What to do with old Photographic Paper

Greg Crawford

Jan 5, 2005, 11:26:36 PM1/5/05
I want to ask the group about alternatives to disposing of old photographic
paper. I'm not using the paper nor is it likely in the immediate future.
The paper is probably 12 + years old and has not been kept in a chilled
environment. I hate to throw it away. I can't imagine selling it, unless
there is someone willing to take a chance on old paper. I'd give it away to
someone who'll pay shipping. Sheets range in size from 8x10, 11x14 and
16x20. Any thoughts or ideas on the paper? Thanks

Greg Crawford, Topeka KS

Stefan Patric

Jan 6, 2005, 2:14:17 AM1/6/05

Surely, if you're giving it away, you can find someone in Topeka to take
it off your hands, good or not. Why waste time packing and shipping?
An ad in the photo section of the classifieds of your local newspaper
or college paper or just a note in a camera store would do. Or have a
weekend garage sale and get rid of the paper and a lot of other stuff
you have no use for.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

jjs

Jan 6, 2005, 8:40:45 AM1/6/05
Sell it to me!

jo...@mybrain.stafford.net (remove mybrain to fix the address)

jjs

Jan 6, 2005, 8:41:40 AM1/6/05
Wait - if it is color paper forget it. I have a bunch I'll never use.

Richard Knoppow

Jan 7, 2005, 3:47:33 AM1/7/05

"Greg Crawford" <greg-c...@cox.net> wrote in message
Is it B&W or color? If its B&W its probably still good,
depending on what it is. I just tried some Agfa Brovira
that's probably 20 years old and its fine. Other papers
vary. Old Kodak variable contrast paper is probably suitable
for wrapping fish but most graded papers should still be OK.
Test a little and see if its fogged or has lost a lot of
contrast. A little fog can be fixed with Benzotriazole.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

PATRICK GAINER

Jan 7, 2005, 1:16:45 PM1/7/05
Now Richard, you know that paper would be too stiff to make a decent fish wrapper.

Richard Knoppow

Jan 7, 2005, 8:51:02 PM1/7/05

"PATRICK GAINER" <pga...@rtol.net> wrote in message
I was thinking of wrapping outdated fish where paper
stiffness is of no consequence.
I am going through a stash of old paper (not for wrapping
fish) and will post what I find. Some of this stuff is
probably thirty years old.

LR Kalajainen

Jan 7, 2005, 10:09:50 PM1/7/05
I've been carting around about 25 sheets of Portriga Rapid for the past
20 years. It'll be real interesting to see whether it's "sleeping with
the fishes," or whether it's still good. I keep telling myself that I'm
saving it for a special occasion, but it hasn't come along yet. It's
the paper that taught me what shadow detail was all about.

jjs

Jan 7, 2005, 10:13:29 PM1/7/05
I'd love to have some old Agfa Brovira. IMHO it was the best graded paper in
the world.

at @the-wire.dotcom Lloyd Usenet-Erlick

Jan 8, 2005, 8:47:55 AM1/8/05
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:51:02 -0800, "Richard Knoppow"
<dick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I am going through a stash of old paper (not for wrapping
>fish) and will post what I find. Some of this stuff is
>probably thirty years old.

jan805 from Lloyd Erlick,

Better be careful with that old Brovira, though ...
even in my limited circle there are those who might fly
down to California and stalk you for it ... especially
this time of year!

regards,
--le

Ken Hart

Jan 7, 2005, 9:53:56 PM1/7/05

"Richard Knoppow" <dick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

How about giving it to the local scout troop (or other kid's organization),
and showing them how to make shadowgrams? (Place objects on the paper,
expose and develope--pre-teen kids find it kewl!) Might just encourage them
to try the darkroom and keep them away from the evil digital cameras!

There could even be a tax deduction in it for you!

Ken Hart

Richard Knoppow

Jan 8, 2005, 8:28:15 PM1/8/05

"Ken Hart" <kwh...@aec.nu> wrote in message
Its possible to make a sort of printing out paper from
standard developing paper. I don't remember the exact
procedure but I think it involves treating the surface with
a silver Nitrate solution.

Richard Knoppow

Jan 8, 2005, 8:26:53 PM1/8/05

"Lloyd Usenet-Erlick" <Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com> wrote in
message news:mrovt09l5bg1vtqk6...@4ax.com...

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:51:02 -0800, "Richard Knoppow"
> <dick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> I am going through a stash of old paper (not for
>> wrapping
>>fish) and will post what I find. Some of this stuff is
>>probably thirty years old.
>

> jan805 from Lloyd Erlick,
>
> Better be careful with that old Brovira, though ...
> even in my limited circle there are those who might fly
> down to California and stalk you for it ... especially
> this time of year!
>
> regards,
> --le
>
> ________________________________
> Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
> voice: 416-686-0326
> email: port...@heylloyd.com
> net: www.heylloyd.com
> ________________________________
> --
I have some Grade-6. I got this stuff from a friend who
loved high contrast prints. This sounds liek
super-high-contrast but, for many years, Agfa used one
number higher than anyone else for its contrast grades,
i.e., Grade-3 was "normal", so its not quite _that_
contrasty.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Jan 9, 2005, 10:39:56 AM1/9/05
"Richard Knoppow" <dick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote

> Its possible to make a sort of printing out paper from
> standard developing paper. I don't remember the exact
> procedure but I think it involves treating the surface with
> a silver Nitrate solution.

As near as I can remember from being 8 years old:
1/2 a day in bright sunlight worked ok with
no chemicals needed. Probably AZO paper.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Mark Fohl

Jan 10, 2005, 7:56:08 AM1/10/05
I'm always in the market for old Brovira #6 (BEH) 8x10 or 11x14. The best
way to do Sabattier work.

Also, for my old paper, I try to take to my local hazardous waste collection
site. I also take my used fixer there.

-- Mark

"jjs" <j...@nospam.net> wrote in message

bob

Jan 21, 2005, 4:57:18 PM1/21/05
"Richard Knoppow" <dick...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in news:3470lfF45mp8cU1
@individual.net:

> Is it B&W or color? If its B&W its probably still good,
> depending on what it is. I just tried some Agfa Brovira
> that's probably 20 years old and its fine. Other papers

I have some Kodabromide that's about 20 years old. The last time I tried to
use it (a couple years ago) it was fogged. It could still be used for some
purposes (but not anything that requires white).

Bob

Nicholas O. Lindan

Jan 21, 2005, 5:49:20 PM1/21/05
"bob" <n...@not.not> wrote

> I have some Kodabromide that's about 20 years old. The last time I tried to
> use it (a couple years ago) it was fogged. It could still be used for some
> purposes (but not anything that requires white).

If it is not too far gone Benztriazole (SP?) works wonders. AGFA MCxx RC
that came up dirty grey became usable, the print borders were as white
as the back of the paper.

I mix the benzumptydump with 91% drug-store alcohol. The alcohol bottle makes
dandy storage for the resultant stock solution.

bob

Jan 21, 2005, 11:03:41 PM1/21/05
"Nicholas O. Lindan" <s...@sig.com> wrote in news:QFfId.3293$cZ1.357
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> If it is not too far gone Benztriazole (SP?) works wonders.

What's that, and where do you get it? Some kind of bleach? How do you use
it?

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply