How can I remove dev./fix. stains from clothing ?

Oberle_cadcat

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

After my last B&W darkroom session I found dark brown stains
on my white cotton shirt. I guess it is developer (or fixer?)

Has anyone an idea how I can remove this ugly spots ?

Thanks for your help

Hans-Dieter

Gordon Root

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Oberle_cadcat (obe...@petz.hl.siemens.de) wrote:
: After my last B&W darkroom session I found dark brown stains

: Thanks for your help

: Hans-Dieter

It would be the developer . Try diluted Chlorox or similar product
available to you. You are lucky it was a white shirt and not colored.
Gordon

LJ Powell

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

>Oberle_cadcat (obe...@petz.hl.siemens.de) wrote:
>: After my last B&W darkroom session I found dark brown stains
>: on my white cotton shirt. I guess it is developer (or fixer?)

>: Has anyone an idea how I can remove this ugly spots ?

Been there - done that - caught hell from the wife

Most camera shops sell a darkroom stain remover - about US$7 for a 2
oz bottle but it goes a long way. I think it's distributed by Kalt.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Louie Powell
<LJPo...@ix.netcom.com>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tony Sleep

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

Well, suplhuric acid *will* get rid of the stains, but also the clothing
too :)

Tony Sleep
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~tsphoto/
Tony Sleep - online portfolio & exhibit

Jeffrey Bunting

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96
to Gordon Root

For fixer stains on clothing: No matter how careful you are in the
darkroom every once in a while fixer can splash on your clothing.
Although there are prepaid stain removers on the market(photographers
formulary 800-922-5255) you can mix your own. the following kodak S-10
silver stain remover formul may be the answer
Water 96 fluid oz.
Thiourea 10 oz.
Citric acid 10 oz.
water to make 1 Gal.
To use: Thoroughly soak the stained area of the cloth with the above
solution, then wait for the stain to disappear. After removing the
stain, wash the garment thoroughly. If the stain is a old one it will
not only take longer to remove it may require more than one application
of the stain remover.
Note: Thiourea is a powerful foggin agent for silver senssitized photo
material, it is used in reversal and toning baths. By all means, keep it
away from your processing area. Handle both the thiourea and the citric
acid with care. wear rubber gloves and aviod inhaling any chemical dust.
following use, the gloves should be cleaned in a weak household bleach
solution eg 30ml of bleach to 1 quart water.
hope this works for you. it has saved many shirts for me over the years,
although you should test it on a unseen corner to test it's reaction the
the cloth, some different materials react differently, photo chemistry
is linked to cloth dyeing chemistry I've heard. this is a formula I
lifted out of a photo mag years ago. good luck.elfoto
--

__________________________
Jeffrey R. Bunting(j...@maui.net)

Gary Gaugler

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

obe...@petz.hl.siemens.de (Oberle_cadcat) wrote:

>After my last B&W darkroom session I found dark brown stains
>on my white cotton shirt. I guess it is developer (or fixer?)

>Has anyone an idea how I can remove this ugly spots ?

>Thanks for your help

>Hans-Dieter

Most photo shops sell SpotOut which will do a nice job of removing
these spots if caught soon enough.

Gary Gaugler
Modern surfers use PC boards. You can too at
http://photoweb.net

thom Mitchell

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

In article <50mm2f$c...@login.freenet.columbus.oh.us>,
glr...@freenet.columbus.oh.us says...

>Oberle_cadcat (obe...@petz.hl.siemens.de) wrote:
>: After my last B&W darkroom session I found dark brown stains
>: on my white cotton shirt. I guess it is developer (or fixer?)
>
>: Has anyone an idea how I can remove this ugly spots ?
>

>: Thanks for your help
>
>: Hans-Dieter
>
>It would be the developer . Try diluted Chlorox or similar product
>available to you. You are lucky it was a white shirt and not colored.
>Gordon

I think the spots are fixer and I have heard of a product called x-14
which is suppossed to get them out. I don't actually know. In my
experience developer always washes out (at least d-76 and dektol and tmax)
but fixer stains are forever. Also be very careful of wool and leather
(including shoes) around fixer, it eats them. Get a lab coat or apron for
your darkroom sessions. Good luck.

Thom

financi...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2016, 7:01:33 PM10/8/16
Fix-Off Co. introduces Fix-Off, a stain remover for photographic chemical stains, including X-ray, silver nitrate, and photographic fixer stains.
- Fix-Off is safe on all white or color-fast uniforms or lab coats.
- The product is applied directly to the stain. A blend of two softeners enhances the formula for permanent press fabric.
- Fix-off is available in 4-oz. or 32- oz. bottles.
- For more information, contact Fix-Off Co., (888) 758-0688.