Which bulb for leopard gecko?

MN

Jan 20, 2002, 8:00:55 PM1/20/02
Would I be best buying a 40w or 60w bulb for a 24x12x16 (20g) glass
tank? (Assuming I want a temperature gradiant from 84-88o for a leopard
gecko)...Thanks for any suggestions!

Jeff Wagner

Jan 20, 2002, 8:44:17 PM1/20/02
In article <3C4B67E4...@NOSPAMyahoo.com>, MN
<tika...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

I personally would get the 60 or 75 watt DARK blue heat bulb for that
size tank. Or get a ceramic heat emitter and rig up a dimmer switch to
it so you can dial in the temp you want. Come to think of it if you are
moderatly electrically inclined you can make a dimmer switch controller
and use it on any heat bulb you want. If you had one I would get a 100
watt bulb then turn it down with the dimmer switch to the rigth temp.
Or just get the 60-75 watt bulb in the first place. I would personally
avoid red bulbs with leopard geckos as mine seem to have trouble seeing
with red light in the tank. your milage may vary.

Jeff

--
_______________________
Jeff Wagner

1-0-0 Patternless Leopard Gecko
1-0-0 High Yellow Leopard Gecko
0-2-0 Tremper Albino Leopard Geckos
0-2-0 Orange Tangerine Leopard Geckos
1-0-0 Albino Okeetee Corn Snake
1-0-0 Okeetee Corn Snake
1-1-0 Albino Nelsons Milk snakes
0-0-1 Bearded Dragon - coming soon
1-0-0 Ornate Box Turtle

Scott Solar

Jan 21, 2002, 5:57:24 PM1/21/02
I'd recommend no lights for a nocturnal gecko instead using a Zoomed
Under Tank Heater sized for the tank.

Incidentally your dimensions make a 15 gallon tank.

--
If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Kind Regards;

Scott Solar
Amazon Reptile Center
909.447.5103

Currently buying many reptiles.
Please email with wholesale price lists.

Snakela...@webtv.net

Jan 21, 2002, 9:31:04 PM1/21/02
I would go with both the 60 watt & 75 watt bulbs. I use common
household incandescent bulbs for days & either red or black incandescent
light bulbs for the night time. I use a 75 watt for days & a 60 watt for
nights on that size leopard gecko vivarium. Of course much depends on
your ambient room temperature. I don't recommend
ceramic heat emitters for such a small tank. They would put out far too
much heat possibly cooking your gecko. Also when attached to a dimmer
switch or rheostat they tend to burn out rather quickly in my
experience. Also ceramic heat emitters are expensive (about $40) when
compared to normal light bulbs at 4/$1.00. Wal-Mart has inexpensive 60
watt black light bulbs that work as well as any product specifically
made for reptiles at about $3-4. I would also
invest in a good thermometer. It's best to set up your vivarium &
measure the temps prior to getting your leopard gecko. Be sure to
provide for a temperature gradient. Good luck with your new pet. Leopard
geckos are simple yet rewarding captives. snake lady

"Medicine to produce health has to examine disease" Plutarch
http://community.webtv.net/SnakeladysFarm/SnakeLadysReptile0

Sarah Hancock

Jan 22, 2002, 12:46:00 PM1/22/02
Silly question, I suppose, but not knowing anything about lights, does it
matter if it's a 75 watt zoo med "specially for reptiles" light, or just any
old 75 Watt light from the drugstore??

Chris McMartin

Jan 22, 2002, 3:40:43 PM1/22/02
"Sarah Hancock" <psyc...@home.com> wrote in message

Short answer: yes, it does matter. I'll leave the long answer to those who
know more as to the specs of the various light brands.

Chris
--
http://www.mcmartinville.com
Last Update 21 December 2001

Jeff Wagner

Jan 22, 2002, 11:05:16 PM1/22/02

Alternate short answer:

What are you using the light for? Heat? UV? What kind of lizard?

For heat they will work as good

No UVB in walmart bulbs

Jeff

In article <f7k38.26307$XZ1.1...@typhoon.austin.rr.com>, Chris

Spidey

Jan 27, 2002, 11:48:29 AM1/27/02
Leos have no special light requirements so a normal houshold lamp is OK. The
wattage you choose will depend upon the ambient temp in your house.
I use 9W energy efficient lamp for my leos vivarium (ie very little heat,
only light so humans can see them OK) and use a heatpad under the substrate
(and under the vivarium base) to provide heating.. This is thermostatically
controlled.

TonyM
www.amanton.co.uk

Chris McMartin <newsg...@mountainboomer.com> wrote in message

kalyng...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2019, 4:55:02 PM12/26/19
Just an FYI red lights are great bc lizards can’t actually see red light 😬