Coolpix ?

geoff

Jan 1, 2023, 4:19:14 PM1/1/23
For 'just for fun', especially extreme tele side of things, is there a
better option than the likes of a Nikon Coolpix P950 or P1000 ?

Price is still a bit 'up there' though ...

geoff

RichA

Jan 3, 2023, 6:20:22 AM1/3/23
On Sunday, 1 January 2023 at 16:19:14 UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> For 'just for fun', especially extreme tele side of things, is there a
> better option than the likes of a Nikon Coolpix P950 or P1000 ? Un
>
> Price is still a bit 'up there' though ...
>
> geoff

these cameras are kind of toys with a gimmick. As if you took a smart phone and glued a cheap long telephoto to them.
Unless you for whatever reason need that kind of reach, better to get a camera with at least a m4/3rd size sensor
and a telephoto for it? Biggest problem with these cameras is they are pure sunshine or nothing cameras. If you try to shoot in less than absolutely ideal conditions, the quality goes to Hell because the ISO will have to be high to support the shutters speeds you'll need to
shoot at a long telephoto position. When they show images of the Moon say shot through the P1000, it's no accomplishment. You shoot the moon on a calm (air) night when it's high above the horizon, a single achromatic lens and a decent camera can produce a great image. Why? Because the moon is very bright.

geoff

Jan 3, 2023, 4:20:10 PM1/3/23
On 4/01/2023 12:20 am, RichA wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 January 2023 at 16:19:14 UTC-5, geoff wrote:
>> For 'just for fun', especially extreme tele side of things, is there a
>> better option than the likes of a Nikon Coolpix P950 or P1000 ? Un
>>
>> Price is still a bit 'up there' though ...
>>
>> geoff
>
> these cameras are kind of toys with a gimmick. As if you took a smart phone and glued a cheap long telephoto to them.
> Unless you for whatever reason need that kind of reach, better to get a camera with at least a m4/3rd size sensor
> and a telephoto for it?

A 3000mm-equiv tele ?

Biggest problem with these cameras is they are pure sunshine or
nothing cameras. If you try to shoot in less than absolutely ideal
conditions, the quality goes to Hell because the ISO will have to be
high to support the shutters speeds you'll need to
> shoot at a long telephoto position. When they show images of the Moon say shot through the P1000, it's no accomplishment. You shoot the moon on a calm (air) night when it's high above the horizon, a single achromatic lens and a decent camera can produce a great image. Why? Because the moon is very bright.

So, as I said "just for fun", probably quite good as long as you don't
want extreme (or even moderately I guess) tele shots in low light ....

geoff

RichA

Jan 5, 2023, 7:39:52 PM1/5/23
If you just want to make photos to display 90% of the time on people's phones, it would be fine. If you want to put them on a larger screen or print them, maybe not so good?