Ilford FP4 (OLD - not "plus") development times

Peter Sneesby

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Can anyone provide me with suitable development times for Ilford FP4
using Ilford "Plus" developer? I have a really old "mystery" roll (ie it
is FP4 and not FP4 Plus!!!). NB it is 35mm, spiral tank, 20C etc.

Thanks!
Peter.

John Rogers

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

FWIW, my bottle of Rodinal lists development time for old FP4 as 9
minutes; the development time for FP4 Plus in Rodinal 25:1 is 6 minutes.

You can probably therefore take whatever time Ilford "Plus" developer
recommends for FP 4 Plus and increase by about 50 percent and be in the
developmental ballpark.

Cheers,

John Rogers

Harris Goldstein

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97
to Peter Sneesby

Peter Sneesby wrote:

> Can anyone provide me with suitable development times for Ilford FP4
> using Ilford "Plus" developer? I have a really old "mystery" roll (ie it
> is FP4 and not FP4 Plus!!!). NB it is 35mm, spiral tank, 20C etc.
>
> Thanks!
> Peter.

My 'old' information indicates the following times for FP4 (not FP4+)
with ID11 Plus:

Full Strength: 6.5m at 68degF, 4.25m at 75degF
Diluted 1 to 1: 9m at 68degF, 6m at 75degF

Harris

MarBau

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

I would simply use the times for FP4+ as I can't recall any difference in
speed point or curve shape when FP4+ came out over the older FP4.

FP3 to FP4 OTOH were quite different films.

Mark.

The above thoughts are opinions, flame me for errors in fact but do not flame me for having an opinion.

Jimmy Tung

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

Peter Sneesby (snee...@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
: Can anyone provide me with suitable development times for Ilford FP4
: using Ilford "Plus" developer? I have a really old "mystery" roll (ie it
: is FP4 and not FP4 Plus!!!). NB it is 35mm, spiral tank, 20C etc.
:
: Thanks!
: Peter.

I haven't the foggiest what "Plus" developer is, so maybe you should
consider this info appropriately. ;-)

According to my old copy of the Compact Photo-Lab-Index (1979), the
following times at 68 F are recommended. THe first time is for G0.55 for
conventional enlargers and the second, G of 0.70 for cold cathode
enlargers (presumably cold light).

developer G0.55 G0.70

ID11 (stock) 6.5 10
ID11 (1+1) 9 14
ID11 (1+3) 15 22

Microphen(stock) 5 7.5
Microphen(1+1) 8 13
Microphen(1+3) 11 20

Perceptol(stock) 10 13
Perceptol(1+1) 11 15
Perceptol(1+3) 16 28

I imagine that you might have some fog or loss of latent image, so a slight
increase in developing time might be appropriate to ensure usable
negatives. There's also a periodically posted list of common
films+developers (use DejaNews, if necessary) and several web sites which
copies/clones of this data.

My experience with FP4 and its competitor Kodak Plus-X has been these are
great films for having a high tolerance for developing/exposure
"errors". In student labs I've seen some virtually bulletproof negs
produce some pretty usable images.

Peter Ingram

Feb 23, 2022, 12:07:17 PM2/23/22
On Tuesday, April 8, 1997 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, John Rogers wrote:
> FWIW, my bottle of Rodinal lists development time for old FP4 as 9
> minutes; the development time for FP4 Plus in Rodinal 25:1 is 6 minutes.
> You can probably therefore take whatever time Ilford "Plus" developer
> recommends for FP 4 Plus and increase by about 50 percent and be in the
> developmental ballpark.
> Cheers,
> John Rogers
> > Can anyone provide me with suitable development times for Ilford FP4
> > using Ilford "Plus" developer? I have a really old "mystery" roll (ie
> it
> > is FP4 and not FP4 Plus!!!). NB it is 35mm, spiral tank, 20C etc.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Peter.

Old thread I know, but Mass Dev Chart cites 9 mins for FP4+ and not 6………
Can you clarify please as I too need to develop some ‘old’ FP4 in Rodinal.