Problem saving screen profile file.

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 12:46:39 AM8/9/15
I have a Dell XPS 8300 fitted with an i7. I am running Windows 7/64
bit which as far as I know is fully updated. Certainly it is service
pack 1. My major use of the machine is processing photographic images.

For may years I have been keeping my screen profiles calibrated using
the DataColor Spyder. I used the Spyder 4 Pro quite succesfully for a
long time, until about mid June this year I found that every time I
tried to save the profile after a new calibration I received the
single-line message

"SaveProfileUsingCM.DeleteFile failed
[C:Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color\<name>.icm"

Where <name> is the chosen name of the profile.

About a month ago I installed a Spyder 5 Pro, and I still have the
same problem. I have been in touch with DataColor but so far they have
not been able to come up with anything that helps.

Today I have spent several hours experimenting with all kinds of
possible variables but none of my trials have enabled me to save a
profile. I always end up with the failure message. About all I have
not done is invoke the command "net user administrator /active:yes"

Changing the name of the profile has no effect. I have tried some
ridiculous names and it is not likely that they all are under use by
other software so a conflict or trying to delete a file that is
already in use does not seem to be the explanation.

I have disabled the relevant parts of my McAfee anti-virus software.

I have explored file permissions and changed those of my original
profile to include me as administrator.

I have followed the Datacolor instructions for completely deleting all
traces of Spyder, including removing all profiles associated with my
monitors from the Windows color manager. I then reinstalled Spyder.

I have installed and run Spyder 5 Pro immediately after creating an
entirely new user with administrator privileges and virtually no
startup software.

None of these things have had any effect.

I first encountered this problem in mid June whhen I was still using
Spyder 4 Pro. The problem has continued with Spyder 5 Pro. This
suggests that it arises from a body of code which is common to both
Spyder 4 and Spyder 5. Unfortunately I don't know enough to suggest
what it might be.

I have used Spyder products for many years without any problems,
including Spyder 4. It is likely that the problem arises from a change
made by other software. I have all sorts of software which updates
itself automatically and it is possible that the problem arises from
one of these. The only software I have which might want to take over
part of the color management is iTunes, Adobe CC and Windows.

It is possible that iTunes may have updated in the month before the
problem started, but I don't really know. I don't think it will be
Adobe CC as, as far as I can remember, there had been no updates for
some months until the arrival of CC 2015 about a week ago. Finally,
there is Windows. Windows updates almost very Thursday and sometimes
on days in between. If any outside software is likely to have
triggered this problem, Windows would be my chief suspect.

Finally, there is the Microsoft Community post at
http://tinyurl.com/nsrqlaa. This suggests that I am not alone with
this problem. I was interested to note that the writer was using a
Dell XPS laptop. I am using a Dell XPS 8300 desk top. Is this a
coincidence? I've had no changes or updates as far as I know.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Savageduck

Aug 9, 2015, 1:07:25 AM8/9/15
I am not going to stick my nose into this tent, as you know I am not
running Windows, so my advice would probably be questionable at best.
I have not experienced any issues saving profiles generated using my
now discontinued Pantone hueyPro which still works just fine with the
X-Rite software and OSX 10.10.4. When that fails I might consider a
replacement colorimeter.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Bill W

Aug 9, 2015, 1:20:44 AM8/9/15
Do you have more than one video card installed? You can try disabling
the unused one. Also, you might try disabling any programs in startup
that might use video settings, uninstalling the video card, and then
restarting the computer, which will reinstall the card. And then the
first thing you would do is the monitor calibration again, before any
other programs can lock the profile. And then re-enable anything you
still want in startup.

Savageduck

Aug 9, 2015, 1:42:24 AM8/9/15
There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
management.
Adobe is going to be dependant on your OS profile setting.

>> It is possible that iTunes may have updated in the month before the
>> problem started, but I don't really know. I don't think it will be
>> Adobe CC as, as far as I can remember, there had been no updates for
>> some months until the arrival of CC 2015 about a week ago.

The CC 2015 update was on July 31. Since then there were multiple
issues with PS CC 2015 which were addressed by another fix update on
August 5. Check and see if you have that update installed.

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 5:26:07 AM8/9/15
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:07:20 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>I am not going to stick my nose into this tent, as you know I am not
>running Windows, so my advice would probably be questionable at best.
>I have not experienced any issues saving profiles generated using my
>now discontinued Pantone hueyPro which still works just fine with the
>X-Rite software and OSX 10.10.4. When that fails I might consider a
>replacement colorimeter.

I don't think the problem is anything to do with the colorimeter.
Something new has clashed with the software.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 5:29:19 AM8/9/15
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:42:19 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
>speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
>management.

Dammit. I meant Quicktime.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Savageduck

Aug 9, 2015, 5:39:50 AM8/9/15
On 2015-08-09 09:29:19 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.s...@sum.co.nz> said:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:42:19 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
>> speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
>> management.
>
> Dammit. I meant Quicktime.

Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
is going to handle that for QT.

Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

...and after the July 31 PS update, did you install the PS CC 2015 fix
made available on August 5?

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 5:42:00 AM8/9/15
On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 22:20:39 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Do you have more than one video card installed? You can try disabling
>the unused one. Also, you might try disabling any programs in startup
>that might use video settings, uninstalling the video card, and then
>restarting the computer, which will reinstall the card. And then the
>first thing you would do is the monitor calibration again, before any
>other programs can lock the profile. And then re-enable anything you
>still want in startup.

It has the usual Intel installed on the mother board but on top of
that I have a Radeon 5670. There is nothing that I know of that might
have affected either - except Windows updates. But I will bear your
suggestion in mind.

But I don't think it is anything else locking the profile: not unless
I already have a lot of profiles with crazy names.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Ron Hardin

Aug 9, 2015, 7:58:25 AM8/9/15
Maybe some service has it open. Try in safe mode,
just to limit what starts up.
--
rhha...@mindspring.com

Ron Hardin

Aug 9, 2015, 8:00:00 AM8/9/15
Also Process Explorer I think can tell you who has a file open.

Alan Browne

Aug 9, 2015, 8:39:31 AM8/9/15
On 2015-08-09 05:26, Eric Stevens wrote:

> I don't think the problem is anything to do with the colorimeter.
> Something new has clashed with the software.

Some people often have problems with clashing colours, so no surprise.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/change-color-management-settings

Can't find a Win 10 guide, but the above may lead you into the
appropriate rabbit hole.

Obligatory snide and superior Mac comment follows. If you MS users
don't feel like being humiliated (again) you may stop reading here.

On a Mac you would just open SysPrefs -> display -> color and select the
profile of interest (or calibrate from there). You could also use your
colour calibration widget and its s/w would save the new profile which
in turn would be accessible as above (or set it itself).

Mayayana

Aug 9, 2015, 9:15:24 AM8/9/15
SaveProfileUsingICM
It doesn't help if you spell the function name wrong. :)

I'm not an expert on this, but for what it's worth:

1) It seems to be trying to delete an old copy
and running into a bug in the software.
Maybe a dummy file of the same name would
satisfy that.

2) Could the ICM file be saved elsewhere and then
just copied into the folder?

3) Presumably you have a 64-bit version of the
software? 32-bit that's 64-bit-unaware might
try to save to System32 and fail. (Against all
common sense, System32 is the 64-bit folder
on Win64.)

4) If you think permissions are the issue you can
"take ownership" of the folder and then give
yourself permission. And/or start the program
with elevated permissions. (right click option)

"net user administrator /active:yes" only makes
the real admin account visible at boot. You would
then need to log in with that account to be a real
admin.
I quickly got fed up with that convoluted nonsense
when I started to work with Win7 and ended up
writing a simple program to *really* free up any
file/folder:
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/nt6fix.php5#restfix

It's free. You're welcome to it. If you're queasy about
3rd-party software look up CACLS and Takeown. Those
are command line options that can do the same thing
my software does -- just with more work. I *think*
the same can be done manually but the restrictions
mess is so convoluted I've never been able to quite
figure that out for certain.

I wonder about permissions if the software used to
work. On the other hand, if you're enabling Windows
Update without carefully checking exactly what each
patch is doing then all bets are off.

It seems very odd that the people writing the software
have no ideas, but that may be a case for a 3rd-party
factor. Those things can be very hard to track down
because they're unexpected by nature. Though I suppose
you could try killing any process related to Adobe, printer,
etc before you do the operation. That wouldn't hurt.

Ron Hardin's idea of Process Explorer (sysinternals.com)
is good in general, though if you're trying to write a
file that doesn't exist it can hardly be locked by another
process.

android

Aug 9, 2015, 10:30:41 AM8/9/15
In article <hc2dnR9Af-xj1FrI...@giganews.com>,
If you'r "savy" and have unsupported hardware then:

http://www.argyllcms.com/ + http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/
--
teleportation kills

PeterN

Aug 9, 2015, 11:44:48 AM8/9/15
On 8/9/2015 5:39 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip>
<.

> Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

Why would he want to do that. Polite ones are easier to get along with.

--
PeterN
time flies like an arrow

Savageduck

Aug 9, 2015, 12:00:54 PM8/9/15
On 2015-08-09 15:44:08 +0000, PeterN <pete...@verizon.net> said:

> On 8/9/2015 5:39 AM, Savageduck wrote:
>
> snip>
> <.
>>
>> Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?
>
> Why would he want to do that. Polite ones are easier to get along with.

Sigh!

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 5:25:03 PM8/9/15
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 02:39:45 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2015-08-09 09:29:19 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.s...@sum.co.nz> said:
>
>> On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:42:19 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
>>> speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
>>> management.
>>
>> Dammit. I meant Quicktime.
>
>Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
>is going to handle that for QT.

I don't know whether it does or not. But it does handle images.

>Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

Nope.

>...and after the July 31 PS update, did you install the PS CC 2015 fix
>made available on August 5?

Yes. But my problems started before July 31 and have continued to this
day.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 5:29:48 PM8/9/15
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 08:39:26 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan....@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>On 2015-08-09 05:26, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> I don't think the problem is anything to do with the colorimeter.
>> Something new has clashed with the software.
>
>Some people often have problems with clashing colours, so no surprise.
>
>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/change-color-management-settings

Nope: it's nothing to do with that. My problem is that the colorimeter
can't now save the profiles that the color management needs to use.

>Can't find a Win 10 guide, but the above may lead you into the
>appropriate rabbit hole.

Been there, done that.

>Obligatory snide and superior Mac comment follows. If you MS users
>don't feel like being humiliated (again) you may stop reading here.
>
>On a Mac you would just open SysPrefs -> display -> color and select the
>profile of interest (or calibrate from there). You could also use your
>colour calibration widget and its s/w would save the new profile which
>in turn would be accessible as above (or set it itself).

It's supposed to work more or less like that in Windows also, and it
would if the Spyder was able to save it's newly generated profile.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 5:32:25 PM8/9/15
On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 07:59:57 -0400, Ron Hardin
<rhha...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Ron Hardin wrote:
>>
>> Maybe some service has it open. Try in safe mode,
>> just to limit what starts up.
>> --
>> rhha...@mindspring.com
>>
>> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
>
>Also Process Explorer I think can tell you who has a file open.

That's a thought. I will have a try.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

nospam

Aug 9, 2015, 5:36:16 PM8/9/15
In article <16hfsah7ib72sju66...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> Dammit. I meant Quicktime.
> >
> >Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
> >is going to handle that for QT.
>
> I don't know whether it does or not. But it does handle images.

everything in os x is colour managed, right down to finder icons.

Alan Browne

Aug 9, 2015, 5:40:22 PM8/9/15
On 2015-08-09 17:29, Eric Stevens wrote:
> It's supposed to work more or less like that in Windows also, and it
> would if the Spyder was able to save it's newly generated profile.

Have you contacted the Spyder people?

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 5:53:39 PM8/9/15
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 09:17:15 -0400, "Mayayana"
<maya...@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>SaveProfileUsingICM
>It doesn't help if you spell the function name wrong. :)

I agree, it doesn't. My apologies. My only excuse is that it was
written in fine grey text on a charcoal background.

> I'm not an expert on this, but for what it's worth:
>
>1) It seems to be trying to delete an old copy
>and running into a bug in the software.
>Maybe a dummy file of the same name would
>satisfy that.

When all this started it was trying to delete an existing copy of
Dell U2410-1.icm but no success. I tried renaming the profile it was
trying to save to (say) Fred.icm and had no success with that either.

>2) Could the ICM file be saved elsewhere and then
>just copied into the folder?

I've got no access to or control over the software which determines
where it is trying to save(
C:\Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color\...

>3) Presumably you have a 64-bit version of the
>software? 32-bit that's 64-bit-unaware might
>try to save to System32 and fail. (Against all
>common sense, System32 is the 64-bit folder
>on Win64.)

I've been running Spyder 4 (where the problem started) on 64 bit
Windows for years with no problem.

>4) If you think permissions are the issue you can
>"take ownership" of the folder and then give
>yourself permission. And/or start the program
>with elevated permissions. (right click option)

I've done all that.

> "net user administrator /active:yes" only makes
>the real admin account visible at boot. You would
>then need to log in with that account to be a real
>admin.

Understood. Administrator under Windows 7 is not a fully empowered
Administrator unless you do as above.

> I quickly got fed up with that convoluted nonsense
>when I started to work with Win7 and ended up
>writing a simple program to *really* free up any
>file/folder:
> http://www.jsware.net/jsware/nt6fix.php5#restfix

THat's interesting and useful, but I shouldn't have to resort to that.
I'll hold off for the time being.

> It's free. You're welcome to it. If you're queasy about
>3rd-party software look up CACLS and Takeown. Those
>are command line options that can do the same thing
>my software does -- just with more work. I *think*
>the same can be done manually but the restrictions
>mess is so convoluted I've never been able to quite
>figure that out for certain.

Then there are the 'special' permissions, some of which are weird.

> I wonder about permissions if the software used to
>work. On the other hand, if you're enabling Windows
>Update without carefully checking exactly what each
>patch is doing then all bets are off.

The information provided by Microsoft is usually obscurely brief.

> It seems very odd that the people writing the software
>have no ideas, but that may be a case for a 3rd-party
>factor. Those things can be very hard to track down
>because they're unexpected by nature. Though I suppose
>you could try killing any process related to Adobe, printer,
>etc before you do the operation. That wouldn't hurt.

I'm just about at that stage. A problem is that running a calibration
to get a file to save takes several minutes so the cycle is slow.

> Ron Hardin's idea of Process Explorer (sysinternals.com)
>is good in general, though if you're trying to write a
>file that doesn't exist it can hardly be locked by another
>process.

I haven't tried yet and right now I have to go out and pick up my
chain saw. :-)
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Savageduck

Aug 9, 2015, 6:08:28 PM8/9/15
On 2015-08-09 21:25:02 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.s...@sum.co.nz> said:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 02:39:45 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-09 09:29:19 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.s...@sum.co.nz> said:

>>> Dammit. I meant Quicktime.
>>
>> Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
>> is going to handle that for QT.
>
> I don't know whether it does or not. But it does handle images.

It doesn't, and just as with PS or LR display/monitor color management
still rests with the OS, not the applications. You don't install
display/monitor profiles in any application. Your OS applies the
calibration to the display.

Your issue is that for some reason you are unable to save the
calibration profiles you have created. At least that is what I get from
what you have told us. That makes me think the issue lies with either
your current OS installation or the calibration software, or both.

>> Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?
>
> Nope.

OK!

>> ...and after the July 31 PS update, did you install the PS CC 2015 fix
>> made available on August 5?
>
> Yes. But my problems started before July 31 and have continued to this
> day.

I guess that rules out Adobe then.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Eric Stevens

Aug 9, 2015, 9:54:37 PM8/9/15
Oh yes. I seem to have gone up several steps in the technical
competence of my contacts in my discussions. Right now they are either
enjoying the weekend or trying to work out what to do next.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 10, 2015, 12:58:35 AM8/10/15
On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 07:58:18 -0400, Ron Hardin
<rhha...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Maybe some service has it open. Try in safe mode,
>just to limit what starts up.

I tried that but Spyder won't run in safe mode. It can't find any
monitors so shuts down.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Mayayana

Aug 10, 2015, 9:20:22 AM8/10/15
| >2) Could the ICM file be saved elsewhere and then
| >just copied into the folder?
|
| I've got no access to or control over the software which determines
| where it is trying to save(
| C:\Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color\...

This is a longshot, but I wonder about moving
out the other ICMs temporarily. Also maybe
look for a config file or settings. It's possible the
software is operating on its own erroneous info.
(This is really grasping at straws, but I'm thinking
something like a recorded value indicating that it
needs to replace the Dell ICM. It seems reasonable
to suspect a bug in the logic of the software.)

Another possibility, after backing up ICMs,
might be to try FileAssassin to unlock the files
without deleting them. I've had good luck with
it for getting rid of weird locks, like where I
accidentally click two things almost simultaneously
and end up with a file I can't delete. FA is mainly
for deleting such stuck files, but it can also be
used to unlock without deleting. (If you have an ICM
that won't move that might be a sign of a faulty
file lock.)

https://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin/

PeterN

Aug 10, 2015, 11:45:07 AM8/10/15
I know this sounds crazy, but earlier up the thread you mentioned that
you had two graphics cards. Is there some way of disabling the on board
card, or changing the priority? I wonder if they are fighting each other.

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 10, 2015, 12:03:18 PM8/10/15
In article <mqags...@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<pete...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> Have you contacted the Spyder people?
> >
> > Oh yes. I seem to have gone up several steps in the technical
> > competence of my contacts in my discussions. Right now they are either
> > enjoying the weekend or trying to work out what to do next.
> >

> I know this sounds crazy, but earlier up the thread you mentioned that
> you had two graphics cards. Is there some way of disabling the on board
> card, or changing the priority? I wonder if they are fighting each other.

spyder has handled multiple displays since a very long time ago.

PeterN

Aug 10, 2015, 1:34:17 PM8/10/15
And that has what to do with graphics card conflict?

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 10, 2015, 1:39:42 PM8/10/15
In article <mqan9...@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<pete...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> I know this sounds crazy, but earlier up the thread you mentioned that
> >> you had two graphics cards. Is there some way of disabling the on board
> >> card, or changing the priority? I wonder if they are fighting each other.
> >
> > spyder has handled multiple displays since a very long time ago.
> >

> And that has what to do with graphics card conflict?

seriously?

spyder handles more than one display. that means it handles more than
one graphics card.

Alan Browne

Aug 10, 2015, 1:51:25 PM8/10/15
Single cards often drive multiple displays with separate profiles for
each display. Such is the case here.

PeterN

Aug 10, 2015, 2:30:38 PM8/10/15
Your statement doesn't mean that there cannot be a driver, or priority
conflict,

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 10, 2015, 2:32:07 PM8/10/15
In article <mqaqi...@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<pete...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> And that has what to do with graphics card conflict?
> >
> > seriously?
> >
> > spyder handles more than one display. that means it handles more than
> > one graphics card.
> >

> Your statement doesn't mean that there cannot be a driver, or priority
> conflict,

nothing indicates there is.

if there was a driver issue, then there would be a lot more going on
than just spyder.

PeterN

Aug 10, 2015, 2:42:38 PM8/10/15
It's up to the OP to decide if my comment is helpful. I must admit I
don't have you ability to diagnose issues on unseen computers.

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 10, 2015, 3:47:48 PM8/10/15
In article <mqar9...@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
i didn't diagnose the issue. i never said i know what's wrong.

however, i did discount *your* diagnosis, something i can do because it
makes no sense and because i'm very familiar with how spyder works and
who wrote their software.

PeterN

Aug 10, 2015, 5:14:40 PM8/10/15
I made no diagnosis. Just a suggestion, which could have been tested in
less time than you took to write your bullshit

--
PeterN

Eric Stevens

Aug 10, 2015, 9:14:33 PM8/10/15
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:44:22 -0400, PeterN <pete...@verizon.net>
wrote:
I have two monitors and but one card which supports both. As far as
the software is concerned its all one great big screen. See
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/2%20Screen%20Size.jpg
It also knows which screen is which, so I don't think that's the
problem.

Your question gives me some ideas. I will let you know if they come to
anything.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 10, 2015, 11:50:21 PM8/10/15
rOn Tue, 11 Aug 2015 13:14:27 +1200, Eric Stevens
No, it's not the two profiles interfering.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 11, 2015, 12:30:13 AM8/11/15
Have you tried these things:
http://www.techproceed.com/2014/05/how-to-delete-undeletable-or-locked-file.html

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 16:46:37 +1200, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> [...]
>part of the color management is iTunes, Adobe CC and Windows.
>
>It is possible that iTunes may have updated in the month before the
>problem started, but I don't really know. I don't think it will be
>Adobe CC as, as far as I can remember, there had been no updates for
>some months until the arrival of CC 2015 about a week ago. Finally,
>there is Windows. Windows updates almost very Thursday and sometimes
>on days in between. If any outside software is likely to have
>triggered this problem, Windows would be my chief suspect.
>
>Finally, there is the Microsoft Community post at
>http://tinyurl.com/nsrqlaa. This suggests that I am not alone with
>this problem. I was interested to note that the writer was using a
>Dell XPS laptop. I am using a Dell XPS 8300 desk top. Is this a
>coincidence? I've had no changes or updates as far as I know.

Eric Stevens

Aug 11, 2015, 12:46:25 AM8/11/15
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:30:08 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
wrote:
No, I haven't needed to. I've deleted the file myself (and it hasn't
solved my problem). It's just that Spyder says that it's attempt has
failed. I don't know enough about SaveProfileUsingICM etc to know what
else can cause it to fail.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 11, 2015, 1:04:38 AM8/11/15
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:46:23 +1200, Eric Stevens
I thought you had said it wouldn't delete - my mistake. Anyway,
SaveProfileUsingCM.DeleteFile appears to be a Spyder command, and
Googling it gets almost nothing, so it's a very unusual problem.
Spyder has the source code, so you'd think they could figure it out.
But they haven't so far, so as others have said, there must be another
running process or application in conflict. I think msconfig still
works in Win 7 (if not, use task manager), so you can go into the
startup area, and temporarily kill everything that might be related.
Just re-enable everything later. In fact, you might find lots of
annoying stuff you don't want automatically starting anyway. It's
always good to look in there.

Eric Stevens

Aug 11, 2015, 5:34:23 AM8/11/15
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 22:04:27 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
Good idea.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

PeterN

Aug 11, 2015, 10:26:19 AM8/11/15
HIH

--
PeterN

PeterN

Aug 11, 2015, 10:27:20 AM8/11/15
:-(

--
PeterN

Eric Stevens

Aug 12, 2015, 12:02:23 AM8/12/15
wrote:

>I thought you had said it wouldn't delete - my mistake. Anyway,
>SaveProfileUsingCM.DeleteFile appears to be a Spyder command, and
>Googling it gets almost nothing, so it's a very unusual problem.
>Spyder has the source code, so you'd think they could figure it out.
>But they haven't so far, so as others have said, there must be another
>running process or application in conflict. I think msconfig still
>works in Win 7 (if not, use task manager), so you can go into the
>startup area, and temporarily kill everything that might be related.
>Just re-enable everything later. In fact, you might find lots of
>annoying stuff you don't want automatically starting anyway. It's
>always good to look in there.

Today I have tried running Spyder with all startup items disabled,
apart from the Catalyst Control Center which manages my graphic card.
I still could not save a profile.

I renabled startup items and then shut down all non-Microsoft
services. After rebooting and running a new calibration I found I
still could not save a profile.

At one stage I was poking around with Process Explorer and found that
while Spyder was running a calibration there was a file
C:\Users\Eric Stevens\Appdata\local\temp\Spyder3. I don't know what
the use of Spyder3 means in the midst of Spyder 5 but I thought it
might mean that old code has been reused.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

android

Aug 12, 2015, 1:57:38 AM8/12/15
In article <77hlsaluupefnh3fa...@4ax.com>,
Then you get that Mac you can just go to System Preferences from the
Apple menu and chose Displays and Colour. You can also find the user
installed profiles from the command line:
ls Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ICCProfiles

HTH... ;-p
--
teleportation kills

Bill W

Aug 12, 2015, 3:54:25 AM8/12/15
I just looked in explorer, and Spyder apparently uninstalls all
previous version when you upgrade. I have only Spyder 4 installed. If
Spyder 3 remained on your computer when you upgraded, that might be
your problem. Take a look and see if you have previous versions
remaining. If you do, you might want to uninstall them, but you might
want to check with Datacolor first. At the same time, I guess you
could uninstall all of the versions, and then reinstall your latest
one. There might be something odd going on in the registry if old
versions failed to uninstall.

I also just looked in my appdata/local directory, and there is neither
a temp folder, nor any reference to earlier versions. I then searched
the registry, and there are again no references to earlier versions.
You can search for either "datacolor" or "spyder" if you want to do
the same search.

Eric Stevens

Aug 12, 2015, 4:51:59 AM8/12/15
I can do much the same thing in Windows. But that doesn't have much to
do with my present problem.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 12, 2015, 4:54:52 AM8/12/15
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 00:54:18 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
I think I'm getting down to a depth where Datacolor should enter the
play.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 12, 2015, 11:42:19 AM8/12/15
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 20:54:50 +1200, Eric Stevens
Likely enough, but I would still search the Datacolor directory first,
and the registry. You obviously don't want to change anything in the
registry - just single click on the very top entry on the left, hit
Ctrl-F, type in Spyder, hit enter, then hit F3 after if finds each
entry. If you see anything but Spyder5 anywhere, make a note of where.
You can also try Programs and settings in Control Panel. Look in the
list of programs for all Spyder entries. Mine, again, shows only
Spyder 4 available for uninstall. If you see any others, it shouldn't
hurt anything to try to uninstall them, and you could do the latest
one at the same time, and then start over.

Anyway, I'd look around first - the simplest place to start would be
in File Explorer, and then contact Datacolor if you can't uninstall
any older versions you find.

Eric Stevens

Aug 12, 2015, 5:14:47 PM8/12/15
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:42:13 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
I've already cleaned out anything but Spyder 5.

The ... local\temp\spyder3 seems to be created during the scan process
and deleted at its end.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 12, 2015, 5:26:46 PM8/12/15
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:14:45 +1200, Eric Stevens
By using uninstall, or by deleting files and folders? If you just
deleted stuff, there will be things left behind in the registry.

>The ... local\temp\spyder3 seems to be created during the scan process
>and deleted at its end.

It's possible that's normal, but only Datacolor would know. That might
be information they need to help fix the issue.

Eric Stevens

Aug 12, 2015, 6:04:55 PM8/12/15
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:26:39 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
I've done it several ways on several occasions. Between them I'm
fairly confident I have got the lot. On some occasions I have used the
uninstaller and then chased around manually looking for Spyder files
or folders. Other times I have used Revo uninstaller which does a
conventional uninstall, then chases roud for left over files and then
purges the registry.

>>The ... local\temp\spyder3 seems to be created during the scan process
>>and deleted at its end.
>
>It's possible that's normal, but only Datacolor would know. That might
>be information they need to help fix the issue.

There has been only silence since I told them that. :-)
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 20, 2015, 6:04:10 PM8/20/15
BREAKING NEWS: I've made my way further up the DataColor help-desk
tree and I have just been told by a more senior member that the new
Spyder 5 is not compatible with Windows XP. He has not yet explained
why.

I have told him that after more than a year of working satisfactorily
Spyder 4 suddenly started having the same problem in June this year.

I have asked him whether this problem extends to Windows 10. It will
be interesting to hear his answer.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

PeterN

Aug 21, 2015, 8:56:58 AM8/21/15
On 8/20/2015 6:04 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

<snip>

> BREAKING NEWS: I've made my way further up the DataColor help-desk
> tree and I have just been told by a more senior member that the new
> Spyder 5 is not compatible with Windows XP. He has not yet explained
> why.

I ran into a compatibility issue with OnOne. I upgraded from version 9.0
to 9'5 and it stopped working. It appears that 9'5 is not compatible
with my the graphics card on my laptop, although all prior versions
were. My laptop is only three years old.
I don't know if that is just OnOne error, or if something else is going on.

> I have told him that after more than a year of working satisfactorily
> Spyder 4 suddenly started having the same problem in June this year.
>
> I have asked him whether this problem extends to Windows 10. It will
> be interesting to hear his answer.

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 21, 2015, 12:32:19 PM8/21/15
In article <hdjcta9nq2gs3dpc5...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> BREAKING NEWS: I've made my way further up the DataColor help-desk
> tree and I have just been told by a more senior member that the new
> Spyder 5 is not compatible with Windows XP. He has not yet explained
> why.

because xp is history (and dangerous to run).

it's no longer supported by microsoft, so why should anyone else bother
supporting it?

time to move on.

> I have told him that after more than a year of working satisfactorily
> Spyder 4 suddenly started having the same problem in June this year.
>
> I have asked him whether this problem extends to Windows 10. It will
> be interesting to hear his answer.

their current products need to work properly in windows 10.

whether their older products work in win10 is not guaranteed. they
might update the software or they might not.

Eric Stevens

Aug 21, 2015, 7:01:48 PM8/21/15
OOPS!

OOPS!!

BREAKING NEWS: I've made my way further up the DataColor help-desk
tree and I have just been told by a more senior member that the new
Spyder 5 is not compatible with Windows ***7***. He has not yet
explained why.

I have told him that after more than a year of working satisfactorily
Spyder 4 suddenly started having the same problem in June this year.

I have asked him whether this problem extends to Windows 10. It will
be interesting to hear his answer.

He assures me it will run on Windows 10. So here goes ...
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

nospam

Aug 21, 2015, 7:24:12 PM8/21/15
In article <h8bftalak9osmnmmp...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> BREAKING NEWS: I've made my way further up the DataColor help-desk
> tree and I have just been told by a more senior member that the new
> Spyder 5 is not compatible with Windows ***7***. He has not yet
> explained why.

that can't be true.

windows 7 is currently the dominant windows version.

it would be incredibly stupid for it to not work on win7.

Eric Stevens

Aug 22, 2015, 3:23:29 AM8/22/15
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 19:24:07 -0400, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
It's astonishingly inconvenient.

Maybe its an example of how far you can push things withot being sued.

Right now, I'm doing a backup.

Then I'm going to create a disk image.

Then I will try to install Windows 10.

Wish me luck.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 22, 2015, 5:05:56 AM8/22/15
I need more than luck. Having spent most of a day doing a backup etc I
find that all I have achieved is a place in the queue. At some stage
in the undefined future I will get a notification that my Windows 10
has arrived, by which time I will have to do my backup etc all over
again. :-(
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

David Taylor

Aug 22, 2015, 6:33:15 AM8/22/15
On 22/08/2015 08:23, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
> It's astonishingly inconvenient.
>
> Maybe its an example of how far you can push things withot being sued.
>
> Right now, I'm doing a backup.
>
> Then I'm going to create a disk image.
>
> Then I will try to install Windows 10.
>
> Wish me luck.

Eric,

You might try an upgrade rather than a fresh install.

You don't need to wait, use the Media Creation Tool instead.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

--
Cheers,
David

nospam

Aug 22, 2015, 9:48:00 AM8/22/15
In article <6megtapas7g7h3vjd...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> I need more than luck. Having spent most of a day doing a backup etc I
> find that all I have achieved is a place in the queue. At some stage
> in the undefined future I will get a notification that my Windows 10
> has arrived, by which time I will have to do my backup etc all over
> again. :-(

or just download the iso from microsoft.

nospam

Aug 22, 2015, 9:48:00 AM8/22/15
In article <9n8gtapdkl0j4jb0q...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> BREAKING NEWS: I've made my way further up the DataColor help-desk
> >> tree and I have just been told by a more senior member that the new
> >> Spyder 5 is not compatible with Windows ***7***. He has not yet
> >> explained why.
> >
> >that can't be true.
> >
> >windows 7 is currently the dominant windows version.
> >
> >it would be incredibly stupid for it to not work on win7.
>
> It's astonishingly inconvenient.

it's also astonishingly wrong.

click on the system requirements tab for whichever version you have
(not that it matters since they're all the same):

<http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5express/>
<http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5elite/>
<http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5pro/>
Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8.0, 8.1 32/64, Windows 10 32/64
Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10

> Maybe its an example of how far you can push things withot being sued.

there is no basis for a lawsuit here either.

if a company wants to make something win10 or later or win8 or later,
that's their choice. it might be very dumb, but it's completely legal.

PeterN

Aug 22, 2015, 11:06:22 AM8/22/15
Once more you demonstrate how narrow you are. If a publicly held company
makes incredibly stupid decisions, a shareholders derivative lawsuit
against management and the directors, might very well succeed.

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 22, 2015, 11:16:18 AM8/22/15
In article <mra34...@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<pete...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> Maybe its an example of how far you can push things withot being sued.
> >
> > there is no basis for a lawsuit here either.
> >
> > if a company wants to make something win10 or later or win8 or later,
> > that's their choice. it might be very dumb, but it's completely legal.
>
> Once more you demonstrate how narrow you are. If a publicly held company
> makes incredibly stupid decisions, a shareholders derivative lawsuit
> against management and the directors, might very well succeed.

once again, you demonstrate how much you argue just to argue and how
far you move goalposts.

datacolor is a privately held company. they can do whatever the hell
they want and neither you nor anyone else has to approve.

PeterN

Aug 22, 2015, 2:01:59 PM8/22/15
Except their trade and banking creditors.

--
PeterN

PeterN

Aug 22, 2015, 2:06:07 PM8/22/15
And I forgot to add, possible investment bankers, if they plan a future
private or public financing.

--
PeterN

Eric Stevens

Aug 22, 2015, 5:57:22 PM8/22/15
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 09:47:53 -0400, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
I wasn't aware that this was possible. Thank you.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 22, 2015, 6:08:10 PM8/22/15
wrote:

>> >that can't be true.
>> >
>> >windows 7 is currently the dominant windows version.
>> >
>> >it would be incredibly stupid for it to not work on win7.
>>
>> It's astonishingly inconvenient.
>
>it's also astonishingly wrong.
>
>click on the system requirements tab for whichever version you have
>(not that it matters since they're all the same):
>
><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5express/>
><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5elite/>
><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5pro/>
> Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8.0, 8.1 32/64, Windows 10 32/64
> Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10

That was true until a few weeks ago. The non-performance of the file
management software has obviously caught the 'help' staff by surprise.
It affects both Spyder 4 and Spyder 5 and I suspect it will also
affect Spyder 3.

>> Maybe its an example of how far you can push things withot being sued.
>
>there is no basis for a lawsuit here either.

Until you know what changes have been made and why, you have no basis
for saying that.

>if a company wants to make something win10 or later or win8 or later,
>that's their choice. it might be very dumb, but it's completely legal.

I suspect you are attributing the problem to DataColor. In fact, I
strongly suspect they are using well established code and the problem
arises from something that Microsoft has done.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 22, 2015, 6:09:02 PM8/22/15
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:16:15 -0400, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
I don't think this is Datacolor's fault.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 22, 2015, 11:05:52 PM8/22/15
MORE BREAKING NEWS: Installing Windows 10 has made little significant
difference to the behaviour of Spyder on my machine.

There is a difference: whereas before the error was
SaveFileUsingICM.DeleteFile failed [... it is now
SaveProfileUsingICM.InstallColorProfile failed [....

Aah - The march of science. :-(

I've think I've gone as far as I can with this one. It soon will be
time for me to change screen calibrating hardware.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

PeterN

Aug 23, 2015, 10:17:02 AM8/23/15
Probably true. But somebody here made a general statement that is, to
say the least, inaccurate, and one that clearly applies to all
companies. applies to all privately held companies.

--
PeterN

PeterN

Aug 23, 2015, 10:20:02 AM8/23/15
I suspect that Datacolor will try to correct the issue. At my last
calibration, before the monitor died, I used Spyder for color correction.

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 23, 2015, 10:34:29 AM8/23/15
In article <9odita1o28h7va954...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >He assures me it will run on Windows 10. So here goes ...
>
> MORE BREAKING NEWS: Installing Windows 10 has made little significant
> difference to the behaviour of Spyder on my machine.

no surprise there, especially since whomever you talked to doesn't know
that it's supported on win7.

nospam

Aug 23, 2015, 10:34:30 AM8/23/15
In article <umshtapil6lt1l3q6...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> I don't think this is Datacolor's fault.

it doesn't matter whose fault it is.

if there's an actual problem with the app (and not just your system),
then it will get fixed, most likely by datacolor since microsoft isn't
likely to change anything.

if it only happens on your system, then there's nothing for either
company to fix.

nospam

Aug 23, 2015, 10:34:31 AM8/23/15
In article <3cshta1anqotusnip...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >click on the system requirements tab for whichever version you have
> >(not that it matters since they're all the same):
> >
> ><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5express/>
> ><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5elite/>
> ><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5pro/>
> > Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8.0, 8.1 32/64, Windows 10 32/64
> > Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10
>
> That was true until a few weeks ago.

what changed?

> The non-performance of the file
> management software has obviously caught the 'help' staff by surprise.
> It affects both Spyder 4 and Spyder 5 and I suspect it will also
> affect Spyder 3.

that sounds like a bug which will be fixed, unless it's something
specific to your system which they can't reproduce.

bugs are not the same as being incompatible. the specs say it's
compatible with win7 and later, so whoever told you it's not compatible
with win7 is wrong.

nospam

Aug 23, 2015, 10:34:32 AM8/23/15
In article <mradd...@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN
nope. take sigma for an example, a privately held company who loses
money with foveon. they're pouring money down a hole and nobody has
sued them, nor has anyone sued them because they fraudulently
misrepresent the product.

PeterN

Aug 23, 2015, 2:43:02 PM8/23/15
So you would recommend financing a poorly run company.
Yes, sure you would.

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 23, 2015, 3:26:26 PM8/23/15
In article <mrd46...@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<pete...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> Except their trade and banking creditors.
> >
> > nope. take sigma for an example, a privately held company who loses
> > money with foveon. they're pouring money down a hole and nobody has
> > sued them, nor has anyone sued them because they fraudulently
> > misrepresent the product.
>
> So you would recommend financing a poorly run company.
> Yes, sure you would.

more of your bullshit. i never said anything of the sort.

Eric Stevens

Aug 23, 2015, 4:23:28 PM8/23/15
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:34:26 -0400, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
See http://tinyurl.com/nsrqlaa
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 23, 2015, 4:30:31 PM8/23/15
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:34:27 -0400, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <3cshta1anqotusnip...@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
><eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> >click on the system requirements tab for whichever version you have
>> >(not that it matters since they're all the same):
>> >
>> ><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5express/>
>> ><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5elite/>
>> ><http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder5pro/>
>> > Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8.0, 8.1 32/64, Windows 10 32/64
>> > Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10
>>
>> That was true until a few weeks ago.
>
>what changed?

Good question.

>> The non-performance of the file
>> management software has obviously caught the 'help' staff by surprise.
>> It affects both Spyder 4 and Spyder 5 and I suspect it will also
>> affect Spyder 3.
>
>that sounds like a bug which will be fixed, unless it's something
>specific to your system which they can't reproduce.

I know other people have a similar problem.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 23, 2015, 4:33:12 PM8/23/15
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:34:25 -0400, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
That's my mistake. He actually said it will not run on XP. That's
surprising because I installed it on my old XP machine to run a
succesful test for other support staff.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

PeterN

Aug 23, 2015, 4:45:48 PM8/23/15
I see your sarcasm meter is still broken. So I will ask a direct question.

Would you recommend financing a poorly run company. The answer is either
yes or no.

--
PeterN

nospam

Aug 23, 2015, 4:54:16 PM8/23/15
In article <mrdbe...@news6.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<pete...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> So you would recommend financing a poorly run company.
> >> Yes, sure you would.
> >
> > more of your bullshit. i never said anything of the sort.
> >

> I see your sarcasm meter is still broken.

i see your bullshit generator is running at maximum output.

> So I will ask a direct question.
>
> Would you recommend financing a poorly run company. The answer is either
> yes or no.

of course not. what does that have to do with anything?

PeterN

Aug 23, 2015, 5:35:55 PM8/23/15
Your statement put the lie to your prior asinine statement:
">>>>>>> datacolor is a privately held company. they can do whatever the
hell

Of course unless they never need financing, or lines of credit. If you
don't understand that, you are either hopeless or lying.

IOW not even a privatively held company can do whatever it wants. Note:
With most private companies, with the possible exception of some lines
of credit, the owners will be personally responsible for repayment of
financing obligations. A clause to that effect appears in most financing
agreements that I have seen.

--
PeterN

Bill W

Aug 23, 2015, 6:18:15 PM8/23/15
Since the one you cite is from 2012, and there has been no increase in
the reports of this problem, I'm starting to think, too, that it's
your computer. Have you tried mainboard driver updates, and a bios
update? Did you run the Spyder install program as an administrator?
Did you check the permissions for the folder that the software is
trying to save to?

Eric Stevens

Aug 24, 2015, 1:00:11 AM8/24/15
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 15:18:07 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
wrote:
Dell maintains a program of driver updates so, initially, I thought I
was OK there. But now I have discovered the Dell diagnostic and update
software doesn't work and I wonder if the Evil Empire is to blame.

In any case I have gone back to Windows 7 for the time being.

The interesting thing is that Microsoft says my machine is OK for
Windows 10 but Dell says it haas never been checked for suitability d
that some drivers will need updating.

I'm intrigued by the fact that while I can download and install
Windows 10 immediately, Microsoft talks about days or weeks. Maybe
they are gatheering together a package of suitable updates for me
before they give me Windows 10? Who knows? Certainly not me.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 24, 2015, 2:21:49 AM8/24/15
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:00:04 +1200, Eric Stevens
I put 10 on a laptop that wasn't supported for even Win8, and
everything works. I also had put 8.1 on an unsupported computer, and
everything was fine. I'd ignore Dell's comments, and just use 10, and
update everything you can update.

>I'm intrigued by the fact that while I can download and install
>Windows 10 immediately, Microsoft talks about days or weeks. Maybe
>they are gatheering together a package of suitable updates for me
>before they give me Windows 10? Who knows? Certainly not me.

I believe it's all the same. What you downloaded is what MS would send
to you in time. In fact, now that it's installed, MS might never
notify you.

You should be able to go to Dell's website and get any available
updates manually.

Funny thing, too, I updated 2 of 3 computers to 10, but the last one
is the first one I put on the "notify me" list, and it's not ready
yet. I'm too lazy to download the file myself.

PeterN

Aug 24, 2015, 11:11:47 AM8/24/15
On 8/24/2015 2:21 AM, Bill W wrote:

<snip>

> I believe it's all the same. What you downloaded is what MS would send
> to you in time. In fact, now that it's installed, MS might never
> notify you.
>
> You should be able to go to Dell's website and get any available
> updates manually.
>
> Funny thing, too, I updated 2 of 3 computers to 10, but the last one
> is the first one I put on the "notify me" list, and it's not ready
> yet. I'm too lazy to download the file myself.

In the past, MS had a policy of users going to the OEM for support
issues, allegedly because the OEMs made modifications to the O/S. I have
not run into that recently. I have not seen MS raise that issue since
Win7.

--
PeterN

Eric Stevens

Aug 24, 2015, 11:56:30 PM8/24/15
<eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>Dell maintains a program of driver updates so, initially, I thought I
>was OK there. But now I have discovered the Dell diagnostic and update
>software doesn't work and I wonder if the Evil Empire is to blame.

I forgive Bill Gates. I don't think it's him. Whatever has happened
turned off file scanning in McAfee and refused to let me turn it back
on. I had to completely uninstall and then reinstall before McAfee
would work properly again.

Instead of relying on Dell I have got stuck in with Driver Detective.
While that found a few out of date drivers, updating them has made no
difference to my basic problem.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 24, 2015, 11:59:09 PM8/24/15
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 23:21:41 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
I've got one more thing I'm going to laboriously apply and after that
I'm going back to 10 irrespective of whether the problem is fixed or
not.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 25, 2015, 2:42:25 AM8/25/15
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:59:05 +1200, Eric Stevens
All this stuff got me worried, so I did a Spyder 4 calibration, and
everything worked fine. It's something with your computer. Well yours,
and that one other guy.

Bill W

Aug 25, 2015, 2:51:20 AM8/25/15
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:56:24 +1200, Eric Stevens
I'm going to bring up folder permissions again. If you Google this,
there will be examples of what the folder with your calibration file
should look like. If something went awry with a group policy, or
possibly just some folders, that might cause this. You have to drill
pretty far down into the permissions windows to check everything.

And I would still check for at least a bios update on the Dell site,
even if you don't want to check for all mainboard drivers.

Eric Stevens

Aug 25, 2015, 5:11:26 AM8/25/15
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:42:16 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
I agree - but what the hell is it?
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Aug 25, 2015, 5:13:45 AM8/25/15
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:51:12 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:56:24 +1200, Eric Stevens
><eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:00:04 +1200, Eric Stevens
>><eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Dell maintains a program of driver updates so, initially, I thought I
>>>was OK there. But now I have discovered the Dell diagnostic and update
>>>software doesn't work and I wonder if the Evil Empire is to blame.
>>
>>I forgive Bill Gates. I don't think it's him. Whatever has happened
>>turned off file scanning in McAfee and refused to let me turn it back
>>on. I had to completely uninstall and then reinstall before McAfee
>>would work properly again.
>>
>>Instead of relying on Dell I have got stuck in with Driver Detective.
>>While that found a few out of date drivers, updating them has made no
>>difference to my basic problem.
>
>I'm going to bring up folder permissions again. If you Google this,
>there will be examples of what the folder with your calibration file
>should look like. If something went awry with a group policy, or
>possibly just some folders, that might cause this. You have to drill
>pretty far down into the permissions windows to check everything.

Sorry: I should have mentioned this earlier. I went through all this
at the very beginning, to the point where I created new users with the
ability to get at everything.

>And I would still check for at least a bios update on the Dell site,
>even if you don't want to check for all mainboard drivers.

Tomorrow.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 25, 2015, 11:28:36 AM8/25/15
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 21:13:42 +1200, Eric Stevens
That might not be enough. The folder permissions should look like
this: http://i.imgur.com/cI8a6OY.jpg

Go to the folder that holds the .icm file, right click it, and choose
properties. Then to go the security tab, and click "advanced" towards
the lower right. Your list should look the same, except I'm not sure
if Win7 lists "all application packages" as a user. You can double
click any entry to see more details, including more advanced settings,
and effective permissions.

Eric Stevens

Aug 25, 2015, 8:06:53 PM8/25/15
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:28:29 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
Yep. Got there at a very early stage. Did that.

>Go to the folder that holds the .icm file, right click it, and choose
>properties. Then to go the security tab, and click "advanced" towards
>the lower right. Your list should look the same, except I'm not sure
>if Win7 lists "all application packages" as a user. You can double
>click any entry to see more details, including more advanced settings,
>and effective permissions.
>
>>>And I would still check for at least a bios update on the Dell site,
>>>even if you don't want to check for all mainboard drivers.
>>
>>Tomorrow.

Done.

The problem remains. :-(
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 25, 2015, 10:05:46 PM8/25/15
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:06:42 +1200, Eric Stevens
Okay, I think I've become as obsessed with this as you have. I don't
know if you've already tried this, but if not, go to the file location
for the executable, or the shortcut, but not the shortcut in the
taskbar (the one that looks like the Spyder), right click it, and
choose "run as administrator", and try another calibration.

If you ever get this fixed, you need to tell everyone what it was. And
you are NOT allowed to reinstall Windows...

Eric Stevens

Aug 26, 2015, 9:49:40 PM8/26/15
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 19:05:37 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
You have almost hit the nail on the head. When I first set up my
account on this computer I gave myself adnistrator powers. For that
reason I never saw any point in selecting 'Run as Administrator'.
After all, I already was one.

Having had only brief and reluctant contact with Vista I did not
realise that from that point, as far as MS is concerned, there are
administrators, Administrators and ADMINISTRATORS. In order to run
Spyder I had promote myself from administrator to Administrator by
clicking the 'Run as Administrator' option.

Thanks to you, I have now found that 'Run as Administrator' enables me
to save profiles even when working from the shortcut link.

I must say that I remain puzzled. For nearly five years I have
successfuly started Spyder 4 from the shortcut without invoking 'Run
as Administrator' and then, all of a sudden, I have to take that extra
step. I'm not aware that Spyder 4 had changed and in any case I have
not downloaded a newer version as far as I am aware. I still come back
to one of my earliest suspicions: the Evil Empire has changed
something.

My simple misunderstanding of the various grades of administrator have
lead me through awful strife. Here is a summary:

I have tried:

* Right-clicked to select "Run as Administrator". (I have never
invoked the hidden elevated administrator.)
* changing the name of the profile
* creating a new user id with administrator powers
* closing down my antivirus software.
* changing file permissions
* deleting old versions of Spyder
* making a clean install of Spyder 5 Pro
* closing all startup items except my screen's Catalyst control
center (which has not been updated for years).
* shutting down all non-Microsoft services.
* updated all drivers (Driver Detective)
* updated BIOS
* deleting all software installed between 8 May and 16 June 2015
(except MS updates).

None of it made any difference.

I have since installed Windows 10 and while I could not save a profile
I was intrigued to note that the error message from DataColor now is

"SaveProfileUsingICM.InstallColorProfile failed
[C:\Windows\System32\Spool\\drivers\color\D U2410-1.ICM "

This is a different error but I still couldn't save a profile.

But thanks to you, now I can. And I have nice shiny new software to
show for it.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Bill W

Aug 27, 2015, 12:43:19 AM8/27/15
On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 13:49:31 +1200, Eric Stevens
Whew. Well, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one, or the first one,
to bring up the permissions thing, but I don't think the others became
as stupidly obsessed with the matter...

Anyway, if you ever decide to clean up the user accounts/permissions
thing, there's a lot of info on the web, including using the command
line to invoke the super-special-double-secret-administrator account.
Also, as a workaround, you can try this: create a shortcut to the
executable, right click and choose properties, go to the "shortcut"
tab on top, then click on "Advanced", and click the "run as
administrator" box. If that works, it'll save you a couple of steps
each time.

And regarding MS, I do believe their permission issue is a convoluted
mess, but I'm not an IT guy, so what do I know? So I think it might
have been a combination of something else, along with one of their
updates that caused this.

And if you're a nice guy, you can tell Datacolor what you found.

Eric Stevens

Aug 27, 2015, 4:47:12 AM8/27/15
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 21:43:07 -0700, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

--- snip ---

>>I have since installed Windows 10 and while I could not save a profile
>>I was intrigued to note that the error message from DataColor now is
>>
>>"SaveProfileUsingICM.InstallColorProfile failed
>>[C:\Windows\System32\Spool\\drivers\color\D U2410-1.ICM "
>>
>>This is a different error but I still couldn't save a profile.
>>
>>But thanks to you, now I can. And I have nice shiny new software to
>>show for it.
>
>Whew. Well, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one, or the first one,
>to bring up the permissions thing, but I don't think the others became
>as stupidly obsessed with the matter...

It wasn't just an ordinary matter of permissions. I know about those
things. What fooled me was the imprecision of Microsoft English.

I've known about 'Administrator' and associated powers for some 40
years. Although I know I'm not supposed to, I've made a practice of
assuming 'administrator' powers from the outset of my contact with
Windows (Windows 3.0?). When I first started using Windows 7 I wasn't
aware that Microsoft had considerably reduced the power of the
ordinary administrator and stowed the powers that are missing in a
hidden Super Administrator. Fortunately I soon discovered that.

Even less was I aware that Eric Stevens with administrator powers was
a being inferior to the group of Windows Administrators. This last bit
of ignorance was the source of most of my problems. When is an
administrator not an administrator? An administrator is not an
administrator when they are also a user. As I have previously said,
why should you bother running anything as an administrator when you
think you already are.

I encountered a similar bit of Microsoft imprecision in their W7
backup module. Without clarification they use the term 'backup' in
association with Windows Backup and also the making of a disk image.

>Anyway, if you ever decide to clean up the user accounts/permissions
>thing, there's a lot of info on the web, including using the command
>line to invoke the super-special-double-secret-administrator account.
>Also, as a workaround, you can try this: create a shortcut to the
>executable, right click and choose properties, go to the "shortcut"
>tab on top, then click on "Advanced", and click the "run as
>administrator" box. If that works, it'll save you a couple of steps
>each time.
>
>And regarding MS, I do believe their permission issue is a convoluted
>mess, but I'm not an IT guy, so what do I know? So I think it might
>have been a combination of something else, along with one of their
>updates that caused this.

I'm now quite convinced that it was an update which precipitated all
this.

>And if you're a nice guy, you can tell Datacolor what you found.

I'm already a nice guy: I've told three of them.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens