Convert uncluttered image to editable 3D format

John Robertson

Feb 1, 2023, 10:01:07 PM2/1/23
Is there a free Windows app which can convert a clear JPEG photograph of a
mechanical object on a white background into a 3D image saved to some kind
of editable 3D image format so it can be modified further with freeware?
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Paul

Feb 2, 2023, 12:44:31 AM2/2/23
On 2/1/2023 12:39 PM, John Robertson wrote:
> Is there a free Windows app which can convert a clear JPEG photograph of a
> mechanical object on a white background into a 3D image saved to some kind
> of editable 3D image format so it can be modified further with freeware?

The reason scanners like this, have a turntable, is because
a single viewpoint would have occlusion of the far side of the
object.

https://www.amazon.ca/Released】CR-Scan-Lizard-Scanner-Combination/dp/B09Y8SDF78

Your picture would need a light source, and "just the right shading",
to stand even the remotest chance of working. The casting of shadows, is
what gives the object in that advert, perspective. If you put uniform lighting
all around the object, it would be very hard to extract anything. The shadows
help. And rotating to fill in details also helps, as 1 of the N photos may
provide the missing hint needed. If you've ever put an object on a turntable
like that, some of the photos come out washed-out from reflections. If you
shot 30 or 40 shots, at least some of the rotation angles would give
a good photo, and make up for the angles that gave washed-out shots.

I think your idea is cool, but like nuclear fusion, it's going to take
a while before a machine matches a human, in every respect.

( Ambiguous images... )

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1426245/rubins-vase.jpg

Paul

Chris

Feb 2, 2023, 2:26:52 AM2/2/23
John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com> wrote:
> Is there a free Windows app which can convert a clear JPEG photograph of a
> mechanical object on a white background into a 3D image saved to some kind
> of editable 3D image format so it can be modified further with freeware?

What you're asking for is photogrammetry software. However, I can't see how
it would be even theoretically possible to render a 2D image into 3D from a
single viewpoint only.

What you're asking for is impossible without reference to a catalogue of
existing 3D renders.

Alan Browne

Feb 2, 2023, 10:08:42 AM2/2/23
On 2023-02-01 12:39, John Robertson wrote:
> Is there a free Windows app which can convert a clear JPEG photograph of a
> mechanical object on a white background into a 3D image saved to some kind
> of editable 3D image format so it can be modified further with freeware?

What Chris said - spec. the notion that a photograph of an object is
taken from a viewpoint, aka: point of view.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”