Nikon Photomic FTn Finder, Lightmeter

Ben Lewis

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
My local camera shop pro tells me that my Nikon Photomic FTn
finder/lightmeter has gone to camera heaven and that repair is highly
unlikely. Does anyone know of an outfit that can repair these?

I really like the old camera and hate to retire it. It's traveled
with me many a mile around the world.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

Ben Lewis
34194 Hood Canal Dr NE
Kingston, WA 98346

RWatson767

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
Ben

> Nikon Photomic FTn
>finder/lightmeter has gone to camera heaven and that repair is highly
unlikely<
Try to find another one but parts are no longer available. The problem is that
the resistive element and the slider are worn out and no replacements are
available.
Bob AZ

mako

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
Look around in "Shutterbug" magazine. There are several repair shops
that specialize in the obscure camera. Also check some of the net
auctions (eBay, photonet) as rare items such as these usually find their
way to the auction block eventually.

mako

D. R. Greenlee

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
ble...@oz.net (Ben Lewis) wrote:

>My local camera shop pro tells me that my Nikon Photomic FTn

>finder/lightmeter has gone to camera heaven and that repair is highly

>unlikely. Does anyone know of an outfit that can repair these?

>I really like the old camera and hate to retire it. It's traveled
>with me many a mile around the world.

Although I can recommend a good shop here in Florida, repairs are
unlikely if not impossible. Replacement will be expensive. Given the
vast number of FTns in the world, they are almost all suffering from
the same problem: the bodies and shutters last forever, but the
meters are all failing and repair parts are unavailable due to
obsolesence. On top of that, even a functional meter is designed to
run on hard-to-obtain mercury batteries.

Save your repair money and invest in a decent hand-held meter. Once
you learn to use it properly, it will provide results as good (if not
substantially better) than the built-in. You can continue to use the
FTn until it falls apart and then still use the hand-held with its
successor.

Drwyn

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
Ben,
Repairing the Nikon Ftn is not that difficult. There are two different
problems with these prism meters. One is that the ring resistor gets dirty and
causes the needle to be irratic. The second cause is that the Cds cells change
their resistive properties after long periods of time. I have repaired several
Nikon Ftns by cleaning the ring resistor and replacing the Cds cells. The
meter then must be recalibrated for the new Cds cells which involves measuring
the resistance of the Cds cells for each stop and matching this with the ring
resistor.
The same goes with the other Nikon meter prisms including the T, Tn Ftn, DP-1
and DP-2.

If you want your meter repaired, I would be happy to do it.

Best regards,
Robert Decker

John Hermanson

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
Most Photomic finders suffer from worn out VR rings which results in
wildly erratic meter readings. I am told the VR rings and their
replacement strips are long gone. Sorry.

John

Ben Lewis wrote:

> My local camera shop pro tells me that my Nikon Photomic FTn
> finder/lightmeter has gone to camera heaven and that repair is highly
> unlikely. Does anyone know of an outfit that can repair these?
>
> I really like the old camera and hate to retire it. It's traveled
> with me many a mile around the world.

garn...@hotmail.ca

Jun 6, 2020, 4:41:46 PM6/6/20
I would be happy to send you one. Interested?

nospam

Jun 6, 2020, 4:55:56 PM6/6/20
In article <e91ad6d1-21df-4575...@googlegroups.com>,
yet another ignorant google groups user.

that was posted *twenty* *two* years ago.

Fred McKenzie

Jun 6, 2020, 10:38:43 PM6/6/20
Check out <https://www.robertbdecker.com/>, and see if he is the same
photographer.