625 Battery for OM-1

Andrea Neuhaus

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Some time ago I stopped using an OM-1 body and removed the battery. I've
decided to begin using the camera and I've discovered the mercury battery
specified is no longer available.

I've heard from a camera repair shop in Boston that use of a replacement
alkaline battery should work fine although the voltage is a little
different from the mercury unit; I've also heard from other sources that
the official company line from Olympus is that meter damage may result from
use of an alkaline 625 replacement.

Any advice or information concerning this problem is welcome and any fixes
to keep this camera in service would be appreciated.

Wade Fulp

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Andrea Neuhaus wrote in message <67ohun$o...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

You can try the new zinc air batteries. I believe they make a replacement
for the 625. Also known as Wein cells. The put out a stable voltage, the
same as mercury, but I believe they have a short life, approx. 3 months, but
I'm not positive. They are activated by pulling off a sticker to allow air
into the battery (there are small holes on the one side of the battery).

-Wade in PA

frank goodman

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

how about using the camera without the battery great way to learn
without the help of electronics-used one for ten years no battery-read
guidelines and used other peoples brains to figure out problems read
books and watch this newsgroup for help with the other stuff-thanks
chuck and fred and of course kennedy. fg

Randy Eubanks

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Or he could get a Wein Products MRB-625 zinc-air battery, it has the same
1.35v rating and a similar voltage dropoff curve to the old mercury
batteries. I use one in mt Minolta SRT-102 and it works great! Most decent
camera stores and repair houses should carry it. (I get mine locally from
Camera Service Center in Culver City, CA. (310)397-0072)

L8R:Randy

Anon

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Darrell A. Larose wrote:
<snip>
> 625 batteries seem to be common stock in camera stores here in Canada.
<snip>
> They cost about $7.00 Cdn (about USD $5.00) There is also the akaline
> replacement, but they do have a shorter life
<Snip>

625's are not available in the U.S., I believe, because of EPA
regulations regarding the mercury content of the battery.
FYI, a couple of months ago I bought the shelf stock of 625 Varta
batteries at a camera shop at Narita airport (Tokyo) for 200 Yen (a
little under $2 US) a piece. I wonder how much cheaper they were off
the airports premises. I thought things were much more expensive in
Japan than almost anywhere else in the world.

By

Jeff Spirer

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

Andrea Neuhaus wrote:

> Some time ago I stopped using an OM-1 body and removed the battery. I've
> decided to begin using the camera and I've discovered the mercury battery
> specified is no longer available.
>
> I've heard from a camera repair shop in Boston that use of a replacement
> alkaline battery should work fine although the voltage is a little
> different from the mercury unit; I've also heard from other sources that
> the official company line from Olympus is that meter damage may result from
> use of an alkaline 625 replacement.
>
> Any advice or information concerning this problem is welcome and any fixes
> to keep this camera in service would be appreciated.

Mercury batteries are widely available outside the US, including Canada
and Europe. If you have friends there, or traveling there, you should
be able to obtain them.

--
Jeff Spirer
http://www.hyperreal.org/axiom/

Darrell A. Larose

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

"Andrea Neuhaus" (neud...@worldnet.att.net) writes:
> Some time ago I stopped using an OM-1 body and removed the battery. I've
> decided to begin using the camera and I've discovered the mercury battery
> specified is no longer available.
>
> I've heard from a camera repair shop in Boston that use of a replacement
> alkaline battery should work fine although the voltage is a little
> different from the mercury unit; I've also heard from other sources that
> the official company line from Olympus is that meter damage may result from
> use of an alkaline 625 replacement.
>
> Any advice or information concerning this problem is welcome and any fixes
> to keep this camera in service would be appreciated.

625 batteries seem to be common stock in camera stores here in Canada.

My guess is that mercury freezes at -40, which we consider a balmy day ;-)
In Ottawa I know of three photo shops that have them

http://www.camera-exchange.com
http://www.focuscentre.com
http://www.ginnphoto.on.ca

They cost about $7.00 Cdn (about USD $5.00) There is also the akaline
replacement, but they do have a shorter life

Darrell Larose http://www.newforce.ca/darrell
Photo Technician
Ottawa, Canada dar...@newforce.ca

Bob Sull

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97
to Andrea Neuhaus

Andrea Neuhaus wrote:

> Some time ago I stopped using an OM-1 body and removed the battery. I've
> decided to begin using the camera and I've discovered the mercury battery
> specified is no longer available.
>
> I've heard from a camera repair shop in Boston that use of a replacement
> alkaline battery should work fine although the voltage is a little
> different from the mercury unit; I've also heard from other sources that
> the official company line from Olympus is that meter damage may result from
> use of an alkaline 625 replacement.
>
> Any advice or information concerning this problem is welcome and any fixes
> to keep this camera in service would be appreciated.

I don't know about damaging the meter, but readings will be off. The Mercury
cell is 1.35V and Alkalines are 1.5V, an increase of more than 10%.

Another factor is that mercury cells were chosen for, among other reasons, the
fact that they have a constant out put till they die. They are 1.35V from
birth to death. Alkalines gradually lose voltage output as they are depleted.

There was a post from a Canadian Dealer(?) that can sell us mercury cells. I
don't have his name though.....

Happy Holidays,
Bob

WKato

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

>Some time ago I stopped using an OM-1 body and removed the battery. I've
>decided to begin using the camera and I've discovered the mercury battery
>specified is no longer available

The most elegant and probably most accurate solution to your problem is the
MR-9 adapter by CRIS Camera at 800-216-7579.
This adapter uses a silver S76 battery and a Schott diode to produce the
correct voltage. S76es are available anywhere.

wk...@aol.com

Wade Fulp

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

Randy Eubanks wrote in message <34A056B6...@keyway.net>...

>Or he could get a Wein Products MRB-625 zinc-air battery, it has the same
>1.35v rating and a similar voltage dropoff curve to the old mercury
>batteries. I use one in mt Minolta SRT-102 and it works great! Most decent
>camera stores and repair houses should carry it. (I get mine locally from
>Camera Service Center in Culver City, CA. (310)397-0072)

How long are those zinc-air batteries lasting for you?

-Wade in PA

GoldenCrab

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

> How long are those zinc-air batteries lasting for you?

I had one of these sitting in my OM-1 for about 8 years when I wasn't
using the camera and it worked fine when I picked it back up. Its
advertised shelf life is 10 years. Their good batteries and fairly cheap
to replace. By the way, beware of a regular 625 (PX625) 1.5 volt
battery--I've heard horror stories of this battery frying the metering
system. The camera is designed for a 1.35 mercury, so don't overload it
with a 1.5 volt alkaline. Good Luck!

(The Wein Cell is designed for the OM-1. Its code number is MRB625. Wein
Products Inc. is at 115 West 25th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007. If all
else fails, order one direct from them).

**Anti-spam--To respond via e-mail, remove the "11"s from the e-mail address. Thanks.

Kennedy

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

In article <11goldencrab-2...@shiva-lr15-7.ucsf.edu>,
GoldenCrab <11gold...@aol.11com> writes

>> How long are those zinc-air batteries lasting for you?
>
>I had one of these sitting in my OM-1 for about 8 years when I wasn't
>using the camera and it worked fine when I picked it back up. Its
>advertised shelf life is 10 years. Their good batteries and fairly cheap
>to replace. By the way, beware of a regular 625 (PX625) 1.5 volt
>battery--I've heard horror stories of this battery frying the metering
>system.
Not with OM-1's you haven't - ant if you have, they certainly weren't
true!

The OM-1 is the simplest possible moving coil and photodiode circuit -
an extra 150mV is not going to harm it, but it will knock the meter
reading off!

--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers (remove spamfree. when replying)

Drnogood2

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Two experiences trying to get the 625 out of the country: After reading that
they were available in Canada, I asked a friend of mine to check when she went
back home this fall. She came back & told me that she got reamed out by the
clerk when she asked. He accused her of evirnomental ignorance. Anyway, she
didn't score any. I guess you have to be careful who you ask.
I was in Taipei, Taiwan earlier this month & went to the street where most of
the camera shops are located. At first, all I got shown was the alkaline
version, then, about to give up on finding them, after being shown the
alkalines at one shop, I said, "No, mercury", and the guy pulled out a box
with the 625s. They are Varta made in Germany. The price was$100NT (About
$3.12). I may have gotten a discount, too. Of course, since they are
environmentally questionable, I passed :)

foto person

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 08:12:07 +0000, Kennedy
<r...@kennedym.nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <11goldencrab-2...@shiva-lr15-7.ucsf.edu>,
>GoldenCrab <11gold...@aol.11com> writes
>>> How long are those zinc-air batteries lasting for you?
>>
>>I had one of these sitting in my OM-1 for about 8 years when I wasn't
>>using the camera and it worked fine when I picked it back up. Its
>>advertised shelf life is 10 years. Their good batteries and fairly cheap
>>to replace. By the way, beware of a regular 625 (PX625) 1.5 volt
>>battery--I've heard horror stories of this battery frying the metering
>>system.
>Not with OM-1's you haven't - ant if you have, they certainly weren't
>true!
>
>The OM-1 is the simplest possible moving coil and photodiode circuit -
>an extra 150mV is not going to harm it, but it will knock the meter
>reading off!

Are you saying that there is no voltage regulator on the circuit? . .
.that the accuracy of the OM-1 is dependent upon the voltage of the
625?

Charlie

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

foto person wrote:

> Are you saying that there is no voltage regulator on the circuit? . .
> .that the accuracy of the OM-1 is dependent upon the voltage of the
> 625?

I'm not the person you quoted, but the answer is yes.

--
Charlie Newark, DE

To reply by email please remove antispam "TY" from address.

Larry English

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

foto person wrote:
foto person wrote:

> Are you saying that there is no voltage regulator on the circuit? . .
> .that the accuracy of the OM-1 is dependent upon the voltage of the
> 625?

yep.

lots of old cameras and light meters are the same way - the battery
is supposed to be self-regulating, and the mercury cells were.

wle.

Kennedy

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

In article <34a7e04...@news.pacbell.net>, foto person
<nob...@nowhere.org> writes

>On Sun, 28 Dec 1997 08:12:07 +0000, Kennedy
><r...@kennedym.nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In article <11goldencrab-2...@shiva-lr15-7.ucsf.edu>,
>>GoldenCrab <11gold...@aol.11com> writes
>>>
>>>I had one of these sitting in my OM-1 for about 8 years when I wasn't
>>>using the camera and it worked fine when I picked it back up. Its
>>>advertised shelf life is 10 years. Their good batteries and fairly cheap
>>>to replace. By the way, beware of a regular 625 (PX625) 1.5 volt
>>>battery--I've heard horror stories of this battery frying the metering
>>>system.
>>Not with OM-1's you haven't - ant if you have, they certainly weren't
>>true!
>>
>>The OM-1 is the simplest possible moving coil and photodiode circuit -
>>an extra 150mV is not going to harm it, but it will knock the meter
>>reading off!
>
>Are you saying that there is no voltage regulator on the circuit? . .
>.that the accuracy of the OM-1 is dependent upon the voltage of the
>625?

Yep - most mercury battery powered meters rely on the stable voltage
characteristics of the battery to provide the reference voltage. The
voltage characteristic of the mercury cell are similar to that of a
cheap regulator circuit and certainly not worth worrying about in the
context of a simple photometer which only requires an accuracy of +/-25%
(1/4stop).

Richard Wong

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

To those who are still looking for a replacement for PX625, there is an
adapter called MR-9, that looks like a PX625, but has a cavity that takes a
commonly found SR44 silver oxide 1.5V cell. The MR-9 adjusts the voltage
to 1.35V, and no adjustment is needed in the camera. Works with all
cameras that uses PX-625 mercury cells.

You can obtain the MR-9 from Camtech, goto :

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/olympustech1997/4.htm

Incidentally, I would recommend Camtech for quality Olympus service.

regards,
Richard

SUZUKI Ryuji

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

In article <34A810BB...@atlanta.nsc.com> Larry English <leng...@atlanta.nsc.com> writes:

lots of old cameras and light meters are the same way - the battery
is supposed to be self-regulating, and the mercury cells were.

I try to summarize a bit about batteries and metering
circuits I know. I welcome comments, suggestions, bug reports,
more info to be added by an email to s117...@umassd.edu. If I
receive a lot of these, I will make better edited version
reflecting those comments soon. (This is a quick-cook.)

Please * do * not * redistribute * this writing without asking me
anywhere besides this newsgroup since I won't be happy when I find
fatal mistakes later.

* Battery Types *

- Mercury

A single cell has emf (electromotive force, the voltage a battery
gives) of between 1.3V and 1.4V depending on additive. Typical
cells give 1.35V. The emf is stable over its life.

- Silver Oxide

A single cell has the emf of 1.5V stable over its life.

- Alkaline

A single cell has emf of 1.5V not as stable as the two above.

- Lithium

A single cell has emf of 3.0V stable over its life.
Long life, much less likely to leak, i.e., safe to leave the
battery in the camera for a long period of time.
This battery dies rather suddenly. Keep spares!

- Zinc air

A single cell has emf of 1.35V stable over its life. (Don't know
much about this because I don't use it...)

Some OM-1's are modified to accept 1.5V cell because this service
had been provided by Olympus (I don't know about now). Even with
this kind of modification, you should use the silver oxide cell
instead of alkaline cell whenever possible because the former
provides much more stable voltage over the life, keeping the
accuracy of the meter.

Some cameras need two PX-675, or H-C cells. If these cameras are
readjusted to give correct readings with 1.5V cells, you have an
option to use the lithium cell which provides very stable voltage.
The lithium cell with the same size as two PX-675 is called
CR-1/3N, DL-1/3N, 2L76BP depending on the manufacturer. Radio
Shack has one for $4.79.

* Metering Circuit *

(I discuss only analog types with a traditional needle meter and
CdS light sensor. If you have junk cameras you don't need, please
give me so that I can analyze them to expand this section :-)

- bridge type

You adjust aperture and shutter speed to bring the needle at the
center of the scale, where the needle would sit at when power is
off. The larger the difference from the proper exposure, the
larger the needle deflection from the center position.
I.e., no current flow through the meter when exposure is correct,
and a plus or minus current flows when exposure is off.

The reading of the meters of this type are not voltage
dependent. You can use cheap alkaline cell in place of mercury one
and still have the equal accuracy.

However, this is not the type OM-1 belongs to.

- the type which meter indicates proper aperture
- match needle type other than bridge type

If you use a battery with wrong voltage, the error will not be
as great when the light level is low but will be large under
bright conditions. There are several variations in the circuit;
some give more error with slow films, some give more error with
slower shutter settings, etc. I.e., the degree of the error in the
reading is fluctuating with various factors and not constant.

Most of the meter circuit configuration other than the bridge
balancing type belong here, including: OM-1, SRT series, all
lock-needle AE cameras. With these cameras, you should use
proper battery cell to assure that the readings are accurate.

We often hear things like "this camera gives 2/3 stops off if used
with a 1.5V alkaline cell" but just shifting the film speed
setting doesn't guarantee the enough accuracy over the wide range
of illumination, shutter and aperture settings. If you use this
method, I strongly recommend that you calibrate your "shift
factor" for all the film speeds you use, over the wide range of
brightness before you apply the method to a practical purpose.

* Battery Converters / Adaptors, Modifying a Camera *

There are battery adapters which take modern 1.5V cells to emulate
a PX-675 or any other common mercury cell. Such units commonly use
Schottky barrier diodes with the proper barrier to drop the
desired voltage. The voltage drop of a diode is proportional to
the logarithm of (the current flowing through the diode + some
constant), therefore not quite constant if the current varies
widely, which is the case of a CdS light meter. A typical current
range of a CdS light meter is from the order of microamperes to a
few milliamperes. [This depends on number of CdS cells, battery
cells and the sensitivity of the galvanometer. SLR's often use two
battery cells and two CdS cells to achieve wider range whereas
rangefinder cameras usually use one battery and one CdS cell.]

If you measure the voltage supplied by a 1.5V cell with such a
converter with a digital volt meter, you'll see some value higher
than 1.35V. This happens in a camera when the CdS sensor receives
only a little light, but you don't have to worry about it because,
in such a condition, the meter reading error owing to the voltage
difference is very small. When the sensor receives plenty of
light, the meter drains more current so the voltage stays close to
the 1.35V.

It's not a good idea to drop the voltage of a lithium cell down to
1.35V using a few diodes in series. Diodes diminish the stability
of the cell alone. However, dropping 3V down to 1.35 x 2 = 2.7V to
substitute two mercury cells is a good idea, because this can be
achieved with one Schottky diode with proper barrier.

It is possible to stabilize the voltage supplied to the light
meter with a voltage regulator. However, this methods require more
current for the regulator itself than the meter part. This
certainly shortens the life of the battery especially since a
small button cell doesn't have a lot energy in it. If you approach
this way, you have to put this part after the switch and you
should turn off the switch very often.

Some cameras don't have a power switch at all. This is because the
light meter drains only a tiny amount of current when the lens
(sensor) is properly capped. Some other cameras do have a switch
but you usually don't have to turn off often, as long as the
sensor is covered. (Turn off switch when you store the camera.)

If you have a good craft skill, knowledge of electronics, access
to a good parts supply (low barrier Schottky diodes are not easy
to find), and the tools, of course you can modify your camera yourself but
please be careful not to damage the camera.

There is another way to compensate the voltage difference: adjust
the potentio trimmers. You need equipment for calibration this
way. (Simple enough to make one yourself, but remember you have to
calibrate over a wide range of light intensity. If you make a
mistake here, you are making the situation even worse than before!)
--
Ryuji Suzuki
s117...@UMassD.Edu

** Short advertising... email me at s117...@umassd.edu if interested.

I have a few Minolta Hi-Matic 7 for sale for about US$70.
This is a fixed lens (45mm F1.8) 35mm mechanical rangefinder camera
great for street photo, party photo and daylight flash applications.
Overhauled and modified to accept modern silver oxide or alkaline battery.

I have one SEAL SEALECTOR TACKING IRON (original) for sale.
Teflon coated tip, temp control, in good condition.
in box with a stand.
This is a good one but I don't have a mount press here.

SUZUKI Ryuji

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

EdMall

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

>Some cameras need two PX-675, or H-C cells. If these cameras are
>readjusted to give correct readings with 1.5V cells, you have an
>option to use the lithium cell which provides very stable voltage.
>The lithium cell with the same size as two PX-675 is called
>CR-1/3N, DL-1/3N, 2L76BP depending on the manufacturer. Radio
>Shack has one for $4.79.

WARNING.
Although it will fit, DO NOT USE the CR1/3N in the OM2, 3, 4, or PC. It will
not work and it may seriously damage the electronics.
Check out:
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html

for more info.

Hope this helps
Ed

SUZUKI Ryuji

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

* Battery Types *

- Mercury

- Silver Oxide

- Alkaline

- Lithium

- Zinc air

Some cameras need two PX-675, or H-C cells. If these cameras are

readjusted to give correct readings with 1.5V cells, you have an
option to use the lithium cell which provides very stable voltage.
The lithium cell with the same size as two PX-675 is called
CR-1/3N, DL-1/3N, 2L76BP depending on the manufacturer. Radio
Shack has one for $4.79.

* Metering Circuit *

Kennedy

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

In article <19980101011...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, EdMall
<edm...@aol.com> writes

>>Some cameras need two PX-675, or H-C cells. If these cameras are
>>readjusted to give correct readings with 1.5V cells, you have an
>>option to use the lithium cell which provides very stable voltage.
>>The lithium cell with the same size as two PX-675 is called
>>CR-1/3N, DL-1/3N, 2L76BP depending on the manufacturer. Radio
>>Shack has one for $4.79.
>
>WARNING.
>Although it will fit, DO NOT USE the CR1/3N in the OM2, 3, 4, or PC. It will
>not work and it may seriously damage the electronics.
>Check out:
>http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html

Ed, I don't know the CR - 1/3N DL-1/3N or 2L76BP adapters, but if they
fit a PX-625 diameter then they won't fit the OM-2, 3 or 4! :)

EdMall

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

>>WARNING.
>>Although it will fit, DO NOT USE the CR1/3N in the OM2, 3, 4, or PC. It
>will
>>not work and it may seriously damage the electronics.
>>Check out:
>>http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html
>>
>Ed, I don't know the CR - 1/3N DL-1/3N or 2L76BP adapters, but if they
>fit a PX-625 diameter then they won't fit the OM-2, 3 or 4! :)
>--
>Kennedy

You certainly are correct there. The Cr1/3 is about the size of two SR44
batteries. It will NOT work in their place in any Olympus camera.

SUZUKI Ryuji

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

>Ed, I don't know the CR - 1/3N DL-1/3N or 2L76BP adapters, but if they
>fit a PX-625 diameter then they won't fit the OM-2, 3 or 4! :)
>--
>Kennedy

This article has not arrived at my news server yet but there seems
to be a confusion here.

First of all, my original writing says:

I (jf7wex, Ryuji Suzuki) wrote:
| Some cameras need two PX-675, or H-C cells. If these cameras are
| readjusted to give correct readings with 1.5V cells, you have an
| option to use the lithium cell which provides very stable voltage.
| The lithium cell with the same size as two PX-675 is called
| CR-1/3N, DL-1/3N, 2L76BP depending on the manufacturer. Radio
| Shack has one for $4.79.

The PX-675, H-C, or 76 type battery is different from PX-625
battery. PX-675 is the one used in OM-2, 3, 4 and many others
whereas PX-625 is a larger in size and used in OM-1, Minolta SRT
series and many others. They are different and a CR-1/3N is in
about the same size as two PX-675 cells. To best of my knowledge,
I have never seen a camera which takes two PX-625 cells.

CR-1/3N, DL-1/3N and 2L76BP are the name of the lithum battery,
not an adapter. The size of the CR-1/3N is the same as two PX-675
(not same as PX-625) and therefore a CR-1/3N WILL FIT in OM-2, 3,
4, but the Olympus SLR FAQ says it won't work well.

You certainly are correct there. The Cr1/3 is about the size of two SR44
batteries. It will NOT work in their place in any Olympus camera.

Therefore, Kennedy was not quite correct there.

edm...@aol.com (EdMall) writes:
>>WARNING.
>>Although it will fit, DO NOT USE the CR1/3N in the OM2, 3, 4, or PC. It
>will
>>not work and it may seriously damage the electronics.
>>Check out:
>>http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html

This URL goes to the Olympus SLR FAQ which says:

Also, a lithium cell the size of two SR44's will *not* work
properly in those cameras that take SR44's. It will power the
camera OK for a while, but its voltage will quickly drop below the
minimum necessary for proper operation.

and it doesn't say that the battery may seriously damage the
camera. I do not think there is a chance to damage a camera by
using CR-1/3N in OM-2, 3, 4 because the voltage is the same, the
amount of the current deawn from the battery is too small to let
the internal resistance of a cell make a difference. I don't know
why the FAQ says not to use the CR-1/3N, maybe because Olympus said
so and the complier believed what they said.

The FAQ says that CR-1/3N will power the camera OK for a while and
the voltage will quickly drop. I don't know why here,
either. CR-1/3N is a lithium cell which has more currnt capacity
or energy density compared to silver oxide or alkaline batteries
of the same size. A lithum cell provides at least as stable
voltage as a silver oxide or mercury cell, with smaller internal
resistance than these cells.

The possible cause of the problem might be the physical size,
springness of the contacts and tolerance of the battery well
of these cameras.

I'm just curious why they said this in the FAQ list...

Mark McMaster

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

SUZUKI Ryuji wrote:
> The PX-675, H-C, or 76 type battery is different from PX-625
> battery. PX-675 is the one used in OM-2, 3, 4 and many others
> whereas PX-625 is a larger in size and used in OM-1, Minolta SRT
> series and many others. They are different and a CR-1/3N is in
> about the same size as two PX-675 cells. To best of my knowledge,
> I have never seen a camera which takes two PX-625 cells.

My Konica TC and T4 both use 2 PX-625 cells (My Konica T3 takes 2
PX-675 cells).

My solution to the battery availability problem is to use zince-air
cells; no, not the overpriced Wein cells, but the much less expensive
and much more widely available hearing aid batteries. These can be had
for $4-5 for a set of 4 ($1-1.25 each) at most pharmacies, supermarkets,
etc. The 675 zinc-air cell is the same size as the PX-675 mercury cell,
and provides the same, stable 1.35 volts through-out their life
(actually, the zinc-air cells are a little more stable). For replacing
the PX-625, I just slide a rubber o-ring around the cell to fill up the
extra diameter (can be found at any hardware store for a few cents).
The 675 zinc-air cell is slightly thinner than a PX-625, but most
battery compartment springs easily take up the extra space.

It is true that the air cells do not last as long as the original
mercury batteries, but they are much less expensive per cell, so
depending on usage, they may not end up costing much more in the long
run. The life of the air cells can be extended by taping over the vents
between usages.

(BTW: the Wein PX-625 replacement cell is a slightly thicker version of
the 675 zinc-air cell pressed into a metal ring to increase the diameter
- after the battery dies, you can pop the ring off and re-use it on
another 675 cell.)

Mark McMaster
MMc...@ix.netcom.com

Charlie

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Mark McMaster wrote:

> My solution to the battery availability problem is to use zince-air
> cells; no, not the overpriced Wein cells, but the much less expensive
> and much more widely available hearing aid batteries. These can be had
> for $4-5 for a set of 4 ($1-1.25 each) at most pharmacies, supermarkets,
> etc. The 675 zinc-air cell is the same size as the PX-675 mercury cell,
> and provides the same, stable 1.35 volts through-out their life
> (actually, the zinc-air cells are a little more stable). For replacing
> the PX-625, I just slide a rubber o-ring around the cell to fill up the
> extra diameter (can be found at any hardware store for a few cents).
> The 675 zinc-air cell is slightly thinner than a PX-625, but most
> battery compartment springs easily take up the extra space.
>
> It is true that the air cells do not last as long as the original
> mercury batteries, but they are much less expensive per cell, so
> depending on usage, they may not end up costing much more in the long
> run. The life of the air cells can be extended by taping over the vents
> between usages.
>
> (BTW: the Wein PX-625 replacement cell is a slightly thicker version of
> the 675 zinc-air cell pressed into a metal ring to increase the diameter
> - after the battery dies, you can pop the ring off and re-use it on
> another 675 cell.)

Mark,

I think you are a savior. This sounds like the way to go. Especially
using the cheap hearing aid batteries.

Last summer when I decided to use my YashicaMat 124G I went to the local
camera store to get batteries. I hadn't used the camera in years and was
disappointed by the lack of mercury batteries. The salesman explained
the characteristics of the zinc-air batteries. I opted to use the
alkalines and use exposure compensation. I use a spot meter with the Mat
anyway and just wanted something in the camera.

The short life of the Z-A turned me off. A month ago a friend decided to
use his Mat again also. He opted for the Z-A. My salesman had told me
that the life of the Z-A was around 6 months. My friend was told that
they last almost a year.

I've had a change of heart. Even if they last only 6 months, I think
they are a good choice; especially for the old cameras that use them.
Probably very few people use these old cameras as "bread and butter"
cameras. In my case it's like "I want to take some Mat pictures once in
a while."

In that case, they are perfect. Virtually infinite shelf life and 6
months to a year of use. Whenever the urge hits you every year or two,
just pop in a new one and you know you're set to go.

Even if used in a working camera there's no problem. Put in a new one
every 6 months to a year. At the price of hearing aid batteries it might
even be less expensive than alkilines.

Next time it's Z-A for me. I'm going to buy a bunch.

Steve Raft

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Konicas of the late 70's (T4,TC) vintage took two 625 mercury batteries. I have
been able to find new mercury batteries at used camera eqiup. shows in the NY/NJ
area. I didn't inquire whether or not they were being sold legally.

Steve Raft

SUZUKI Ryuji wrote:

> ... To best of my knowledge,

Bob Sull

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98
to Steve Raft

If the shows are like those in Northern Ohio, the guy selling Hg cells is not hiding
them. They are big and bold on his table.....

I never questioned it either..... 8-)

Bob

rkoons

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Just got this info from Olympus USA reference my question about battery:

The 1.3 volt mercury battery has been outlawed in most states through
out the country, due to environmental concerns.
It is possible, however, to use a 1.5 silver oxide battery in the OM -1
camera, with the new Olympus Battery Adapter MR -9. The MR -9 fits
into the battery compartment and reduces both the voltage and amp
output to the required levels for safe use. The part number is OT3102
and has a list price of $ 25.08, plus shipping and handling. It can be
purchased directly from our Parts Departments with a Visa and
MasterCard. You can call them directly at 1 800 622 6372 ( ext. 1620 ).

EdMall wrote in message <19980103043...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

>>>WARNING.
>>>Although it will fit, DO NOT USE the CR1/3N in the OM2, 3, 4, or PC. It
>>will
>>>not work and it may seriously damage the electronics.
>>>Check out:
>>>http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html
>>>

>>Ed, I don't know the CR - 1/3N DL-1/3N or 2L76BP adapters, but if they
>>fit a PX-625 diameter then they won't fit the OM-2, 3 or 4! :)
>>--
>>Kennedy

Charlie

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

rkoons wrote:

> Just got this info from Olympus USA reference my question about battery:
>
> The 1.3 volt mercury battery has been outlawed in most states through
> out the country, due to environmental concerns.
> It is possible, however, to use a 1.5 silver oxide battery in the OM -1
> camera, with the new Olympus Battery Adapter MR -9. The MR -9 fits
> into the battery compartment and reduces both the voltage and amp
> output to the required levels for safe use. The part number is OT3102
> and has a list price of $ 25.08, plus shipping and handling. It can be
> purchased directly from our Parts Departments with a Visa and
> MasterCard. You can call them directly at 1 800 622 6372 ( ext. 1620 ).

WOW! This newsgroup really IS great! Where else could I find that out
without searching for things I didn't even know to look for.

I personally don't use batteries in my OM-1 since I use it only for
astronomy and macro in which cases I use calculated exposures and "by
guess and by gosh."

This is great news for those who want batteries for their OM-1 though.

MANY thanks!

P.S. Now I know why I love Olympus. They take care of us. "...with the
new Olympus Battery Adapter MR -9." New? This means that in 1998
Olympus is providing an accessory for a 20 year old camera? Cool!

Miguel

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98
to Andrea Neuhaus

Hi Andrea,
Olympus!!! You have the best camera ever built!!! The unique tool for
astro, with excellent Zuiko lenses. I love this camera. You will find a
brilliant, superb WEB at:
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html
Here you will discover, why you can´t use Lithium batts!!!
Olympus forever!!!
Bye folks,

Dave

Andrea Neuhaus escribió:

> Some time ago I stopped using an OM-1 body and removed the battery. I've
> decided to begin using the camera and I've discovered the mercury battery

Kennedy

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

In article <68m77f$2u...@roo.netrax.net>, rkoons <rko...@netrax.net>
writes

>Just got this info from Olympus USA reference my question about battery:
<snip>

>The part number is OT3102
>and has a list price of $ 25.08, plus shipping and handling.
^^^^^^^
And how many zinc-air batteries can you get for that? Assuming each
lasts six months (or longer by taping up the air vents as has Mark
already suggested on this thread), and they are about $5 for a pack of
4, that works out at around a 20 year supply.

Given that you'll probably lose at least one MR-9 adapter during that
period and have to buy another (including shipping and handling!), it
doesn't sound like an economic proposition.

--
Kennedy

WKato

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

>I do not think there is a chance to damage a camera by
>using CR-1/3N in OM-2, 3, 4 because the voltage is the same, the
>amount of the current deawn from the battery is too small to let
>the internal resistance of a cell make a difference. I don't know
>why the FAQ says not to use the CR-1/3N, maybe because Olympus said >so and
the complier believed what they said.

>The FAQ says that CR-1/3N will power the camera OK for a while and >the
voltage will quickly drop. I don't know why here,
>either. CR-1/3N is a lithium cell which has more current capacity

>or energy density compared to silver oxide or alkaline batteries
>of the same size. A lithum cell provides at least as stable
>voltage as a silver oxide or mercury cell, with smaller internal
>resistance than these cells.

Mr. Suzuki:

Your questions make sense but I have tried the CR-1 in my OM2, OM2s and OM4T.
They worked for a while but then the camera stopped working. The battery
measured fine when placed on a load so I don't know what's going on. Because
of an "alleged" (I'm sure it's more prevalent than alleged but it never
happened to me) battery drain problem on the OM4 and the lack of circuit board
to fix this, I took out all the CR-1s out of my cameras. They never did last
as long as the silver oxide cells anyway (even though they should have lastest
much longer).

Warren Kato
wk...@aol.com

John Liu

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:34:45 +0000, Kennedy <r...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>>And how many zinc-air batteries can you get for that? Assuming each
>>lasts six months (or longer by taping up the air vents as has Mark
>>already suggested on this thread), and they are about $5 for a pack of
>>4, that works out at around a 20 year supply.

I had thought the Wein Zinc Air cells (1) were around $8 each, (2)
lasted more like 1 - 2 months even with the air vents taped, and (3)
did not work so well in very arid climates. Can anyone comment based
on firsthand experience?

Larry English

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

zinc air hearing aid batteries [not wein cells] are about $1 each
and last about 3 months with no taping in the south [humid].

i think dry air is better for them than damp air.

wein cells allegedly do not last any longer.

wle.

Kennedy

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

In article <34b0a3e1....@news.earthlink.net>, John Liu
<johnliuDELE...@earthlink.net> writes

>On Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:34:45 +0000, Kennedy <r...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>>And how many zinc-air batteries can you get for that? Assuming each
>>>lasts six months (or longer by taping up the air vents as has Mark
>>>already suggested on this thread), and they are about $5 for a pack of
>>>4, that works out at around a 20 year supply.
>
>I had thought the Wein Zinc Air cells (1) were around $8 each, (2)
>lasted more like 1 - 2 months even with the air vents taped, and (3)
>did not work so well in very arid climates. Can anyone comment based
>on firsthand experience?

Sure, but Mark was posting from experience with the much cheaper hearing
aid zinc-air batteries.

Mark McMaster

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

John Liu wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:34:45 +0000, Kennedy <r...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >>And how many zinc-air batteries can you get for that? Assuming each
> >>lasts six months (or longer by taping up the air vents as has Mark
> >>already suggested on this thread), and they are about $5 for a pack of
> >>4, that works out at around a 20 year supply.
>
> I had thought the Wein Zinc Air cells (1) were around $8 each, (2)
> lasted more like 1 - 2 months even with the air vents taped, and (3)
> did not work so well in very arid climates. Can anyone comment based
> on firsthand experience?

In my experience, both the Wein cells and standard hearing aid
batteries (both zinc-air) last about 2 months with out taping the vents
(longer if you keep the vents taped between uses). Both the Wein cells
and standard hearing aid batteries have a stable 1.3V, and according to
my battery handbooks, zinc-air cells have an as flat or flatter voltage
profile than mercury cells. I have bought the Wein cells for about $6
each, and have bought major brand (Eveready) hearing aid batteries for
$5 for a pack of 4, and store brand (CVS chain store) hearing aid
batteries for $4 for a pack of 4. I live in New England, which is
moderately humid, maybe slightly toward the damp side occasionally.

Mark McMaster
MMc...@ix.netcom.com

Michael A. Covington

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Get an MR-9 adapter, which holds a silver oxide cell and contains a
voltage-dropping Schottky diode. The whole thing is the size of a 625
battery. You get full battery life (a couple of years or more).

See http://www.camtech.com for more information.
--
Michael A. Covington http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc
Chairman, Computer Security Team, and

lotus

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

What hearing aid battery will substitute for a 625 mercury?

Mark McMaster <MMc...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<34B1DD...@ix.netcom.com>...