com

Oct 22, 2012, 8:08:05 PM10/22/12
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:59:20 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>On 2012.10.21 22:21 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:54:52 +1100, Polly the Parrott
>> <flatula...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nikon F5
>>>
>>> Batteries or battery (AA) leaked, and now a residue of white powder
>>> left behind in the battery holder and the battery compartment.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to clean this up?
>>>
>>> Any permanent damage caused by the leak that I should be aware of at
>>> all?
>>>
>>> Any other precautions?
>>>
>>> As usual, thanks in advance for all replies.
>>
>> You didn't say what kind of battery's they were, but common battery's like
>> alkaline and ni-cad can leave behind a white powder, it is base, not acid. (The
>> old zinc-carbon batts were acid.)
>>
>> DON'T use any liquid cleaner to clean up!
>
>BZZT: use vinegar to neutralize the alkaline once most of the crud has
>been removed.

It's very dangerous to use liquids on electronics if you aren't prepared to
totally open the device if you spill liquid inside. If you can remove all the
powder using dry techniques, there is no reason to neutralize what isn't there!
Remember, the acid cleaner is just as dangerous as the original chemical spill,
even the fumes can corrode. Since I don't know the OP's skill level, but suspect
it isn't technician level, I would suggest caution.

Alan Browne

Oct 23, 2012, 5:57:52 PM10/23/12
On 2012.10.22 20:08 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:59:20 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2012.10.21 22:21 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:

>>> DON'T use any liquid cleaner to clean up!
>>
>> BZZT: use vinegar to neutralize the alkaline once most of the crud has
>> been removed.
>
> It's very dangerous to use liquids on electronics if you aren't prepared to
> totally open the device if you spill liquid inside. If you can remove all the
> powder using dry techniques, there is no reason to neutralize what isn't there!
> Remember, the acid cleaner is just as dangerous as the original chemical spill,
> even the fumes can corrode. Since I don't know the OP's skill level, but suspect
> it isn't technician level, I would suggest caution.

Wetting a toothbrush with vinegar is not going to result in much
moisture in the unit - but it will neutralize the alkali - which left
behind remains corrosive (hint: can't be removed with "dry" techniques
unless you remove the metal of the contacts).

And after application, appropriate wiping and drying time results in a
dry usable unit.

I've done this half a dozen times or so. No problems.

Bo...@somewhere.com

Oct 23, 2012, 8:10:26 PM10/23/12
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:57:52 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>On 2012.10.22 20:08 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:59:20 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>>> BZZT: use vinegar to neutralize the alkaline once most of the crud has
>>> been removed.
>>
>> It's very dangerous to use liquids on electronics if you aren't prepared to
>> totally open the device if you spill liquid inside. If you can remove all the
>> powder using dry techniques, there is no reason to neutralize what isn't there!
>> Remember, the acid cleaner is just as dangerous as the original chemical spill,
>> even the fumes can corrode. Since I don't know the OP's skill level, but suspect
>> it isn't technician level, I would suggest caution.
>
>Wetting a toothbrush with vinegar is not going to result in much
>moisture in the unit

"much" being relative...

> - but it will neutralize the alkali - which left
>behind remains corrosive (hint: can't be removed with "dry" techniques
>unless you remove the metal of the contacts).

I'd say if the contacts are that far gone they won't be usable, and need
replacing.

>And after application, appropriate wiping and drying time results in a
>dry usable unit.
>
>I've done this half a dozen times or so. No problems.

I did it every day for 10 years or more... but anyway, it depends on the skill
of the perpetrator as well as the actual battery compartment. Some, if not most,
cameras have a deep recess where it's difficult to get at. Applying liquid with
a brush could easily have it run down the wires into the camera, where it ends
up no one knows. Unlike the average consumer, I could remove the parts for a
more thorough cleaning. I would never tell amateurs to use liquid acid on their
cameras! Who knows how sloppy people can be!

Anyway, if you can guarantee not to ruin the camera, your method would work.
Maybe if you see any holes around the area you could plug them up first.

Alan Browne

Oct 24, 2012, 5:37:31 PM10/24/12
On 2012.10.23 20:10 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:

> more thorough cleaning. I would never tell amateurs to use liquid acid on their
> cameras! Who knows how sloppy people can be!

Vinegar is about 2% acid. Pretty mild.

Bo...@somewhere.com

Oct 24, 2012, 7:58:55 PM10/24/12
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:37:31 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>On 2012.10.23 20:10 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
>
>> more thorough cleaning. I would never tell amateurs to use liquid acid on their
>> cameras! Who knows how sloppy people can be!
>
>Vinegar is about 2% acid. Pretty mild.

Now I'm curious... did you ever leave batteries too long in a camera?

I once made a real mess in an old voltmeter... was SURE I removed the batts!

Alan Browne

Oct 25, 2012, 7:15:18 PM10/25/12
On 2012.10.24 19:58 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:37:31 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2012.10.23 20:10 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
>>
>>> more thorough cleaning. I would never tell amateurs to use liquid acid on their
>>> cameras! Who knows how sloppy people can be!
>>
>> Vinegar is about 2% acid. Pretty mild.
>
> Now I'm curious... did you ever leave batteries too long in a camera?

Not in cameras. But that wouldn't change how I cleaned the compartment.
I've left them in a variety of widgets from Walkman tape players to
other things. But most of the cleaning has been when friends/family did
the same and a little TLC (and vinegar) restored the device to full
function. Though in that there were a couple unsalvageables (or not
worth the bother).

> I once made a real mess in an old voltmeter... was SURE I removed the batts!

I'm bad with that. Usually I remove them after I come across something
and then remove the batts. Usually no issue. I haven't had an alkaline
burst in years (KOW).

BTW: What happened to your worldwide walk in Hudson?

Bo...@somewhere.com

Oct 25, 2012, 9:56:53 PM10/25/12
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:15:18 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>On 2012.10.24 19:58 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:37:31 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>>> Vinegar is about 2% acid. Pretty mild.
>>
>> Now I'm curious... did you ever leave batteries too long in a camera?
>
>Not in cameras. But that wouldn't change how I cleaned the compartment.
> I've left them in a variety of widgets from Walkman tape players to
>other things. But most of the cleaning has been when friends/family did
>the same and a little TLC (and vinegar) restored the device to full
>function. Though in that there were a couple unsalvageables (or not
>worth the bother).
>
>> I once made a real mess in an old voltmeter... was SURE I removed the batts!
>
>I'm bad with that. Usually I remove them after I come across something
>and then remove the batts. Usually no issue. I haven't had an alkaline
>burst in years (KOW).
>
>BTW: What happened to your worldwide walk in Hudson?

I didn't feel up to going to Hudson... would prefer a closer location, also
would really prefer the summertime!

You said you might arrange one next year up around Ste Therese or somewhere?
That I might go to... my nephew lives up there near the 640 and the 25 I think
it is... he's a part time wedding photographer. He might be interested as
well...

Alan Browne

Oct 26, 2012, 11:31:01 AM10/26/12
On 2012.10.25 21:56 , Bo...@somewhere.com wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:15:18 -0400, Alan Browne

>> BTW: What happened to your worldwide walk in Hudson?
>
> I didn't feel up to going to Hudson... would prefer a closer location, also
> would really prefer the summertime!

The day in question was very pleasant and warm with autumn colours just
emerging.

> You said you might arrange one next year up around Ste Therese or somewhere?

More like St-Jérôme.

William Tay

Feb 9, 2024, 7:30:17 PMFeb 9
If you're interested in exploring the world of psychedelic mushrooms, you may be wondering if it's possible to buy shrooms online. The good news is that there are many online retailers that offer a wide range of mushroom products, from dried mushrooms to capsules, edibles, and more.
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/57?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/148?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/128
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/120
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/118?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/54
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/46
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/16?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/11?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/6
With a large selection of products to meet our clients' demands, Buy Psychedelics Online Shop is your go-to online drug store. We work hard to provide the best Legal Psychedelics For Sale Online and ship our goods internationally from everywhere.
With a large selection of products to meet our clients' demands, Buy Psychedelics Online Shop is your go-to online drug store. We work hard to provide the best Legal Psychedelics For Sale Online and ship our goods internationally from everywhere.

Buy Dmt Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/610
Buy Top Quality Pink Runtz In USA
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/609
Buy Packwood disposable catrideges Online
Order Big Chief Gummies Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/603
Order Edibles in Europe
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/598
Buy Gel Tabs Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/596
Buy One Up Psilocybin mushrooms microdose Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/596
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/593
Buy Percs Online M30
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/573
Buy XTC Pills Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/571
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/570
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/567
Buy Ketamine Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/566
Buy Trippy Flip Chocolate Bars In USA
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/566
Buy Space Caps Chocolate Bars Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/566
Buy LSD Sheet In USA
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/560
Buy Trippy Money 500mg Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/560
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/556
Order LSD Sheet Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/552
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/548
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/546
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/540
Buy Escasy Pills Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/539
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/53
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/520
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/517
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/501?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/497
Buy Dried Golden Teacher Mushrooms Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/490
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/487
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/477
Buy Hash Online