the smell of an iguana

RuFanCM

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

a couple of years ago, my parents bought me an iguana. I later had to give it
away because the smell was unbearable. No matter how well I took care of him
or cleaned his cage (i was even cleaning it every day, but it didn't help!) I
could not get rid of the stench. It smelled like urine. It stunk up the whole
house.

Does anybody know what could cause this?

Mike Barker

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

What kind of cage was th ig housed in? If it was a wooden cage its possible
that some excrement had soaked into the wood. If not I don't know I never
noticed that with mine

Mike

RuFanCM wrote in message
<199804161903...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

WingdWolf2

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

In article <199804161903...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, ruf...@aol.com
(RuFanCM) writes:

>a couple of years ago, my parents bought me an iguana. I later had to give
>it
away because the smell was unbearable. No matter how well I took care of
>him
or cleaned his cage (i was even cleaning it every day, but it didn't
>help!) I
could not get rid of the stench. It smelled like urine. It stunk up
>the whole
house.

Does anybody know what could cause this?

It's certainly not normal...I've never encountered an iguana with an odor like
that. Not even a dirty cage.

--Winged Wolf
the were/psion
Visit the Psion Guild web page: Tell us what you think

Helbock

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

RuFanCM wrote:

> a couple of years ago, my parents bought me an iguana. I later had to give it
> away because the smell was unbearable. No matter how well I took care of him
> or cleaned his cage (i was even cleaning it every day, but it didn't help!) I
> could not get rid of the stench. It smelled like urine. It stunk up the whole
> house.
>
> Does anybody know what could cause this?

Hmm. All the iguanas I've known smelled a hell of a lot better than
carnivorous herps. In fact, they never really smelled at all once the
daily movements were cleaned. Even the poop itself didn't smell as bad
as that of a carnivorous animal (and I have a fairly sensitive nose). I
can't stand the smell of mouse-fed snake or lizard poop. Smaller
arthropod-fed lizards aren't bad but I'd never keep another rodent-fed
herp in my living space. Gag!

The liquid excrement must have soaked into the cage material or the
substrate or something. If you were cleaning the cage daily, I can't
imagine the odor being as bad as you describe. Most curious...

You didn't have an jealous unfixed male cat pissing all over the house
trying to "frame" the iguana did you? ;-) Maybe you just have very acute
olfactory senses (a mixed blessing). Bummer you had to part with your
lizard.

Richard
--
Richard C. Helbock
Post Office Box 1551

Elaphe292

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

* possible that the iguana had an internal infestation of some kind of
parasite(s)

* possible that the iguana's cage while being cleaned regularly was not being
disinfected properly.

* possible that if the cage was made of wood that odor from the waste material
seeped in.

* possible that the iguana had some kind of festering infection that you were
not aware of.

* possible that if your iguana was allowed to roam free from time to time that
he/she defecated outside of the cage in a spot that you did not notice.

Overall it is NOT normal for an iguana to smell like you say this one
was/causing.

Elaphe292
< @aol.com >

Ginni Diaz

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

A girlfriend has an ig and a cat. Cat likes to "spray" near the cage. This caused
a similar problem until kitty was restricted thru training not to do this.

Phil Woolfson

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

The filter sponge in Herbert's pond , when cleaned, has a strong "zoo"
smell.(includes ig, slider, goldfish poop) The room smell is however not
noticable to me.

Phil M. Woolfson
tu...@spamsomeoneelse.erols.com
Home of the Rainforest Project