Kittens as snake food: Illegal?

Sean Casey

Dec 22, 1993, 7:29:07 PM12/22/93
I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
contract?

(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
ethics groups. This is a serious post.)

Sean

--
``Wind, waves, etc. are breakdowns in the face of the commitment to
getting from here to there. But they are conditions for sailing -- not

Antti Boman

Dec 23, 1993, 5:11:16 AM12/23/93
c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:

>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>contract?

Cannot answer to this, 'cos I live in Finland... Not illegal here, I
think. Or, then feeding any mammal/rodent is illegal.

>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)

Why sick?! If feeding a snake with a cat is sick, then feedin a
snake with a mouse is equally sick. If you started asking about feeding
infants, that might be called sick.
I'm always serious on r.p.h.

>Sean

Mark Crafts

Dec 23, 1993, 7:53:34 AM12/23/93
In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:
>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>contract?
>
>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)
>
>Sean

There was a story several years ago that got a lot of media attention in
Virginia. Seems that a teenager was taking people up on their "free to
good home" kitten ads and feeding them to his burmese. Well, someone got
wind of what he was doing and blew the whistle. There was nothing anyone
could do to stop him however, since it seems that it's not illegal.
The situation was resolved when a local rabbit breeder offered to sell him
rabbits cheap if he would stop feeding the snake kittens.

On a related note, a friend of mine fed his burmese stillborn kittens
from his girlfriend's cat (yes, with his girlfriend's permission)

Mark

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Mark Crafts :: mcr...@dale.ksc.nasa.gov

Jazmyn Concolor

Dec 23, 1993, 12:50:27 PM12/23/93
In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:
>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>contract?

Not if you tell the person giving away the kittens that you want them for
snake food. Its really not much differant then the people who just take
the kittens to the pound and have them put to sleep. Snakes gotta eat too
and meat is meat. Regardless if its from a rabbit or a cat. One would be
best to knock the animal out before the snake eats it, just to keep it from
scratching/injuring the snake. Snakes in the wild eat anything they can
catch, but some get badly injured when going after some prey, like large
preditors or even a rabbit/cavy that gets a good bite or kick in. Rats can
even bite a snake badly enough to cause infection.

>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)
>
>Sean

As I said..Snakes gotta eat too. This isn't sick, its a fact of life. If
people can't handle it, they should not be reading this. (If thine TV offends
thee, change the channel.) :)

Paul J Hollander

Dec 23, 1993, 3:01:19 PM12/23/93
In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:
>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>contract?

I don't know about legalities, but this sounds at least unethical to
me. I'd rather be up front about what I do with an animal.

OTOH, I have fed kittens to snakes. They have been my own cat's kittens or
once from a farm down the road where the mother was killed by a car. In that
case the owner offered them to me as snake food. In all cases the kittens
were <1 month old and were killed as humanely as I knew how (cervical
dislocation).

IMHO, feeding kittens is more trouble than it is worth. Mine were fed to
Burmese pythons. Anyone who's had a Burmese knows what an aggressive and
enthusiastic feeding response they have. Only once did any of my three take
a kitten knowingly. Usually they were given a rat, and the kitten's head was
slipped in as the rat's hindquarters were swallowed. And one would never
swallow a kitten under any circumstances. (You could see the puzzlement on
his face as he wondered how a rat could turn into a cat. Then he'd spit it
out.) The snakes just didn't seem to care much for the taste, so I stopped
feeding kittens to them.

Paul Hollander phol...@iastate.edu
Behold the tortoise: he makes no progress unless he sticks his neck out.

Sandie Fee

Dec 23, 1993, 2:29:32 PM12/23/93
In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:
>From: c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey)
>Subject: Kittens as snake food: Illegal?
>Date: 23 Dec 93 00:29:07 GMT

>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>contract?

>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)

>Sean

I don't post often but you are indeed a sick individual if you would use
kittens as snake food. Find something else to feed your snake.....and don't
lie to people giving away kittens hoping to find them good homes.

* Sandie Fee * Four grey walls and four grey towers, *
* NCR E&M Atlanta, Ga. * Overlook a space of flowers, *
* (404)623-7508 * And the silent isle embowers *
* sf...@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM * The Lady of Shalot. *

Barbara White

Dec 23, 1993, 4:53:20 PM12/23/93
In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:
>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>contract?

I see it as being no more cruel than feeding a snake live
crickets/mice/rats (or whatever live things people feed to
snakes).

I would, however, completely understand another person's
opposition to this practice, particularly with kittens, and I
think you should too if you want to do it responsibly. I do
think that the common assumption in such give-aways is that
they will go to a "good home" where good is meant in the
traditional kitten-grows-up-to-cat sort of environment. In
light of this my advice would be to be completely up front
with the person who is giving the kittens away ... I think
you'd be wrong not to tell them your intentions.

I don't know about legality, I just know about right and
wrong and the issue is not about whether it's right or wrong
to feed kittens to snakes; it's about whether you owe the
owners an explanation. I think you do.

Good luck.
Barbara
Barbara White Carnegie Mellon University
Writer/Editor b...@sei.cmu.edu

Varanus salvadorii

Dec 23, 1993, 7:25:29 PM12/23/93

>I don't post often but you are indeed a sick individual if you would use
>kittens as snake food. Find something else to feed your snake.....and don't
>lie to people giving away kittens hoping to find them good homes.

REALITY CHECK!

IF CAT OWNERS WOULD HAVE THEIR CATS FIXED, THERE WOULDN'T BE SUCH AN EXCESS
NUMBER OF "KITTENS - FREE TO A GOOD HOME" AVAILABLE!

I don't feed kittens to my snakes, but I will not condemn anyone who does.
I feel that snake food is a better alternative to dying of exposure, drowning,
gassing, or leathal injection and then having the meat go to waste. Call me
cruel, call me insensitive, but that's the way it is.

Quit being such a pansy.

And don't try to tell me that cats are higher animals and shouldn't be eaten.
That didn't mean anything to Jeffry Dalmer, and it won't hold water with me.
Pigs are much smarter than cats, and I ate pork chops for dinner last night.

-=- seedman

Charles L. Spirrison

Dec 23, 1993, 11:06:03 PM12/23/93
Sandi...@AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Sandie Fee) writes:

>>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>>contract?

>>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)

>>Sean

>I don't post often but you are indeed a sick individual if you would use
>kittens as snake food. Find something else to feed your snake.....and don't
>lie to people giving away kittens hoping to find them good homes.

I refuse to diagnose "sickness," but this idea holds the potential
for a serious public relations nightmare for the rest of us
herp-ers. At the *very least*, using deception to obtain free
snake food is exceedingly poor form. I gotta believe that even
if it were not illegal, a case such as this would get more media
attention than you'd ever want. I think it was Andy Warhol who
said that everyone is famous for a few moments. Are you sure
this is the moment you want?

cls

rab...@carson.u.washington.edu

Dec 24, 1993, 3:16:08 AM12/24/93
>>Subject: Kittens as snake food: Illegal?
>
>>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)
>
>>Sean
>
>I don't post often but you are indeed a sick individual if you would use
>kittens as snake food. Find something else to feed your snake.....and don't
>lie to people giving away kittens hoping to find them good homes.

Sandie-
Tell, me, what is the difference in animal life between a mouse and a
cat- people keep them both as pets. Better yet, I raise rabbits, along
with my snakes, and sell them by the dozen. I know that some go as pets,
and they make wonderful pets, and some go as snake food, where they are
well utilized, and others still go as human food, including those that I
eat. A snake must eat meat- simple fact that it is- and it doesn't
really care what the source is, so long as it can swallow it. Snake
keepers, to care for that animal properly, must find good sources of that
meat, in an inexpensive manner. The utilizing of kittens as snake food
is not illegal, it is far more benificial to society than dumping them at
an animal shelter (where they are so often "put down"- then go off to a
rendering plant and get incorporated into animal feed, anyways. Yes,
really, that is what happens. Go check on it yourself). Whereas society
is the one placing stigmas on one thing or another, an animal still views
another animal as just that and does not care for what society says.

The day that my snakes voluntarily eat celery instead of mice will be
the day that I feel otherwise. As was said in the original post, please
keep flames to alt.ethics and recognize the focus of this newsgroups.

Rabbits.

Stacey Nutting

Dec 22, 1993, 6:44:09 PM12/22/93
In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:

> I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
> solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
> this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
> someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
> contract?
>
> (And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
> ethics groups. This is a serious post.)
>
> Sean

I'm sorry, but I can't let this one go. Anyone who could feed a snake
kittens or rabbits for dinner should be charged with cruelty to
animals. Maybe I would feel differently if I weren't a cat person, I
just don't know. This is about as cruel and barbaric as it gets.
Serious or not, it *is* sick!

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "You've got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town."

Jazmyn Concolor

Dec 24, 1993, 12:00:07 PM12/24/93
In article <931222...@cleo.ftp.com> s...@ftp.com writes:
>In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:
>
> > I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
> > solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
> > this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
> > someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
> > contract?
> >
> > (And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
> > ethics groups. This is a serious post.)
> >
> > Sean
> >
>I'm sorry, but I can't let this one go. Anyone who could feed a snake
>kittens or rabbits for dinner should be charged with cruelty to
>animals. Maybe I would feel differently if I weren't a cat person, I
>just don't know. This is about as cruel and barbaric as it gets.
>Serious or not, it *is* sick!

And I suppose the snake should just go down to the store and buy a
pound of hamburger from one of those 'ugly' cows? What the hell do you
think snakes eat in the wild?

Sheesh..Flatlander...

Igor Livshits

Dec 24, 1993, 3:05:14 PM12/24/93
In article <cls4.75...@Ra.MsState.Edu> Charles L. Spirrison,

cl...@Ra.MsState.Edu writes:
>I refuse to diagnose "sickness," but this idea holds the potential
>for a serious public relations nightmare for the rest of us
>herp-ers. At the *very least*, using deception to obtain free
>snake food is exceedingly poor form.

Yes, I agree: Deception is not the way. Although, I'd very much rather that
the local Humane Society give me kittens to feed rather than inject them with
chemicals and "dispose" of them. Heck, I'd even pay them for these kittens.

BTW, there are plenty of people who keep mice and rats as pets.

Cheers, Igor
_____
from home, e: ig...@uiuc.edu, w: (217) 244-0424

John Lacelle

Dec 24, 1993, 4:41:18 PM12/24/93
(Sean Casey) wrote:

> I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
> solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
> this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
> someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
> contract?
>
> (And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
> ethics groups. This is a serious post.)

I don't know about you but don't you think there are morality questions
involved in anything posted to the net? Don't ask me why but this post
did give me the willies...

I'm sorry but I think you do make some kind of moral commitment when you
accept a kitten in front of a store from some kid whose parents were to
ignorant to fix their cats...if you explain what your intentions would
be regarding the kitten...I think you are free and clear. There is
enough suffering in this world already...lets not make it any worse.

Peace,

-John

> Sean
>
> --
> ``Wind, waves, etc. are breakdowns in the face of the commitment to
> getting from here to there. But they are conditions for sailing -- not
> something to be gotten rid of, but something to be danced with.''

--

John "lifeforce" Lacelle lac...@lifesci.ucsb.edu
I SPEAK ONLY FOR MYSELF SO PUIE!

Emily Carolyn Rocke

Dec 24, 1993, 4:04:16 PM12/24/93

Sean Casey <c...@pilot.njin.net> wrote:
>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>contract?
>
>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)
>
>Sean

I have no problems with feeding kittens to snakes -- that's life. I'd
really be bitter, though, if someone swore they would give a kitten a
good home and then killed it half an hour later. I'm sure that kind
of deception is completely unnecessary as well as unkind -- there's
enough kittens that are just completely unwanted, whose owners just
put them to sleep and don't even make the effort to find a good home.
Couldn't you cut some kind of deal with the local pound where you come
in and pick over the small animals that are about to be put to sleep?
I'd think that would be less effort for you, less waste of killing
that is already going on, and doesn't require you to lie to the kid
who's genuinely fond of the new kittens and whose parents are making
him give them up. No, to answer your question, it's nothing they
could put you in jail for, but it's just uncool.

Emily

amy lynn young-leith

Dec 25, 1993, 9:40:32 PM12/25/93
In article <931222...@cleo.ftp.com>, Stacey Nutting <s...@ftp.com> wrote:
>I'm sorry, but I can't let this one go. Anyone who could feed a snake
>kittens or rabbits for dinner should be charged with cruelty to
>animals. Maybe I would feel differently if I weren't a cat person, I
>just don't know. This is about as cruel and barbaric as it gets.
>Serious or not, it *is* sick!

And I can't let this one go, either.

I personally love animals and could never care for an animal that
required live food, hence I don't keep them. HOWEVER, a snake has to
eat. Apparently you don't care if the meal is a mouse or rat. Why?
Because they aren't quite so cute? How hypocritical.

Do you eat meat? I should hope not or score another point for being
hypocritical. Does your cats, which I'll assume you have since you say
you are a cat person, eat food which contains meat? I would hope they
do because it is what a cat needs to be healthy, however please notice
that you are being really rediculous.

amy

--
aly...@kiwi.ucs.indiana.edu Occupation: Lifetime Student
*This post was made on personal time and has nothing to do whatsoever with *

Mason Bliss

Dec 26, 1993, 12:00:44 PM12/26/93
In <seedman....@vincent2.iastate.edu> see...@iastate.edu (Varanus salvadorii) writes:

>I don't feed kittens to my snakes, but I will not condemn anyone who does.

I would. Also, I'd be tempted to report anyone who did it to the SPCA.

>I feel that snake food is a better alternative to dying of exposure, drowning,
>gassing, or leathal injection and then having the meat go to waste.

Considering how snakes kill their food, I'd rather have a kitten die in ANY
of the ways you've just mentioned.

>Call me cruel, call me insensitive, but that's the way it is.

How about "sick bastard"?

>And don't try to tell me that cats are higher animals and shouldn't be eaten.
>That didn't mean anything to Jeffry Dalmer, and it won't hold water with me.

There's good reasoning in action.

So, are you being serious, or are you simply sparking off a flame war for your
own amusement?
--
| Mason L. Bliss | What diabolical chicken stepped on your |
| ma...@cis.umassd.edu | forehead and sat on your chin? |

Mason Bliss

Dec 26, 1993, 12:20:20 PM12/26/93
This whole thread kind of reminds me of the Animal Rights echo over on Fidonet,
where there are more hunting-rights advocates than anything else. It's realy
kind of disappointing.

The idea of feeding a kitten to a snake is disgusting. And before you jump into
a bunch of pointless blathering about mice and rats: that is also disgusting.
Feeding ANY live animal to another animal is disgusting.

steven.j.fenster

Dec 26, 1993, 1:26:37 PM12/26/93
In article <CInK5...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
>Feeding ANY live animal to another animal is disgusting.

[and other stuff, deleted]

I see. So animals such as snakes should not exist because they are disgusting.
So are almost any carnivore that eats live, or freshly killed prey, right? As
an owner of some animals (3 chinchillas, a guinea pig & a rabbit), that are
considered cat or snake food by some, I find this kind of attitude very myopic.

In the wild, many of these animals ARE eaten by snakes and other carnivores. If
housecats were wild in places with large snakes, they'd be eaten too. That's
how nature works. I wouldn't feed my pets to a snake (if I had one), but a
snake has to eat, and it won't eat tofu.

Maybe you're one of those misguided soles that tries to make their cat into a
vegetarian. Sorry, they've evolved to be carnivores. If you want a vegetarian
pet, buy a guinea pig. Cut your moralistic, bombastic blathering about how
wrong it is for animals to eat live food. If you don't like feeding cats to
snakes, fine. I don't either, and wouldn't, that's my personal preference.
Others would and that's theirs.

Someone, in a recent article (possibly the same author), said they would call
the ASPCA on someone feeding kittens to a snake. Are you going to call the
ASPCA on someone feeding mice to a snake? Or goldfish to a pirhana? Or grubs to
a lizard? And most importantly, would you call the ASPCA on someone that
refuses to feed live food to a snake and has the snake die because of it?

Excuse the ranting, but I get offended by "holier than thou" types that want to
impose their views and peculiar morals on others. Do your own thing, but don't
expect me to have to do it too. To paraphrase a famous statement: I may
completely disagree with your views, but I will defend your right to state
them. Just don't attempt to coerce me to follow them.

Steve

sfen...@att.com

Mason Bliss

Dec 26, 1993, 3:20:35 PM12/26/93

>>Feeding ANY live animal to another animal is disgusting.

>I see. So animals such as snakes should not exist because they are disgusting.

Read what I wrote before you flame. I said "Feeding ANY live animal to
another animal is disgusting." This would normally imply that the act of
feeding live prey to something is disgusting, NOT that the animal that eats
the live prey is disgusting.

>So are almost any carnivore that eats live, or freshly killed prey, right?

Nope. That's still different. There's a bit of a difference between something
that kills its prey, and something that devours it while it's still living.

>As an owner of some animals (3 chinchillas, a guinea pig & a rabbit), that are
>considered cat or snake food by some, I find this kind of attitude very myopic

How does your owning three chinchillas, a guinea pig, and a rabbit make my
opinion myopic?

>Maybe you're one of those misguided soles that tries to make their cat into a
>vegetarian.

Um, no... I'm sorry if I somehow implied that I'm trying to make my cat into
a vegitarian.

>Sorry, they've evolved to be carnivores.

As I remember, cats don't eat their prey live.

>If you want a vegetarian pet, buy a guinea pig.

I keep two. And a parakeet, who ALSO doesn't eat his prey live.

>Cut your moralistic, bombastic blathering

[...]

Why? Am I no longer allowed to have an opinion?

>Someone, in a recent article (possibly the same author), said they would call
>the ASPCA on someone feeding kittens to a snake.

That would be me.

[...]

>ASPCA on someone feeding mice to a snake? Or goldfish to a pirhana? Or grubs
>to a lizard?

That's reaching a bit far, isn't it?

>And most importantly, would you call the ASPCA on someone that
>refuses to feed live food to a snake and has the snake die because of it?

I don't think I would... But, I don't foresee this happening somewhere where
I'd see it any time soon.

>Excuse the ranting, but I get offended by "holier than thou" types that want
>to impose their views and peculiar morals on others.

Suffer through it, or change the first amendment.

>Do your own thing, but don't expect me to have to do it too.

Did I say that I expected anyone to change their misguided beliefs as a
result of my posting to a low-volume UseNet group? I don't remember doing
so...

Mike Herman

Dec 26, 1993, 3:31:58 PM12/26/93

:
: >I don't feed kittens to my snakes, but I will not condemn anyone who does.
:
: I would. Also, I'd be tempted to report anyone who did it to the SPCA.
:

what can they do?
snakes are (at least in some citys) completely legal as pets.
I mean the sell rats and rabbits and G pigs, and hamsters as
SNAKE FOOD here, its pretty obvious that a store with 100 snakes
and 10 rabbits is selling them for. I mean those stores operate
in the open, have permits, get inspected so I *assume* its
legal. Unless there is some
sort of law agaisnt feeding your pet what it can eat, I doubt
that the can do anything.

: >I feel that snake food is a better alternative to dying of exposure, drowning,

: >gassing, or leathal injection and then having the meat go to waste.
:
: Considering how snakes kill their food, I'd rather have a kitten die in ANY
: of the ways you've just mentioned.

:

I have a snake and have observed it kill (NOT kittens)
it seems pretty quick for the most part, after all if it
takes too long the prey can fight back.
(I am not a biolgest so do not take this as serious)
of course the owner can kill the animal via various means, some
the same as the humane society if they wish.

: >Call me cruel, call me insensitive, but that's the way it is.

:
: How about "sick bastard"?

:
have you ever kept or handled a nice tame snake?
or are you one of those poeple with a phobia and have never
gotten within 10 feet of one?
:
: So, are you being serious, or are you simply sparking off a flame war for your
: own amusement?

he is serious.
I live in rural texas, and I would not mind free kittens.
and I would have no trouble getting them, and I doubt its
illegal, after all there are not even leash laws here.
Or spaying laws.

HOWEVER since my snakes are too small for them, It is out of
the question.

The important thing is not to lie, tell the dude why you want them.
I am not saying its a good idea to do this, but I see no reason why
people should jump on us reptile owners for feeding our animals.
After all if they didnt have canned dog and cat food, you would need too
feed them, guess what, probably live mice, rats, or sheep or.......

Invent some sort of canned snake food, that will solve the problem

: --

: | Mason L. Bliss | What diabolical chicken stepped on your |
: | ma...@cis.umassd.edu | forehead and sat on your chin? |

--
JC
mi...@wixer.bga.com

Rich Young

Dec 26, 1993, 3:09:20 PM12/26/93
In article <Sandie.Fee....@AtlantaGA.NCR.COM> Sandi...@AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Sandie Fee) writes:
>In article <Dec.22.19.29...@pilot.njin.net> c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey) writes:
>>From: c...@pilot.njin.net (Sean Casey)
>>Subject: Kittens as snake food: Illegal?
>>Date: 23 Dec 93 00:29:07 GMT
>
>>I know of someone who's done this, and it sounds like a good idea,
>>solving two problems at once. Do you know of any legal barriers to
>>this? I know that using rabbits is legal at least. Would deceiving
>>someone giving away free kittens be illegal? Does that constitute a
>>contract?
>
>>(And please, no "this is sick" stuff. Move morality posts to the
>>ethics groups. This is a serious post.)
>
>>Sean
>
>I don't post often but you are indeed a sick individual if you would use
>kittens as snake food. Find something else to feed your snake.....and don't
>lie to people giving away kittens hoping to find them good homes.

Couldn't stand it, could you? He specifically ASKED for no "this is
sick" stuff.

The reality is that, if one is to keep carnivorous animals, those
animals must be fed, and a kitten is as good a meal as any. HOWEVER,
it does seem that a contract has been made with the giver of the
free kittens, and that such a deceit would constitute breach of
contract. A verbal contract is as binding as a written one...look
at what happened to Kim Basinger when she tried to get out of a
verbal contract to star in a movie: it cost her something like
eight million dollars.

Anyway, it's probably technically illegal to mislead the kitten
donor in such a way, and it certainly seems unethical.

-Rich Young

(The views expressed herein do not reflect those of Eastman Kodak Company Inc.)

steven.j.fenster

Dec 26, 1993, 6:21:35 PM12/26/93
In article <CInsI...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
> [...] I said "Feeding ANY live animal to

>another animal is disgusting." This would normally imply that the act of
>feeding live prey to something is disgusting, NOT that the animal that eats
>the live prey is disgusting.

So no one should feed snakes that only eat live prey? Judging from some of your
other statements, snakes eating live prey on their own is not palatable to you
either. It seems fine with you to have a predator rip a prey's neck or abdomen
open to kill it before eating it, but not to eat it live. Not much difference
there really. A few minutes perhaps.

If someone fed a dead kitten to a snake, would that be acceptable to you? If
not, is it acceptable to feed (non-live) animal products to cats and many other
animals?

>How does your owning three chinchillas, a guinea pig, and a rabbit make my
>opinion myopic?

As someone who has animals used as snake food by others, I can accept this, as
long as pets aren't used. You, on the other hand, as an apparent cat lover,
have a problem with feeding them to snakes, even if they're not pets. I feel
that you're being myopic because you're not looking past emotional attachments
and other perceptions.

>>And most importantly, would you call the ASPCA on someone that
>>refuses to feed live food to a snake and has the snake die because of it?
>
>I don't think I would... But, I don't foresee this happening somewhere where
>I'd see it any time soon.

So you would call the ASPCA on someone feeding an unwanted cat that might be
otherwise be euthanised or die from neglect to a snake (do you expect to see
THIS soon?), but it would not bother you to let a snake die from neglect?
Perhaps you're being a hypocrite.

I'm curious as to what the ASPCA's position on this is anyway.

Steve

Mike Herman

Dec 27, 1993, 11:56:39 AM12/27/93

: In <CInn8...@cbfsb.cb.att.com> sfen...@cbnewsf.cb.att.com (steven.j.fenster) writes:
:
: >>Feeding ANY live animal to another animal is disgusting.
:
: >I see. So animals such as snakes should not exist because they are disgusting.
:
: Read what I wrote before you flame. I said "Feeding ANY live animal to
: another animal is disgusting." This would normally imply that the act of
: feeding live prey to something is disgusting, NOT that the animal that eats
: the live prey is disgusting.
:
: >So are almost any carnivore that eats live, or freshly killed prey, right?
:
: Nope. That's still different. There's a bit of a difference between something
: that kills its prey, and something that devours it while it's still living.

excuse me?
my snakes do not eat it while it is still living, they kill it well
and good. Granted some snakes might be in a hurry, but I am do not
quite understand where you got this idea.

:
:
: As I remember, cats don't eat their prey live.

how much do you want too bet?
they may not eat it live, but cats just LOVE to play with
certain animals and... well I will not go into the gross details
suffice to say that they sometimes leave a still twitching
present for you at times.
but they sure as hell are not the must humane creatures on earth.

: >And most importantly, would you call the ASPCA on someone that

: >refuses to feed live food to a snake and has the snake die because of it?
:
: I don't think I would... But, I don't foresee this happening somewhere where
: I'd see it any time soon.

I have heard of more than a few instances where snakes were underfed
It is nothing more than abuse if you ask me, of course I have yet
to hear of someone getting busted for that.
Florida has a problem with this, people let thier snakes go cause they
cant take care of them, and they can live in fla.

:

Karen M. Bourque

Dec 27, 1993, 4:28:22 PM12/27/93
Animals are animals.
Trying to change them to satisfy our own morals and beliefs on how they
should act is a travesty. We should know by now that when we mess with
the natural balance we inevitably screw it up, in some cases beyond repair.

Snakes in the wild eat animals. Dogs, cats, birds - they all eat other
animals. Just because they happen to be living in your house doesn't mean
they shouldn't be allowed to do what comes naturally to them and follow
their instincts!! What would happen to the rodent or insect or even wild
rabbit population if all their natural carnivore predators were not
allowed to eat them?? Heck, how about deer?? Famine city! That's much
more cruel than a quick (or pretty quick) death...

I am an animal lover - I have a dog, a cat, a rabbit, a frog and a variety
of fish - all are wonderful animals. I am also a pseudo-vegetarian. BUT
I believe that if you are truly an animal lover, you'll let the animals BE
what they were meant to be. (Dogs are slightly different since we've
domesticated them so much).

I don't like picturing a snake eating a kitten - so I won't picture it
anymore. I think that we have to intervene when we see humans abusing
animals, wild or tame, not when we see animals doing their thing with
other animals.

I've said my piece - don't bother flaming me, I'm going on vacation and
all this will be history by the time I get back.

Karen

amy lynn young-leith

Dec 27, 1993, 7:08:39 PM12/27/93

But it happens in the wild all the time. And the only reason we don't
do it, or something close to it, is because most of us don't have the room to
keep cattle, but rather we visit Kroger now and then.

If a person takes in an animal as a pet who requires live animals in
order to be healthy, then the owner takes the responsability of
providing that. I have known a few snake owners who were animal
lovers in general, but many snakes apparently WON'T eat dead animals.
And most aren't real keen on veggies, either. There isn't much
choice.

amy lynn young-leith

Dec 27, 1993, 7:17:53 PM12/27/93
In article <CInsI...@umassd.edu>, Mason Bliss <ma...@cis.umassd.edu> wrote:
>Read what I wrote before you flame. I said "Feeding ANY live animal to
>another animal is disgusting." This would normally imply that the act of
>feeding live prey to something is disgusting, NOT that the animal that eats
>the live prey is disgusting.

Ok folks, keep this tidbit above in mind for future reference...

>Nope. That's still different. There's a bit of a difference between something
>that kills its prey, and something that devours it while it's still living.

I've seen my cat (rest her soul) eat a mouse that was still alive.
Her eating it killed it, but she started to eat it while it was alive.
Her method of digesting the animal killed it, just as a snake's method
will as well.

>As I remember, cats don't eat their prey live.

See above. This is because cats tend to rip and tear their prey,
which in the process kills them. Snakes instead swallow it whole.

>I keep two. And a parakeet, who ALSO doesn't eat his prey live.

But damn they make the biggest mess out of their seeds! I actually
heard a good solution for this in the newspaper... wrap a strip of
cloth around the cage at the same level where the seed is kept. But I
disgress...

>Why? Am I no longer allowed to have an opinion?

Oh, you're allowed to have it, but it sounds really stupid when it's
hypcritical and otherwise full of logical holes.

>>ASPCA on someone feeding mice to a snake? Or goldfish to a pirhana? Or grubs
>>to a lizard?
>That's reaching a bit far, isn't it?

No, it's NOT! And it's because you clearly stated above that feeding
live prey to another animal is disgusting. All the above instances
are the same! You're only upset because apparently a goldfish does't
have as cute a face as a kitten does. My goldfish take offense at
that and if they ever get legs, you better watch it.

If you feel that kittens-snake is wrong then unless you care to do
some creative rationalizing then goldfish-pirhana, grubs-lizard and
mouse-snack should be equally odious.

Paul J Hollander

Dec 27, 1993, 7:48:07 PM12/27/93
In article <CInsI...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
>In <CInn8...@cbfsb.cb.att.com> sfen...@cbnewsf.cb.att.com (steven.j.fenster) writes:
>
>>>Feeding ANY live animal to another animal is disgusting.
>
>>I see. So animals such as snakes should not exist because they are disgusting.
>
>Read what I wrote before you flame. I said "Feeding ANY live animal to
>another animal is disgusting." This would normally imply that the act of
>feeding live prey to something is disgusting, NOT that the animal that eats
>the live prey is disgusting.
>
>>So are almost any carnivore that eats live, or freshly killed prey, right?
>
>Nope. That's still different. There's a bit of a difference between something
>that kills its prey, and something that devours it while it's still living.
>
> (Flames deleted)

The way I read this, the objection is to the snake or whatever eating a food
animal while it is still alive, swallowing it still kicking and screaming
(pardon the graphic imagery). It is ok if either the snake or human kills
the food animal *before* it is swallowed. As a long time snake owner, I can
live with this attitude.

Brad Laraway

Dec 28, 1993, 10:25:36 AM12/28/93
I don't know why I'm posting to this but every one else has
so here's my two cents.

I think feeding a snake or large lizard/monitors live
kittens is pretty bad. I'm also going to be quite hippocratic
and say I don't see any reason they shouldn't feed them rats,
mice and rabbits. My reasoning for this is people raise mice
rats, rabbits and such for feed. I know of no one who raises
cats, dogs, or other house pets for feed animals. Yes I know
there are alot of rabbit owners here, but feed rabbits and
pet rabbits to me are different.

Some one said about snakes are the only animal that eats
its pray alive. Look at that freshly opened oyster and tell me
what you see. It sure in hell aint dead, if it were you'ld know
it and so would the whole resturant. PEE UUU what is that smell.
Also alot of snakes either pioson or constrict thier pray before
dining.

If any one want's to flame me I could careless but flame
me at my email address I think the 20-30 flames and follow ups
are enough. But there I am being a hippocrat again. :0 :)

Hope you all have a safe New Year.
Brad
blar...@encore.com

Emil Volcheck

Dec 28, 1993, 3:07:11 PM12/28/93
In article <CIr46...@encore.com> blar...@encore.com (Brad Laraway) writes:
> I think feeding a snake or large lizard/monitors live
>kittens is pretty bad. I'm also going to be quite hippocratic
>and say I don't see any reason they shouldn't feed them rats,
>mice and rabbits. My reasoning for this is people raise mice
>rats, rabbits and such for feed. I know of no one who raises
>cats, dogs, or other house pets for feed animals. Yes I know
>there are alot of rabbit owners here, but feed rabbits and
>pet rabbits to me are different.
>
> Brad
> blar...@encore.com

Sorry Brad. I know it would ease your conscience but there really is no
difference between "feed" rabbits and "pet" rabbits except for an arbitrary
label put on them by people. I've known lots of rabbits and the ones that
belong to a breed traditionally used as meat (for people or snakes) have just
as much intelligence and personality as the "pet" breeds like mini-lop or
Netherland Dwarf. Yes, they are prey animals but at least in the wild they
have the chance to get away. I think I'll put in a plug for rats too. In my
experience they are just as intelligent as a dog and make very affectionate
pets. You shouldn't judge an animals worth by some arbitrary label put on them.

Nessa

Dec 28, 1993, 4:36:55 PM12/28/93
blar...@encore.com (Brad Laraway) writes:

>mice and rabbits. My reasoning for this is people raise mice
>rats, rabbits and such for feed. I know of no one who raises
>cats, dogs, or other house pets for feed animals. Yes I know
>there are alot of rabbit owners here, but feed rabbits and
>pet rabbits to me are different.

But you can be sure that the cats that were being discussed were NOT
RAISED for PET purposes. They simply were allowed to happen by IDIOT
owners who couldn't be bothered to spay their animals and don't want
to live with the results themselves.

So would you try to make the same arguement that ferrets and rats that
are used in labs are different than those used as pets? Guess what?
You would be wrong! Marshall Farms is one of the largest lab suppliers
of ferrets and the only difference between lab and pet ferrets is
the lab ferrets get sent to labs and the pet ferrets get sent to pets. ;)

The distinction you are drawing ONLY EXISTS IN YOUR MIND!

> Some one said about snakes are the only animal that eats
>its pray alive. Look at that freshly opened oyster and tell me
>what you see. It sure in hell aint dead, if it were you'ld know
>it and so would the whole resturant. PEE UUU what is that smell.

Alot of people who squirt oysters with lemon before eating them do so
only because lemon is an irritant and causes the oyster to twich.
The acid effect of the lemon is painful but it lets them (the people)
see that the oyster is alive and kicking. I guess I would like it better
if the oysters SCREAMED while they were being squirted and sliding down
peoples gullets. :) Heh, Heh. Can you imagine the looks on people's
faces if their food screamed in agony and fear? Heeee Heeee! :)
--
Brian & 'Nessa (watched over by) Priscilla & Herman (carpet sharks)
"Maybe it's a gift, a special talent that I, alone, possess!" --Wembley

Mike Herman

Dec 28, 1993, 8:06:52 PM12/28/93
Emil Volcheck (volc...@euphemia.math.ucla.edu) wrote:
:
rabbits are one of the rattlesnakes main prey
along with many other snakes.

: --

Operator Console #2

Dec 28, 1993, 10:51:07 PM12/28/93
In article 3...@umassd.edu, ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:

> Nope. That's still different. There's a bit of a difference between something
> that kills its prey, and something that devours it while it's still living.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I will confess to a limited knowledge base. However as a longtime snake
enthusiest, I feel compelled to point out that snakes prefer their food
quite dead. They may prefer to do the honors themselves, but the prey is
killed before it is consumed.

As far as feeding kittens to snakes, I've seen many a stray kitten/cat go
through hell and high water for lack of a home. If they can be spared the
suffering by being put down, what difference does it make how they go.
( inhumane methods notwithstanding ). I personally wouldn't do it for
the simple fact that kittens sound so pitiful when their dying.

( asbestos suit on ).

Kevin

BTW. No I didn't, it was hit by a car.

Mason Bliss

Dec 29, 1993, 11:35:52 AM12/29/93

>I have a snake and have observed it kill (NOT kittens)
>it seems pretty quick for the most part, after all if it
>takes too long the prey can fight back.

But the prey can't have the option of running, like they would out in the
real world...

>have you ever kept or handled a nice tame snake?
>or are you one of those poeple with a phobia and have never
>gotten within 10 feet of one?

I have friends with snakes, and I've handled them. I've had them wrapped
around my neck, so you can't really say I have a phobia of any sort. I
simply find the feeding of live prey to them to be disgusting.

>After all if they didnt have canned dog and cat food, you would need too
>feed them, guess what, probably live mice, rats, or sheep or.......

I certainly wouldn't give them live animals to eat.

>Invent some sort of canned snake food, that will solve the problem

Yes.

Mason Bliss

Dec 29, 1993, 11:42:10 AM12/29/93

>> [...] I said "Feeding ANY live animal to
>>another animal is disgusting." This would normally imply that the act of
>>feeding live prey to something is disgusting, NOT that the animal that eats
>>the live prey is disgusting.

>other statements, snakes eating live prey on their own is not palatable to you

Please re-read the text you quoted, above.

>Not much difference there really. A few minutes perhaps.

A few minuters is unacceptably long. Think about this: you're talking about
feeding a defenseless baby animal to a snake! Doesn't that somehow seem
slightly wrong to you?

>If someone fed a dead kitten to a snake, would that be acceptable to you?

While not something I'd want to watch, that would be far more acceptable to me.

>have a problem with feeding them to snakes, even if they're not pets. I feel
>that you're being myopic because you're not looking past emotional attachments
>and other perceptions.

Perhaps.

>THIS soon?), but it would not bother you to let a snake die from neglect?

I would bother me.

>Perhaps you're being a hypocrite.

Perhaps I'm not a big fan of snakes.

>I'm curious as to what the ASPCA's position on this is anyway.

Ditto.

Mason Bliss

Dec 29, 1993, 11:53:44 AM12/29/93
In <CIpzK...@news.iastate.edu> phol...@iastate.edu (Paul J Hollander) writes:

>The way I read this, the objection is to the snake or whatever eating a food
>animal while it is still alive, swallowing it still kicking and screaming
>(pardon the graphic imagery). It is ok if either the snake or human kills
>the food animal *before* it is swallowed. As a long time snake owner, I can
>live with this attitude.

That's exactly it. I can't see how an animal CAN'T suffer when a snake eats
it live. Its last moments of life would be filled with fear and pain. I don't
care HOW quick it happens - it still happens that way.

Mason Bliss

Dec 29, 1993, 11:48:22 AM12/29/93
In <2fnk1m$g...@slab.mtholyoke.edu> kbou...@mtholyoke.edu (Karen M. Bourque) writes:

>Trying to change them to satisfy our own morals and beliefs on how they
>should act is a travesty.

The main argument here (IMO) is that it's wrong to feed living animals
to each other. Do you go out and get mice for your cat to play with and then
kill? No. (Well, hopefully not, anyway.)

>Snakes in the wild eat animals. Dogs, cats, birds - they all eat other
>animals.

The difference here is that dogs, cats, and birds aren't given live prey
to eat. Other solutions have been found.

?

>I've said my piece - don't bother flaming me, I'm going on vacation and
>all this will be history by the time I get back.

Susan M. Kennedy

Dec 29, 1993, 12:07:55 PM12/29/93
mi...@wixer.bga.com (Mike Herman) writes:

>: >I feel that snake food is a better alternative to dying of exposure, drowning,
>: >gassing, or leathal injection and then having the meat go to waste.
>:
>: Considering how snakes kill their food, I'd rather have a kitten die in ANY
>: of the ways you've just mentioned.
>:

>I have a snake and have observed it kill (NOT kittens)
>it seems pretty quick for the most part, after all if it
>takes too long the prey can fight back.
>(I am not a biolgest so do not take this as serious)
>of course the owner can kill the animal via various means, some
>the same as the humane society if they wish.

I know this isn't the correct follow up sequence(I should have followed Mike
directly) But Mike, have you ever observed a cat kill its prey? Talk about long
drawn out torture! I have cats, dogs, rabbits, and turtles and I believe that if
you are going to have pets you should respect their natural behavior. I
probrably would not feel comfortable about feeding kittens to snakes, but I
would agree that its probably a better way to die than starving, or dying of the
many illnesses that unwanted and neglected cats and kittens suffer, or by being
tortured to death by a cat!

Susan

Sean Eric Fagan

Dec 29, 1993, 2:16:38 PM12/29/93
In article <CIt23...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
>simply find the feeding of live prey to them to be disgusting.

It's a part of life. (Not that I'd feed kittens to a snake; I will not
feed any animal that's been raised as a pet to any animal.)

>>Invent some sort of canned snake food, that will solve the problem
>Yes.

No, it won't, because many snakes (and other reptiles) simply WILL NOT EAT
pre-killed food. *Period*. I'm lucky: I've got my three snakes, my
monitor, and my tegu all eating prekilled animals. But it took time with
one of the snakes and with the tegu, and I did it mainly because it's
cheaper and easier for me to get frozen rats, mice, and pinks than it
is to keep live ones, or buy live ones every week or so.

But my leopard gecko will not eat pre-killed animals; she has to have live
food. This includes crickets and kingworms right now, but could also include
pinky mice from time to time.

I see no problem with it. The animals are carnivores, predators, and need
to eat other animals.

Again, though, I don't like the thought of feeding kittens to snakes. Mostly
because most kittens are pets, not food animals.

KUDZU

Dec 29, 1993, 4:13:17 PM12/29/93
I've seen a kitten (a very small one, maybe a runt from the owner's cat's
litter) fed to (I think) a python of some sort. It was a very big snake.

Anyway, we were both drunk and she said "Wanna see something cool?"...I, of
course, nodded. She got up, went upstairs, and later came down with the
cutest black ball of fur, which I discovered was a leeeeetle baby kitten.
Before I really realized what was going on, she pulled the sort of chicken-wire
cover off the snake's cage and dumped the kitten in. The cat tried to get out,
maybe sensing what was going to happen. Katie had to flick the snake a
couple times "to wake her up", and after some inspecting on the snake's part,
it struck and coiled around the kitty. I didn't really watch anymore and the
harsh high-pitched meowing (which stopped all too soon) was getting to me.
But, after some prompting from her ("You just GOTTA watch THIS!") I turned my
eyes back to the snake-pen just for the eating part. I have to admit, it WAS
kinda cool to watch, but as I watched the snake gobble that cat whole, I kept
hearing the Pringles commercial announcer "You can't eat JUST ONE!"

In retrospect, I can't see why anyone would find the natural act of feeding
anything but beautiful...

-Kudzu
--
##*##*##*##*##*##*##*##*## Satan is GOOD ##*##*##*##*##*##*##*##*##*##
#chr...@cie-2.uoregon.edu# Satan is OUR PAL # Per ardua ad astra #

Mason Bliss

Dec 29, 1993, 4:56:48 PM12/29/93

> I've seen a kitten (a very small one, maybe a runt from the owner's cat's
>litter) fed to (I think) a python of some sort. It was a very big snake.

> Anyway, we were both drunk and she said "Wanna see something cool?"...I, of
>course, nodded. She got up, went upstairs, and later came down with the
>cutest black ball of fur, which I discovered was a leeeeetle baby kitten.
>Before I really realized what was going on, she pulled the sort of chicken-wire
>cover off the snake's cage and dumped the kitten in. The cat tried to get out,
>maybe sensing what was going to happen. Katie had to flick the snake a
>couple times "to wake her up", and after some inspecting on the snake's part,
>it struck and coiled around the kitty. I didn't really watch anymore and the
>harsh high-pitched meowing (which stopped all too soon) was getting to me.
>But, after some prompting from her ("You just GOTTA watch THIS!") I turned my
>eyes back to the snake-pen just for the eating part. I have to admit, it WAS
>kinda cool to watch, but as I watched the snake gobble that cat whole, I kept
>hearing the Pringles commercial announcer "You can't eat JUST ONE!"

> In retrospect, I can't see why anyone would find the natural act of feeding
>anything but beautiful...

Gee, you're cool.

Well, folks, this pretty much sums it up for me.

KUDZU

Dec 29, 1993, 5:18:50 PM12/29/93
Mason Bliss (ma...@cis.umassd.edu) wrote:

: Gee, you're cool.

: Well, folks, this pretty much sums it up for me.

Seeing a snake eating a kitten didn't make me feel cool...Realizing that
there was nothing dirty or disgusting in animals eating each other did. I
remember someone saying that the whole problem of feeding snakes live animals
would be cured if they just sold snake food in a can. That flesh has to come
from somewhere, folks...Why have it processed into some nice solid chunk of
nutrition just because you can't stomache watching nature at work. I think I
speak for all the snakes out there...

Varanus salvadorii

Dec 29, 1993, 6:17:51 PM12/29/93
I guess I'm going to have to cross post, because I believe Mason to be from
rec.pets, not rec.pets.herp.

In <CIt23...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
>I certainly wouldn't give them live animals to eat.

Mason, Mason, Mason... we need to have a reality check here. Some
cats or dogs will eat vegetable matter, but they won't live a happy healthy
life on it. You do want your cat/dog to lead a happy, healthy life don't
you?

Well, face facts then. The animal matter, as some labels call it, in most
cat or dog food was once alive, and didn't die a humane death! For that
matter, the burger you ate at McDonald's last night was once a living,
breathing cow that had it's throat cut so you could pay $2 for a warm burger.
Visit a slaughter house sometime. It will change the way you think about
eating meat. If you are realistic about it, you'll think like me (Heaven
Forbid!) If you are a idealist, like you seem, you'll fight to change the
method of killing. The other two options are: you'll black out and forget
the whole incident, or you'll become a vegetarian animal rights activist and
set all your pets free where they will die from starvation.

Maybe you are a vegetarian. That's your choice to make for yourself. You can
make the choice for your pets too, but would that be moral? To force your
feelings on your pet, let alone the rest of us and our animal companions?

Think about it for a while, and get back to us.

-=- see...@iastate.edu

BTW... I do not now, nor will I in the forseeable future, feed cats to my
snakes. I just won't let people shove THEIR morality down MY throat
as I stand in back mouth open in disbelief.

Tailchaser

Dec 29, 1993, 7:34:00 PM12/29/93
chr...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (KUDZU) writes...

> Seeing a snake eating a kitten didn't make me feel cool...Realizing that
>there was nothing dirty or disgusting in animals eating each other did. I
>remember someone saying that the whole problem of feeding snakes live animals
>would be cured if they just sold snake food in a can. That flesh has to come
>from somewhere, folks...Why have it processed into some nice solid chunk of
>nutrition just because you can't stomache watching nature at work. I think I
>speak for all the snakes out there...

I haven't had much personal tastelessness with snakes. Even my brother's
rattler won't eat the mouse he put in the cage... damn thing's been there a
month and nests on the other side of the aquarium...

Jim Davis <jad...@tntech.edu>

MOV AH, 4C
INT 21

KUDZU

Dec 29, 1993, 7:40:13 PM12/29/93
Tailchaser (jad...@tntech.edu) wrote:

: I haven't had much personal tastelessness with snakes. Even my brother's

: rattler won't eat the mouse he put in the cage... damn thing's been there a
: month and nests on the other side of the aquarium...

I don't know much about snakes but I do know that they don't eat often...
I believe the snake I wrote about hadn't eaten for a couple weeks and Katie,
the owner said that it can go a month or more (?) without chow.

Geoff Miller

Dec 29, 1993, 10:00:00 PM12/29/93

In article <2ft81d$8...@pith.uoregon.edu> chr...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (KUDZU)
writes:

> I don't know much about snakes but [...]

Neither do I, but I know what I like.

Geoff

--
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Geoff Miller + + + + + + + + Mountain View

Jazmyn Concolor

Dec 29, 1993, 10:13:52 PM12/29/93
In article <CIt2x...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
>In <CIpzK...@news.iastate.edu> phol...@iastate.edu (Paul J Hollander) writes:
>
>>The way I read this, the objection is to the snake or whatever eating a food
>>animal while it is still alive, swallowing it still kicking and screaming
>>(pardon the graphic imagery). It is ok if either the snake or human kills
>>the food animal *before* it is swallowed. As a long time snake owner, I can
>>live with this attitude.
>
>That's exactly it. I can't see how an animal CAN'T suffer when a snake eats
>it live. Its last moments of life would be filled with fear and pain. I don't
>care HOW quick it happens - it still happens that way.

Snakes eat their prey head first, thus sufficating it quickly. Cats play
with their food till it dies from fear, shock or blood loss. Snakes seem
much more humane..

Jazmyn Concolor

Dec 29, 1993, 10:22:46 PM12/29/93
In article <CIt2o...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
>In <2fnk1m$g...@slab.mtholyoke.edu> kbou...@mtholyoke.edu (Karen M. Bourque) writes:
>
>>Trying to change them to satisfy our own morals and beliefs on how they
>>should act is a travesty.
>
>The main argument here (IMO) is that it's wrong to feed living animals
>to each other. Do you go out and get mice for your cat to play with and then
>kill? No. (Well, hopefully not, anyway.)
>
>>Snakes in the wild eat animals. Dogs, cats, birds - they all eat other
>>animals.
>
>The difference here is that dogs, cats, and birds aren't given live prey
>to eat. Other solutions have been found.

Funny..My parents cats eat rats, mice, gophers and small rabbits. But they
are 'barn' cats, not pampered house cats. The 'house cat' gets Science Diet
and wouldn't know what to do with a mouse if you stuck one in his mouth and
said 'lunchtime'..

michael moncur

Dec 29, 1993, 11:44:28 PM12/29/93
I think this debate has gotten way out of hand. Let's face it:

- There are people who believe that it's okay to feed "non-pet"
animals to another animal.

- There are also people who believe that it's NOT okay.

- Each person has his own definition of what's a "pet" and what's
a "non-pet".

- There are people who don't eat meat.

- There are people who do.

- There are people who think that everyone else should share
their moral viewpoint.

- There are people who are offended by that suggestion.

Seeing that people have far too many differing opinions to ever
reach a settlement, I've taken the liberty of interviewing several
"non-people".

My pet cat, Linda, 9 months, is offended by the thought but says
that it doesn't really bother her so long as she doesn't know the kittens.
I don't own a snake, but I was able to reach one on the phone; she
doesn't understand all the fuss and says "We're perfectly happy with
rats".
Perdita, Greta, and Elsie, my pet rats, are offended by the above
suggestion and more in favor of the kitten idea, with Linda as their
first suggestion.
My pet mouse refused to be awakened for comment.

Let's call the whole thing off.
--
~` michael moncur, BC, OEADM - m...@xmission.com - m...@world.std.com ~`
"Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken down."

robert gruen

Dec 30, 1993, 7:10:18 AM12/30/93
Mason L. Bliss writes:

> That's exactly it. I can't see how an animal CAN'T suffer when a snake eats
> it live. Its last moments of life would be filled with fear and pain. I don't
> care HOW quick it happens - it still happens that way.

Don't you think that the last moments of life of most animals in the wild are
filled with fear and pain (even lots of people these days). Besides most
snakes kill the animal first (at least mine do and I can guarantee that my
caiman does). How do you think the cow at the slaughter house feels right
before they kill him? What do you think your cat would do to a mouse in the
wild. When I lived at home my mom's cat would roam the yard occasionally and
we would pick up decapitated birds and mice from time to time. Maybe we should
ban people from letting their cats out in the yard...

*sheesh*

--
Bob

John William Kuthe

Dec 30, 1993, 11:49:25 AM12/30/93
In article <2fsvoa$3...@pith.uoregon.edu>,

KUDZU <chr...@cie-2.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>Mason Bliss (ma...@cis.umassd.edu) wrote:
>
>: Gee, you're cool.
>
>: Well, folks, this pretty much sums it up for me.
>
> Seeing a snake eating a kitten didn't make me feel cool...Realizing that
>there was nothing dirty or disgusting in animals eating each other did. I

Yeah, this guy sounds like one of those types that gets upset when a film
crew goes to Africa and films a cheetah chasing down and nabbing an antelope,
and is all pissed off because the film crew *could* have saved the poor
antelope. Yeah, right, and they shoulda saved that poor choad you ate
last night, too!

I used to have a boa, and watching it eat was great. The adrenaline rush you
get just as the snake strikes is pretty powerful, and there's no way I
ever found to avoid it, no matter how you prepared yourself for the strike.
And the way those little rat eyes opo out whilst the squeezing commences
is pretty cool. And the blood that oozes from the mouth of the prey is just
gravy for the snake!

Never got to feed my snake a kitten, though. Sounds like a great idea,
though. I'd thought of it, just my snake wasn't quite big enough.

I *did* get to buy a gerbil once from a department store from a clerk who
didn't want to sell it to me when she heard what I was going to do with it.
Bitch actually refused to box up the little rodent for me, so I went up
to see the store manager, and while waving a $10 in his face, conplained
how this pet dept. clerk's ethics were getting in the way of my snake's
lunch! I was pissed, too! He said that he'd take care of it, and to go back
down to pets and try again. When I got back to the pet dept, the clerk
was still on the phone with the boss man, judging from her submissive
attitude on the phone. I stood there until she got off the phone, and she
then turned to me and said, "Ma I help you?" and I said, "Yes, I'd like
to buy a gerbil." We went over to the gerbil cages, and I pointed out
one and said, "I'd like *that* one." She boxed it up, I paid her, and
she was very quiet the whole time. I said, "Thank you" and left.

The snake snapped up that piece of rodent, too! Just wish the clerk could've
watched! Hee hee!
--
John Kuthe, aka jw...@cec.wustl.edu, St. Louis, MO.

First Job of Government: Protect people from govermment.
Second Job of Government: Protect people each other

It must *never* be the job of government to protect people from themselves.

#insert <stddisclaimer.h> (stolen without permission from someone)

Mason Bliss

Dec 30, 1993, 12:44:38 PM12/30/93
In <jazmynCI...@netcom.com> jaz...@netcom.com (Jazmyn Concolor) writes:

> Snakes eat their prey head first, thus sufficating it quickly. Cats play
>with their food till it dies from fear, shock or blood loss. Snakes seem
>much more humane..

My main objection is still that a person has to go out and decide to get
something living, and then place it in a confined place where it has no
chance of escape, where it will end up dead, shortly. That seems unbelievably
cruel to me.

Look back at that posting from christ@wherever for a graphic, real-life
description of what we're talking about, and tell me it's a nice, humane way
for a baby cat to die.

Mason Bliss

Dec 30, 1993, 12:40:39 PM12/30/93
In <seedman....@vincent2.iastate.edu> see...@iastate.edu (Varanus salvadorii) writes:

>Mason, Mason, Mason... we need to have a reality check here.

Okay. Let's do it!

>Some cats or dogs will eat vegetable matter, but they won't live a happy
>healthy life on it.

<jaw drops> Are you serious?

>You do want your cat/dog to lead a happy, healthy life don't you?

Why, of course! <genuine, sincere nod>

>Well, face facts then. The animal matter, as some labels call it, in most
>cat or dog food was once alive, and didn't die a humane death!

Hm... Haven't we gone over this part in our little discussion already?

>For that
>matter, the burger you ate at McDonald's last night was once a living,
>breathing cow that had it's throat cut so you could pay $2 for a warm burger.

No... I don't believe it! You mean it's not processed soybean?!?

>Visit a slaughter house sometime. It will change the way you think about
>eating meat.

Does having friends who raise, kill, and eat livestock count?

[...]

>the whole incident, or you'll become a vegetarian animal rights activist and
>set all your pets free where they will die from starvation.

There's a sound, logical jump.

>Maybe you are a vegetarian.

Nah... I was a couple years ago, but I decided that as long as I maintain
the proper respect for the animal and value its sacrafice, then it's okay
to eat meat.

>That's your choice to make for yourself.

Why, thank you kindly.

>You can make the choice for your pets too, but would that be moral?

Why, no, it wouldn't, Varanus. Your point? I don't remember ever saying that
I feed my cats greens...

>BTW... I do not now, nor will I in the forseeable future, feed cats to my
>snakes.

That's good, Varanus! I'm glad to hear it.

>I just won't let people shove THEIR morality down MY throat
>as I stand in back mouth open in disbelief.

Fair enough.

Sean Johnson

Dec 30, 1993, 1:01:47 PM12/30/93

Anyone interested in joining the AMERICAN RABBIT BREEDERS ASSOCIATION
please send self addressed, stamped envelope and 25 cents to

MICHELLE JOHNSON
po box 8213
clemson, south carolina 29632

YOU WILL RECIEVE: A MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
A DESCRIPTION ON THE AMERICAN RABBIT BREEDERS ASSOCIATION
A BRIEF SUMMARY ON THE VARIETIES AND CARE OF RABBITS
AND A LIST OF OTHER ADDRESSES FOR MORE INFORMATION

PLEASE JOIN TODAY TO HELP FURTHER THE INTEREST AND EDUCATION PERTAINING
TO RABBITS. THIS MEMBERSHIP ALSO INCLUDES INFORMATION ON GUINEA PIGS (cavies).

THANK YOU,
MICHELLE JOHNSON

Kevin D. Quitt

Dec 30, 1993, 1:25:24 PM12/30/93

I was originally of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with
feeding cats or dogs to snakes given that they are not obtained
fraudulently. Pets are pets, some are food. OTOH, my wife points out
that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs. All the
others have been domesticated primarily for food purposes, some for
burdens.

This makes the status of cats and dogs different from the others:
they're not just pets, they're companion animals. As such, I believe
they deserve special treatment, and should be immune from being food.

My wife is horrified that this is 'merely' an intellectual choice, and
not a visceral one (like her). I wouldn't get hot and bothered about
someone feeding kittens to a snake, but I would recommend against it,
and would not do it myself.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

vineland expatriate

Dec 30, 1993, 3:11:23 PM12/30/93
In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com> k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>fraudulently. Pets are pets, some are food. OTOH, my wife points out
>that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs. All the
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm sorry, but this puzzles me. Cats and dogs "chose us?" Having had cats,
dogs and snakes at various times, I was blissfully unaware that cats and dogs
had been domesticated at their request. Can someone elaborate on that for me
please?

Kevin Kretz

Dec 30, 1993, 3:22:12 PM12/30/93
In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com>, k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
> of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs.

The only thing my girlfriend's roommate's cat chooses to do is piss
on my sweater. Well, _chose_ to to. Because I _chose_ to kick the shit out
of it and it ran away, hopefully to die somewhere.

Anyone who owns a big snake and is too squeamish/guilty to feed it any
kind of cat, give me a call. I'll throw it in - after I beat its head around
so the snake can smell the blood.

Bon appetit,
Kevin

Adam Beneschan

Dec 30, 1993, 4:05:45 PM12/30/93
pm...@ellis.uchicago.edu (vineland expatriate) writes:

>In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com> k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>>
>>fraudulently. Pets are pets, some are food. OTOH, my wife points out
>>that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs. All the
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I'm sorry, but this puzzles me. Cats and dogs "chose us?" Having had cats,
>dogs and snakes at various times, I was blissfully unaware that cats and dogs
>had been domesticated at their request. Can someone elaborate on that for me
>please?

I don't recall the details, but I read about this some years ago in
one of the news magazines---I believe it was _U.S. News and World
Report_. The article was about the theory put forth by some
researchers, that for certain animals, domestication wasn't just
something we humans decided to do, but was instead sought out, or
offered in some sense, by the animals. The theory is that the animals
somehow knew, instinctively, that the species would not survive unless
they made friends with the humans, so they started hanging around the
humans' homes. Like I said, I'm not sure of the details, and it
probably isn't literally true just the way I said this, but the gist
of the theory is that the four-legged animals, rather than the humans,
made the first move. (I was also under the impression that the theory
applied to animals besides just dogs and cats, but I could be wrong.)

Besides, I don't think you could force cats to be domesticated unless
they felt like it, and even then, they'd try to convince us that it
was all the cats' idea in the first place. :-)

-- Adam

Michael Landman

Dec 30, 1993, 1:12:50 PM12/30/93
In article <2fsvoa$3...@pith.uoregon.edu>, chr...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (KUDZU) writes:

|> Mason Bliss (idiot) (ma...@cis.umassd.edu) wrote:
|>
|> : Gee, you're cool.
|>
|> : Well, folks, this pretty much sums it up for me.

[reply by Kudzu follows...]

|> Seeing a snake eating a kitten didn't make me feel cool...Realizing that
|> there was nothing dirty or disgusting in animals eating each other did. I
|> remember someone saying that the whole problem of feeding snakes live animals
|> would be cured if they just sold snake food in a can. That flesh has to come
|> from somewhere, folks...Why have it processed into some nice solid chunk of
|> nutrition just because you can't stomache watching nature at work. I think I
|> speak for all the snakes out there...
|>
|> -Kudzu
|> --

Kudzu, don't feel like you have to apologize to this dork who
is obviously a cat lover. If all he can say is 'gee, you're cool' to an
article which describes kitty death, he should *not* be in alt.tastless.

I bet he wasn't around for the flame war between our group and
rec.pets.cats. He would have had to say 'gee, you're cool' 30 times a day.
Mason, take your kitty and go to another newsgroup. Pray that kitty never
comes near me or my car. (Not that I've ever really killed one before,
[sorry, not a true diehard], but Mason's kitty would tempt me.)

--
*********************************
* My opinions, not Cabletron's. *

Michael Landman

Dec 30, 1993, 3:33:52 PM12/30/93

[Caps screaming intentional..]

THEN UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALT.TASTELESS!

I remember when this newgroup used to be alt.tasteless. Now
it seems to be alt.sometimes.tastless.unless.we.talk.about.little.kitties.
which.is.kind.of.a.sensitive.point.with.some.readers.so.please.tone.down.
the.posts.thank.you.very.much

alt.tastless is *exactly* where these types of posts go, so
people who don't find this stuff offensive can discuss and enjoy it with
out pissing off you little momma's boys.

alt.i'm.late.for.my.church.choir/.kitty.worship.meeting is
the newsgroup you should be in if these types of posts *offend* you!
Leave!

p.s. I'm not even *for* the idea of feeding cats and dogs to snakes,
just against the idea about people complaining about it in a newgroup
such as alt.tasteless

Christopher Aedo

Dec 30, 1993, 4:35:41 PM12/30/93
In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com>, k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) says:

>...of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs...

That's an interesting thought your wife brings up, but it's pretty
unqualified and unlikely. Cats and dogs did not choose to become
domesticated and live in our homes, they were _trained_ to be like
that.

It is comletely conceivable that rather than cats and dogs, our
ancestors decided they liked rats and goats. After decades of specialized
and selective breeding and lots and lots of training, each animal
could well take the place of the cat and dog. Hell, what about pigs?
Are there just a few "special" pigs that have the desire to be house
pets, companions to man and woman? Heh, they even had a friendly pet
pig on Green Acers.

Ahh, I think your theory is pretty weak.

With regard to kittens and such as food, I think it's great. My uncle
on his farm just takes the cute little kittys, puts 'em in a burlap
sack, and holds 'em under water in the kiddie pool until they stop
bubbling. If he had a snake or 6, he could feed the snakes well rather
than just offing the cats like that.

That's just my opinion. I am right though. It's a fact. I always am.

-Christopher Aedo (u56...@uicvm.uic.edu)

KUDZU

Dec 30, 1993, 5:46:18 PM12/30/93
Michael Landman (lan...@ccmailpc.ctron.com) wrote:

: Kudzu, don't feel like you have to apologize to this dork who

: is obviously a cat lover. If all he can say is 'gee, you're cool' to an
: article which describes kitty death, he should *not* be in alt.tastless.

Ho ho ho...My bad! I took the liberty of cross-posting the Kittens as snake
food: Illegal? thread from rec.pets and rec.pets.herp (with herpes?) as I
thought someone in alt.tasteless would get a kick out of my Disappearing
Kitty Trick description.

Besides I think the newsgroups are so similar, hardly anyone would notice...

Jo Miller

Dec 30, 1993, 6:07:16 PM12/30/93
In article <2fvdvg...@ctron-news.ctron.com> Michael Landman,
lan...@ccmailpc.ctron.com writes:
>{another do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do defense of tastelessness}

I like cats. I also like snakes, and I've watched with interest the
critters that go down the gullets of each. (Owls are even better, but
let's stick to snakes and cats.) Feeding time at the Boston Museum of
Science meant dumping out a large box of frozen white mice into a sink of
warm running water to thaw. Scores of tiny bodies, frozen in various
positions but all floating on their backs, making lazy circles around the
water--they looked like they ought to be wearing sunglasses and sipping
iced tea. When thawed, the soggy rodents were thrown to the snakes (and
owls) who gobbled them down like popcorn shrimp.

Cats--well, personally I find their eating habits more entertaining, as
they don't merely swallow something whole and then lie there digesting
for days. I've watched one of my cats bite the head of a mole stupid
enough to rear up and screech at her rather than running like hell. I've
seen them trot proudly across the yard with snakes in their mouths
(looking like Victorian mustaches) to spit the perforated corpses at my
feet. Chipmunks and mice remain mostly intact with their necks broken,
but birds get turned inside out before being deposited on the living room
rug for me to step into barefoot. Even better are the animals that make
a brief trip to the cat's stomach and back: a pile of regurgitated rat,
tail and all, or a horrible alien-looking thing at the end of a rope of
hurl that turns out, upon closer inspection, to be an enormous cicada.

(I do wish my cat would break the habit of jumping up onto my desk next
to the computer to lick her ass after taking a shit, which is what she's
doing now.)

Jo

Laura Johnson

Dec 30, 1993, 6:39:14 PM12/30/93
Adam Beneschan (ad...@irvine.com) wrote:
: offered in some sense, by the animals. The theory is that the animals

: somehow knew, instinctively, that the species would not survive unless
: they made friends with the humans, so they started hanging around the
: humans' homes. Like I said, I'm not sure of the details, and it

This isn't so hard to picture. I don't know about "somehow knew...the
species would not survive", but here's my idea of (say) cats becoming
domesticated.
1. wild cat sees human garbage, comes near homes to get garbage
2. this strategy is so successful that garbage (rather than prey) becomes
primary food source for cats in area
3. friendly cats get garbage + handouts; unfriendly cats get shot on sight
4. friendly cats survive and multiply; unfriendly tendencies are
eliminated (ok, reduced)
5. after many generations, local cat population is friendly, cute, and
living on handouts!

In this scenario, I wouldn't exactly say humans domesticated the cats. It
is more like cats choosing to become domestic.
--
Laura Johnson (lau...@fc.hp.com)
Learning Products Engineer

Paul J Hollander

Dec 30, 1993, 7:25:08 PM12/30/93
In article <CIuzy...@umassd.edu> ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
>In <jazmynCI...@netcom.com> jaz...@netcom.com (Jazmyn Concolor) writes:
>
>> Snakes eat their prey head first, thus sufficating it quickly. Cats play
>>with their food till it dies from fear, shock or blood loss. Snakes seem
>>much more humane..
>
>My main objection is still that a person has to go out and decide to get
>something living, and then place it in a confined place where it has no
>chance of escape, where it will end up dead, shortly. That seems unbelievably
>cruel to me.
>
>Look back at that posting from christ@wherever for a graphic, real-life
>description of what we're talking about, and tell me it's a nice, humane way
>for a baby cat to die.

I did look back. You are confusing the act of constriction, which killed the
kitten, with the act of swallowing, which came after the kitten was dead. You
have already said that eating the kitten is OK if it is killed before it is
swallowed. That is what was described.

In one of the stupider episodes of my youth, a friend put a strangle hold on
me, and I passed out. IMHO, a rather pleasant way to go, as great calmness
followed the initial panic. Probably far more pleasant than starvation or
illness. But I don't know of any nice humane ways to die if one has strength
to fight it. IMHO, there are only ways that are more humane than other ways.
And dieing of old age is not necessarily the most humane way to go. Not that
most animals have that option.

Paul Hollander phol...@iastate.edu
Behold the tortoise: he makes no progress unless he sticks his neck out.

michael moncur

Dec 30, 1993, 7:50:59 PM12/30/93
lan...@ccmailpc.ctron.com (Michael Landman) writes:

> [Caps screaming intentional..]

> THEN UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALT.TASTELESS!

It should be pointed out that most of the posts to alt.tasteless
are probably unintentional; this thread contains the unlikely
newsgroup header of
Newsgroups: rec.pets,rec.pets.herp,alt.tasteless.
Apparently sometime during this lovely debate someone decided that
it was tasteless and should be crossposted appropriately.

I've set the followups for this post to just the two pets
newsgroups, and I suggest that others do the same. In fact I suggest
that everyone ignore this post and everything else in the thread
completely, and let's go back to discussing pets in rec.pets and
tasteless things in alt.tasteless, and everyone can be happy.

michael "Lucky nobody's crossposted to rec.pets.cats yet" moncur

--
~` michael moncur, BC, OEADM - m...@xmission.com - m...@world.std.com ~`

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." -- Malaclypse the Younger

Sean Eric Fagan

Dec 30, 1993, 8:18:26 PM12/30/93
In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com> k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>OTOH, my wife points out
>that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs.

Wrong. So did rats, crickets, and cockroaches. Others as well, I'm sure,
but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, and all three
are not uncommonly considered pets.

amy lynn young-leith

Dec 30, 1993, 9:00:24 PM12/30/93
In article <CIuzy...@umassd.edu>, Mason Bliss <ma...@cis.umassd.edu> wrote:
>My main objection is still that a person has to go out and decide to get
>something living, and then place it in a confined place where it has no
>chance of escape, where it will end up dead, shortly. That seems unbelievably
>cruel to me.

The decision is really made when the person obtains the pet that
requires live food. After that, if you remain committed to the care
of that pet, there is no other decisions.

>Look back at that posting from christ@wherever for a graphic, real-life
>description of what we're talking about, and tell me it's a nice, humane way
>for a baby cat to die.

Is it humane for cats and other animals to be hit by cars on the road?
Do you drive or ride in any type of moving vehicle?

Is it humane for animals to be killed and eaten when humans aren't
around? Are you out in the forest writing up coyotes for killing
squirrels?

And I will ask again WHY it's not, in your view, equally cruel to feed
live rodents such as mice and rats to snakes, OR for cats to play with
these same rodents until they die?

amy

--
aly...@kiwi.ucs.indiana.edu Occupation: Lifetime Student
*This post was made on personal time and has nothing to do whatsoever with *
* the attitudes or opinions of Indiana University. *

amy lynn young-leith

Dec 30, 1993, 9:16:09 PM12/30/93
In article <2fsvoa$3...@pith.uoregon.edu>,
KUDZU <chr...@cie-2.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> Seeing a snake eating a kitten didn't make me feel cool...Realizing that
>there was nothing dirty or disgusting in animals eating each other did. I
>remember someone saying that the whole problem of feeding snakes live animals
>would be cured if they just sold snake food in a can. That flesh has to come
>from somewhere, folks...Why have it processed into some nice solid chunk of
>nutrition just because you can't stomache watching nature at work.

For the same reason that people gobble up McDonalds four times a week,
and buy ten pounds of hamburger every payday but then scream that
feeding kittens to snakes is horrible... because if you've never seen
it and cannot visualize it, it doesn't affect you as much.

Most people have seen a kitten and a snake, and have strong emotional
attachments to the former and revulsion for the latter.

Every person I've known who has visited a slaughterhouse has gone
vegetarian for at LEAST some amount of time, and/or gotten physically
ill the next time they saw/smelled/tasted meat.

Humans somehow feel they are morally removed from the fact that
animals die for their nutrituion simply because they don't operate the
machine that drives a bolt through the cow's forehead, thus killing
it. They feel that somehow it's "different" for humans.

Animals eating animals is much more "natural" than human (animals)
eating animals because the former do so for their only sustinence.
Humans eat also for social reasons, and ignore vegetarian
alternatives.

By the way folks, I'm a meat eater. Because I think it's natural to
be a meat eater, but I do not agree with the way in which animals are
farmed and try to put my money in the appropriate place.

My husband grew up on a farm. He told me that some of their cows were
pets. He and I discovered a HUGE discrepency in our views in this
area because I, personally, would die myself before I would _kill_ and
eat someone (and yes, animals who I call "pets" are a someone) I cared
for. The thought of having a "pet" one day and then eating them the
next made me physically ill when we were discussing this.

The thought of eating a kitten makes me sick. The thought of feeding
a live ANYTHING to a snake bothers me, so I don't keep snakes. Now
whether it's "more humane" for a kitten to be euthenized in a shelter
or fed to a snake is some bizaar subjective judgement that I don't
think is really worth making.

But what gets me is the HYPOCRISY of some of the people here, who are
screaming that it's sick to do this to one type of animal, but
apparently fine to do to another!

Is it more humane to be given a shot and slowly lose consciousness, or
to be constricted and lose consciousness? I don't know, but they are,
in the very least, really really close.

amy

ps. excuse' moi for the rambling, I just sorta got on a roll....

amy lynn young-leith

Dec 30, 1993, 9:23:39 PM12/30/93
In article <CIuzr...@umassd.edu>, Mason Bliss <ma...@cis.umassd.edu>
wrote:

>No... I don't believe it! You mean it's not processed soybean?!?

Well, if you have a McLean...

>Does having friends who raise, kill, and eat livestock count?

No, I'm afraid it's not. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING which
can really compare to having to visit a slaughterhouse. No stories,
however long and graphic, or even videotape. You miss the utterly
sickening feel in the air, and the stench of blood and other various
entrails that will give you nightmares for months.

>Nah... I was a couple years ago, but I decided that as long as I maintain
>the proper respect for the animal and value its sacrafice, then it's okay
>to eat meat.

Oh, ok. A "Thank you m'am and pass the beef" makes up for the last
three minutes of a cows life where they were bleeding to death from a
gash all across their neck, which I would imagine hurts pretty damn
bad.

I have to say it, I'm sorry, but you are a fucking hypocrite and you
make me sick.

amy

amy lynn young-leith

Dec 30, 1993, 9:27:24 PM12/30/93
In article <CIt2o...@umassd.edu>, Mason Bliss <ma...@cis.umassd.edu> wrote:
>The main argument here (IMO) is that it's wrong to feed living animals
>to each other. Do you go out and get mice for your cat to play with and then
>kill? No. (Well, hopefully not, anyway.)

So it's okay to allow, as long as you do not actively provide? In
other words, letting the cat use a mouse as a tetherball in the back
hard is okay because, even though this isn't necessary to the cat's
survival, whereas it IS for a snake, you didn't give them mouse to
them in the first place.

>The difference here is that dogs, cats, and birds aren't given live prey
>to eat. Other solutions have been found.

BUT THEY ALL WERE ALIVE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER? So is it okay to kill
the kitten/mouse/rat and THEN give it to the snake?

Would it then be "alright" by you to allow your snake out for a romp
in the backyard, and if he happened upon one of the woodland creatures
that lived there, you would have no problems with his meal then?

Jazmyn Concolor

Dec 30, 1993, 11:47:07 PM12/30/93

My SOs rat, Silvyn and my mice, Microsoft, Lotus, Novella, Indigo and
(unnamed) all agree that kittens are fine as snake food. My SOs cat, Sable
was too busy clawing the screen door to shreads to be reached for comment, but
would probably opt for puppies instead of kittens.

Jose Marques

Dec 31, 1993, 6:19:28 AM12/31/93
In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com>
k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>I was originally of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with
>feeding cats or dogs to snakes given that they are not obtained
>fraudulently. Pets are pets, some are food. OTOH, my wife points out

Yes, but in some cultures dogs are food animals too.

>that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs. All the
>others have been domesticated primarily for food purposes, some for
>burdens.
>
>This makes the status of cats and dogs different from the others:
>they're not just pets, they're companion animals. As such, I believe

No, cats and dogs were stupid enough to let humans get close enough
to domesticate them. Why reward stupidity? After all we already
vote for it.

>they deserve special treatment, and should be immune from being food.

How about working on making sure that humans don't treat other humans
as food animals first. There was a bit in the Guardian newspaper a few
weeks back about canibalism in some remote parts of china during the
culturural revolution. Not only did they kill their enemies but they eat
them too! The victims were butchered in the street and groups of
'gourmets' discussed which parts were the best. I believe that the
heart and liver were most valued. One bit I found most amusing was a
description of a jilted girlfriend who killed he ex-boyfriends father
and eat his heart. How about that for revenge.

>My wife is horrified that this is 'merely' an intellectual choice, and
>not a visceral one (like her). I wouldn't get hot and bothered about
>someone feeding kittens to a snake, but I would recommend against it,
>and would not do it myself.

Life's a piece of shit and then you die. So what's new?

>--
>#include <standard.disclaimer>
> _
>Kevin D Quitt 91351-4454 96.37% of all statistics are made up

--
Jose Marques, VM & VSE Systems Programmer
%INCLUDE STDSCLMR

robert gruen

Dec 31, 1993, 3:18:32 AM12/31/93
In <57...@heimdall.sdrc.com> robert...@sdrc.com (robert gruen) writes:

>> wild. When I lived at home my mom's cat would roam the yard occasionally and
>> we would pick up decapitated birds and mice from time to time.

To which Mason responds:

> But I'm going to bet ya that you didn't take your cat and put it in a
> box or tank, and then drop in a mouse... See the difference?

To which I say:

Oh...yes I do see the difference. Now lets examine these differences
through a quick question & answer game.

Q. Snakes are kept in cages because...?

A. A snake will not come running for dinner when its name is called. This
can make it difficult to find a snake that doesn't want to be found if it
has been roaming the house freely for several hours. The fact that snakes
are also not generally potty trained doesn't help either.

Q. Cats are not kept in cages because...?

A. They will generally respond to a few verbal commands from their owner
(ie. come and eat). They can generally be trained to use the litter box.

Q. If cats did not listen to their master at all and could not be trained to
use the box, would they be kept in cages?

A. Sometimes.

Q. Would it be easier to feed a cat like this in a cage?

A. Seems likely.

Q. What would cats eats if there was no canned cat food?

A. Probably small live/dead mice, birds and other prey.

Q. Where does the meat that is in cat & dog food come from?

A. Duh. Do I really have to answer this one?

Snakes are not domestic animals like cats and dogs and thus one should not
expect to treat/feed a snake like a cat or dog. From your what you have said
I can only assume that you belive NO ONE should be allowed to keep these
animals as pets because YOU don't like the way they NEED to eat. Why impose
your morals on others? Just don't own one yourself. Is it wrong to own fish
because the fish is kept confined to a small tank when it could be out swimming
in a lake?

See the difference?

--
Bob

Jovanka F Kink

Dec 31, 1993, 5:31:01 PM12/31/93
Okay, Mr. Holier-Than-Thou, what do you suggest we feed our snakes? Salad? I
take no pleasure in the death of any animal, but at the same time I realize
that, if I keep predators as pets, I have the responsibility of providing them
with appropriate prey. The alternative is not to keep predatory animals, and
for those of us who love them, it would make life that much less enjoyable and
meaningful.
I take it you have no objection to feeding *dead* animals to another
animal? Guess what -- the contents of that dog or cat food can was once a live
animal too. But it's okay as long as you don't have to see it, right?
Sorry to sound so ticked-off, but that's the reaction your kind of reply
is evoking for me. My feeling on the kitten question is, yes, to be up-front
with the person you're getting the kittens from, and not to be upset if they're
not willing to give you the kittens if they know they will become snake food.
I'd feel bad thinking that I got kittens from someone who genuinely believed
they would go to a good home; however if the person knew, and had no problem
with it, I probably wouldn't feel bad about feeding unwanted kittens to my
snakes. It is, indeed, a quick death, and better than many of the
alternatives.
--Raksha

Jovanka F Kink

Dec 31, 1993, 6:08:21 PM12/31/93
An animal who dies of cold, starvation, poisoning, being hit by a car, etc.,
also has its last moments filled with pain and fear. And those last moments
generally last a lot longer than death by constriction or envenomation.
--Raksha

MajorBBS: The Magic Forest

Jan 1, 1994, 11:10:37 PM1/1/94

IL>|> Mason Bliss (idiot) (ma...@cis.umassd.edu) wrote:
IL>|>
IL>|> : Gee, you're cool.
IL>|>
IL>|> : Well, folks, this pretty much sums it up for me.
IL>|>

IL> [reply by Kudzu follows...]

IL>|> Seeing a snake eating a kitten didn't make me feel cool...Realizing tha
IL>|> there was nothing dirty or disgusting in animals eating each other did. I
IL>|> remember someone saying that the whole problem of feeding snakes live
IL>animals
IL>|> would be cured if they just sold snake food in a can. That flesh has to
IL>come
AL>|> from somewhere, folks...Why have it processed into some nice solid chunk
IL>|> nutrition just because you can't stomache watching nature at work. I thi
IL>|> speak for all the snakes out there...
IL>|>
IL>|> -Kudzu
IL>|> --

IL> Kudzu, don't feel like you have to apologize to this dork who
IL>is obviously a cat lover. If all he can say is 'gee, you're cool' to an
IL>article which describes kitty death, he should *not* be in alt.tastless.

IL> I bet he wasn't around for the flame war between our group and
IL>rec.pets.cats. He would have had to say 'gee, you're cool' 30 times a day.
IL>Mason, take your kitty and go to another newsgroup. Pray that kitty never
BL>comes near me or my car. (Not that I've ever really killed one before,

IL>--
IL>*********************************
IL>* My opinions, not Cabletron's. *
IL>*Stupid People Shouldn't Breathe*
IL>* lan...@ctron.com *
IL>*********************************

Then Tell me ......why are you around still sucking up air??????

Vlad Lasky

Jan 2, 1994, 2:06:44 AM1/2/94
>With regard to kittens and such as food, I think it's great. My uncle
>on his farm just takes the cute little kittys, puts 'em in a burlap
>sack, and holds 'em under water in the kiddie pool until they stop
>bubbling. If he had a snake or 6, he could feed the snakes well rather
>than just offing the cats like that.

What happened to burying cats up to their necks in the front yard then
mowing the lawn? Or tying them to a tree by their tails with a stick of
dynamite up their arses?

Them was the days.

Cheryl

Jan 2, 1994, 7:58:43 PM1/2/94
Michael Landman <lan...@ctron.com> wrote:

> [Caps screaming intentional..]
>
> THEN UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALT.TASTELESS!
>

> alt.tastless is *exactly* where these types of posts go, so
>people who don't find this stuff offensive can discuss and enjoy it with
>out pissing off you little momma's boys.

Look, buddy, I wouldn't subscribe to alt.tasteless if you paid me, and
neither would a lot of people reading rec.pets. If you bozos from
alt.tasteless would quit cross-posting crap over here then we wouldn't
have to read it. Read *these* caps: QUIT CROSS-POSTING TO REC.PETS AND
REC.PETS.HERPS! Or quit your bellyaching about alt.tasteless. We're not
reading your stupid newsgroup, you're cross-posting in ours, so don't
come over here yelling like a dumbass about us reading alt.tasteless!
Get it now?

Jennifer E. Swofford

Jan 2, 1994, 11:36:18 PM1/2/94
ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:
> In <1993Dec26.2...@wixer.bga.com> mi...@wixer.bga.com (Mike Herman) writes:
>
> >I have a snake and have observed it kill (NOT kittens)
> >it seems pretty quick for the most part, after all if it
> >takes too long the prey can fight back.
>
> But the prey can't have the option of running, like they would out in the
> real world...

Neither does my dinner. :) Of course, with an argument like that,
you're probably a vegetarian. (Nothing against vegetarians!)

Jennifer E. Swofford ____ Carnegie Mellon University
js...@andrew.cmu.edu ____ ____ / o\ Mellon College of Science
igu...@cmu.edu /\ / \ / \ / ___/ Pittsburgh, PA
\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /

Jennifer E. Swofford

Jan 2, 1994, 11:54:55 PM1/2/94
ti...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Susan M. Kennedy) writes:

> I know this isn't the correct follow up sequence(I should have followed Mike
> directly) But Mike, have you ever observed a cat kill its prey? Talk about long
> drawn out torture! I have cats, dogs, rabbits, and turtles and I believe that if
> you are going to have pets you should respect their natural behavior. I
> probrably would not feel comfortable about feeding kittens to snakes, but I
> would agree that its probably a better way to die than starving, or dying of the
> many illnesses that unwanted and neglected cats and kittens suffer, or by being
> tortured to death by a cat!
>
> Susan

Speaking of being tortured to death: I recently ordered my "Trials of
Life" videotape series. The first tape features the Orca whale
feeding on seals. They rushed the shore that the seals were sitting
on, dragged them out to sea, still alive, and then actually "played"
with them: tossed them through the air with their mouths and flipped
them through the air with their tails. It was most disturbing. I
actually cried, but in retrospect, and with the rational reasoning I
used when I ordered the series, I know that that's just the way it is.
God created it that way, if you believe in that sort of thing.

Anyways, I wasn't even trying to prove a point or anything, I just
thought I'd tell you about my video. :)

Christopher Aedo

Jan 2, 1994, 11:53:18 PM1/2/94
In article <CJ14...@eskimo.com>, feat...@eskimo.com (Cheryl) says:

>Look, buddy, I wouldn't subscribe to alt.tasteless if you paid me, and
>neither would a lot of people reading rec.pets. If you bozos from
>alt.tasteless would quit cross-posting crap over here then we wouldn't
>have to read it. Read *these* caps: QUIT CROSS-POSTING TO REC.PETS AND
>REC.PETS.HERPS! Or quit your bellyaching about alt.tasteless. We're not
>reading your stupid newsgroup, you're cross-posting in ours, so don't
>come over here yelling like a dumbass about us reading alt.tasteless!
>Get it now?

Hmm, Cheryl, hate to burst your boil, but it *WAS NOT* one of the
illustrious alt.tasteless regular who originally cross-posted to
your *cute* little groups... With this in mind, the person who YOU
bitched at was a little out of line in his whine, but you were even
more out of line. It is utterly insipid to imply that *ANYONE* on
a.t would even *CONSIDER* intentionally cross-posting to *ANY* rec.pets
newsgroup.

Now please, lift your skirt, and summon your great-dane. I think you
need a little relaxing.

-Christopher Aedo
(if you step on a cat correctly, it will make a *POP* sound)

Jennifer E. Swofford

Jan 3, 1994, 1:34:58 AM1/3/94
Christopher Aedo <U56...@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:
> In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com>, k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) says:
> >
> >...of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs...
>
> That's an interesting thought your wife brings up, but it's pretty
> unqualified and unlikely. Cats and dogs did not choose to become
> domesticated and live in our homes, they were _trained_ to be like
> that.
>
> It is comletely conceivable that rather than cats and dogs, our
> ancestors decided they liked rats and goats. After decades of specialized
> and selective breeding and lots and lots of training, each animal
> could well take the place of the cat and dog. Hell, what about pigs?
> Are there just a few "special" pigs that have the desire to be house
> pets, companions to man and woman? Heh, they even had a friendly pet
> pig on Green Acers.

Yes, but we did not chose rats and goats. In our society, at least,
I think that even those on alt.tasteless will agree that cats and dogs
can indeed be placed into the "pet" category. (Webster's defines "pet"
as being a domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility.)
There are certainly wild cats and dogs around, but I would guess that
the domesticated ones greatly outnumber them and that if our society
as a whole would take a vote, they'd opt to have them all be pets, and
not wild. Anyway, I can understand the wife's argument, because
although we do keep rats, bunnies, mice, herps (I'm a herp person, but
what the heck) as pets, they are not truly domesticated to the extent
that cats and dogs are. In our society, they have "evolved" to
companion status.

But, do they know that? Do they feel any more cheated when used as
food than, say, a cow or a pig? I doubt it. Will those who use as food
animals that are "supposed" to be used as pets burn in hell any sooner
than those who use cows or pigs? (If you believe in that sort of
thing.)

Notice, I wrote "'used' as pets": we as a society have chosen what
animals to use for what over the years. Some are *used* as pets, some
are *used* as food, some are *used* to pull the carriages, etc. Some,
we allow to roam free in what is left of "the wild". So, who decided
all of this so long ago, and does he have an email address, phone or
fax number so we can ask his opinion on this kitten question?

Anyways, I hold my same opinion: kittens should not be used as
reptile food because we as the herp community do not need yet another
mark against us. We're trying to get our practice accepted by the
masses, which is not done by creating such controversies.

Kevin Kretz

Jan 3, 1994, 5:52:01 AM1/3/94

You dorks are crossposting here, too. Just like your informative
post. If you have such a hardon about it, why not mail the alleged
crossposter instead of doing the same thing you bitch about him doing?

ObPets: My favorite thing about my dog was the way he would eat
cats.

Chad Robinson

Jan 3, 1994, 11:51:28 AM1/3/94
Cheryl (feat...@eskimo.com) uttered the following inanity:
~ In article <2fvdvg...@ctron-news.ctron.com>,
~ Michael Landman <lan...@ctron.com> wrote:

~ Look, buddy, I wouldn't subscribe to alt.tasteless if you paid me, and
~ neither would a lot of people reading rec.pets. If you bozos from
~ alt.tasteless would quit cross-posting crap over here then we wouldn't
~ have to read it. Read *these* caps: QUIT CROSS-POSTING TO REC.PETS AND
~ REC.PETS.HERPS! Or quit your bellyaching about alt.tasteless. We're not
^^^^^
Why would you want a disgusting disease as a pet? Maybe you SHOULD
subscribe to alt.tasteless.

Takes all kinds, I guess.

Zoweee

rab...@u.washington.edu

Jan 3, 1994, 6:24:20 PM1/3/94
In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com>, Kevin D. Quitt <k...@netcom.com> wrote:

>I was originally of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with
>feeding cats or dogs to snakes given that they are not obtained
>fraudulently. Pets are pets, some are food. OTOH, my wife points out
>that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs. All the
>others have been domesticated primarily for food purposes, some for
>burdens.
>
>This makes the status of cats and dogs different from the others:
>they're not just pets, they're companion animals. As such, I believe
>they deserve special treatment, and should be immune from being food.

I don't agree that "they chose us". Rather, We (the proverbial we of our
prehistoric past) fed pups and kits of canis and felis species, they grew
up accustomed to us, and we bred them for our use (herding, protection,
pest control...) Some people call pot bellied pigs pets; I just call them
small hams. The Koreans (no slurs intended) might call my dog Roo a
delightful meal indeed. Hindus might call a cockroach sacred, whereas we
call them a disgusting pest, and some Polynesians feel that they are a
critical ingredient in a feast. It's all purely cultural, and culture has
a way of putting obscure values on all sorts of things.

Personally, I raise rabbits, chickens, turkeys, sheep and a few pheasants
along with my herps. I refer to all of them as my pets,and they are all
tame and recognize me, let me pet them, etc, but my wife and I eat rabbit
about once a week (try them stewed in beer and garlic!), and just had one
of our turkeys, Russ, on New Year's Day. Values are an intangeble thing-
and they are completely unrecognized throughout most of the animal kingdom.

As for dogs and cats being immune to becoming feed, ask the coyotes that
killed and ate (mostly) my sister's cats six weeks ago what they think of
it.

Happy New Year to all-
Rabbits
(BTW- I am dropping the cross-post to alt.tasteless- I believe it is
unnecessary and could only mean problems to herpers and animal enthusiasts)

rab...@u.washington.edu

Jan 3, 1994, 6:26:33 PM1/3/94
In article <Dec.30.15.22...@eden.rutgers.edu>,
Kevin Kretz <kr...@eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:

>In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com>, k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>> of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs.
>

> The only thing my girlfriend's roommate's cat chooses to do is piss
>on my sweater. Well, _chose_ to to. Because I _chose_ to kick the shit out
>of it and it ran away, hopefully to die somewhere.
>
> Anyone who owns a big snake and is too squeamish/guilty to feed it any
>kind of cat, give me a call. I'll throw it in - after I beat its head around
>so the snake can smell the blood.
>
> Bon appetit,
> Kevin

This is just what we don't need. Let's cut it short and avoid any more
bad press, folks.

Rabbits.

Anthony A. Datri

Jan 3, 1994, 7:38:34 PM1/3/94
>unqualified and unlikely. Cats and dogs did not choose to become
>domesticated and live in our homes, they were _trained_ to be like that.

Actually, they were genetically engineered. Neither is a natural species.

--

======================================================================8--<

Operator Console #2

Jan 3, 1994, 11:16:27 PM1/3/94

>We took our two male rabbits to be neutered Thursday. I picked them up
>that afternoon and took them home. Sparky (french lop) is fine, but
>Nolan (dwarf) was still numb in his hind. I took him back to the vet
>today and was told that his 3rd vertabrae (sp?) from the rear has been
>fractured. He is paralyzed from that point down.
>He's confused but alert. The only issue is quality of life. Until I can
>determine if he's going to have a happy life, I can't bring myself to
>have him put to sleep.

more stuff deleted.....

>I need advice from people who have handled this in the past, or have any
>ideas as to what to do.
>
>Please help.... we're alone on this one....
>
>Clif Deanhardt

I borrowed this post (Sorry Clif) to show you what makes an animal unacceptable
as food. The rabbit ( common snake food ) referred to in this post is 1000
times more worthy of life than any kitten. You see, having the love of a good
family is what makes an animal a pet, not just the fact that it is a cat/dog/bird
etc. If you have a bunch of kittens sitting in a box, they are just as much anim-
als as a box of rabbits,mice, rats.... It's when an animal is taken in and cared
for like the one above that it becomes worthy of a "higher status."

Just another (barely) .02 cents
kevin

Thomas Joseph Donohue

Jan 4, 1994, 9:50:23 AM1/4/94
In article <1993Dec30.2...@news.cs.indiana.edu> "amy lynn young-leith" <aly...@cherry.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:

>The thought of eating a kitten makes me sick...

Actually, I've heard they're quite tasty, especially when they're broiled
and basted.

>The thought of feeding a live ANYTHING to a snake bothers me, so I don't
>keep snakes.

My sister used to have a ball python several years ago, and we'd feed it
gerbils and mice, which really was fun to watch. You really don't know
how interesting, intelligent and fascinating snakes really are, unless
you spend lots of time with them. Try it, overcome your weakness.

While on a predator/prey note, my friend Scott from high school has a cat,
Molly. Molly is cool as shit. She must weigh almost 25 lbs, and all of
it's muscle... I mean, she is one big cat. She also has 6 claws on each
paw, so she's well equipped, too. Scott & I would watch her out in the yard,
hunting birds. She'd do the typical cat thing: crouch, concentrate, wiggle,
pounce, and swipe. Except Molly, with her 6 claws per paw, wouln't just
stun, wound or kill, but she would literally tear the bird in half! It was
quite a show. Has anybody else ever watched cats kill? Got any stories?

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[II]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
The worms crawl in and the worms crawl out,||Tom "Bored in Berlin" Donohue
The ones that go in are lean and thin, ||dono...@w250zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de
The ones that crawl out are fat and stout, ||These statements and viewpoints
Your eyes fall in and your teeth fall out, ||are my own; they do not represent
Your brains come tumbling down your snout. ||those of anyone else, living,
Be merry, my friends, be merry.--The Pogues||dead, or slowly dying in pain.
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[II]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Nessa

Jan 4, 1994, 10:10:31 AM1/4/94
ma...@cis.umassd.edu (Mason Bliss) writes:

>In <jazmynCI...@netcom.com> jaz...@netcom.com (Jazmyn Concolor) writes:

>> Snakes eat their prey head first, thus sufficating it quickly. Cats play
>>with their food till it dies from fear, shock or blood loss. Snakes seem
>>much more humane..

Cats play with their food in a calculated manner so as NOT to kill it until
the last moment. Anyone who doubts this should go a watch a mother bring
half dead, terrified rodents to the kittens for them to play with.
Snakes are cold blooded and methodical and animal dies in an inexhorable
fashion. However They do NOT play with their food. I would say that the
consisten manner in which they feed actually makes them more humane than
we are. Definitely moreso than cats. After all snakes do not eat unless
they are actually hungry.

>My main objection is still that a person has to go out and decide to get
>something living, and then place it in a confined place where it has no
>chance of escape, where it will end up dead, shortly. That seems unbelievably
>cruel to me.

Hmmm... Sounds like a really good description of a stock yard at a slaughter
house. Oh, you meant the snakes cage? Looks like all of you will have to
stop eating meat. Have you seen the "Faces of Death" where they show the
rabbit slaughter house? I was shocked to see Humans cleaning rabbits that
weren't dead yet. They do the same to chickens too. Something about blood
letting and making the meat better or something like that.
This doesn't sound very humane to me.

More to chew on...
--
Brian & 'Nessa (watched over by) Priscilla & Herman (carpet sharks)
"Maybe it's a gift, a special talent that I, alone, possess!" --Wembley
"Maybe it's a curse, a special weirdness that only you are stuck with!" --Red

Nessa

Jan 4, 1994, 10:25:41 AM1/4/94
gord...@cml.com (MajorBBS: The Magic Forest) writes:

[lots of irrelevant stuff delted]

>IL>*********************************
>IL>* My opinions, not Cabletron's. *
>IL>*Stupid People Shouldn't Breathe*
>IL>* lan...@ctron.com *
>IL>*********************************

> Then Tell me ......why are you around still sucking up air??????

You just wasted two whole screens of bandwidth sending the entire previous message, when you could have deleted most of it, and you are still breathing.
Why are you complaining?
You should be happy that this guys sig is just his opinion
and not a natural law! :)

Oh yeah...
IMHO, YMMV, STDDSCLAP...

Nessa

Jan 4, 1994, 10:33:56 AM1/4/94
k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>I was originally of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with
>feeding cats or dogs to snakes given that they are not obtained
>fraudulently. Pets are pets, some are food. OTOH, my wife points out
>that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs. All the
>others have been domesticated primarily for food purposes, some for
>burdens.

I know that this is not related to cats as food but...
Ferrets are domesticated animals as well.
There is a good deal of evidence to support the claim that ferrets have been
domesticated longer than cats.

The fact that ferrets can't survive in the wild, while cats can, would seem
to add validity to this claim. Interestingly enough dogs, which I am willing
to accept have been domesticated longer than ferrets or cats, also have genetic
weak links that are becoming very evident. They still are a more hardy
species. I suspect the gene pool for canines is deeper than the respective
gene pools for cats and especially ferrets.

Any one have any considered opinions?

Back to the issue at hand...

>This makes the status of cats and dogs different from the others:
>they're not just pets, they're companion animals. As such, I believe
>they deserve special treatment, and should be immune from being food.

Only the companion animals deserve special treatment. After all what is
special about being killed in a cold loveless environment like a shelter?

What real difference is there? The only one exists in our minds.
Dead is DEAD.

>My wife is horrified that this is 'merely' an intellectual choice, and
>not a visceral one (like her). I wouldn't get hot and bothered about
>someone feeding kittens to a snake, but I would recommend against it,
>and would not do it myself.

This comment is not directed at anyone in particular just a genreal observation.

Wouldn't it be nice if people where this "visceral" about things that really
mattered? Like children dying around the world. Womens rights. The rights
of minority groups?

I mean most of us feel for these people but how many of us waste tons of
bandwidth and time trying to defend these people? Hmm.....

Kevin D. Quitt

Jan 4, 1994, 11:55:51 AM1/4/94
Thus wrote rab...@u.washington.edu ():

>I don't agree that "they chose us".

Dogs weren't domesticated until they became camp followers. They were
encouraged to join camps because dogs will eat human feces, then leave
the immediate area to drop their own feces. This was a sanitation plus
for those groups that allowed and encouraged the dogs to hang around.

Cats provided a similar service by eliminating rodents and (poisonous)
herps in the area of the camp. Obviously, cat and dog groups we
separate geographically.

What other animals (not counting intestinal fauna, or mitochondria)
have a symbiotic relationship with us that is the cause of their
domestication, rather than the result of it?

Walker Aumann

Jan 4, 1994, 2:16:19 PM1/4/94
dono...@w250zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Joseph Donohue) writes:

>My sister used to have a ball python several years ago, and we'd feed it
>gerbils and mice, which really was fun to watch. You really don't know
>how interesting, intelligent and fascinating snakes really are, unless
>you spend lots of time with them. Try it, overcome your weakness.

Interesting and fascinating, yes. Intelligent, no. Or at least not very
perceptive. I've watched my corn snake take several tries at eating a
mouse before finding the head. He thought he had it made when he got one
of the front legs - took him about five minutes to give up on that idea.

Kevin D. Quitt

Jan 4, 1994, 4:28:29 PM1/4/94
Thus wrote s...@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan):

>In article <kdqCIv...@netcom.com> k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>>OTOH, my wife points out
>>that of all the species, only two chose us: cats and dogs.
>
>Wrong. So did rats, crickets, and cockroaches. Others as well, I'm sure,
>but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, and all three
>are not uncommonly considered pets.

sef wrote me about this in a letter. I pointed out that the fact that
an animal is a pet, or that people breed the animal does not make it
domesticated, and suggested he use a dictionary to look up the meaning
of domesticated. He got so incensed by this that he has told me he
never wants to hear from me again, that all further attempts would
bounce, and that the third bounce would also go to my postmaster.
(sigh. Kids - what are ya gonna do with them?)

Jurpo (Urpo Kotipalo)

Jan 4, 1994, 4:59:13 PM1/4/94

: quite a show. Has anybody else ever watched cats kill? Got any stories?

heh, we had once a cat that would hunt for rabbits... she was
a real cool cat. at first we were curious why wouldn't she eat
her cat food, but then one day, i found some half dozen half eaten
both adult and baby rabbits behind one of our barns...

Urpo Kotipalo, LuTK/MAT There was a pause, and then Fran roared: /
Nig...@phoenix.oulu.fi 'Who wants another drink? I mean, besides /
Nig...@rieska.oulu.fi me?' -I. Asimov: Foundation and Empire <

Sean Eric Fagan

Jan 4, 1994, 7:25:04 PM1/4/94
In article <kdqCJ4...@netcom.com> k...@netcom.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>sef wrote me about this in a letter. I pointed out that the fact that
>an animal is a pet, or that people breed the animal does not make it
>domesticated, and suggested he use a dictionary to look up the meaning
>of domesticated. He got so incensed by this that he has told me he
>never wants to hear from me again, that all further attempts would
>bounce, and that the third bounce would also go to my postmaster.
>(sigh. Kids - what are ya gonna do with them?)

No, come on, tell the whole truth.

Here are some basic facts for the ignorant out there (this includes
the above-quoted idiot):

First, a definition for "domesticate":
1do-mes-ti-cate \de-'mes-ti-,ka^-t\ vt -cat-ed; -cat-ing
(ca. 1639)
1: to bring into domestic use: ADOPT
2: to adapt (an animal or plant) to life in intimate association with
and to the advantage of man
3: to fit for domestic life
4: to bring to the level of ordinary people: FAMILIARIZE
-- do-mes-ti-ca-tion \-,mes-ti-'ka^--shen\ n

2do-mes-ti-cate \-ket, -,ka^-t\ n
(1951)
:a domesticated animal or plant

Now, about rats, cockroaches, and crickets: rats have been adapting to
live, *intimately*, with humans for many thousands of years, far longer,
most likely, than either dogs or cats. The selective breeding was not
done by humans, for the most part, but by the rats themselves. However,
rats are also bred *soley* to be pets. These pet rats are bred from rats
that had already adapted to living with humans (rattus rattus). So,
rats qualify as domesticated under all four definitions above. As for
the original question, which kdq is too stupid to think about, rats chose
to live like this *despite* being killed for it! It is more beneficial
for rats to live in human towns and cities than to live in the wild.

Now for cockroaches: largely the same thing: there are some species of
cockroaches that are *only* found in human habitats. Without humans, these
species just would not exist. Again, being treated as pests by large segments,
they are routinely killed, yet continue to "choose" to live among us. In
addition, like rats, they have also been bred as pets (people taking the
attitude that if you can't beat 'em, turn 'em into pretty pets). Variations
of cockroaches that would otherwise not exist have been bred, and, I'm told,
there are even a few "shows" for these in various parts of the world (I know
of one that was in the U.S. a couple of years ago, heard of others, mostly in
Europe). Again, they fit all four definitions, although the fourth is a
bit of a stretch.

Crickets have long been regarded as pets in Japanese society. For good luck.
And, since wild crickets are pretty boring looking, there have been crickets
bred for certain traits (sound and looks) for at least a couple of hundred
years. Again: all four definitions meet.

Now, kdq kept saying I was wrong. He is an idiot who is not willing to
do a little research to back up his point. I am sick and tired of dealing
with idiots who are so certain they're right they can't be bothered to do a
little checking. So, any mail he sends will be bounced back, and after three
such attempts, will be copied to his postmaster, as well. I do not want to
hear from the fool ever again.

But it's so much better for him to not tell the whole truth, isn't it?

amy lynn young-leith

Jan 4, 1994, 8:00:47 PM1/4/94
In article <2gbvnf$k...@brachio.zrz.tu-berlin.de>,

Thomas Joseph Donohue <dono...@w250zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>My sister used to have a ball python several years ago, and we'd feed it
>gerbils and mice, which really was fun to watch. You really don't know
>how interesting, intelligent and fascinating snakes really are, unless
>you spend lots of time with them. Try it, overcome your weakness.

I have nothing against snakes and enjoy playing with the ones owned by
friends, I just don't care to keep them. Good lord, if I kept one of
every animal I'd be thrown out of my apartment in a flash, I'm sure.

amy
--
aly...@kiwi.ucs.indiana.edu Occupation: Lifetime Student
*This post was made on personal time and has nothing to do whatsoever with *
* the attitudes or opinions of Indiana University. *

amy lynn young-leith

Jan 4, 1994, 8:09:01 PM1/4/94
In article <nessie.7...@sage.cc.purdue.edu>,
Nessa <nes...@sage.cc.purdue.edu> wrote:
[...]

>Hmmm... Sounds like a really good description of a stock yard at a slaughter
>house. Oh, you meant the snakes cage? Looks like all of you will have to
>stop eating meat. Have you seen the "Faces of Death" where they show the
>rabbit slaughter house? I was shocked to see Humans cleaning rabbits that
>weren't dead yet. They do the same to chickens too. Something about blood
>letting and making the meat better or something like that.
>This doesn't sound very humane to me.

On a slightly related note, I would like to start a conversation about
something, which for obvious reasons I've left out alt.tasteless.

But HOW can someone knowingly cause such torture to another living
creature, be it "animal" or human (we are animals as well, but people
frequently refuse to admit this)?

Just READING the above made me feel... I can't explain it. The
thought of someone doing this knowingly just brings on the most intense feeling
of dark *evil*. I can remember the first time I felt this... my
grandfather and I had gone fishing, and he was skinning catfish alive.
I was only about 9 but I went nuts. I've not respected him since that
day, unfortunately (this along with other fun reasons).

At the risk of being called a fruit loop, I fully believe it's a
metaphysical thing. When someone's hurt, I feel something. I can't
explain what it is, but even if I don't "know" someone's in trouble
I'll feel it. I guess the same goes with animals, and the thought of
doing that brings on the related remembrances of feelings.

I ask this on a pets group because I imagine we might have different
views on animals and their place in society. But do you have to be an
animal lover to acknowledge that knowingly causing pain has to be, in
the very least, very very bad for the karma? =-)

It is loading more messages.