Hide file inside of an image with encryption

Andy Burnelli

May 6, 2022, 2:23:02 PMMay 6
This was on the Windows newsgroup.

Dunno yet if the same FOSS capability exists for Android as the keywords
just bring up encryption vaults galore but not this particular feature.

If you can find it for Android, let me know.

wasbit wrote:

> Hide in Picture - https://sourceforge.net/projects/hide-in-picture/

Thanks for that purposefully helpful link, wasbit.

If someone is gonna post a link, I generally read it.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hide-in-picture/

Apparently "Hide In Picture is a program that allows you to conceal files
inside bitmap pictures, using a password. The pictures look like normal
images, so people will not suspect there is hidden data in them."

https://versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/hide-in-picture/hide-in-picture/2.1/hip21_en.zip
Name: hip21_en.zip
Size: 379399 bytes (370 KiB)
SHA256: 5EB2D1B1C0404C131B3B9B5732D48B462643DC027E89B6AC2C1EBA2E2A76A72F

Directory of C:\installer\editor\pic\hip\hip21_en ..
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 18,454 COPYING
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 29,139 hip.htm
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 28,194 hip.txt
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 295,715 hip_en.exe
05/06/2022 06:56 PM 403,183 winhip_en.exe

Name: winhip_en.exe
Size: 403183 bytes (393 KiB)
SHA256: 2B36E212B6A016E9F0502E766E7A973A46335C4F417DCB44F7671A0755D40FF9

Name: hip_en.exe
Size: 295715 bytes (288 KiB)
SHA256: A0E297A572A2DAECC62137A48474D8FF70BCBFFFBFD01445345E3A8C25EB6B93

Apparently it only works with GIF and BMP images.
Here is the result of my first (and only) test of this capability.
1. hip:File > Open picture > foo.bmp
hip:Image > Hide file > secret.pdf
Enter password: snafu
Confirm password: snafu
Encryption algorithm: {Blowfish,Rijndael}
[x]Write CRC
2. hip:File > Open picture > foo.bmp
hip:Image > Retrieve file
Enter password: {enter the wrong password}
HIP Error: No hidden file found
3. hip:File > Open picture > foo.bmp
hip:Image > Retrieve file
Enter password: {enter the correct password}
HIP File Save As > secret.pdf

In summary, I'm not sure how secure it is, nor how useful it could be, but
I've saved it in my freeware archives for future use if ever needed.
Installer: C:\installers\editors\pic\hip\hip21_en.zip
Installed: C:\apps\editors\pic\hip\winhip_en.exe
Taskbar: C:\menus\editors\pic\hip\hip.lnk
--
On Usenet, kind-hearted purposefully helpful people carry on polite
discussions which benefit everyone who participates in the conversation.

Alfred Molon

May 6, 2022, 3:16:46 PMMay 6
Am 06.05.2022 um 20:23 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
> Apparently it only works with GIF and BMP images.

Why not with JPEGs?
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Eli the Bearded

May 6, 2022, 4:12:42 PMMay 6
In comp.mobile.android, Alfred Molon <alfred...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 06.05.2022 um 20:23 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>> Apparently it only works with GIF and BMP images.
> Why not with JPEGs?

Lossy file compression makes steganography trickier.

Elijah
------
"why not PNGs?" is a better question

nospam

May 6, 2022, 8:03:23 PMMay 6
In article <ruedK.137936$4c1....@fx13.ams1>, Alfred Molon
<alfred...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Apparently it only works with GIF and BMP images.
>
> Why not with JPEGs?

compression, although that's a limitation for that particular method,
not universal. there are ways to do it with jpeg.

Carlos E.R.

May 7, 2022, 7:24:12 AMMay 7
On 2022-05-06 21:16, Alfred Molon wrote:
> Am 06.05.2022 um 20:23 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>> Apparently it only works with GIF and BMP images.
>
> Why not with JPEGs?

Guessing, you start with a bitmap in a paint type program. Then you
alter some pixels in a known way. The alteration encodes a bit or a
byte. You need to be able to somehow know for certain what pixels have
been altered. Then you compress the bitmap. You can not loose or alter a
single pixel on restore (you might destroy the pixels that carry the
message), which means that lossy algorithms are out.

To work with jpg you would need an encoding software that also does the
compression. And that is much more complicated.

--
Cheers, Carlos.