Olympus cameras more reliable than Canon, Fuji, Sony, Nikon

Alfred Molon

Mar 13, 2023, 1:16:54 PM3/13/23

RichA

Mar 14, 2023, 10:55:14 AM3/14/23
This really isn't new. It's been that way since the E-1.

Peter Jason

Mar 14, 2023, 3:59:13 PM3/14/23
On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 18:16:48 +0100, Alfred Molon
<alfred...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>https://www.43rumors.com/survey-in-australia-shows-that-om-digital-makes-the-most-reliable-cameras/
My E500 is still working well.

geoff

Mar 14, 2023, 8:27:16 PM3/14/23
I don't have an Olympus, but equally I've never had a camera that wasn't
100% reliable.

Maybe the experience of others is different enough to make a meaningful
statistic ...

geoff

RichA

Mar 14, 2023, 10:59:42 PM3/14/23
I've had a lot of cameras, the only one to fail (and it was their fault) was a Pentax. Apparently, Ricoh cheaped-out on shutter solenoids and they failed.
That said, prior to Ricoh, I had two very good Pentax's (K10D, K20D) that were flawless, in-terms of reliability.
But there is no question Olympus has/had gone the extra mile.
The biggest thing that ever impacted them negatively was the barbaric "live camera update" where you had to be on a working internet line
to update firmware. This bricked more than a few.

Incubus

Mar 15, 2023, 7:58:12 AM3/15/23
They're considered more reliable because they sit in drawers gathering
dust and therefore people have little experience of failure :)

It also depends on the model. I don't know about an old Nikon D3100 but
my D3S would probably survive a nuclear war.

Alan Browne

Mar 15, 2023, 10:33:42 AM3/15/23
That is a pretty subjective survey. All that would really count is
actual repair data.

Once people are invested in a system, they won't leap over this as their
cameras are very reliable in the first place - Oly may be better, but
not enough to matter once you're in a system.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Whisky-dave

Mar 15, 2023, 10:37:29 AM3/15/23
So would cock roaches, although I doubt they are useful for taking photos.

Alfred Molon

Mar 15, 2023, 4:29:49 PM3/15/23
Am 15.03.2023 um 15:33 schrieb Alan Browne:
> On 2023-03-13 13:16, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> https://www.43rumors.com/survey-in-australia-shows-that-om-digital-makes-the-most-reliable-cameras/
>>

> That is a pretty subjective survey.  All that would really count is
> actual repair data.
>
> Once people are invested in a system, they won't leap over this as their
> cameras are very reliable in the first place - Oly may be better, but
> not enough to matter once you're in a system.

I haven't had bodies fail, but I've been using Sony DSLRs (Alpha) for
years and the damn lenses would break by themselves. The AF of the CZ
16-80 broke three times. After the second time it broke, it could not be
repaired anymore and I had to buy a new CZ 16-80 lens. A Tamron alpha
mount tele lens also broke (again the AF).

But all m4/3 lenses I've bought still work reliably after all these
years. None has ever failed.