DIY film drying cabinet instructions...

Rick Warburton

Oct 18, 2002, 11:49:42 PM10/18/02
web site? I am getting too much dust hardened into the emulsion by letting
them air dry which takes 2/3 hours. A quick dry in a cabinet with filtered
air should solve that problem, shouldn't it? Is there a web site with DIY
instructions?

T.I.A.

Rick Warburton

Markus Keinath

Oct 19, 2002, 4:03:13 PM10/19/02

Take a look at Claudio Bonavoltas Site:
http://www.infomaniak.ch/~bonavolt/fdryer.htm

Markus
Keinaths Photohomepage:
Modification, Repair and DIY of Photographic Equipment:
www.keinaths-fotohomepage.gmxhome.de

lee carmichael

Oct 19, 2002, 5:44:11 PM10/19/02
that link gives me the error "site not found"

lee\c

"Markus Keinath" <K110...@compuserve.de> wrote in message

Markus Keinath

Oct 19, 2002, 6:16:54 PM10/19/02
Uups, Sorry:

Here is the new link:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/fdryer.htm

Rich Shepard

Oct 20, 2002, 8:00:23 PM10/20/02
In article <3db1d977...@news.compuserve.de>, Markus Keinath wrote:

Thank you, Markus.

I like reading that the inside is painted. That removes an objection to
wooden driers: getting little bits of wood on the film.

Rich

some dude

Oct 20, 2002, 9:45:25 PM10/20/02
I have a very, very small closet that I put a de-ionizer/air-cleaner
in and put it in "quiet" mode. Its made by holmes and cost about $50.
Along with my trusty staticmaster brush I have since never had any
dirt or anything on my negs.

Perhaps you could adapt this somehow. I know it seems odd to have
particles floating around the room during drying but it doesn't seem
to cause any problems. (at least for me)

(p.s. the room door stays closed 24/7 and i vacuum it once a week)

On 21 Oct 2002 00:00:23 GMT, Rich Shepard <rshe...@appl-ecosys.com>

Jim Phelps

Oct 21, 2002, 6:13:11 AM10/21/02

"Rick Warburton" <rwa...@NOSPAMcomnetcom.net> wrote in message
You can also go to Home Depot and buy a cheapo kitchen cabinet that's about
6 foot tall and 1 foot square. Place a heater and fan in the top portion
using an included shelf as the mounting platform. The heating element can
be removed from an old hair dryer and the fan a kitchen or bathroom variety.
Cut a hole in the bottom and place a piece of woven filter material over it.
This keeps dust from coming in this way. Cut another hole (square) at the
top to fit a square automotive pleated air filter from your local auto parts
store. The size of this hole depends on the filter you choose. Air flow is
from top to bottom. Use some window gasket strips around the door to make
it air tight. Form some sort of interior door or cover to seal over the fan
and heater so the air is forced down. Hang your film about 6" below the fan
mounting board and don't forget to seal any exposed wood from the holes with
paint. If you want to get fancy, buy a timer from Home Depot or Radio Shack
and put it in-line. The whole project will cost you about $150.00 -
$200.00. You can't even get a commercial hanging plastic bag film dryer for
that little.

Jim

Brian Ellis

Oct 24, 2002, 7:57:52 AM10/24/02
I hate do it yourself projects since I never have the right tools and always
seem to end up with something that costs about as much as if I had bought it
from a store but looks much worse. If you're like me and want a film drying
cabinet, Home Depot sells a variety of tall, slim cabinets that I look at
every time I'm there and think how easily they could be adapted for use as
film drying cabinets. If you wanted heat it should be a fairly simple
matter to cut a small hole where a hair dryer could be inserted. They cost
around $100 and of course are painted, have hinges, etc. I've never checked
exact dimensions but several of them look tall enough to handle 35 mm film
(or you could always cut the film into two sections)..

"some dude" <so...@dude.net> wrote in message

Lloyd Erlick

Oct 24, 2002, 8:45:43 AM10/24/02
oct2402 from Lloyd Erlick,

I used a cabinet similar to the ones described. I didn't bother putting any fan
or heat source in it, I just put a roll of plastic across the whole front of it
in such a way that I could roll it up for access and drop it to keep dust out
but not seal it off so films could dry. (I did remove the interior shelves,
though.)

I find film dries in several hours no problem; overnight is fine. The big
variable is humidity in the drying area, and if it is appropriately dry
(relative humidity within the 'human comfort range') the film will dry quickly.

The cabinet I found is a little longer than a roll of 35 mm film. I place clean
rags in the bottom when I hang film, squirt distilled water down both sides of
each roll as I hang it, and remove the rags when I'm done (no dust or fibers
from the rags because I keep them clean for this purpose, don't shake them, and
the squirting of the distilled wets the interior of the cabinet enough to down
the dust if it's there.) Then I walk away.

A good cheap source for such a cabinet is the Salvation Army Thrift Shop or the
Goodwill, or similar organization. Be sure to look for a nice seventies model,
with the plastic stick-on wood grain finish. That stuff wipes down cleanly very
easily, and it's ever so stylish...

regards,
--le

"Brian Ellis" <bell...@earthlink.net> wrote:

-------------------------------------
Lloyd Erlick,
357 Richmond Street West,
Toronto M5V 1X3 Canada.
---
voice 416-596-8751
ll...@the-wire.com
http://www.heylloyd.com
-------------------------------------

Clint O'Connor

Oct 31, 2002, 7:48:52 AM10/31/02
Most of those are laminated too (no dust, no particles, no painting, and
easy wipe down) and there's no way you can laminate one yourself and still
beat that price. However, if you stick a fan or hair dryer in, be sure to
filter the intake. If you just put one shelf (a lot of them have optional
shelves) in at the bottom a few inches up and seal it, you can build a fan
and filter system in there permanently.

Personally, I think just hanging them, closing the doors, and waiting
overnight is probably best. If you can afford to be patient. That's easier
when you have a day job.

Clint

"Brian Ellis" <bell...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Lloyd Erlick

Oct 31, 2002, 8:37:31 AM10/31/02
"Clint O'Connor" <clint@no~.argonauta.~spam.com> wrote:

...snip

However, if you stick a fan or hair dryer in, be sure to
>filter the intake.

If you decide to put a heat source in, be careful. I started using my drying
cabinet with a small wattage light bulb inside for heat. If there are rolls of
film hanging within the column of hot air rising from the heat source, they
strongly tend to develop a surface haze that is very distressing. so placement
of the heat inlet is crucial.

>Personally, I think just hanging them, closing the doors, and waiting
>overnight is probably best.

This is my conclusion, too. My film dries absolutely pristinely, no dust stuck
into it, no surface irregularites, no filter to check regularly.

regards,
--le

Rich Shepard

Oct 31, 2002, 5:18:22 PM10/31/02
In article <3dc130cd...@news.the-wire.com>, Lloyd Erlick wrote:

> If you decide to put a heat source in, be careful. I started using my drying
> cabinet with a small wattage light bulb inside for heat. If there are rolls of
> film hanging within the column of hot air rising from the heat source, they
> strongly tend to develop a surface haze that is very distressing. so placement
> of the heat inlet is crucial.

Lloyd,

I won't argue that drying without extra heat does the job. What I've been
doing, and without the haze you mention, is to hang the strips of negatives
in a clear, plastic "portable wardrobe" that I hang in the garage on the bar
where we hang clothes coming out of the drier. I have a small, outdoor
floodlight that sits on the floor underneath my contraption and it adds just
enough heat so the film dries within a couple of hours. What's nice about
the plastic cabinet is being able to collapse it and store it in a small
space when not needed.

This time of year I suppose it also works to keep the water from freezing
on the film, too. :-)

Rich