Geosetter's Back!

Joe Makowiec

Jan 3, 2023, 10:50:39 AM1/3/23
Those of us who use Geosetter to geotag our images have noticed that the
program has deteriorated over the past couple of years, due to bit rot in
applications it depends on (Google Maps, Internet Explorer). There's a
beta out of an updated version, which appears to fix all the issues it
was having.

https://www.geosetter.de/geosetter_beta.exe

More information on Geosetter:

https://geosetter.de/en/main-en/

No connection; just a satisfied user. Geosetter is free software, but the
author does accept donations.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Joe Makowiec

Jan 3, 2023, 11:00:29 AM1/3/23
On 03 Jan 2023 in rec.photo.digital, Joe Makowiec wrote:

> https://www.geosetter.de/geosetter_beta.exe

If that doesn't work, try the version without the "www":

https://geosetter.de/geosetter_beta.exe

Alan Browne

Jan 3, 2023, 11:22:32 AM1/3/23
On 2023-01-03 10:50, Joe Makowiec wrote:
> Those of us who use Geosetter to geotag our images have noticed that the
> program has deteriorated over the past couple of years, due to bit rot in

Basic line commands in exiftool means not worrying about bitrot in
disparate applications that are often limited to a single OS. Indeed
many standalone apps use exiftool in part (by issuing exiftool commands
internally - incl. the cited app.

Whether one manually tags a photo or uses a GPS 'trail' record to sync
to the photos, it's very handy, well maintained runs on many OS'.

One caveat for using GPS recordings is the time setting on the camera
needs to be reasonably accurate (better than 1 minute good; better than
5 seconds better; better than 1 s best - esp. if shooting from a moving
platform).

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Alfred Molon

Jan 3, 2023, 1:19:35 PM1/3/23
Am 03.01.2023 um 19:22 schrieb Alan Browne:
> Basic line commands in exiftool means not worrying about bitrot in
> disparate applications that are often limited to a single OS.  Indeed
> many standalone apps use exiftool in part (by issuing exiftool commands
> internally - incl. the cited app.

But exiftools can't display the image locations on a map, which is what
I need Geosetter for.
--
Alfred Molon