Remarkable, the number of lenses and other things released into the market today

RichA

Aug 31, 2022, 8:34:02 PM8/31/22
Nearly every day, a new lens or two is announced. Not to mention other photographic accessories. Perhaps the death of the P&S was much more dramatic and extensive than the decline in sales of (now) mirrorless cameras? It's true that DSLR's are headed for the boneyard, as predicted, but overall numbers of ILC camera must still be fairly good for their to be such a strong
accessory market.

David Taylor

Sep 1, 2022, 1:31:44 AM9/1/22
On 01/09/2022 01:33, RichA wrote:
> Nearly every day, a new lens or two is announced. Not to mention other photographic accessories. Perhaps the death of the P&S was much more dramatic and extensive than the decline in sales of (now) mirrorless cameras? It's true that DSLR's are headed for the boneyard, as predicted, but overall numbers of ILC camera must still be fairly good for their to be such a strong
> accessory market.

Yes, surprising. I guess that manufacturers are desperate to get any income at
the moment, given the state of things.

Speaking personally, my Pixel 6 Pro now satisfies virtually all of my
photographic needs - that must count as my most recent purchase. It must be a
few years since I bought anything for the Panasonic MFT camera, and many years
since I bought anything for the Nikon DSLR. My most used kit after the phone
must be the MFT camera with either the Olympus macro lens, the f/1.7 lens for
low light, or the 300 mm lens for telephoto stuff. The phone is great for
low-light with built-in image stabilisation and image stacking.
--
Cheers,
David

Incubus

Sep 1, 2022, 4:44:57 AM9/1/22
On 2022-09-01, RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nearly every day, a new lens or two is announced. Not to mention other photographic accessories. Perhaps the death of the P&S was much more dramatic and extensive than the decline in sales of (now) mirrorless cameras? It's true that DSLR's are headed for the boneyard, as predicted, but overall numbers of ILC camera must still be fairly good for their to be such a strong
> accessory market.

Mirrorless cameras are relatively new technology and companies like
Nikon and Canon haven't yet achieved a full range of lenses compared to
what they have for DSLRs. Mirrorless cameras also allow for newer
designs.

RichA

Sep 2, 2022, 9:19:10 PM9/2/22
Canon and Nikon horribly dragged their feet on mirrorless whereas Panasonic and Olympus were in it since 2007. I'm surprised though that the idea of lens designs were made easier than in DSLRs. I would have figured the steep light ray angles associated with close-to-sensor lens mounts would have made it harder to design them.

Magani

Sep 3, 2022, 9:23:36 PM9/3/22
It would seem Canon wants to keep all (or at least most of) the cake for itself when it comes to third party lenses for its mirrorless RF mounts.

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-state-of-third-party-lenses-for-the-rf-mount-canon-may-be-involved/