Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

mark

Sep 21, 2022, 11:17:37 AM9/21/22
Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I have Windows 10 and Android 11.
I am working on a project with multiple very large apartment complexes.
I have a paper colored apartment complex map for each complex.
The map does not seem to be online so it's a paper handout.
At each complex I'm expected to visit a set of given units each day for
various reasons and all they give me is this paper map to find each unit.

That works. But it's inefficient.
They do this to everyone, not just to me.

We're expected to use the paper map with hundreds of apartments and dozens
of buildings, where the numbering system for buildings usually makes sense
but not for the apartments. Sometimes we even need to visit parking spaces
as we have vehicles parked which we have to put notices on where the
numbers make no sense on purpose for security reasons.

Once I find a given location, I've been using OSMand+ to save the current
position. First off I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current
Location" option which I thought almost all map programs would have had.

So what I do is establish my current location & long press the blue dot.

These apartments all have individual outside entrances so it's not like a
hotel where you go down a long hallway to serially find the door number you
need.

When I get to the right apartment door I step outside the entrance on the
ground floor and press as close as I can on the blue location dot which
pops up a "Looking up address" OSMAnd+ menu which usually gives the same
address for all locations. Then I press the "Add" star and change the name
to "Complex Bathroom" or "Complex Pool" or more commonly "ComplexBldgApt"
such as "RedwoodApts Bldg15 Apt489" or "RedwoodApts Lot15 Spot489" or
something like that.

Once I've renamed the current pressed location, I hit Save and then I can
navigate walking after that where OSM can talk me through the steps even
when the phone is in my pocket and my hands are full.

Having to fatfinger the location isn't as accurate as having a "Save
Current Location" button would be but it's definitely good enough for
government work as they say.

When I need to navigate to a given spot I first point the phone north with
a compass app because moving compass navigation directions aren't so easy
when walking and then I orient the OSM map toward that heading to get my
initial bearings of which way to start walking and about how far it will
be. Usually I'm carrying tools or supplies so my hands are almost always
full.

That's all I need but I'm working with others from the local work to future
group where everyone else wastes time trying to find the building & apt.

What I want is take a jpeg picture of the paper colored apartment complex
map which I can then hand to each person whose phone can then point to the
location.

All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.

Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

nospam

Sep 21, 2022, 11:20:15 AM9/21/22
In article <tgf9u8$1ni8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, mark <ma...@mark.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

that's automatically done with phones (and traditional cameras with a
gps).

Graham J

Sep 21, 2022, 11:38:10 AM9/21/22
I don't think that's what the OP wants.

If I come to your house and take a photo of you, my phone might well add
the gps coordinates of your house to that photo.

If in my house I have the OS map showing your house, and I want to put
the coordinates of your house on that OS map, then probably I have to
write them onto the map by hand. I could then take a photo of the
annotated map. I think the OP wants to automate that process, possibly
by editing the jpeg file.

--
Graham J

nospam

Sep 21, 2022, 11:45:14 AM9/21/22
In article <tgfb4r$1rlmk$1...@dont-email.me>, Graham J
<nob...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
> >
> > that's automatically done with phones (and traditional cameras with a
> > gps).
> >

> I don't think that's what the OP wants.
>
> If I come to your house and take a photo of you, my phone might well add
> the gps coordinates of your house to that photo.
>
> If in my house I have the OS map showing your house, and I want to put
> the coordinates of your house on that OS map, then probably I have to
> write them onto the map by hand. I could then take a photo of the
> annotated map. I think the OP wants to automate that process, possibly
> by editing the jpeg file.

various photo asset management apps already locate photos on a map.

but it's clear who the op is, meaning his claimed needs will change.

sticks

Sep 21, 2022, 12:50:22 PM9/21/22
Gaia can save locations with coordinates and a screen shot will save an
image. You can also make a folder for each visit with all the named
waypoints needed for each place and make it public. Anyone can then
simply open gaia and go to the exact spots. It will direct you to them.
I use the free version.

VanguardLH

Sep 21, 2022, 1:05:04 PM9/21/22
mark <ma...@mark.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/how-to/how-to-know-the-location-of-the-photo-taken-using-from-our-smartphone/articleshow/65152274.cms

Go into your camera app's settings. For me, it's called "Tag
Locations". GPS data is stored in the EXIF data of the photo file.

I'm not into photo editing, but I'm sure you'll find lots of Android
apps to let you annotate a photo (add text to it).

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+photo+annotate
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=photo%20annotate&c=apps

You might want to add "gps" to the Play Store search to see which might
automatically add GPS text to a photo.

After reading the rest of your article, I'm wondering if what you want
is a mapping tool that records way points. Some GPS way point apps let
you save a photo, and add details on the location.

Although you included a Windows newsgroup, I assumed you are not toting
around a Windows 10 computer to take photos, but are using your Android
phone, so make sure location tagging is enabled in the camera app in
your Android phone. In Windows for photos you've already taken with
your phone, right-click on an image file, Properties, Details to see the
meta-data for GPS. If you want the GPS data overlayed on the photos,
just about any image editor can do that, even MS Paint.

Chris

Sep 21, 2022, 2:21:24 PM9/21/22
I /think/ what you're after is a map image with a QR code embedded in it.
The QR will have a map reference encoded in it for the user to navigate to.

https://qrcodegeneratorfree.online/geo.php

Roger Mills

Sep 21, 2022, 5:38:51 PM9/21/22
I can't quite visualise what the end product needs to be, but have you
considered using the What3Words app to generate location addresses
instead of GPS co-ordinates?

[In case you're nor familiar with it, the app considers the surface of
the whole world be be divided into 3 metre x 3 metre squares, and
assigns 3 random (but unchanging) words to each square]

If you visit each location, the app generates the 3-word code for that
location, and you can save it, along with a label. When you've finished,
you can export all the codes and labels to a .csv file, which you can
transfer to a PC for further processing.

Depending on the size of the paper map, you could perhaps print small
adhesive labels for each location and stick them on the master copy, and
then photocopy the whole thing for distribution.

Armed with a 3-word location code, you can use the app to navigate to
that location.

The app can also take a photo of each location and store it with the
location code, but I'm not sure how useful that would be for your purposes.

--
Cheers,
Roger

curmudgeon

Sep 21, 2022, 11:31:33 PM9/21/22
I don't know if a georeferencing program exists on Windows or on Android
for jpeg files but what you need for your jpeg is similar to what common
georeferencing software does for a PDF to establish the coordinates for
every point on the grid of the jpeg.
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-geopdfr

Once you associate the coordinate grid onto that jpeg file, the map program
will be able to navigate based on those reference points.

Those talking about exif data don't understand how navigation works.

It's common to georeference a PDF but a google search finds you can
georeference an image also if you know what you're doing.
https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/technology/tutorials/how-georeference-images-arcgis

Paul

Sep 22, 2022, 2:06:13 AM9/22/22
The paper map you were given, came from a GIS system.

What you're trying to do, is transfer information from
one GIS system to another GIS system.

This has nothing to do with JPEGs. A JPEG would be exactly
the wrong starting point. If you were going to enter the
information anywhere, you'd add it manually to OSMand.

Paul

Carlos E.R.

Sep 22, 2022, 7:44:14 AM9/22/22
On 2022-09-21 23:38, Roger Mills wrote:
> On 21/09/2022 16:17, mark wrote:
>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

..

>> All of that brings me to my question of how to make that jpeg gps map.
>>
>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> I can't quite visualise what the end product needs to be, but have you
> considered using the What3Words app to generate location addresses
> instead of GPS co-ordinates?

Problem is, 3word locations only work with their app. It doesn't work on
google maps, or OSMAnd, last time I tried.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Sep 22, 2022, 7:44:14 AM9/22/22
Map is on paper.

> but it's clear who the op is, meaning his claimed needs will change.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

nospam

Sep 22, 2022, 8:15:11 AM9/22/22
In article <e8utvi-...@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

> Map is on paper.

who uses paper maps anymore?

Carlos E.R.

Sep 22, 2022, 8:24:12 AM9/22/22
He does. Not his choice.

I do, too.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

-hh

Sep 22, 2022, 9:45:44 AM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 8:24:12 AM UTC-4, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-09-22 14:15, nospam wrote:
> > Carlos E.R. wrote:
> >

> >> Map is on paper.
> >
> > who uses paper maps anymore?
>
> He does. Not his choice.
> I do, too.

I'll do so at times as well ... the "right tool for the job" applies.

An example is when hiking a new trail /area; a hardcopy printout is light and
supplements the USGS Topo's (they can stay in the pack for emergency use).
There's an iPhone & GPS along too, but they eat batteries and neither locates
well under heavier tree canopies especially when cell towers are absent/thin.
In some of my favored hiking areas, part of my trailhead checklist is to put the
iPhone into "Airplane" mode to prevent its battery from getting drained; BTDT.

-hh

mark

Sep 22, 2022, 12:39:40 PM9/22/22
Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

> The paper map you were given, came from a GIS system.

It probably did but alls I have is the paper map which I took a photo of to
turn it into an electronic document on my phone.

> What you're trying to do, is transfer information from
> one GIS system to another GIS system.

I saw the note from someone else that what I want to do is called
georeferencing a document, no matter what that document format is.

> This has nothing to do with JPEGs. A JPEG would be exactly
> the wrong starting point.

I'll give up on trying to turn the jpeg into a geonavigable map.
Instead I'll convert the jpeg into a pdf.

Almost all the information I saw on georeferencing was for PDFs.
It turns out all good map programs can navigate a georeferenced PDF.

> If you were going to enter the
> information anywhere, you'd add it manually to OSMand.

I tried entering information onto the OSMAnd+ map like the building numbers
but the only place I could find to edit the map was in "My Places" and not
onto the map itself.

If I could annotate the OSMAnd+ map itself and distribute it to others,
that would work but I can't be updating the OSMAnd+ maps on the Internet
because this is information only we would want to have on the map.

How do you annotate a personal copy of the OSMAnd+ offline map?

mark

Sep 22, 2022, 1:10:48 PM9/22/22
curmudgeon <curmu...@spam.edu> wrote:

>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
>
> I don't know if a georeferencing program exists on Windows or on Android
> for jpeg files but what you need for your jpeg is similar to what common
> georeferencing software does for a PDF to establish the coordinates for
> every point on the grid of the jpeg.
> https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-geopdfr

Based on that reference, it looks like I need to find a program for Windows
which will georeference the digital image so that the georeferenced
digitial image can then be distributed to the team to be used for map app
navigation on their phones.

> Once you associate the coordinate grid onto that jpeg file, the map program
> will be able to navigate based on those reference points.
>
> Those talking about exif data don't understand how navigation works.

They got hung up on it being an image and they didn't read the rest of the
question because the question has nothing to do with exif data.

> It's common to georeference a PDF but a google search finds you can
> georeference an image also if you know what you're doing.
> https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/technology/tutorials/how-georeference-images-arcgis

If I convert the digital image to a pdf, do you know of a windows program
that can georeference that pdf?

Once I have the georeferenced pdf, any good map navigatation program on the
phone should be able to navigate using that georeferenced pdf as it's map.

Paul

Sep 22, 2022, 2:44:38 PM9/22/22
On 9/22/2022 12:39 PM, mark wrote:

> How do you annotate a personal copy of the OSMAnd+ offline map?

There has to be a group somewhere, where you could find a person
with those skills. I have no GIS experience. I can't answer
questions about annotation, or adding layers to a map.

Paul

Peter Jason

Sep 22, 2022, 6:04:06 PM9/22/22
On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:17:28 +0200, mark <ma...@mark.edu> wrote:

>Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

I use PShop to add data to photos before I distribute them.

At the end of PShop adjustments I use the "Text" function to add the
static data (location, event, date) and then the people and items, all
as a PShop layer then I fuse the layers. Text color and size, and
position can be added to unobtrusive parts of the photo.

I've never used GPS, but cameras with that facility can be attached to
the computer and the coordinates added with all the other data.

My customers really appreciate all this info.

t's all very boring of course.

mark

Sep 24, 2022, 12:03:50 AM9/24/22
Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

> There has to be a group somewhere, where you could find a person
> with those skills. I have no GIS experience. I can't answer
> questions about annotation, or adding layers to a map.

I found the right group. Thanks.

It's not the Windows or digital photo group that knows how to georeference.
Nor Android.

I'm taking it up there instead as they understand how to georeference
digital images.

Here's the latest response from that group, this one from Bernd Rose.

From Bernd Rose
Georeferencing images predates georeferencing of *.pdf files by decades.

An excellent free GIS program for Windows (and other operating systems)
capable of georeferencing is QGIS:

https://www.qgis.org

Here is a tutorial:
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

curmudgeon

Sep 25, 2022, 3:26:25 AM9/25/22
VanguardLH wrote at Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:04:57 -0500 :

>> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?
> After reading the rest of your article, I'm wondering if what you want
> is a mapping tool that records way points. Some GPS way point apps let
> you save a photo, and add details on the location.

What the OP needs to do is assign a gps coordinate to each pixel in his/her
raster images using XYZ tile layers for each zoom level.

He/she probably will want to gather the coordinates for a few ground
control points from OpenStreetMap. Using those selected ground control
points he/she should use the free Windows QGIS version 3.20 or newer tools
which have a built-in OpenStreetMap based nominatim geocoder to warp the
image to his/her chosen coordinate reference system.

Most likely he/she will choose the EPSG 3857 Pseudo Mercator as his/her
target coordinate reference system with the polynomial 2 transformation
type and LZW compression settings.

A good tutorial for georeferencing JPG images with Windows QGIS3 is here.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/advanced_georeferencing.html

Lawrence Aracabia

Sep 25, 2022, 3:57:27 AM9/25/22
sticks <wolver...@charter.net> wrote:

> Gaia can save locations with coordinates and a screen shot will save an
> image. You can also make a folder for each visit with all the named
> waypoints needed for each place and make it public. Anyone can then
> simply open gaia and go to the exact spots. It will direct you to them.
> I use the free version.

Firefox can download Google satellite image map tiles & OSM map tiles.
https://github.com/AliFlux/MapTilesDownloader

I would think those tiles would come with the georeferences already.

But that free MapTilesDownloader utility from Ali Ashraf requires Python.
Is Python on Android?

Adriano

Sep 25, 2022, 4:18:51 AM9/25/22
Il 21/09/2022, mark ha detto :
> Is there a way to put the gps coordinates onto a photo?

yes, if you have the track recorded by a gps.
I have a nikon D7200 and the GPS that I've bought (anche that shoud be
compatible) doesn't work. So I record the track with mytrail (or
runtastic) on a smartphone and use the free software geosetter
(windows) to take the position from nmea file and update the photo exif
data.
Clock of the camera must be correctly set, of course, because it is
used to take the correct position inside the nmea file.
I suppose that any other gps tracker that can export data should work
If out take photos with an android smartphone ther should be an option
to add gps data to the exif data.

Adriano

Sep 25, 2022, 4:20:58 AM9/25/22
Graham J scriveva il 21/09/2022 :

> If in my house I have the OS map showing your house, and I want to put the
> coordinates of your house on that OS map, then probably I have to write them
> onto the map by hand. I could then take a photo of the annotated map. I
> think the OP wants to automate that process, possibly by editing the jpeg
> file.

he shoule transform a position in a nmea file. Not easy, also because
the time should be correlated with the photo time.
I do not know any other method.

Erholt Rhein

Sep 25, 2022, 12:26:06 PM9/25/22
On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:03:55 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

> I use PShop to add data to photos before I distribute them.
>
> At the end of PShop adjustments I use the "Text" function to add the
> static data (location, event, date) and then the people and items, all
> as a PShop layer then I fuse the layers. Text color and size, and
> position can be added to unobtrusive parts of the photo.

The question has nothing to do with texting images or exif metadata.

It's not surprising that a windows or android group doesn't know how to
manipulate image pixels, but it is rather surprising that a so-called
digital photo group doesn't understand a simple question about common every
day basic image manipulation techniques.

All that is needed is to associate each pixel in the image to a geographic
coordinate system which can be done with oziexplorer or gdal or mapc2mapc
or oom or quantum gis free windows tools.

Zaidy036

Sep 25, 2022, 3:12:43 PM9/25/22
On 9/21/2022 11:17 AM, mark wrote:
Google Maps and right click on location coordinates first item click on
them will copy to clipboard. Then paste in your map.

Paul

Sep 25, 2022, 3:54:33 PM9/25/22
Images based on 4CC codes internally, the parser will ignore
any 4CC codes it does not recognize. This could allow metadata
to be added. Or it could allow just about anything to be added.
It would be pointless for a Windows group to sit around
hypothesizing about things for which no standards exist.
Which could be discovered in any reasonable way.

If we were to do that, we would start with a sample JPEG file, and
examine it forensically for "crap". Just as we had to mess around
with heic and heif when they were presented to us.

There are image formats not based on 4CC and packet style carriage,
for which these sorts of things aren't going to happen. The parsers
in such cases are brittle, and you'd notice if someone had injected
crap.

If you use a gis file format, that's a carriage designed to purpose.
And not a "secret agent - known to a cloistered few" method.

And AV scanners *do* scan images for things that should not be in there.
It is just as necessary to scan a JPEG as to scan an EXE (stack smashing).

I could carry information via steganography, but... I'm not a secret agent.
I posted a link to such a tool, a few months back, but did not test
it myself, as I have no interest particularly.

Color laser printers use steganography, so that if you print bank
notes on a color printer, an identifier for the printer is embedded
in the pixels (yellow noise). But you'd only have a problem from the
Secret Service, if you happened to pay for the printer with a credit card :-)

For a format to be useful, if it was covered by standards, then I
could pop your modified image into Photoshop, and access the information
you added. Somehow, I don't think that's going to work, without at
least a third-party plugin. Just like the steganography app, you
would need the same app, to extract the message at the other end.
The method used is not standardized. There is more than one
steganographic method (more than one encoding), and one steg app
is not going to be able to extract a message from a different steg app.
The fun for the authors of these, is their claim it "cannot be detected".

Steg is an in-band method, adding 4CC packets is an out-of-band method.

Paul

Char Jackson

Sep 30, 2022, 1:12:00 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 06:03:40 +0200, mark <ma...@mark.edu> wrote:

>Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> There has to be a group somewhere, where you could find a person
>> with those skills. I have no GIS experience. I can't answer
>> questions about annotation, or adding layers to a map.
>
>I found the right group. Thanks.

In case anyone was wondering, I'm guessing the right group was one of
the following:

alt.internet.wireless
alt.satellite.gps
sci.geo.satellite-nav

Probably one of the latter two.

Erholt Rhein

Oct 1, 2022, 7:26:07 PM10/1/22
The group I would have expected this question to be answered isn't a
digital photo group because they don't know how to manipulate geospatial
pixels - but in comp.text.pdf instead because they've done it for years.

The way I would add gps coordinates to every pixel in an image would be to
use the free Adobe Acrobat product to turn the image into a geospatial pdf.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/print/how-create-geospatial-pdf/

People do it all the time for navigating airport terminals for example.
https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036971113-How-do-I-create-a-geospatial-PDF-

Firefighters & emergency responders use EGP to add geospatial coordinates.
https://www.nwcg.gov/publications/pms936-1/create-incident/geospatial-pdf

But I'd use Adobe Acrobat since it's easy to edit the image as a PDF.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-create-geospatial-pdf/

Most governments recommend navigation in the geoPDF in Android/iOS Avenza.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/blog/2012/12/geospatial-pdf-how-create-geospatially-aware-pdf

Avenza is limited to 3 active maps (although they can be combined).
https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/how-it-works.html

If you need more than 3 active maps, use Android/iOS Paper Maps instead.
https://www.paper-maps.com/

An easy way to test how geopdfs work is to download them from the usgs.
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#

Zoom to the 24K/7.5-minute quadrangle of interest & download the geopdf.

An example is this Grand Canyon geopdf to use in either of those two apps.
https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/StagedProducts/Maps/USTopo/PDF/AZ/AZ_King_Arthur_Castle_20210820_TM_geo.pdf

curmudgeon

Oct 2, 2022, 10:09:19 AM10/2/22
Erholt Rhein wrote at Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:25:46 -0000 (UTC) :

> The group I would have expected this question to be answered isn't a
> digital photo group because they don't know how to manipulate geospatial
> pixels - but in comp.text.pdf instead because they've done it for years.

If the digital photo newsgroup folks had been at all aware of GeoTIFF and
JPEG 2000 GeoTIFF formats they would have long ago known how to add &
preserve any geospatial coordinates embedded in those layered raster image
files.

Keep in mind most digital image readers automatically convert the incoming
coordinate system to the coordinate system of the current document when
importing new coordinate layers into an existing geospatial document.

A common coordinate system is the World Geodetic System 1984 but older maps
may have been drawn using an earlier grid coordinate system such as NAD
1927.

mark

Oct 2, 2022, 2:09:11 PM10/2/22
curmudgeon <curmu...@spam.edu> wrote:

> If the digital photo newsgroup folks had been at all aware of GeoTIFF and
> JPEG 2000 GeoTIFF formats they would have long ago known how to add &
> preserve any geospatial coordinates embedded in those layered raster image
> files.

I should update this thread even though it has been a super human effort
and I still have failed due to technical difficulties all around.

The first method that was suggested that I tried and failed at was to
download the OSM map tiles and then try to modify them with the specific
apartment and building information to try to use them inside the OSM app.

I wasn't able to download Google satellite image map tiles because of the
limitations of the tiny portable laptop without any Python or C++ on it.
https://github.com/AliFlux/MapTilesDownloader

But I found a way to download the apartment OSM map tile as an osm file.
https://blog.richmond.edu/sal/2017/10/30/downloading-open-street-map-osm-data/

From Windows Firefox I used the OSM web interface to export *.osm tiles.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/export#map=18/{latitude}/{longitude}

Then I converted that exported *.osm file online to a series of SHP files.
http://mygeodata.cloud/

These SHP files are actually of a bunch of formats inside a zip archive.
amenity_polygons-polygon.cpg
amenity_polygons-polygon.dbf
amenity_polygons-polygon.prj
amenity_polygons-polygon.shp
amenity_polygons-polygon.shx
buildings-polygon.cpg
buildings-polygon.dbf
buildings-polygon.prj
buildings-polygon.shp
buildings-polygon.shx
landcover-polygon.cpg
landcover-polygon.dbf
landcover-polygon.prj
landcover-polygon.shp
landcover-polygon.shx
roads-line.cpg
roads-line.dbf
roads-line.prj
roads-line.shp
roads-line.shx

But I'm at a loss what to do with these SHP files inside of OSMAnd or
inside of any app, for that matter.

In a second approach, I followed up on the suggestion to create a geo
spatial PDF using Adobe Acrobat but so far I'm failing miserably.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/

From these instructions it will only work with Acrobat 9 & above
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/interacting-geospatial-pdfs/
https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/geospatial-pdfs.html

I found the latest full offline Adobe Acrobat Reader installer here.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/
https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/2200220191/AcroRdrDC2200220191_en_US.exe

But I think it maybe needs the Acrobat Writer and not the Acrobat Reader.
https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/acrobat-and-reader-9-and-geospatial/

Does anyone know if the reader can create the geospatial PDFs?
Or just the writer?

As a third approach, I'm currently trying this QGIS tutorial.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

The main problem with QGIS is it won't work with the HP Stream laptop.
Nothing you can do that is below super human will get it to install.

But I found a portable GIS version 6 that installs onto a removable drive.
https://portablegis.xyz/
https://download.astuntechnology.com/home/ (login=pgis,password=pgis)
https://download.astuntechnology.com/home/portablegis_setup_v60.exe

Does anyone have qgis/pgis that knows if the pgis works like the qgis does?

curmudgeon

Oct 2, 2022, 11:39:50 PM10/2/22
mark wrote at Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:09:04 -0000 (UTC) :

> But I'm at a loss what to do with these SHP files inside of OSMAnd or
> inside of any app, for that matter.

I've never done it but the OSM wiki says you can edit a local copy of an
OSM map using either a JavaScript ID editor or a Java OSM editor (JOSM).
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Edit_maps

I'd suggest the more powerful Java OSM (JOSM) editor over Javascript ID.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

The Windows 10 JOSM installer should be located at their home page.
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/

> But I think it maybe needs the Acrobat Writer and not the Acrobat Reader.
> https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/acrobat-and-reader-9-and-geospatial/
>
> Does anyone know if the reader can create the geospatial PDFs?
> Or just the writer?

My reader doesn't have the commands for importing the OSM shape files.
Therefore I think you need the Adobe Acrobat Writer (not the reader).

> Does anyone have qgis/pgis that knows if the pgis works like the qgis does?

They don't tell you at that portable gis https://portablegis.xyz/ web site
that you first need to install Microsoft Visual C++ onto your system drive
before any of the PGIS QGIS 3.4.7-Madeira Desktop Packages buttons will
work on your laptop removable drives.

mark

Oct 3, 2022, 1:05:14 AM10/3/22
curmudgeon <curmu...@spam.edu> wrote:

>> Does anyone have qgis/pgis that knows if the pgis works like the qgis does?
>
> They don't tell you at that portable gis https://portablegis.xyz/ web site
> that you first need to install Microsoft Visual C++ onto your system drive
> before any of the PGIS QGIS 3.4.7-Madeira Desktop Packages buttons will
> work on your laptop removable drives.

I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable x64 which didn't
ask where to put it so I assume it went onto the almost full system drive.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

Then I installed portable GIS (pgis) onto the removable drive and the
button for the Desktop Packages "QGIS" brought up QGIS 3.4.7 as stated.
https://portablegis.xyz/

The suggested tutorial is for a much older version of QGIS unfortunately.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/georeferencing_basics.html

On my portable QGIS version 3.4.7, "Raster>Georeferencer" doesn't exist.
Neither does "Layer>Georeferencer" so I gave up on that old tutorial.

The QGIS interface is so complex that I need to look for a newer tutorial.

mark

Oct 3, 2022, 10:15:54 AM10/3/22
Zaidy036 <Zaid...@air.isp.spam> wrote:

> Google Maps and right click on location coordinates first item click on
> them will copy to clipboard. Then paste in your map.

The setup, so far, has been horrific but I've been making progress.

At first QGIS wouldn't install on the system drive (too little space on the
32GB HP Stream 11) and then GQIS wouldn't install on the ten times larger
removable drive, and then when portable GIS (pgis) was installed, the QGIS
button inside of PGIS would error looking for a DLL which turned out to be
due to the absence of C++ runtime libraries.

Now that QGIS 3.4 Madeira is running as a portable app on my puny travel
laptop, I followed this youtube tutorial, but I'm finding youtube tutorials
fly by too fast to catch the keyboard presses so I'm stuck at a point that
I need help to overcome. https://youtu.be/jKLBFddpTGI

There were some hurdles that I only found the solution to in the comments
(such as the Georeference plugin command not showing up initially), but I
think that tutorial "should" suffice but he moves too fast without
referencing what keyboard or commands he's activating.
(a) I loaded the OSM georeferenced map
(b) I loaded my PDF map which is not georeferenced yet
(c) I created a half dozen georeferenced common points on both maps
using the suggested transformation and coordinate system.

Where I'm stuck is at time point https://youtu.be/jKLBFddpTGI?t=660
I can't tell what he's using on each of the ten referenced points.

For me, those ten referenced points would be ten apartments so the step he
glossed over too quickly for me to catch is probably an important step.

No matter how many times I watch the video I can't figure out what he did.
But on my own, I saved the results at that time point any way that I could.

Now that I've run the georeference to create the *.qgs or *.qgz result, I
don't know what the next step is.

I tried loading the *.qgs or *.qgz result into OSMAnd+ but apparently
OSMAnd+ can't use local maps.

They keep talking about "shapefiles" but I don't know what that means.

When I loaded the results into Avenza, the current location was slightly
off the map so somehow the georeferencing is slightly off.

What I need is a TEXT (not video!) tutorial for QGIS 3.4 that shows how to
georeference a PDF or JPEG for use inside of a map app like Avenza.

I am already at the point where I created the GCPs.
But I am stuck at what I save and what I load into an Android map program.

Any explanation of what "Shapefiles" are used for in my application would
be useful. Also any explanation of what I have to save the file as to use
inside an Android navigation program would also be useful.

curmudgeon

Oct 3, 2022, 10:14:16 PM10/3/22
mark wrote at Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:05:07 -0000 (UTC) :

> The QGIS interface is so complex that I need to look for a newer tutorial.

You've invested so much into QGIS you should most likely keep going until
you succeed, but if you find the need to give up on QGIS, Ozi Explorer
works too for georeferencing map files on Windows 10 computers.

OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software which runs on your PC or laptop and will
work with Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Eagle, Brunton/Silva and MLR GPS
receivers for the upload/download of waypoints, routes and tracks and most
brand of GPS receivers for real time tracking of GPS position (Moving Map).
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/eng/oziexplorer.html

By some accounts Ozi Explorer is way better written than QGIS is but I
can't speak for either one based on my lack of personal experience.

Bill Bradshaw

Oct 4, 2022, 11:54:24 AM10/4/22
You can put a waypoint on a map for each location and link a file (photo
jpg) to it.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

mark

Oct 9, 2022, 4:01:17 PM10/9/22
mark <ma...@mark.edu> wrote:

> I'm surprised that OSMAnd+ doesn't have a "Save Current
> Location" option which I thought almost all map programs would have had.
>
> So what I do is establish my current location & long press the blue dot.

To close the loop on this seemingly missing basic functionality to "Save
current location" without needing to zoom and fatfinger the spot, Bernd
Rose wrote the following about where OSMAnd put that (hidden) feature.

> > If you /really/ want the marker to be set on the current
> > GPS position (provided, an active GPS position is acquired at that moment),
> > you just need to long-press on the blue round GPS-center button on the
> > right bottom of the screen.

It's not intuitive to long press on the blue GPS-center button to get a
menu to save the current location, but once you know how, it works great.

If you long press the blue current location dot, you can save your current
location but it's only as good as your zoom level, where if you long press
the blue GPS-center button, it's as good as your current GPS location at
any zoom level.