Wokies upset with Raspberry Pi

RichA

Dec 10, 2022, 10:48:18 AM12/10/22

Alfred Molon

Dec 10, 2022, 2:06:37 PM12/10/22
Am 10.12.2022 um 16:48 schrieb RichA:
> https://petapixel.com/2022/12/09/raspberry-pi-under-fire-by-creators-who-are-upset-it-hired-a-former-cop/

What is a "wokie"?
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

RichA

Dec 10, 2022, 6:46:01 PM12/10/22
On Saturday, 10 December 2022 at 14:06:37 UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
> Am 10.12.2022 um 16:48 schrieb RichA:
> > https://petapixel.com/2022/12/09/raspberry-pi-under-fire-by-creators-who-are-upset-it-hired-a-former-cop/
>
> What is a "wokie"?
> --
> Alfred Molon

A "woke" person. But, the article makes Rasperry Pi users seem like fringers.

Magani

Dec 10, 2022, 7:20:22 PM12/10/22
I own a number of RasPis and don't consider myself either woke or on any fringe. Yes, I use a couple as El Cheapo security cameras and they are disguised as other objects to stop the local yobbos from either mangling them or spraying them with black paint. Also, if you are in the business of doing secret police stuff, does it matter whose kit he used? Those lambasting RasPi for employing him, seem to be against any surveillance, regardless of the kit's manufacturer.

Given that it's a UK company, and I might assume some folks who are winging are UK residents, how do they cope with this:-

"Research by Clarion Security Systems estimates that there are over 942,562 CCTV Cameras in London, meaning there is 1 CCTV camera for every 10 people in the capital. You are likely to be captured on London CCTV up to 70 times per day. (2022)" (https://clarionuk.com/resources/how-many-cctv-cameras-are-in-london/)

Ages ago, I had an uncle who was in the local plod's Special Branch. According to him, they've been the Dept of Dirty Tricks for years.

Cheers,
Magani

RichA

Dec 10, 2022, 11:16:05 PM12/10/22
On Saturday, 10 December 2022 at 19:20:22 UTC-5, Magani wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 December 2022 at 9:46:01 am UTC+10, RichA wrote:
> > >
> > > What is a "wokie"?
> > > --
> > > Alfred Molon
> > A "woke" person. But, the article makes Rasperry Pi users seem like fringers.
> I own a number of RasPis and don't consider myself either woke or on any fringe. Yes, I use a couple as El Cheapo security cameras and they are disguised as other objects to stop the local yobbos from either mangling them or spraying them with black paint. Also, if you are in the business of doing secret police stuff, does it matter whose kit he used? Those lambasting RasPi for employing him, seem to be against any surveillance, regardless of the kit's manufacturer.
>
> Given that it's a UK company, and I might assume some folks who are winging are UK residents, how do they cope with this:-
>
> "Research by Clarion Security Systems estimates that there are over 942,562 CCTV Cameras in London, meaning there is 1 CCTV camera for every 10 people in the capital. You are likely to be captured on London CCTV up to 70 times per day. (2022)" (https://clarionuk.com/resources/how-many-cctv-cameras-are-in-london/)

Maybe that camera density is what drove the shut-ins insane? It was neat how the spies in the Brit TV series, "Spooks" (MI-5) jumped from camera feed to camera feed following a suspect in real-time.

geoff

Dec 11, 2022, 3:55:22 AM12/11/22
On 11/12/2022 8:06 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
> Am 10.12.2022 um 16:48 schrieb RichA:
>> https://petapixel.com/2022/12/09/raspberry-pi-under-fire-by-creators-who-are-upset-it-hired-a-former-cop/
>
> What is a "wokie"?

Somebody who isn't an arsehole.

Granted, some socially aware people can be OTT, but dicks typically like
to give the label to anybody just one goosestep to the left of themselves.

geoff

Alfred Molon

Dec 11, 2022, 4:54:18 AM12/11/22
Am 11.12.2022 um 00:45 schrieb RichA:

> A "woke" person.

Ok, I think I found it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

But honestly, what a dumb term. I hope it doesn't get adopted here in
Germany (sometimes Germans pick up American terms).

-hh

Dec 11, 2022, 8:26:31 AM12/11/22
“Goosestep”? Wow, I did Nazi that play on words coming. Nicely done.

-hh

RichA

Dec 11, 2022, 5:56:38 PM12/11/22
Speaking of blanket labels...

Alan Browne

Dec 22, 2022, 12:47:13 PM12/22/22
On 2022-12-10 14:06, Alfred Molon wrote:

> What is a "wokie"?

From the now long dead term "woke" that right wingers sling around at
progressives as an insult. Of course it only makes the right wingers
look even more like the brainless idiots that they cheer on (Trump,
Cruz, etc), esp. as they apply the term on such a wide range of topics
that it's lost entire meaning - just like right wingers are so lost that
they just re-inforce how meaningless they are to the world.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Alan Browne

Dec 22, 2022, 12:48:00 PM12/22/22
On 2022-12-10 10:48, RichA wrote:
> https://petapixel.com/2022/12/09/raspberry-pi-under-fire-by-creators-who-are-upset-it-hired-a-former-cop/

So like you to drag out a dead paintbrush due to a few malcontents
writing some edge crap.

geoff

Dec 22, 2022, 4:23:30 PM12/22/22
On 23/12/2022 6:47 am, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2022-12-10 14:06, Alfred Molon wrote:
>
>> What is a "wokie"?
>
> From the now long dead term "woke" that right wingers sling around at
> progressives as an insult.  Of course it only makes the right wingers
> look even more like the brainless idiots that they cheer on (Trump,
> Cruz, etc), esp. as they apply the term on such a wide range of topics
> that it's lost entire meaning - just like right wingers are so lost that
> they just re-inforce how meaningless they are to the world.

Not to mention calling US Democrats 'extreme left wingers' !

geoff

RichA

Dec 23, 2022, 10:43:47 AM12/23/22
Huh. Maybe not 10 years ago, but the radical left has insinuated itself into the Democratic party like tick on a dog.

Alan Browne

Dec 23, 2022, 3:40:22 PM12/23/22
ROFL. A few noisy people don't make the Dems "radical left" - they
tread damn to the right from a Canadian perspective.

geoff

Dec 23, 2022, 9:04:49 PM12/23/22
Your 'radical left' being what the rest of the world would call 'middle
of the road'.

geoff