Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

RichA

Oct 5, 2021, 5:52:39 PM10/5/21
It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just use a
regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue getting
a shot angle.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-reveals-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display

geoff

Oct 5, 2021, 8:30:11 PM10/5/21
Are you aware of an actual problem with the way Nikon (hey, what would
they know anyway ....) have chosen to implement it ?

geoff

RichA

Oct 6, 2021, 10:53:21 AM10/6/21
Just by looking at it.

Bill W

Oct 6, 2021, 12:06:58 PM10/6/21
On Oct 6, 2021, RichA wrote
(in article<6bec4e57-07cf-44b8...@googlegroups.com>):
How would it be different from the Pentax K1? Don’t you have one of those?

geoff

Oct 6, 2021, 5:35:19 PM10/6/21
Hardly a great pretext for slamming it then.

And should have looked harder - it's called the Z9 - R9 is a Canon.

geoff

Eric Stevens

Oct 7, 2021, 8:09:03 PM10/7/21
On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:30:00 +1300, geoff <ge...@nospamgeoffwood.org>
wrote:
I suspect he would not like a conventional plastic assembly either.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

RichA

Oct 7, 2021, 11:46:02 PM10/7/21
Yes, sorry. Canon released their pro model first. One other camera had this kind of complicated system for articulating the LCD, but I can't remember which camera.

Eric Stevens

Oct 8, 2021, 7:36:52 PM10/8/21
On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:52:36 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
wrote:
It's just occurred to me: the rods could easily be titanium. Lighter
and stronger. It's hard to tell the difference from stainless steel.
In any case, the stainless steel should be quite strong and tough
enough if the correct grade has been used.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens