Looking for darkroom-stain remover formulation

Sven .

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Hi all,

I'm VERY new to this newsgroup, so please excuse me if this is the XXth time
this is coming up.....
I'm looking for a chemical formulation to remove darkroom (i.e. developer
and fixer) stains from clothing. Preferably one that's *safe for the
fabric*.
I've found some companies on the net offering products to do the job, but
either you have to order massive volumes, or they only deliver within the
U.S. (and i live in Europe) So, any DIY-suggestions would be most
appreciated :)

Regards,
Sven U.

-**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

Donald Karon

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
to Sven .
I believe they are permanent and nothing known to man can remove them. Metal
stains in fabric (silver or selenium toner) fuse somehow with the fiber. Wear
old clothes for darkroom work.

Don Karon

John G. Walter

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
I've never had any luck getting developer stains out of clothing and the
only thing that seems to make a dent in stains elsewhere is a mild solution
of acid, commonly available from Kodak as Developer System Cleaner.

The best advice is to NOT wear good clothes in the darkroom, or wear a lab
coat. or an apron.

If you do splash some developer on clothing, you can neutralize it with
fixer and then rinse it off with water immediately. This will prevent the
stain from appearing later, but only works when the developer is still wet.

"Sven ." <svenn...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<p5E92.340$m4.676766@WReNphoon2>...

JBlance696

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
I came across the following formula in a book years ago. I have never tried it
so use it at your own risk- Jon

Removing developer stains from clothes:

Damp the spots with 5% solution of potassium permanganate. Allow to remain for
a few moments and then decolorise with 10% solution sodium bisulphite.

In the case of colored cloth or fabric,care must be exercised, otherwise the
treatment may cause the appearance of a bleached area.

Christer Almqvist

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
You may want to try another approch than those already suggested: get down to
the roots of the problem and avoid the stains by using chemicals that cause
less stain than others. I have found that developers that do not contain
hydroquinone but instead use ascorbic acid as a base hardly cause any stain
on clothes, towels etc.. I use Kodak Xtol for films and Agfa Neutol plus for
paper. You can tell there is a difference if you put your fingers into the
developer. If a paper sticks to the developer tray I never hesitate to use my
hands, now that I use Neutol plus. I never did it with other developers.

SPECTRUM

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:44:20 -0800, svenn...@hotmail.com ("Sven .")
wrote:

|>I've found some companies on the net offering products to do the job, but
|>either you have to order massive volumes, or they only deliver within the
|>U.S. (and i live in Europe) So, any DIY-suggestions would be most
|>appreciated :)
|>
|>Regards,
|> Sven U.

You can buy a paste from B&H that is produced by Photographic
Solutions which should satisfy your needs. Check out PS at
http://www.photographicsolutions.com/ .

Regards,

John S. Douglas
S p e c t r u m P h o t o g r a p h i c I n c .
W o r l d F i e l d P h o t o g r a p h e r s A s s o c i a t i o n

http://www.spectrumphoto.com spec...@adelphia.net

Sven .

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98
Thanks for all suggestions, maybe i should have
pointed out that i DO allways wear a lab coat when
working in the darkroom. It's just that it's gotten so
dirty with brown stains all over it (actually, you can
clearly make out where i wipe my hands on it) that i
wanted to know if there's a method to remove them.
Normal washing doesn't remove the stains, so i suspect
the stains are not your normal kind of dirt-on-fabric
stains but rather a chemical has reacted *with* the
fabric. I've allready tried the permanganese-sulfite
method (also a crude way to make your pictures look
really old and faded) and it doesn't really work.
If the stains were made up of silver (first dissolved
in the fixer and then oxidized to the air on the
fabric) it should work, or not ?
It is method is safe for the white cotton fabric
though!

Greetings,
Sven U.

-**** Posted from remarQ, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.remarq.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

thomasedw...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2017, 11:07:48 AM4/5/17
19 years later...:D

v.estr...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2018, 11:52:48 PM7/25/18
I know Im 20 years late but I became a dentist in a third world country and I found that to remove developer stains you could use vinegar, Clorox and Salt. Warning: The fumes are toxic so do so in a well ventilated area and avoid inhalation.

Jacob Habib

Feb 6, 2021, 10:01:59 PM2/6/21
23 years late