Agfa Color Magnolar ./. Magnolar II

Carsten Rocke

Jul 2, 2001, 2:54:34 PM7/2/01
Does anyone know the difference between the Color Magnolar II and the
(presumably older) Color Magnolar by Agfa (to be used with the enlarger Agfa
Varioscop)? Thanks. Carsten.

Martin Jangowski

Jul 2, 2001, 4:17:11 PM7/2/01

The Color-Magnolar is a Tessar-Type and not very good (I made one 20x25
enlargement with the 105mm from a 6x7 negative and started looking for
an alternative). The Color-Magnolar II is better, but I haven't seen
any results from it.

Try to fit a M39 adaptor to your Varioskop (more per mail) and fit a Rodagon
105mm to it. There is no easy solution for the 60mm lens...

Martin

Ralf R. Radermacher

Jul 2, 2001, 4:40:10 PM7/2/01
Martin Jangowski <m.jan...@phoenix-ag.de> wrote:

> Try to fit a M39 adaptor to your Varioskop (more per mail) and fit a Rodagon
> 105mm to it.

Aha? Bitte näheres....

> There is no easy solution for the 60mm lens...

Viel blöder ist, dass man kein 80er verwenden kann. Mit dem 105er ist
mit 6x6 bei 30 x 30 cm Sense. Wenn ich weiss, dass ich hinterher 30 x 40
brauche, muss ich KB machen. :(

Vielleicht sollte man einen Kreis der Varioskop-Liebhaber/Geschädigten
aufmachen.

Gruß,
Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.free-photons.de

Ralf R. Radermacher

Jul 2, 2001, 4:52:29 PM7/2/01
Silly old me <ra...@free-photons.de> wrote:

> Aha? Bitte näheres....

Sorry about this. Was meant to be an email.

Torsten Wiens

Jul 3, 2001, 2:27:22 PM7/3/01
Hi.

Martin Jangowski schrieb:

> > Does anyone know the difference between the Color Magnolar II and the
> > (presumably older) Color Magnolar by Agfa (to be used with the enlarger Agfa
> > Varioscop)?

> Try to fit a M39 adaptor to your Varioskop (more per mail) and fit a Rodagon

> 105mm to it. There is no easy solution for the 60mm lens...

Well, "easy" is not exactly the word for it, but you can make some
modifications so it's going to work just like a "normal", non-AF
enlarger. You need to adopt a M39 mount on it (either by using the
holder for one of the lenses or by building a new one, it's not as
hard as it sounds) and then turn the autofocus into a manual focus.

This can be done by disabling the mechanism (remove the little metal
pin from the lens holder that travels with the AF mechanism) and
installing some mechanic parts that allow you to move the bellows up
and down. I used a "Gewindestange" (sorry, I don't know the english
term), a knob, two screws and a few other cheap parts.

I did this some time ago to my Varioskop, and it's been working fine
for me. If you're interested in details, just ask.

Regards,
Torsten Wiens

Jan Partch

Jun 13, 2022, 8:03:57 AM6/13/22
There were several generations of Agfa Magnolar and Color-Magnolar lenses, of several different designs. Sometimes quite major design differences underlie apparently similar lenses. For a full guide to identification and disambiguation, please see http://www.deltalenses.com. Each version is tracked in the main archive, and your query is addressed in a specific article about the history of Agfa enlarger lenses there.

Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Jul 20, 2022, 9:38:57 AM7/20/22
Well I don;t know about the Magnoalr, but I inherited a meopta axomat
II, must be from 1971 at least, because it came with a lightmaster
automatic exposure meter, which had a siemens capacitor from 1971!!
It came with a meopta meopar 50 f 4.5 lens for which I found very little
information in the internet. I found only that it's a 5 element lens. It
is very scratched and sofar the only thing in the "packet" that was in
bad condition (apart a tray with a hole). I recently purchased through
second hand darkroom a meopta axomat 5 colour and with this a pristine
used fujimoto 6 element lens. wondering if this lens would fit over the
old enlarger so I could upgrade it i I put them side to side and for
good measure measured their threads with a caliper. The old one was M23
(or M 24 I'm not totally sure) and the new one was, of course M 39!!!
The old one must come from an age before the M39 became the standard for
enlarger lenses!! So I must stay with the old Meopar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167258532@N02/51446991482/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167258532@N02/51447993418/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167258532@N02/51447743906/in/dateposted-public/