Photo taken in 1977 (was - Mac drive letters?)

David Brooks

Apr 27, 2022, 6:17:56 AMApr 27
On 27/04/2022 11:05, David Brooks wrote:
[....]
> Haha! 🙂 But you are right - they ARE wonderful. I can remember my first
> BBQ in Australia with those birds flying around us as my children fed
> the wild Wallabies!

https://ibb.co/KrkJnYr

The colour has faded somewhat!

Ah! Memories. :-D

Commander Kinsey

Apr 27, 2022, 3:32:46 PMApr 27
The ginger hair didn't fade.

I've never seen friendly wallabies - those are living wild?

David Brooks

Apr 27, 2022, 4:08:59 PMApr 27
On 27/04/2022 20:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:17:50 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 27/04/2022 11:05, David Brooks wrote:
>> [....]
>>> Haha! 🙂 But you are right - they ARE wonderful. I can remember my first
>>> BBQ in Australia with those birds flying around us as my children fed
>>> the wild Wallabies!
>>
>> https://ibb.co/KrkJnYr
>>
>> The colour has faded somewhat!
>>
>> Ah! Memories. :-D
>
> The ginger hair didn't fade.

In real-life, over time, it did.
Mind you, my son doesn't have great deal left if the truth be told.

> I've never seen friendly wallabies - those are living wild?

Yes. Completely wild ..... but in an area popular for beach BBQs and
swimming, so the Wallabies were well used to people visiting the area.

The nearest comparable thing we've seen here in the UK would be Dartmoor
ponies!

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/living-and-working/farming/ponies

https://visitdartmoor.co.uk/the-famous-dartmoor-ponies

Commander Kinsey

Apr 27, 2022, 4:44:57 PMApr 27
On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:08:50 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On 27/04/2022 20:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:17:50 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 27/04/2022 11:05, David Brooks wrote:
>>> [....]
>>>
>>> https://ibb.co/KrkJnYr
>>>
>>> The colour has faded somewhat!
>>>
>>> Ah! Memories. :-D
>>
>> The ginger hair didn't fade.
>
> In real-life, over time, it did.
> Mind you, my son doesn't have great deal left if the truth be told.

My neighbour was a ginger alledgedly (not the next door one, the tradesman one). He's been grey since I've known him when he was about 35. Now that kid him and his wife take on holiday is ginger. They don't have kids. She's the daughter of one of his ex-employees. The father is "not present". Yeah ok.... The wife really is gullible.

>> I've never seen friendly wallabies - those are living wild?
>
> Yes. Completely wild ..... but in an area popular for beach BBQs and
> swimming, so the Wallabies were well used to people visiting the area.

I have three times swam up to a seal, once 40 miles down the road from here in the sea - a wild one, once in a river 10 miles from here - also wild, and once in England near where they release babies into the wild. Inquisitive and not scared of people when you don't have a boat and are not on land where you can move faster. Although the river I was in a canoe.

> The nearest comparable thing we've seen here in the UK would be Dartmoor
> ponies!
>
> https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/living-and-working/farming/ponies
>
> https://visitdartmoor.co.uk/the-famous-dartmoor-ponies

I thought all horses were tame?

"Please do not feed the ponies
It encourages them to stay near the road where they might be killed or seriously injured."
- that reminds me of something I saw advertised on Ebay for only a fiver. You fit it under the bonnet of your car and it emits ultrasound to scare off deer etc, so they don't get run over. Maybe all cars should have these. I've killed one with my Golf :-(

David Brooks

Apr 27, 2022, 5:08:49 PMApr 27
On 27/04/2022 21:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:08:50 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 27/04/2022 20:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> The ginger hair didn't fade.
>>
>> In real-life, over time, it did.
>> Mind you, my son doesn't have great deal left if the truth be told.
>
> My neighbour was a ginger allegedly (not the next door one, the
> tradesman one).  He's been grey since I've known him when he was about
> 35.  Now that kid him and his wife take on holiday is ginger.  They
> don't have kids.  She's the daughter of one of his ex-employees.  The
> father is "not present".  Yeah ok....  The wife really is gullible.

I can't possibly comment!

>>> I've never seen friendly wallabies - those are living wild?
>>
>> Yes. Completely wild ..... but in an area popular for beach BBQs and
>> swimming, so the Wallabies were well used to people visiting the area.
>
> I have three times swam up to a seal, once 40 miles down the road from
> here in the sea - a wild one, once in a river 10 miles from here - also
> wild, and once in England near where they release babies into the wild.
> Inquisitive and not scared of people when you don't have a boat and are
> not on land where you can move faster.  Although the river I was in a
> canoe.

You have been truly privileged. :-D

You most surely are joking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTHB4jM-KQ

> "Please do not feed the ponies
> It encourages them to stay near the road where they might be killed or
> seriously injured."
> - that reminds me of something I saw advertised on Ebay for only a
> fiver.  You fit it under the bonnet of your car and it emits ultrasound
> to scare off deer etc, so they don't get run over.  Maybe all cars
> should have these.  I've killed one with my Golf :-(

It hurts. :-( In my lifetime, I've hit two. One was pregnant and the
baby spilt out onto the road. I felt terrible and rang and asked the
police to deal with the remains.

Perhaps you are right about Ultrasound.

Commander Kinsey

Apr 27, 2022, 5:46:11 PMApr 27
If you'd seen his wife you'd understand why he cheated. She has more armpit hair than any man I've seen and refuses to shave it off.

>>> Yes. Completely wild ..... but in an area popular for beach BBQs and
>>> swimming, so the Wallabies were well used to people visiting the area.
>>
>> I have three times swam up to a seal, once 40 miles down the road from
>> here in the sea - a wild one, once in a river 10 miles from here - also
>> wild, and once in England near where they release babies into the wild.
>> Inquisitive and not scared of people when you don't have a boat and are
>> not on land where you can move faster. Although the river I was in a
>> canoe.
>
> You have been truly privileged. :-D

Indeed, nothing is more fun than nature.

And yes I was naked on all occasions. Maybe shorts scare seals?

>>> The nearest comparable thing we've seen here in the UK would be Dartmoor
>>> ponies!
>>>
>>> https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/living-and-working/farming/ponies
>>>
>>> https://visitdartmoor.co.uk/the-famous-dartmoor-ponies
>>
>> I thought all horses were tame?
>
> You most surely are joking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTHB4jM-KQ

Every horse I've seen lets me pet and feed it. Mind you there are no wild horses in the UK. Also no animal hates me. It's fun to play with a rottweiler the owner cannot handle.

>> "Please do not feed the ponies
>> It encourages them to stay near the road where they might be killed or
>> seriously injured."
>> - that reminds me of something I saw advertised on Ebay for only a
>> fiver. You fit it under the bonnet of your car and it emits ultrasound
>> to scare off deer etc, so they don't get run over. Maybe all cars
>> should have these. I've killed one with my Golf :-(
>
> It hurts. :-( In my lifetime, I've hit two. One was pregnant and the
> baby spilt out onto the road. I felt terrible and rang and asked the
> police to deal with the remains.
>
> Perhaps you are right about Ultrasound.

I think I'll buy one. You can get one here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194805544449

Peter Jason

Apr 27, 2022, 7:13:51 PMApr 27
<D...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On 27/04/2022 11:05, David Brooks wrote:
>[....]
>> Haha! ? But you are right - they ARE wonderful. I can remember my first
>> BBQ in Australia with those birds flying around us as my children fed
>> the wild Wallabies!
>
>https://ibb.co/KrkJnYr
>
>The colour has faded somewhat!
>
>Ah! Memories. :-D

I have similar pics from the 70's and I have PShopped them all to
great effect. Some are irredeemable though. Your's fixed is an
example of the successes.
https://postimg.cc/zb828JLZ

Magani

Apr 27, 2022, 8:00:35 PMApr 27
They look remarkably similar to the kangaroo alarms whistles here - https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-animal-repeller-black-2-pack/558747.html

The jury seems to be out on how effective they are on Australian wildlife; seemingly PhD-worthy discussions and reputations are at stake. :-)

Kangaroos and wallabies are remarkably dense (from a thinking point of view) when it comes to traffic. They'll bounce onto a highway, then run in the direction of traffic up the centre of your lane. As my Dad would say, "They're as thick as two short planks". Only thing worse is an Emu - to paraphrase Pooh, "A bird with very little brain".

I've managed to hit 5 roos/wallabies in my time on the road (some actually ran into me), but AFAIK, I've not killed any of them outright (they all bounced off into the bush and I wasn't about to chase them in the dark). At the risk of seeming heartless, more serious accidents have been caused by folks swerving to avoid a roo, than actually just braking hard in a straight line. As mentioned, it's not a happy time for either party. There's a reason trucks and 4WDs have a 'roo bar' out the front. You don't want a smashed radiator when you're 200 miles from the nearest garage.

Cheers,
Magani

Commander Kinsey

Apr 27, 2022, 8:09:41 PMApr 27
I always prefer braking to swerving. Swerving can cause another unforeseen problem. If something is going wrong, remove all momentum.

David Brooks

Apr 28, 2022, 3:23:58 AMApr 28
Wow! How kind of you to go to so much trouble, Peter.

I really appreciate that. *THANK YOU*!

Would you like another to 'play' with?

David Brooks

Apr 28, 2022, 4:14:52 AMApr 28
I agree - 100% :-D

I was once helped by a Dolphin when I capsized a Bosun Dingy in
Falmouth. He (she?) came alongside and allowed me to step on its back to
climb aboard again! Absolutely true.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/navyfit/adventurous-training/adventurous-training-centres/royal-navy-water-activity-centre----falmouth

> And yes I was naked on all occasions.  Maybe shorts scare seals?

I couldn't possibly comment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTkOwtbiq0

>>> I thought all horses were tame?
>>
>> You most surely are joking?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTHB4jM-KQ
>
> Every horse I've seen lets me pet and feed it.  Mind you there are no
> wild horses in the UK.  Also no animal hates me.  It's fun to play with
> a rottweiler the owner cannot handle.

Take care.

>>> "Please do not feed the ponies
>>> It encourages them to stay near the road where they might be killed or
>>> seriously injured."
>>> - that reminds me of something I saw advertised on Ebay for only a
>>> fiver.  You fit it under the bonnet of your car and it emits ultrasound
>>> to scare off deer etc, so they don't get run over.  Maybe all cars
>>> should have these.  I've killed one with my Golf :-(
>>
>> It hurts. :-(  In my lifetime, I've hit two. One was pregnant and the
>> baby spilt out onto the road. I felt terrible and rang and asked the
>> police to deal with the remains.
>>
>> Perhaps you are right about Ultrasound.
>
> I think I'll buy one.  You can get one here:
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194805544449

That wouldn't have have helped in my second case - the animal jumped
over a hedge to my left and landed right in front of me.

My son tells me that some electric cars now have 'pretend engine noise'
generators to protect pedestrians! Whatever next?!!!

D.

Peter Jason

Apr 28, 2022, 5:16:48 PMApr 28
On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:23:52 +0100, David Brooks
Yes, OK. But it was no trouble.
Regards.

David Brooks

Apr 28, 2022, 5:44:38 PMApr 28
That is most kind. Thanks. :-)

This one is rather worse for wear! I can't recall how it got into such a
state! https://ibb.co/2F0zNVp

Perhaps the exercise keeps your fingers nimble and your brain alert!

Regards reciprocated,
David

Commander Kinsey

Apr 28, 2022, 11:28:08 PMApr 28
Dolphins love humans as much as we love them. We are equally intelligent and respect each other like our own kind.
Rover gets very bad press, but my first car was a Rover and very sturdily built. Until it hit a tractor, which ended up worse off! Maybe momentum matters, it was doing 5mph and I was doing 90 er.... 60mph. Yes the sign said 60, I must have been doing 60.

However my neighbour's Rover 75 (top of the range) had the worst automatic gearbox I'd ever seen. It was like a learner driver changing gear. You should not notice when an auto box changes gear. But then I was used to a German car, they do things very well indeed. Pity they didn't win the war!

>>> You most surely are joking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTHB4jM-KQ
>>
>> Every horse I've seen lets me pet and feed it. Mind you there are no
>> wild horses in the UK. Also no animal hates me. It's fun to play with
>> a rottweiler the owner cannot handle.
>
> Take care.

I don't need to. Animals think I'm one of them. They might be right.

>>> It hurts. :-( In my lifetime, I've hit two. One was pregnant and the
>>> baby spilt out onto the road. I felt terrible and rang and asked the
>>> police to deal with the remains.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you are right about Ultrasound.
>>
>> I think I'll buy one. You can get one here:
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194805544449
>
> That wouldn't have have helped in my second case - the animal jumped
> over a hedge to my left and landed right in front of me.

Same here, it was chasing females! But if it had heard the high pitch noise perhaps it would have stopped in fright and still be alive?

I have bought one and I suggest everyone else does. It will be interesting to see what happens when I drive past someone walking a dog....

> My son tells me that some electric cars now have 'pretend engine noise'
> generators to protect pedestrians! Whatever next?!!!

Very easy to disconnect. I refuse to create noise pollution after spending a fortune on a quiet car. Pedestrians should learn to use their eyes.

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 3:21:36 AMApr 29
All read and understood. Thank you for being my friend! :-D

Have a great day.

--
David

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 3:48:43 AMApr 29
You can also disconnect those stupid distracting EU-decided daytime lights.

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 3:57:02 AMApr 29
My car is too old to have them!

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 4:03:12 AMApr 29
So is mine, but I can engage my full beam when one comes towards me with his on. Some are actually brighter than full beam. And I've seen psycholists with them, and flashing!

It is quite funny when a modern daylight lights car is driving at night. Since the lights were already on at the front, they don't remember to switch on the "real" lights at night, so they have no back lights. Sometimes I flash, sometimes I flash the car lights, and sometimes I threaten them by almost crashing into the back of them.

Funniest one was a pedestrian who walked in front of me without looking. I revved the 3.5 litre V8 and they ran faster than I thought possible.

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 4:12:25 AMApr 29
OMFG. These are not ultrasonic speakers, not electronic, not electrical. It's a piece of plastic in some form of whistle shape that alledgedly makes ultrasound when travelling over 60kmph. I blew into it and it made a normal human hearable whistling sound, so I'm guessing that under 60kmph it's going to piss off every pedestrian. I like it.

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 5:20:05 AMApr 29
On 29/04/2022 09:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:56:54 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 29/04/2022 08:48, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> You can also disconnect those stupid distracting EU-decided daytime
>>> lights.
>>
>> My car is too old to have them!
>
> So is mine, but I can engage my full beam when one comes towards me with
> his on.  Some are actually brighter than full beam.  And I've seen
> psycholists with them, and flashing!

How do you know the profession of the oncoming driver?

> It is quite funny when a modern daylight lights car is driving at
> night.  Since the lights were already on at the front, they don't
> remember to switch on the "real" lights at night, so they have no back
> lights.  Sometimes I flash, sometimes I flash the car lights, and
> sometimes I threaten them by almost crashing into the back of them.

Be careful; one day you may succeed!

> Funniest one was a pedestrian who walked in front of me without
> looking.  I revved the 3.5 litre V8 and they ran faster than I thought
> possible.

Very naughty! ;-)

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 5:21:12 AMApr 29
No worries there, then! You don't drive at less than 100!

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 5:40:59 AMApr 29
Uhhh.... psycholists are on two wheels, not drivers.

>> It is quite funny when a modern daylight lights car is driving at
>> night. Since the lights were already on at the front, they don't
>> remember to switch on the "real" lights at night, so they have no back
>> lights. Sometimes I flash, sometimes I flash the car lights, and
>> sometimes I threaten them by almost crashing into the back of them.
>
> Be careful; one day you may succeed!

I did that once, but only because I forgot that particular car had no ABS. It's amazing how long they take to stop.

>> Funniest one was a pedestrian who walked in front of me without
>> looking. I revved the 3.5 litre V8 and they ran faster than I thought
>> possible.
>
> Very naughty! ;-)

No, I saved their life. If they had done that again in front of someone who wasn't looking they might have been killed. I taught them how to cross safely :)

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 5:41:56 AMApr 29
In a built up area I do not exceed 60mph. Although I guess that is over the pansy 60kmph quoted on the instructions.

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 7:51:00 AMApr 29
Maybe you'll watch and learn here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig8uOyybH_o

Some of the comments are interesting.

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 5:57:25 PMApr 29
I've never hit anyone with my car. If I do, it'll be because they didn't look before crossing, so their fault.

> Some of the comments are interesting.

My favourite is "America is that special needs kid in class"

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 6:36:51 PMApr 29
That's good. I trust it will continue that way.

>> Some of the comments are interesting.
>
> My favourite is "America is that special needs kid in class"

They are a different breed to us, for sure! ;-)

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 6:55:17 PMApr 29
Are these illegal?:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i402aqgctfsndp2/Scatter%20scooters%21.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wtexv2dhgb00nn/Fast%20bumps.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6smlrj9svg0k32q/Slalom.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uonb2oiv107sm5s/Bicycle.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x01423s99pbqqyl/Scatter.mp4?dl=0

>>> Some of the comments are interesting.
>>
>> My favourite is "America is that special needs kid in class"
>
> They are a different breed to us, for sure! ;-)

They're just what we sere 100 years ago. Something made them evolve slower.

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 7:12:17 PMApr 29
Everyone is entitle to have a camera in their car, so no, not illegal.

>>> My favourite is "America is that special needs kid in class"
>>
>> They are a different breed to us, for sure! ;-)
>
> They're just what we were 100 years ago.  Something made them evolve
> slower.

Probably the guilt they've been carrying for killing most of the
indigenous population.

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 7:21:41 PMApr 29
Very funny. I was referring to the speed and terrorizing of pedestrians.

My highest ever speed is 140mph.

Or 700 if you count planes.

55 on a boat.

>>> They are a different breed to us, for sure! ;-)
>>
>> They're just what we were 100 years ago. Something made them evolve
>> slower.
>
> Probably the guilt they've been carrying for killing most of the
> indigenous population.

Most do not feel guilty about that. Some do.

https://youtu.be/NY5Nc5MHZvc

David Brooks

Apr 30, 2022, 4:58:27 AMApr 30
I'm sorry - I didn't note the speed on the videos! ;-)

>>> They're just what we were 100 years ago.  Something made them evolve
>>> slower.
>>
>> Probably the guilt they've been carrying for killing most of the
>> indigenous population.
>
> Most do not feel guilty about that.  Some do.
>
> https://youtu.be/NY5Nc5MHZvc

A great song - with great Lyrics.

Lyrics
She came from Providence, the one in Rhode Island
Where the old world shadows hang heavy in the air
She packed her hopes and dreams like a refugee
Just as her father came across the sea
She heard about a place people were smilin'
They spoke about the red man's way, how they loved the land
And they came from everywhere to the Great Divide
Seeking a place to stand or a place to hide
Down in the crowded bars out for a good time,
Can't wait to tell you all what it's like up there
And they called it paradise, I don't know why
Somebody laid the mountains low while the town got high
Then the chilly winds blew down across the desert
Through the canyons of the coast to the Malibu
Where the pretty people play hungry for power
To light their neon way and give them things to do
Some rich man came and raped the land, nobody caught 'em
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes and, Jesus, people bought 'em
And they called it paradise, the place to be,
They watched the hazy sun sinking in the sea
You can leave it all behind and sail to Lahaina
Just like the missionaries did so many years ago
They even brought a neon sign 'Jesus is Coming'
Brought the white man's burden down, brought the white man's reign
Who will provide the grand design, what is yours and what is mine?
'Cause there is no more new frontier, we have got to make it here
We satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds
In the name of destiny and in the name of God
And you can see them there on Sunday morning
Stand up and sing about what it's like up there
They called it paradise, I don't know why
You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye
Source: LyricFind

Commander Kinsey

Apr 30, 2022, 5:21:43 AMApr 30
Those videos were not 140. That occurred in France. The Gendarme lost me.
Indeed, it's a pity people don't listen to lyrics properly. This is another favourite:
https://youtu.be/PGNTaM7roSY

David Brooks

Apr 30, 2022, 5:33:54 AMApr 30
You are a card! ;-)

>>> Most do not feel guilty about that.  Some do.
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/NY5Nc5MHZvc
>>
>> A great song - with great Lyrics.
>>
>> Lyrics
[....]
> Indeed, it's a pity people don't listen to lyrics properly.  This is
> another favourite:
> https://youtu.be/PGNTaM7roSY

That is lovely. Words, music and singer.

Thank you for sharing. :-D

Commander Kinsey

Apr 30, 2022, 5:38:29 AMApr 30
I was given a red card. Another one nicked me for having a radar detector. "C'est interdit en France!"

That car didn't speed again, the engine seized a few days later. French shite.

David Brooks

Apr 30, 2022, 10:09:26 AMApr 30
Ha! You've told me that before! :-D

Commander Kinsey

Apr 30, 2022, 6:11:25 PMApr 30
That cost the AA a lot of money to tow it right across two countries while renting me a Laguna.

David Brooks

May 1, 2022, 7:24:30 AMMay 1
On 30/04/2022 23:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[....]

>>> I was given a red card.  Another one nicked me for having a radar
>>> detector.  "C'est interdit en France!"
>>>
>>> That car didn't speed again, the engine seized a few days later.  French
>>> shite.
>>
>> Ha! You've told me that before! :-D
>
> That cost the AA a lot of money to tow it right across two countries
> while renting me a Laguna.

You never cease to surprise me!

Do you actually PAY for a subscription to the AA?

Btw - what's with this "renting me a car"? That's Americanese!

Commander Kinsey

May 1, 2022, 11:12:35 PMMay 1
On Sun, 01 May 2022 12:24:23 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On 30/04/2022 23:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> [....]

>>> Ha! You've told me that before! :-D
>>
>> That cost the AA a lot of money to tow it right across two countries
>> while renting me a Laguna.
>
> You never cease to surprise me!

I am a master of making things go wrong.

> Do you actually PAY for a subscription to the AA?

I pay one third of their normal price.

> Btw - what's with this "renting me a car"? That's Americanese!

What is the English for that then?

David Brooks

May 2, 2022, 2:46:45 AMMay 2
On 02/05/2022 04:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2022 12:24:23 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 30/04/2022 23:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> [....]

>>> That cost the AA a lot of money to tow it right across two countries
>>> while renting me a Laguna.
>>
>> You never cease to surprise me!
>
> I am a master of making things go wrong.

Yet your heart is in the right place! ❤️

>> Do you actually PAY for a subscription to the AA?
>
> I pay one third of their normal price.

How come? (but congratulations anyway!)

>> Btw - what's with this "renting me a car"? That's Americanese!
>
> What is the English for that then?

They lent you or loaned you a car.

If you had to pay, you'd have hired the car.

Commander Kinsey

May 2, 2022, 2:57:25 AMMay 2
On Mon, 02 May 2022 07:46:36 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On 02/05/2022 04:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 May 2022 12:24:23 +0100, David Brooks <D...@nomail.afraid.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 30/04/2022 23:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> [....]

>>> You never cease to surprise me!
>>
>> I am a master of making things go wrong.
>
> Yet your heart is in the right place! ❤️
>
>>> Do you actually PAY for a subscription to the AA?
>>
>> I pay one third of their normal price.
>
> How come? (but congratulations anyway!)

Just threaten to leave. Quote Greenflag price. Greenflag sux, but the AA will still discount you to keep you. You have to do this every year though, they sneak it back up. They count on most people not bothering.

And car insurance is no longer allowed to do introductory first year prices but they still fuck you about and will take money off if they think you're leaving.

>>> Btw - what's with this "renting me a car"? That's Americanese!
>>
>> What is the English for that then?
>
> They lent you or loaned you a car.
>
> If you had to pay, you'd have hired the car.

No, if you loaned me a car, that would be your car. If you rented me a car, you have paid for a rental car from a company with your money, but for me. Big difference.

As for rent and hire, they mean precisely the same. You would say you hire a car but you rent a house?! I just rent both.

David Brooks

May 2, 2022, 3:10:37 AMMay 2
I understand completely. My wife carries out this exercise each year
with the RAC. Well worthwhile!

> And car insurance is no longer allowed to do introductory first year
> prices but they still fuck you about and will take money off if they
> think you're leaving.

My renewal this year was £30 less than last year, so I didn't bother
shopping around!

>>> What is the English for that then?
>>
>> They lent you or loaned you a car.
>>
>> If you had to pay, you'd have hired the car.
>
> No, if you loaned me a car, that would be your car.  If you rented me a
> car, you have paid for a rental car from a company with your money, but
> for me.  Big difference.
>
> As for rent and hire, they mean precisely the same.  You would say you
> hire a car but you rent a house?!  I just rent both.

I concede. I don't do either. :-D

Commander Kinsey

May 2, 2022, 3:27:41 AMMay 2
AA is cheaper than RAC. How much do you pay and for what package?

>> And car insurance is no longer allowed to do introductory first year
>> prices but they still fuck you about and will take money off if they
>> think you're leaving.
>
> My renewal this year was £30 less than last year, so I didn't bother
> shopping around!

I've never seen one go down by itself.

>>> They lent you or loaned you a car.
>>>
>>> If you had to pay, you'd have hired the car.
>>
>> No, if you loaned me a car, that would be your car. If you rented me a
>> car, you have paid for a rental car from a company with your money, but
>> for me. Big difference.
>>
>> As for rent and hire, they mean precisely the same. You would say you
>> hire a car but you rent a house?! I just rent both.
>
> I concede. I don't do either. :-D

Neither do I, I was talking about what I would call it.

David Brooks

May 2, 2022, 3:36:37 AMMay 2
I'll check.

>>> And car insurance is no longer allowed to do introductory first year
>>> prices but they still fuck you about and will take money off if they
>>> think you're leaving.
>>
>> My renewal this year was £30 less than last year, so I didn't bother
>> shopping around!
>
> I've never seen one go down by itself.

I'd never seen it either!

>>> No, if you loaned me a car, that would be your car.  If you rented me a
>>> car, you have paid for a rental car from a company with your money, but
>>> for me.  Big difference.
>>>
>>> As for rent and hire, they mean precisely the same.  You would say you
>>> hire a car but you rent a house?!  I just rent both.
>>
>> I concede. I don't do either. :-D
>
> Neither do I, I was talking about what I would call it.

Sorry. I misunderstood.

David Brooks

May 2, 2022, 4:12:41 AMMay 2
On 02/05/2022 08:36, David Brooks wrote:
> On 02/05/2022 08:27, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>> AA is cheaper than RAC.  How much do you pay and for what package?
>
> I'll check.

I suspect we didn't challenge last October - probably more concerned
with Covid infections etc.

We actually paid £126.99 - for their top-of-the-range package.

I've been with the RAC for over 50 years and have enjoyed excellent
service throughout.

Commander Kinsey

May 2, 2022, 4:24:39 AMMay 2
Holy shit that's expensive, but then I don't get top of the range. Just basic fix it or take me to a garage. My neighbour does the same. We've both towed each other a quarter mile from home because we didn't have home start.

David Brooks

May 2, 2022, 5:15:24 AMMay 2
I may have done such a thing when I was a youngster, but I can now
afford to pay for the convenience. What you do costs a lot in terms of
time, too.

Commander Kinsey

May 2, 2022, 6:40:37 AMMay 2