More horror from the "Cloud." Qualcomm shuts down streaming radio service

RichA

Sep 15, 2021, 11:49:37 AM9/15/21
Which means thousands of streaming radio gear are now paperweights. Unless someone else steps in. First time I've seen hardware actually killed by
a cloud service.

https://techguylabs.com/episodes/1774/reciva-gone-will-my-wifi-radio-stop-working

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/headlines/reciva-internet-radio-platform-shutting-down

nospam

Sep 15, 2021, 12:06:27 PM9/15/21
In article <505692ee-f0a6-406e...@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which means thousands of streaming radio gear are now paperweights. Unless
> someone else steps in.

too few people used it to be profitable. very simple.

people stream audio on their phone or computer, not an 'internet
radio', which was a stupid idea from the start.

> First time I've seen hardware actually killed by
> a cloud service.

it's not the first nor will it be the last.

RichA

Sep 16, 2021, 10:23:38 AM9/16/21
One of the radio makers, Grace, offered "discounts" on a new radio tied to a new service as compensation for the fact their (and other) radios are now bricks.
More than Qualcomm did.

Mountain Magpie

Sep 16, 2021, 4:35:29 PM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 07:23:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-
So no internet radio at all?

nospam

Sep 16, 2021, 4:39:21 PM9/16/21
In article <iqho4c...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
<Le...@blue.mountains.org> wrote:

> So no internet radio at all?

that's what phones, computers and smart speakers are for.

Mountain Magpie

Sep 16, 2021, 5:01:35 PM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:39:15 -0400, nospam posted:-
Have some old radio gear with Internet Radio (must admit I haven't tried
it for a while), FM, and DAB+

nospam

Sep 16, 2021, 5:08:11 PM9/16/21
In article <iqhpl9...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
<Le...@blue.mountains.org> wrote:

> > > So no internet radio at all?
> >
> > that's what phones, computers and smart speakers are for.
>
> Have some old radio gear with Internet Radio (must admit I haven't tried
> it for a while), FM, and DAB+

an internet radio is one of the dumbest ideas. it's not at all
surprising to see it fail.

terrestrial radio is also doomed although that will be a slow decline.

a smartphone, computer or smart speaker can stream radio stations from
anywhere in the world, not just nearby, along with spotify and similar
services, podcasts and much more.

Mountain Magpie

Sep 16, 2021, 5:17:26 PM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:08:06 -0400, nospam posted:-

> a smartphone, computer or smart speaker can stream radio stations from
> anywhere in the world, not just nearby, along with spotify and similar
> services, podcasts and much more.

Provided you have an Internet connection of course?

geoff

Sep 16, 2021, 6:02:20 PM9/16/21
How long until free, or next to free, cloud storage is discovered to be
a loss-maker ?

geoff

RJH

Sep 16, 2021, 6:03:53 PM9/16/21
On 16 Sep 2021 at 22:08:06 BST, "nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> that's what phones, computers and smart speakers are for.
>>
>> Have some old radio gear with Internet Radio (must admit I haven't tried
>> it for a while), FM, and DAB+
>
> an internet radio is one of the dumbest ideas. it's not at all
> surprising to see it fail.

The OP's post referred to one of those subscription services - not 'internet
radio' IIUC.

My Roberts 83i radio has Love - an internet based subscription service that
was pretty rubbish and folded soon after I bought the radio. I did write to
Robertsand ask if they could reallocate the button through firmware but they
weren't interested. The radio still functions as a DAB/bluetooth/music
server/interent radio though - so it's not exactly a paperweight. The
dedicated Love button looks pretty stupid.

I think internet radio's a good idea, but hardly likely to be mainstream. I
very occasionally use it to access my local radio station when I'm away - it's
only internet or FM (Sheffield Live).

> terrestrial radio is also doomed although that will be a slow decline.

A prediction long in the tooth. FM could easily last 20 years - DAB much
longer.

> a smartphone, computer or smart speaker can stream radio stations from
> anywhere in the world, not just nearby, along with spotify and similar
> services, podcasts and much more.

I'd imagine it costs very ittle to bolt internet radio onto a tabletop DAB etc
radio. My radio was the last to offer proprietary radio service - and just as
well, good riddance. But the latest model does still have internet radio.
--
Cheers, Rob

nospam

Sep 16, 2021, 6:34:39 PM9/16/21
In article <iqhqiv...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
<Le...@blue.mountains.org> wrote:

> > a smartphone, computer or smart speaker can stream radio stations from
> > anywhere in the world, not just nearby, along with spotify and similar
> > services, podcasts and much more.
>
> Provided you have an Internet connection of course?

yep, just as terrestrial radio needs a nearby transmitter.

keep in mind that there is internet in places where radio can't be
received, such as inside steel/concrete buildings, tunnels, desolate
highways through the middle of nowhere, etc.

nospam

Sep 16, 2021, 6:34:40 PM9/16/21
In article <AqCdnU3FwoV_I978...@giganews.com>, geoff
<ge...@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote:

> How long until free, or next to free, cloud storage is discovered to be
> a loss-maker ?

welcome to at least 20 years ago.

nospam

Sep 16, 2021, 6:34:42 PM9/16/21
In article <si0evv$4ar$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patch...@gmx.com>
wrote:

> I think internet radio's a good idea, but hardly likely to be mainstream. I
> very occasionally use it to access my local radio station when I'm away - it's
> only internet or FM (Sheffield Live).

don't confuse internet radio the service, aka streaming, with a box
called an internet radio that connects to such services.

internet streaming is a great idea and is part of what's fueling the
demise of legacy terrestrial radio.

a box called an internet 'radio', which connects to such services, is a
bad idea because it will soon become a doorstop unless there is a way
to update its station list *and* the audio protocols used as they
change, and usually there is not.

devices that do offer that ability are computers, phones and smart
speakers.

> > terrestrial radio is also doomed although that will be a slow decline.
> >

> A prediction long in the tooth. FM could easily last 20 years - DAB much
> longer.

that's why i said slow decline.

it's also already happening.

<https://variety.com/2017/music/news/traditional-radio-faces-a-grim-futu
re-new-study-says-1202542681/>
€ Generation Z, which is projected to account for 40% of all
consumers in the U.S. by 2020, shows little interest in traditional
media, including radio, having grown up in an on-demand digital
environment;

€ AM/FM radio is in the midst of a massive drop-off as a
music-discovery tool by younger generations, with self-reported
listening to AM/FM radio among teens aged 13 and up declining by
almost 50 percentage points between 2005 and 2016. Music discovery
as a whole is moving away from AM/FM radio and toward YouTube,
Spotify and Pandora, especially among younger listeners, with 19% of
a 2017 study of surveyed listeners citing it as a source for keeping
up-to-date with music ‹ down from 28% the previous year. Among
12-24 year olds who find music discovery important, AM/FM radio
(50%) becomes even less influential, trailing YouTube (80%), Spotify
(59%), and Pandora (53%).

€ By 2020, 75% of new cars are expected to be ³connected² to
digital services, breaking radio¹s monopoly on the car dashboard
and relegating AM/FM to just one of a series of audio options behind
the wheel. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, the
typical car in the U.S. was 11.6 years old in 2016, which explains
why radio has not yet faced its disruption event. However, drivers
are buying new cars at a faster rate than ever, and new vehicles
come with more installed options for digital music services.
...radio risks becoming a thing of the past, like the wax cylinder or
78 RPM record ­ fondly remembered but no longer relevant to an
audience that has moved on.²

Mountain Magpie

Sep 16, 2021, 7:01:29 PM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 18:34:34 -0400, nospam posted:-
Bit OT, but some of the shithole places I have had to go to don't even
have decent internet in the hotels. Some shove it through their own
network. Goes to say need to be careful there.

And in North Korea, when I was there, no Internet for foreigners at all.

nospam

Sep 16, 2021, 7:11:23 PM9/16/21
In article <iqi0m3...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
<Le...@blue.mountains.org> wrote:

> Bit OT, but some of the shithole places I have had to go to don't even
> have decent internet in the hotels. Some shove it through their own
> network. Goes to say need to be careful there.

hotel wifi almost always sucks. cellular is often much better, or a
coffeeshop around the corner.

> And in North Korea, when I was there, no Internet for foreigners at all.

how do they know a device is being used by a foreigner?

Mountain Magpie

Sep 16, 2021, 11:21:54 PM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 19:11:18 -0400, nospam posted:-

> > And in North Korea, when I was there, no Internet for foreigners at
> > all.
>
> how do they know a device is being used by a foreigner?

Their internet is locked down, I suppose if your device is not an
approved list, you can't get on.

nospam

Sep 16, 2021, 11:27:10 PM9/16/21
In article <iqifub...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
<Le...@blue.mountains.org> wrote:

> > > And in North Korea, when I was there, no Internet for foreigners at
> > > all.
> >
> > how do they know a device is being used by a foreigner?
>
> Their internet is locked down, I suppose if your device is not an
> approved list, you can't get on.

what denotes an approved device? if they go by mac address, that's very
easy to bypass.

geoff

Sep 16, 2021, 11:38:15 PM9/16/21
Yeah, internet doesn't need a nearby transmitter ....

geoff

Mountain Magpie

Sep 16, 2021, 11:41:23 PM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 23:27:04 -0400, nospam posted:-

> > Their internet is locked down, I suppose if your device is not an
> > approved list, you can't get on.
>
> what denotes an approved device? if they go by mac address, that's
> very easy to bypass.

No idea, sorry, but when I was there, and the guys I was with, could
never get a connection. And anything with GPS has to be declared at
the airport, and may be taken from you, to be returned when you leave.

And all photos in your camera are accessed on departure.

https://is.gd/pVDzGC

Was interesting to see the elite getting off the plane from Beijing,
and collecting flat screen TVs, laptops in original boxes, electronic
goods at the airport, and out in the boondocks see the poor people
scratching a harvested rice field for some dropped grains.

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 12:15:14 AM9/17/21
In article <WuCdndgu7poDkNn8...@giganews.com>, geoff

> >> Provided you have an Internet connection of course?
> >
> > yep, just as terrestrial radio needs a nearby transmitter.
> >
> > keep in mind that there is internet in places where radio can't be
> > received, such as inside steel/concrete buildings, tunnels, desolate
> > highways through the middle of nowhere, etc.
> >

> Yeah, internet doesn't need a nearby transmitter ....

there are shitloads of them dotting the major roads and in places radio
can't reach, such as tunnels or inside many buildings.

another advantage is you can keep listening to a station as you drive
outside its range, which for fm is 30-50 miles, depending on terrain.

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 12:15:15 AM9/17/21
In article <iqih2t...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
<Le...@blue.mountains.org> wrote:

> > > Their internet is locked down, I suppose if your device is not an
> > > approved list, you can't get on.
> >
> > what denotes an approved device? if they go by mac address, that's
> > very easy to bypass.
>

> No idea, sorry, but when I was there, and the guys I was with, could
> never get a connection.

that doesn't mean it can't be done. whether it's a good idea is another
story.

> And anything with GPS has to be declared at
> the airport, and may be taken from you, to be returned when you leave.

that's just about every phone, smartwatch and many cameras.

> And all photos in your camera are accessed on departure.

unless they're uploaded prior to departure.

your link expands to this and states:
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_North_Korea#Internet_policies>
Foreigners can access the internet using the 3G phone network

Mountain Magpie

Sep 17, 2021, 2:43:03 AM9/17/21
On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:15:10 -0400, nospam posted:-

> > > what denotes an approved device? if they go by mac address, that's
> > > very easy to bypass.
> >

> > No idea, sorry, but when I was there, and the guys I was with, could
> > never get a connection.
>
> that doesn't mean it can't be done. whether it's a good idea is
> another story.
>
> > And anything with GPS has to be declared at
> > the airport, and may be taken from you, to be returned when you
> > leave.
>
> that's just about every phone, smartwatch and many cameras.
>
> > And all photos in your camera are accessed on departure.
>
> unless they're uploaded prior to departure.

Without Internet, very difficult, last time I looked.

> your link expands to this and states:
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_North_Korea#Internet_policies>
> >
> Foreigners can access the internet using the 3G phone network

We couldn't. No signal at all.

geoff

Sep 17, 2021, 7:31:47 AM9/17/21
Never heard of 'No Signal' ? You can't drive very far. 50 miles isn't
'far'.

geoff

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 9:37:41 AM9/17/21
In article <iqirni...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
your phone might not have had all of the 3g bands.

3g is also old. 4g/lte has been around for about a decade and 5g is
starting to roll out.

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 9:37:42 AM9/17/21
In article <tJWdncr-BsAE4dn8...@giganews.com>, geoff
having no cell service is very rare unless you're in the middle of
nowhere, where there won't be any radio either.

the reality is that there is more likely to be cell service than radio
reception, and with cell service, you have the choice of thousands of
radio stations anywhere in the world, plus non-radio sources such as
podcasts, spotify, etc.

there is cellular service along desolate highways where there is no
radio or maybe one or two stations which won't be anything of interest.
btdt.

there are also cellular micro and femto cells inside buildings and
tunnels and other dead zones so that people can continue to their
phones. there are not radio repeaters in those locations.

tl;dr cell service is in more places than radio.

RichA

Sep 17, 2021, 8:13:52 PM9/17/21
Apple's new phones supposedly link to satellites in that case.

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 8:24:06 PM9/17/21
In article <fe951cbe-f111-40c0...@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Their internet is locked down, I suppose if your device is not an
> > approved list, you can't get on.
>
> Apple's new phones supposedly link to satellites in that case.

they do not, nor did that crazy rumour even say that was possible.

Mountain Magpie

Sep 17, 2021, 8:41:27 PM9/17/21
On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:37:36 -0400, nospam posted:-
The day before entering North Korea, we had a half day briefing session
in Beijing.. One of the issues raised was that phones would not work -
they didn't, and no Internet - there wasn't.

(Other matters raised were how to behalf, what items were of bounds,
places, etc., and what we couldn't photograph).

This was 2014. Either things have changed since then, and I doubt it,
probably only got worse, and/or that article is incorrect.

Carlos E. R.

Sep 17, 2021, 8:57:31 PM9/17/21
On 17/09/2021 00.34, nospam wrote:
> In article <iqhqiv...@mid.individual.net>, Mountain Magpie
> <Le...@blue.mountains.org> wrote:
>

>>> a smartphone, computer or smart speaker can stream radio stations from
>>> anywhere in the world, not just nearby, along with spotify and similar
>>> services, podcasts and much more.
>>
>> Provided you have an Internet connection of course?
>
> yep, just as terrestrial radio needs a nearby transmitter.

But not a contract.

> keep in mind that there is internet in places where radio can't be
> received, such as inside steel/concrete buildings, tunnels, desolate
> highways through the middle of nowhere, etc.

And the reverse, like mountain valleys and tops.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 9:00:30 PM9/17/21
In article <bvpf1ix...@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.
<robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> Provided you have an Internet connection of course?
> >
> > yep, just as terrestrial radio needs a nearby transmitter.
>
> But not a contract.

cellphones don't need a contract.

tablets in particular have monthly plans. you could enable it for a
road trip and cancel upon return.

not that it matters since nearly everyone has an active cellphone.

Carlos E. R.

Sep 17, 2021, 9:03:31 PM9/17/21
On 17/09/2021 15.37, nospam wrote:

>>> there are shitloads of them dotting the major roads and in places radio
>>> can't reach, such as tunnels or inside many buildings.
>>>
>>> another advantage is you can keep listening to a station as you drive
>>> outside its range, which for fm is 30-50 miles, depending on terrain.
>>>

>> Never heard of 'No Signal' ? You can't drive very far. 50 miles isn't
>> 'far'.
>
> having no cell service is very rare unless you're in the middle of
> nowhere, where there won't be any radio either.

There are many places here with no cell service, and there is radio
service (even TV). Not necesarily "nowhere" but even villages.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

geoff

Sep 17, 2021, 9:06:52 PM9/17/21
With even more restricted range.

geoff

geoff

Sep 17, 2021, 9:07:53 PM9/17/21
Don't need Apple - your Covid jab will do that for you.

geoff

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 9:25:21 PM9/17/21
In article <odqf1ix...@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.
<robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

> > having no cell service is very rare unless you're in the middle of
> > nowhere, where there won't be any radio either.
>
> There are many places here with no cell service, and there is radio
> service (even TV). Not necesarily "nowhere" but even villages.

nobody said there weren't such places, but overall, that is the
exception, not the rule.

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 9:25:22 PM9/17/21
In article <IdednekjHPg_ptj8...@giganews.com>, geoff
<ge...@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote:

> > 3g is also old. 4g/lte has been around for about a decade and 5g is
> > starting to roll out.
> >

> With even more restricted range.

only 5g mmw does.

low and midband 5g have similar or better range than 4g/lte.

no...@given.com

Sep 18, 2021, 2:37:08 AM9/18/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 13:07:44 +1200, geoff <ge...@nospamgeoffwood.org>
wrote:

>Don't need Apple - your Covid jab will do that for you.

Only for Americans.

Everybody else just gets innoculated against Covid. Cheated again!

Carlos E. R.

Sep 18, 2021, 5:33:38 AM9/18/21
Depends... They are not "very rare" nor "rare" here.
Places that are not going to change, that are going to stay that way.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Carlos E. R.

Sep 18, 2021, 5:44:00 AM9/18/21
On 18/09/2021 03.00, nospam wrote:

>>> yep, just as terrestrial radio needs a nearby transmitter.
>>
>> But not a contract.
>
> cellphones don't need a contract.

They do here. They need a SIM card, and they need a contract, even
prepaid ones. Anti-terrorism rules imposed by the USA after 9/11, your
name and ID must be recorded,

> tablets in particular have monthly plans. you could enable it for a
> road trip and cancel upon return.

A plan means a contract.

> not that it matters since nearly everyone has an active cellphone.

With a contract.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

nospam

Sep 18, 2021, 8:30:19 AM9/18/21
In article <trog1ix...@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.
<robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

> > cellphones don't need a contract.
>
> They do here. They need a SIM card, and they need a contract, even
> prepaid ones. Anti-terrorism rules imposed by the USA after 9/11, your
> name and ID must be recorded,

that definitely isn't anything the usa requires because the usa doesn't
require that itself.

cell service can be obtained in the usa using a fake name or no name at
all in some cases if that's what someone wants to do.

payments might be tricky, however, but not impossible. one way is by
using a prepaid gift card, such as the ones i mentioned in a previous
thread.

> > tablets in particular have monthly plans. you could enable it for a
> > road trip and cancel upon return.
>
> A plan means a contract.

nope. some plans are contracts, usually 1-2 years which normally
includes a discount on a phone as an enticement to sign up.

often the discount is substantial, such as a free iphone or android
phone, which they recover because you are committed to a 2 year
contract. if you cancel early, you will have to pay for the 'free'
phone.

other plans are monthly or quarterly. pay as you go, cancel at any
time. no discounts on phones.

> > not that it matters since nearly everyone has an active cellphone.
> >

> With a contract.

nope. see above.

it also doesn't matter. if someone has an active cellphone, whether or
not it's a contract, they can stream audio and much more.

Alan Browne

Sep 18, 2021, 12:49:39 PM9/18/21
On 2021-09-18 05:41, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> They do here. They need a SIM card, and they need a contract, even
> prepaid ones. Anti-terrorism rules imposed by the USA after 9/11, your
> name and ID must be recorded,

The only reason they want a contract and details is your government is
tight on comms.

Whenever I'm South America and buy a SIM card they photocopy my fricken
passport.

Here (Canada) I can buy a SIM or a burner phone with cash and that is
the end of it.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Mountain Magpie

Sep 18, 2021, 4:10:05 PM9/18/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:49:33 -0400, Alan Browne posted:-

> Whenever I'm South America and buy a SIM card they photocopy my
> fricken passport.

ID required here in Australia as well.

Carlos E. R.

Sep 18, 2021, 6:16:24 PM9/18/21
On 18/09/2021 18.49, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2021-09-18 05:41, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> They do here. They need a SIM card, and they need a contract, even
>> prepaid ones. Anti-terrorism rules imposed by the USA after 9/11, your
>> name and ID must be recorded,
>

> The only reason they want a contract and details is your government is
> tight on comms.

Not the case in Spain.

The USA forced its allies to do it after 9/11 as a counterterrorism
measure. If a mobile phone is used in a terrorism attack, they can track
down easily who bought it and who bought the SIM. Or maybe only the latter.

That Americans themselves are not subject to this shows typical USA
double standards :-p

It is not the only thing. For example, mailservers have to keep logs for
several years,

> Whenever I'm South America and buy a SIM card they photocopy my fricken
> passport.

yep.

> Here (Canada) I can buy a SIM or a burner phone with cash and that is
> the end of it.

Well, thanks your government for managing that, somehow :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.