Bogen Tripod Head: 3030 or 3262QR or 3025?

Derrick Low

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

I've done all the research, etc. and I've finally decided on buying a
Bogen 3021 Tripod. The only problem is that now I don't know which
head I should get with it--the 3030 pan/title head, the 3262QR ball
head, or the 3025?

I like the idea of being able to control each axis independently--this
is what I'm used to doing (I'm currently using a cheap video
tripod)...but I've seen the safari-3021 with the leg pads, 3030 head,
and spiked feet...and well, it's a bit heavy to be convenient to carry
around. According to the Bogen catalog, its total weight is somewhere
around 9.5lbs....(which is another thing....if the 3030 head is
2.25lbs, and the 3021 legset is 5.75, then wouldn't the set weigh
somewhere around 8lbs, not 9.5lbs like Bogen says?)

On the other hand, I like the idea of a lightweight head, like the 1lb
3262QR ball head, but I'm not sure if I should get a ball head; is the
extra speed of just setting one look worth the lack of precise control
you get with a pan/tilt head? The only ball head I've really had a
chance to play with is the 3265 joystick head, which I really didn't
like because whenever I locked it, it would jump about 10 degrees in
one direction or another.

Perhaps then I should be looking at the 3025 3d head...I saw one at
the local store, and it seemed a little flimsy, but its light and I
can control each axis independently, right? Of course, is the lack of
a quick shoe going to be a problem? My current tripod doesn't have a
quick shoe, and it takes me a couple minutes everytime I put the
camera on or take it off....

I've played with the 3021 legset alone, and it doesn't seem to heavy
to carry, but the safari-3021 I mentioned earlier is *WAY* too heavy
for me--I don't want to lug around 10lbs + my not-so-light camera
(Nikon FE--not heavy, but with the 10lbs tripod, the weight is
starting to add up). Are there any other heads I should be looking
for? I don't want to spend much more than $150 for the head+legset (as
I won't have that much more than that to buy it with)...According to
the B&H catalog I can get either the 3021/3030 combo or the
3021/3262QR combo for just around $140, or I cand get the 3025 for
about $115 (+S&H of course).

thanks for the help,
-derrick.
--
Derrick Low
der...@sonic.net

FCHLDRAY

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

With the lightness of your camera, I see the 3021 regular tripod as
perfectly acceptable. It can carry up to 8.5lbs by factor specs and your camera
is, I recall, about 1.5 pounds. Even a heavy, long lens would not require
stronger legs.

I liked the quick release, ball head--it is stiff but still rated to 8.5
pounds. With a Nikon N90s-about the weight of your camera and a standard 80-200
2.8, the tripod adequately supports the camera.

At the store, I heard a lot of bull about wind blowing over my tripod and
smashing my camera, about needing a heavy weight set of legs and head to
"guarantee" my camera would not suffer a catastrophe.

Frankly, the Bogen, as I bought it is plenty heavy enough--unless you
plan to employ a bearer boy(like Galen Rowell, et. al or animals of burden), I
suggest you go for the lightweight tripod. I cannot afford carbon fibre and it
doesn't sound like you can either.

When I use a tripod, I do not wander off to read a comic book while the
picture is being taken. I am right there. If a wind less than an F3 comes
along, I'll catch the tripod, and if not, since I keep my neck strap on during
tripod shoots, the wind will take me and my tripod with it--it will not crash.

Previously I used the cheapest tripod on the market, the Vivitar with a
built in pan head--despite worry about the geared center column, I found it
would lock into place and thus would not drop. It never failed me and it is so
light that it enhanced rather than discouraged outdoor shots.

If you want more weight on your triopod, try putting your camera bag
around the bottom of it to anchor it--if you have one that lets you--there are
other ways to saddle this horse. The Bogen sounds fine to me and appears more
than adequate to meet your needs.

Andrew Gindes

Jerry Gitomer

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Hi Derrick,

I have a 3221 (3021 finished in black) with a 3265 ball head and I have
found it to be
right on when I lock it up. After reading your post I played around
with it and
found that if I release the trigger smoothly I have no problem, but if I
just let
go it will jump. Seems like it's just a question of practice.

I also have a 3021 with a 3025 pan tilt head on it. I wouldn't put a
medium format with a long lens on it, but it is certainly strong enough
to handle my FE with no problems.

By the way since I got the 3265 I stopped using the 3025. I have found
it to be much quicker and more precise.

Regards

Jerry

Derrick Low wrote:

> I've done all the research, etc. and I've finally decided on buying a
> Bogen 3021 Tripod. The only problem is that now I don't know which
> head I should get with it--the 3030 pan/title head, the 3262QR ball
> head, or the 3025?

SNIP

> The only ball head I've really had a
> chance to play with is the 3265 joystick head, which I really didn't
> like because whenever I locked it, it would jump about 10 degrees in
> one direction or another.

SNIP

> Perhaps then I should be looking at the 3025 3d head...I saw one at
> the local store, and it seemed a little flimsy, but its light and I
> can control each axis independently, right? Of course, is the lack of
> a quick shoe going to be a problem? My current tripod doesn't have a
> quick shoe, and it takes me a couple minutes everytime I put the
> camera on or take it off....

SNIP
--
Jerry Gitomer Since I know how to spell DBA I became one.
jgit...@p3.net

Skip P.

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Jerry Gitomer <jgit...@p3.net> wrote in article <350A21...@p3.net>...
> Hi Derrick,
> (snip)

> I also have a 3021 with a 3025 pan tilt head on it. I wouldn't put a
> medium format with a long lens on it, but it is certainly strong enough
> to handle my FE with no problems.
>
> By the way since I got the 3265 I stopped using the 3025. I have found
> it to be much quicker and more precise.

I have a 3001 with a 3265QR and a 3021 with the 3265 head.
Guess which one goes hiking? Actually, I'll use the 3021 legs
and the 3262 head for somewhat short trips. Last year, up at
Clingmans Dome, my Elan and 400 5.6 had some problems
with stability using the 3001/3262.
Skip Redd...@worldnet.att.net

Aleksandr Noy

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

I have the Bogen medium Ball head with the quick release (3262QR) on a
3205 legset and so far I have been pretty happy. I don't find it
restrictive, it is wick, it holds my gear well (althouhg it is mostly
lightweight) and the price/performance ratio was hard to beat. Other
people recommended Canon Pro Ball head. It is nicer made, but is is a bit
heavier and you have to add QR to it. Check it out. I have a friend that
loves his Gitzo ballhead, but it is more expensive and I didn't like the
asymmetric design.

Alex

FCHLDRAY

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

My opinion is that the 3001 with a camera and a heavy lens and its short
height can cause camera instability---I'd recommend the 3021--as for camera
heads---the very best cost too darn much----obviously we'd all like some Gitzo
Carbon fiber legs and a swiss type head which is smooth and precise--but two
thousand dollars is expensive for a tripod(although President Clinton appears
to think the presidency is worth it)

Andrew Gindes