Kodak has discontinued R-3000 chemicals..

1 view

TheYankeeSnapper

Jun 11, 2003, 6:47:52 PM6/11/03
With the demise of Kodaks R-3000 chemicals, are there any chemical
alternatives? The Kodak R-3 chemicals come in too large of quantities.
Does Fuji have chemical kits available for the home darkroom or is it back to
Ilfochrome and the P-30 kits?

Regards.

Bob McCarthy
theyanke...@aol.com

Gregory W. Blank

Jun 11, 2003, 7:36:29 PM6/11/03

The way I look at it you have several options:

You can A) buy in large quantities and support the media if you really like it.
Or B) bitch and moan when everyone else discountinues it also.
Resolve yourself like most of the known world to living with slightly
less than ferior inkjet/ lambda or 1/2 a dozen other types of cloned digital outputs.

That stated, You would be better off talking with dealers than the posters
here on this humble group. To my limited knowledge, Agfa, Fuji and Ilford
all supply R type or slide to positive compatiable chemistry. If ya snooze you'll lose.

Good Luck.

--
Check out My Homepage at
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Eric

Jun 11, 2003, 9:05:42 PM6/11/03
In article <20030611184752...@mb-m29.aol.com>, TheYankeeSnapper wrote:
> With the demise of Kodaks R-3000 chemicals, are there any chemical
> alternatives? The Kodak R-3 chemicals come in too large of quantities.
> Does Fuji have chemical kits available for the home darkroom or is it back to
> Ilfochrome and the P-30 kits?

Given the level of stock most dealers keep of the Ilfochrome stuff, I
wouldn't expect that to be around much longer either. I'd love to hear
otherwise from someone who knows, though.

eric

TheYankeeSnapper

Jun 11, 2003, 9:17:08 PM6/11/03
>Subject: Re: Kodak has discontinued R-3000 chemicals..
>From: Who...@hear-a-who.net (Gregory W. Blank)
>Date: 6/11/2003 7:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time

I didn't find this response very helpful, but others have responded with more
useful information:

1. Kodak has also discontinued it's Radiance paper.
2. The only supplier of R-3000 type chemicals appears to be Freestyle in L.A.

Freestyle # 1183000 Arista Reversal 2 ltr. kit @ $26.99
3. in checking Fuji's web site they still have their Reversal 35, & SG listed.
But for how long, who knows? Fuji chemicals do not cater to the small home
darkrooms.

Regards.

Bob McCarthy
theyanke...@aol.com

Jazztptman

Jun 11, 2003, 9:56:22 PM6/11/03
Kodak discontinued R-3000 chemicals over a year ago. I heard that Fuji
announced disontinuance of their Type R papers around the same time although
they still list all the info on them on their web site with no notice of them
being discontinued.

Just a few months ago, Kodak announced that all the Radiance (Type R) papers
and the larger sized R-3 chemicals used in large replenished processors would
be discontinued as of this September.

Maybe Ilford will find the smaller market large enough to continue making
Cibachrome papers for a few more years. You may have to settle for having your
transparencies scanned and printed digitally on RA-4 paper, or get
internegatives made.
Bernie

Lyle Gordon

Jun 11, 2003, 10:00:52 PM6/11/03
Im not very knowledgeable about colour chemistry but could it be possible to
buy bulk chemcals individually and make the chemicals you need, this is
often done for BW chemistry once its discontinued or if something not
mass-produced is wanted.

"Jazztptman" <jazzt...@aol.comno.spam> wrote in message

LEDMRVM

Jun 11, 2003, 11:26:28 PM6/11/03
> or is it back to
>Ilfochrome and the P-30 kits?

Going from R3000 to Ilfochrome is not back, it is forward.

Ed

Gregory W. Blank

Jun 11, 2003, 11:36:59 PM6/11/03
In article <20030611211708...@mb-m29.aol.com>, theyanke...@aol.com (TheYankeeSnapper) wrote:
> I didn't find this response very helpful, but others have responded with more
> useful information:

Well that surely is too bad, i did not mean to hurt your feelings.

> 1. Kodak has also discontinued it's Radiance paper.
> 2. The only supplier of R-3000 type chemicals appears to be Freestyle in L.A.

Radiance has been on the way out for over two years , IMHOP its about time,
the stuff has always been crap. Not to mention the chemistry,.... Kodak chemistry
is deplorable in its keeping ability. Over several years of doing R3000 prints I found the chemistry to be
the shortest lived stuff on the market, and subject to crystalization whereby the developer cannot be used.
I got tired of having Calumet send me replacement chemicals because the replacement sucked as bad as the
first. Not to mention the paper itself which has the worse tonal scale of any ( rather short as in too much contrast)
, repeat any color process on the market coupled with very expensive price, I am glad to see this produce vanish.....
here's a clue (use P30 better color & and for the time being Ilford is committed to continuing it).

> Freestyle # 1183000 Arista Reversal 2 ltr. kit @ $26.99
> 3. in checking Fuji's web site they still have their Reversal 35, & SG listed.
> But for how long, who knows? Fuji chemicals do not cater to the small home
> darkrooms.

Like I stated if you want something buy it and learn to make it work.....even if that
means repackaging it, or freezing it to get it to work for you over the long term. 100 years ago photographers
were somewhat skilled in improvisation , what has changed?

Gregory W. Blank

Jun 11, 2003, 11:48:40 PM6/11/03

Amen! Cibas are beautiful art.

Jim Hein

Jun 12, 2003, 2:14:03 PM6/12/03
Greg: I to had the same problem. I have a LOT of Fuji Type-R and no
chemistry. Anyway you can still get R-3000 chemistry in one gallon kits
from UniColor. The product is called 3 step. If you say R-3000 or R-3 the
kind lady will have no clue what you are talking about. Call them at
1-800-521-4042. www.photosys.com is their website but you will find one
small mention on the chemistry. I bought 2 gallons for about
$100+shipping.

good luck
Jim