Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse

RichA

Sep 15, 2021, 4:09:17 AM9/15/21
No point in going into why this is a scope for beginners, it just is. But I really hoped Nikon, looking for new revenue streams would have built their own kind of scope, they used to.

Mountain Magpie

Sep 15, 2021, 4:44:41 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:09:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-

> No point in going into why this is a scope for beginners, it just is.
> But I really hoped Nikon, looking for new revenue streams would have
> built their own kind of scope, they used to.

Link?

RichA

Sep 16, 2021, 1:10:22 AM9/16/21
https://petapixel.com/2021/09/14/unistellar-and-nikon-unveil-the-evscope-2-digital-telescope-camera/

Normal cheap Chinese 80mm triplet lens worth in a normal scope form about $900. In their scope, it's $4000.
They are releasing a 50mm aperture version for $1700.00. 50mm is about the same aperture as a regular telescope's FINDER scope, the little widefield scope on
the side of normal telescopes used to initially locate the object.
These are toys, basically. A grubby little sensor that produces "modest" output. This is really a toy. Or, good for astronomy "outreach" showing the public the sights, just no looking at them directly since
this is just an imaging scope. The only thing you could use it for maybe is a remote supernova or comet search, but I wouldn't count
on its drive-system being robust enough for that.

Eric Stevens

Sep 17, 2021, 8:30:56 PM9/17/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:10:19 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Having read the Petapixel article comments I have concluded that the
majority of the critics are judging the Unistellar by exactly the same
criteria that they would use for the conventional gear. Only a few
have recognized what it does differently and better than the other
gear on the market. I suspect that the Unistellar and others like it
will become a small but significant force to be reckoned with.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

RichA

Sep 23, 2021, 11:08:38 PM9/23/21
Only if lazy mouth-breathers with money become a part of the market.
I can see a couple things that the $53,000 six inch version could do, like supernova searches, but only if the mechanism is very robust.