Tarantulas and marijuana

Ron Robbins

Apr 11, 2003, 3:05:15 PM4/11/03
I'm surprised nobody has asked this before, but is it safe to
smoke marijuana around tarantulas? I know some aerosol cans
and the like can make them sick, or actually kill them.
I mean, will it alter their "growth habits"?
I've kept many tarantulas in the past 12 years, and it seems
like none of them have grown to their species' expectancy,
and they moult very infrequently, sometimes once every few
years. I'm keeping the conditions in the terrerium correctly.
I'm 100% sure they had mild to moderate exposure to second
hand marijuana smoke. Maybe it stunts their growth, or
something?
Seriously, if anyone has any insight into this, or anything
to add, let me know.

c1c0

Apr 11, 2003, 3:11:45 PM4/11/03

"Ron Robbins" <mir...@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

If not consumed in excessive doses, on humans marihuana has many benefits.
works for cataract, appetite, asthma and others.

Anna

Huntryder79

Apr 11, 2003, 3:27:59 PM4/11/03
I would not smoke anything around my animals. I only smoke ciggs (trying to
quit), but I wouldn't risk their well being. My tarantulas and frogs are in
my bedroom behind a closed door.

Leanne

re

Apr 11, 2003, 6:58:48 PM4/11/03
How about a experiment ?
Two tarantulas with the same cage conditions. Relatively same age, health
etc. Then, you hotbox one tank about three times a day, leaving the other
tarantula smoke-free. If smokey the spider goes belly up in a week, but the
drug-free tarantula is still kicking, then you may consider narcotics
anonymous your best option for tarantula husbandry.
http://www.marijuana-anonymous.org
my .02
Ryan
"Huntryder79" <huntr...@aol.com> wrote in message

fr0glet

Apr 11, 2003, 5:12:44 PM4/11/03
"Ron Robbins" <mir...@yahoo.com> wrote...

> I'm 100% sure they had mild to moderate exposure to second
> hand marijuana smoke. Maybe it stunts their growth, or
> something?

Well, they probably suffer numbing to the hippocampus of their brains,
resulting in short term memory loss. They might have increased appetites,
scientifically known as "the munchies". You'll notice their 8 eyes appear
bloodshot and dry. They'll be seen smacking their lips together trying to
work up some saliva. You may observe ridiculous giggling for no apparent
reason, and if given the opportunity you may find them to be voracious
maters.

Also, long-term exposure to carcinogens definately increases risk of cancer.

In short, I bet it's not good for them, and they'll live through it but not
live as well as if you hadn't ever exposed them.

fr0glet

Ron Robbins

Apr 11, 2003, 11:58:00 PM4/11/03
"re" <ryane...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<v9ebde8...@corp.supernews.com>...

I'm not talking about smoke boxing the animal's cage, i'm talking
about mild exposure to second hand marijuana smoke.

antarcticus

Apr 12, 2003, 2:13:37 AM4/12/03

"Ron Robbins" <mir...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Congrats Ron, 12 whole years to realize the fact that a smoky room is not a
healthy environment for a living creature.
Woooow, your brain is like totally messed up dude.

AdmRepinFL612

Apr 12, 2003, 4:21:06 AM4/12/03
there all right stoner.....lol

RTF10

Apr 12, 2003, 5:06:23 AM4/12/03
My scorpion don't seem to mind.

RTF10

Apr 12, 2003, 5:07:54 AM4/12/03
You'll just have to give them more crickets to eat.

Ron Robbins

Apr 13, 2003, 4:10:45 AM4/13/03
"antarcticus" <nos...@this.addressplease.com> wrote in message news:<3e97b0ba$0$3467$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>...

The room the tarantulas are in does not get smokey, but other
rooms (in the small house) occassionally do. I'm also fairly
well ventilated in this room.
Thanks for your astoundingly non-informative reply, and your
completely unjustified opinion, you dumbass.
Also, you should offer some supporting arguements, when you
so openly assess and criticize how someone else's brain works,
because i'm not entirely clear why my brain is so messed up.
When you post comments like this, you are looking extremely
ignorant yourself, because you're letting the entire world
know what a terrible judge of character, and complete egotist
you are, underneath your trendy clothing and your fucking
thick skull.

Ron Robbins

Apr 13, 2003, 4:16:11 AM4/13/03
rt...@aol.com (RTF10) wrote in message news:<20030412050623...@mb-ce.aol.com>...

> My scorpion don't seem to mind.

Neither do my tarantulas, but I can't help but wonder if my
opinion is flawed, because i've never seen them when they
weren't around it, at least to some extent.

antarcticus

Apr 13, 2003, 7:29:34 AM4/13/03

> > Congrats Ron, 12 whole years to realize the fact that a smoky room is
not a
> > healthy environment for a living creature.
> > Woooow, your brain is like totally messed up dude.
>

> The room the are in does not get smokey, but other

> rooms (in the small house) occassionally do. I'm also fairly
> well ventilated in this room.
> Thanks for your astoundingly non-informative reply, and your
> completely unjustified opinion, you dumbass.
> Also, you should offer some supporting arguements, when you
> so openly assess and criticize how someone else's brain works,
> because i'm not entirely clear why my brain is so messed up.
> When you post comments like this, you are looking extremely
> ignorant yourself, because you're letting the entire world
> know what a terrible judge of character, and complete egotist
> you are, underneath your trendy clothing and your fucking
> thick skull.

Sorry for being so harsh Ron, but at the time I could not find my archived
scientific white papers detailing the effects of secondary marijuana smoke
on tarantulas.
You ask if pot smoking in your house is effecting your spiders health? I
think you already knew the answer when you posted the question. Here's a
clue - remove the problem from the cause and see what happens.
It's called research, something that may help fill in your day.

Dr. Barbara Horwitz

Apr 13, 2003, 8:04:50 AM4/13/03
The 'thinking' behind some questions is so interesting, and revelatory,
not of the answers to the questions, but of human nature per se. "We",
the 'we' here being the medical community, could not, for the longest
time, get people to stop smoking by saying, 'You are going to die',
but we could have gotten people to stop smoking if we could have said,
'you are going to die NOW, or TOMORROW by noon, or five ciggies from
now.'

It's that immature world where 'sometime' means 'never' and only
immediacy cuts any ice, and once people become polysyllabic, they
think they are grown past this sort of thinking, not so!

Moontanman

Apr 13, 2003, 10:04:52 AM4/13/03
I've read research that shows that spiders make funny shaped webs when they are
exposed to cannibus. Tobacco smoke would be much more dangerous because
nicotine is an insecticide.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me

fr0glet

Apr 13, 2003, 12:45:15 PM4/13/03
"Moontanman" <moont...@aol.comnospam> wrote...

> I've read research that shows that spiders make funny shaped webs when
they are
> exposed to cannibus. Tobacco smoke would be much more dangerous because
> nicotine is an insecticide.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to this:

http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html

As you can see, caffeine will REALLY blow your mind and LSD can help you
acheive perfection. Granted, the comparison shows hashish rather than
marijuana, but as hashish is just compressed/chemically altered THC from
marijuana it has the same effect on the mind and body (although moreso).
Doesn't look like the spider on hash was doing bad at all!

fr0glet

Cindy

Apr 13, 2003, 1:22:15 PM4/13/03

"Ron Robbins" <mir...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well, you could keep the door to the room they're in closed and put an air
cleaner in there. OR, you could stop smoking in the house. Or even
altogether, if you're really worried about it!

Cindy

Cindy

Apr 13, 2003, 1:25:17 PM4/13/03

> I'm pretty sure you're referring to this:
>
> http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html
>
> As you can see, caffeine will REALLY blow your mind and LSD can help you
> acheive perfection. Granted, the comparison shows hashish rather than
> marijuana, but as hashish is just compressed/chemically altered THC from
> marijuana it has the same effect on the mind and body (although moreso).
> Doesn't look like the spider on hash was doing bad at all!
>
> fr0glet

Wow, what a GREAT site! I love it! LOL
I just hope the caffeine isn't doing to my brain what it did to the
spider's....I may have to abstain....

Cindy

fr0glet

Apr 13, 2003, 1:55:56 PM4/13/03
"Cindy" <cinshep@@@3rivers.net> wrote...

> fr0glet wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure you're referring to this:
> >
> > http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html
> >
> Wow, what a GREAT site! I love it! LOL
> I just hope the caffeine isn't doing to my brain what it did to the
> spider's....I may have to abstain....

ABSTAIN?!?!?!?!?!?!~#?~?#!~!@ OK, I might be a caffeine addict. But hey I
didn't need the ability to blink anyway! :D

fr0glet (on the 2nd pot of the day!)

Cindy

Apr 13, 2003, 2:42:38 PM4/13/03

> > Wow, what a GREAT site! I love it! LOL
> > I just hope the caffeine isn't doing to my brain what it did to the
> > spider's....I may have to abstain....
>
> ABSTAIN?!?!?!?!?!?!~#?~?#!~!@ OK, I might be a caffeine addict. But hey I
> didn't need the ability to blink anyway! :D
>
> fr0glet (on the 2nd pot of the day!)

I drink tea, but I put two or three bags in the cup or twice the amount of
leaves and drink it all day. Been trying to drink some straight water, but
it's hard to remember. :)

Cindy

fr0glet

Apr 13, 2003, 3:14:23 PM4/13/03
"Cindy" <cinshep@@@3rivers.net> wrote...
> fr0glet wrote:
> > ABSTAIN?!?!?!?!?!?!~#?~?#!~!@ OK, I might be a caffeine addict.
> >

> I drink tea, but I put two or three bags in the cup or twice the amount of
> leaves and drink it all day. Been trying to drink some straight water,
but it's hard to remember. :)

Caffeine being the diuretic that it is always makes me feel dehydrated if I
don't chase it with a ton of water. Sometimes I drink 2 gallons of water in
a day!

fr0glet

Snake Whisperer

Apr 13, 2003, 5:04:15 PM4/13/03
When you post comments like this, you are looking extremely ignorant
yourself, because you're letting the entire world know what a terrible
judge of character, and complete egotist you are, underneath your trendy
clothing and your fucking thick skull.
little ronny robbins
000000zero0000000
<smile>

later,
Pete
Teach someone the Golden Rule.
http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters

Snake Whisperer

Apr 13, 2003, 5:57:56 PM4/13/03
hashish is just compressed/chemically altered THC from marijuana it has
the same effect on the mind and body (although moreso). Doesn't look
like the spider on hash was doing bad at all!
fr0glet
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What spider?!?!?

M/W Online Dictionary
One entry found for hashish.
: the concentrated resin from the flowering tops of the female hemp
plant (Cannabis sativa) that is smoked, chewed, or drunk for its
intoxicating effect --

Snake Whisperer

Apr 13, 2003, 5:50:51 PM4/13/03
My scorpion don't seem to mind.
Neither do my tarantulas,
????????????????
Well, DUH!

Ron Robbins

Apr 13, 2003, 6:23:28 PM4/13/03
"fr0glet" <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote in message news:<v9j4sf...@corp.supernews.com>...

Haha, that's crazy. Nice link.

fr0glet

Apr 13, 2003, 6:48:13 PM4/13/03
"Snake Whisperer" <SnakeB...@webtv.net> wrote...

The one who spun the web on this page! http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html

> M/W Online Dictionary
> One entry found for hashish.
> : the concentrated resin

Yes, concentrated resin. That's what I meant by compressed/chemically
altered THC. Want me to post a recipe?!? ;)

fr0glet

Mistress of Dragons

Apr 13, 2003, 7:48:59 PM4/13/03

"fr0glet" <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote ...

Well, during the first 2 or 3 hours of waking I can get through around a
gallon of coffee! ... yup, I'm a caffiene addict too <g> During the day I
drink a fair amount of water and then later in the evening, usually while
I'm on the computer, I can get through another gallon of diet coke!

And I wonder why I have problems sleeping :D

Chloe

Ron Robbins

Apr 13, 2003, 11:57:49 PM4/13/03
SnakeB...@webtv.net (Snake Whisperer) wrote in message news:<6315-3E...@storefull-2352.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

I actually am considerably short. I am only 5'6".

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 12:02:35 AM4/14/03
"fr0glet" <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote in message news:<v9jq4uq...@corp.supernews.com>...

It might be an interesting read. I wouldn't mind if you posted it. ;p

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 12:39:00 AM4/14/03
Clai...@webtv.net (Dr. Barbara Horwitz) wrote in message news:<21493-3E9...@storefull-2354.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

Okay.

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 12:52:43 AM4/14/03
"Cindy" <cinshep@@@3rivers.net> wrote in message news:<luudnRABDqA...@vnet-inc.com>...

I would sell my beloved tarantulas before I'd give up on the
almighty sacred cannabis. Would you like to buy an elderly
male Chilean Rose Tarantula? I'll give you the goliath bird
spider for $75. I payed around $250 or something, when I
first bought it.
Anyway, I have another question, also.
What does everyone think about setting up marijuana plants
in the animal's terrerium as scenery? I've read about how
you can set up living plants in their terrerium, and that
might look cool sitting in the middle of his tank.

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 1:02:01 AM4/14/03
SnakeB...@webtv.net (Snake Whisperer) wrote in message news:<6306-3E9...@storefull-2352.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

How can you be sure they weren't somehow affected by the exposure,
though? By the way, I think it would be pretty fucking cool if my
tarantula got all high, and started spinning crazy looking webs,
and attacking every living thing in it's cage, after it got the
munchies. hahahahaha.
My cat actually likes being around it. It's crazy.

Cindy

Apr 14, 2003, 1:04:43 AM4/14/03

> I would sell my beloved tarantulas before I'd give up on the
> almighty sacred cannabis. Would you like to buy an elderly
> male Chilean Rose Tarantula? I'll give you the goliath bird
> spider for $75. I payed around $250 or something, when I
> first bought it.
> Anyway, I have another question, also.
> What does everyone think about setting up marijuana plants
> in the animal's terrerium as scenery? I've read about how
> you can set up living plants in their terrerium, and that
> might look cool sitting in the middle of his tank.

Hehe well, it was a thought.
Not into spiders, thanks.
Don't the plants get too big for that?

Cindy

fr0glet

Apr 14, 2003, 1:20:04 AM4/14/03
Cindy wrote:

>Ron Robbins wrote:
>>What does everyone think about setting up marijuana plants
>>in the animal's terrerium as scenery? I've read about how
>>you can set up living plants in their terrerium, and that
>>might look cool sitting in the middle of his tank.
>
> Don't the plants get too big for that?

Yes, they get too big (shooting up to 6'-8' in a matter of months), plus
the plant dies off every year and completely regrows annually... and the
BIG risk: female cannibis plants grow/excrete toxic stuff, like crystals
and sensimillia and oils. Those things could kill off your spider. The
buds are often so sticky your poor T could tear off a bunch of hairs.
Not to mention the pungent odor produced by a cannibis plant.

If you had a guaranteed male plant, you might pull it off, as it doesn't
bud or bloom, doesn't have any crystals and doesn't get as big. They
still shoot up tall, fast. But then it would be just for show!

I would also think it would depend on the humidity requirements of your
T. I'm sure the T could live through the necessary temps to grow
cannibis but the humidity needs of the plant could be a problem.

hth.
fr0glet

DCLXVI

Apr 14, 2003, 2:07:33 AM4/14/03
Ron Robbins wrote:

[snip]

> What does everyone think about setting up marijuana plants
> in the animal's terrerium as scenery? I've read about how
> you can set up living plants in their terrerium, and that
> might look cool sitting in the middle of his tank.

==================

Sounds as if you should consider moving to the Tarantula's native range,
not vice versa. I suggest Bolivia.
All that Erythroxylon-something-or-other shrubbery... Think, rather, of
all the plants the tarantula could put in the terrarium it keeps YOU in.

DC

fr0glet

Apr 14, 2003, 1:28:43 AM4/14/03
Ron Robbins wrote:
> "fr0glet" <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote...
>>"Snake Whisperer" <SnakeB...@webtv.net> wrote...

>>>M/W Online Dictionary
>>>One entry found for hashish.
>>>: the concentrated resin
>>
>>Yes, concentrated resin. That's what I meant by compressed/chemically
>>altered THC. Want me to post a recipe?!? ;)
>>
>>fr0glet
>

> It might be an interesting read. I wouldn't mind if you posted it. ;p

Nah, it's a really boring recipe and I wouldn't want something like that
associated with my alias. I'm sure you can look it up online. :)

fr0glet

Snake Whisperer

Apr 14, 2003, 4:49:50 AM4/14/03
The resin used to be collected by virgin girls running naked through
fields of Cannibis indica, taking a break now and then to scrape their
bare bodies free of the accumulated resin and sweat.

Snake Whisperer

Apr 14, 2003, 4:55:16 AM4/14/03
How can you be sure they weren't somehow affected by the exposure,
though?
?????????????
Hence the DUH! Of course they were.

Bruce Webber

Apr 14, 2003, 6:58:27 AM4/14/03
Snake Whisperer wrote:
> The resin used to be collected by virgin girls running naked through
> fields of Cannibis indica, taking a break now and then to scrape their
> bare bodies free of the accumulated resin and sweat.

Posts like these are one of the reasons I come back to this NG on a
daily basis. :)

--
Bruce Webber
bruceREM...@hotmail.com

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 7:15:15 AM4/14/03
"Cindy" <cinshep@@@3rivers.net> wrote in message news:<lv6dnaYkRr7...@vnet-inc.com>...

Well, that's a good point. They would outgrow his ten gallon tank.

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 7:17:32 AM4/14/03
fr0glet <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote in message news:<v9kh3lg...@corp.supernews.com>...

Yeah, i'd have to get a male plant. It might look cool for show,
though. hehe.

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 7:19:28 AM4/14/03
DCLXVI <DC@Checkered_Daemon.zap> wrote in message news:<nurma.19481$c42....@fe01.atl2.webusenet.com>...

If a tarantula was going to keep me in a terrarium, and put
plants in with me, I'd certainly rather have cannabis plants. ;)

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 7:26:53 AM4/14/03
"fr0glet" <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote in message news:<v9j4sf...@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Moontanman" <moont...@aol.comnospam> wrote...
> > I've read research that shows that spiders make funny shaped webs when
> they are
> > exposed to cannibus. Tobacco smoke would be much more dangerous because
> > nicotine is an insecticide.
>
> I'm pretty sure you're referring to this:
>
> http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html
>
> As you can see, caffeine will REALLY blow your mind and LSD can help you
> acheive perfection. Granted, the comparison shows hashish rather than
> marijuana, but as hashish is just compressed/chemically altered THC from

> marijuana it has the same effect on the mind and body (although moreso).
> Doesn't look like the spider on hash was doing bad at all!
>
> fr0glet

Isn't LSD also used to tranquillize horses, or something?
It doesn't sound very exciting to me. :P

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 7:32:30 AM4/14/03
"Cindy" <cinshep@@@3rivers.net> wrote in message news:<-b2dnaZYaov...@vnet-inc.com>...

> > I'm pretty sure you're referring to this:
> >
> > http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html
> >
> > As you can see, caffeine will REALLY blow your mind and LSD can help you
> > acheive perfection. Granted, the comparison shows hashish rather than
> > marijuana, but as hashish is just compressed/chemically altered THC from
> > marijuana it has the same effect on the mind and body (although moreso).
> > Doesn't look like the spider on hash was doing bad at all!
> >
> > fr0glet
> >

> Wow, what a GREAT site! I love it! LOL
> I just hope the caffeine isn't doing to my brain what it did to the
> spider's....I may have to abstain....
>
> Cindy

We should go out sometime and get married, or something.
What do you think?

Cindy

Apr 14, 2003, 10:09:27 AM4/14/03

> > Wow, what a GREAT site! I love it! LOL
> > I just hope the caffeine isn't doing to my brain what it did to the
> > spider's....I may have to abstain....
> >
> > Cindy
>
> We should go out sometime and get married, or something.
> What do you think?

Well, you'd have to smoke on the doorstep, because I quit smoking pot before
I got out of high school. Affects me badly. That site just reminds me of
my younger days.
Sorry. :)

Cindy

fr0glet

Apr 14, 2003, 10:20:43 AM4/14/03
Ron Robbins wrote:

> "fr0glet" <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote in message news:<v9j4sf...@corp.supernews.com>...

>>http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html
>>
>>As you can see, caffeine will REALLY blow your mind and LSD can help you
>>acheive perfection.
>

> Isn't LSD also used to tranquillize horses, or something?
> It doesn't sound very exciting to me. :P

Um. No. That's Ketamine, which is NOT a hallucinogenic. Ketamine is
a disassociative, generally dubbed "not fun" by recreational drug
users. LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide) does not have any
tranquilizing effects, nor does it have any clinical or scientific
use (aside from mind-expansion, of course).

There's some nice simple and reliable information on drugs over at
http://www.dancesafe.org, then click "Drug Info" on the left.

hth. hand.
fr0glet

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 3:38:40 PM4/14/03
SnakeB...@webtv.net (Snake Whisperer) wrote in message news:<20903-3E...@storefull-2355.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

Now you're just confusing me. It's not a hard thing to do, though.

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 3:41:29 PM4/14/03
"Cindy" <cinshep@@@3rivers.net> wrote in message news:<x4ScnfBJZcq...@vnet-inc.com>...

I should quit, I just don't really want to badly enough.

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 3:44:57 PM4/14/03
SnakeB...@webtv.net (Snake Whisperer) wrote in message news:<20903-3E...@storefull-2355.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

I hope that's what Heaven is like, that would be cool. haha.

Ron Robbins

Apr 14, 2003, 3:49:09 PM4/14/03
fr0glet <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote in message news:<v9lgpcg...@corp.supernews.com>...

I'm not much of an addict, in fact, i only smoke pot occassionally.
Thanks for the link, though, I'll check that site out.
"There is no knowledge that is not power." :)

fr0glet

Apr 14, 2003, 10:10:14 PM4/14/03
Ron Robbins wrote:
> fr0glet <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote...
>>Ron Robbins wrote:
>>>"fr0glet" <fr0...@fr0glet.hates.spambots.org> wrote...

>>>Isn't LSD also used to tranquillize horses, or something?
>>>It doesn't sound very exciting to me. :P
>>
>>Um. No. That's Ketamine, which is NOT a hallucinogenic. Ketamine is
>>a disassociative, generally dubbed "not fun" by recreational drug
>>users. LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide) does not have any
>>tranquilizing effects, nor does it have any clinical or scientific
>>use (aside from mind-expansion, of course).
>>
>>There's some nice simple and reliable information on drugs over at
>>http://www.dancesafe.org, then click "Drug Info" on the left.
>
> I'm not much of an addict, in fact, i only smoke pot occassionally.
> Thanks for the link, though, I'll check that site out.
> "There is no knowledge that is not power." :)

Um... when did we start talking about addicts? I have a whole
diatribe saved up on that subject if you'd like to go into it. :)

Besides, neither marijuana nor LSD are addictive. No idea on Ketamine.

fr0glet

fr0glet

Apr 14, 2003, 10:48:35 PM4/14/03
"Bruce Webber" <bruceREM...@hotmail.com> wrote...

> Snake Whisperer wrote:
> > The resin used to be collected by virgin girls running naked through
> > fields of Cannibis indica, taking a break now and then to scrape their
> > bare bodies free of the accumulated resin and sweat.
>
> Posts like these are one of the reasons I come back to this NG on a
> daily basis. :)

And THANKS for the VISUAL!!! :D

fr0glet

Snake Whisperer

Apr 15, 2003, 12:20:33 AM4/15/03
Isn't LSD also used to tranquillize horses, or something? It doesn't
sound very exciting to me. :P
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PCP.

Ron Robbins

Apr 15, 2003, 12:46:25 AM4/15/03
"c1c0" <robeton...@tin.it> wrote in message news:<RrEla.437$LB6....@news1.tin.it>...
> "Ron Robbins" <mir...@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I'm surprised nobody has asked this before, but is it safe to
> > smoke marijuana around tarantulas? I know some aerosol cans
> > and the like can make them sick, or actually kill them.
> > I mean, will it alter their "growth habits"?
> > I've kept many tarantulas in the past 12 years, and it seems
> > like none of them have grown to their species' expectancy,
> > and they moult very infrequently, sometimes once every few
> > years. I'm keeping the conditions in the terrerium correctly.
> > I'm 100% sure they had mild to moderate exposure to second
> > hand marijuana smoke. Maybe it stunts their growth, or
> > something?
> > Seriously, if anyone has any insight into this, or anything
> > to add, let me know.
>
> If not consumed in excessive doses, on humans marihuana has many benefits.
> works for cataract, appetite, asthma and others.
>
> Anna

I was discussing this thread with a friend of mine, and a search
on google by him revealed this: http://www.mamas.org/fjudge.htm
It has some very interesting facts on that site.

Ron Robbins

Apr 15, 2003, 12:50:25 AM4/15/03
rt...@aol.com (RTF10) wrote in message news:<20030412050754...@mb-ce.aol.com>...
> You'll just have to give them more crickets to eat.

I wonder what would happen if i dusted his crickets with cannabis
dust, after he got the munchines?

c1c0

Apr 15, 2003, 6:29:29 AM4/15/03
I can't view the page.

Snake Whisperer

Apr 15, 2003, 6:18:05 AM4/15/03
I wonder what would happen if i dusted his crickets with cannabis dust,
after he got the munchines?
????????????????
Wouldn't work. T survives on a liquid cricket diet. Sucked fresh out of
the crik.

Ron Robbins

Apr 15, 2003, 2:20:14 PM4/15/03
SnakeB...@webtv.net (Snake Whisperer) wrote in message news:<19704-3E9...@storefull-2354.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

Are you sure the venom would not break down the cannabis as well?
Occassionally, my tarantula will just consume the entire cricket,
flesh and all. That's usually only when the crickets are a few
sizes "too small", though. Larger ones he will leave the flesh
intact.

Ron Robbins

Apr 15, 2003, 2:26:52 PM4/15/03
"c1c0" <robeton...@tin.it> wrote in message news:<daRma.15956$LB6.4...@news1.tin.it>...

That's weird, the page works fine for me.
Try http://209.249.52.98/fjudge.htm
Anyway, since a few other people I know are having this problem,
I will just paste the aforementioned interesting material here.

-- stuff --

WHY WON'T THE
DRUG ENFORCEMENT
ADMINISTRATION
(DEA) LISTEN TO ITS
OWN ADMINISTRATIVE
LAW JUDGE,
FRANCIS L. YOUNG,
REGARDING MEDICAL USE OF
CANNABIS?

In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition

FINDINGS OF FACT

Richard J. Gralla, MD, an oncologist and Professor of Medicine who was
an Agency witness, accepts that in treating cancer patients,
oncologists can use the cannabinoids with safety despite their side
effects.

Andrew T. Weil, MD, who now practices medicine in Tucson, Arizona and
is on the faculty of the College of Medicine, University of Arizona,
was a member of the first team of researchers to perform a Federal
Government-authorized study into the effects of marijuana on human
subjects. This team made its study in 1968. These researchers
determined that marijuana could be used safely under medical
supervision. In the twenty years since then, Dr. Weil has seen no
information that would cause him to reconsider that conclusion. There
is no question in his mind that marijuana is safe for use under
appropriate medical supervision.

The most obvious concern when dealing with drug safety is the
possibility of lethal effect. Can the drug cause death?

Nearly all medicines have a toxic, potentially lethal effect, but
marijuana is not such a substance. There is no known record in the
extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented
cannabis-induced fatality.

This is a remarkable statement. First, the record on marijuana
encompasses 5,000 years of human experience. Second, marijuana is now
used daily by enormous numbers of people throughout the world.
Estimates suggest that from twenty to fifty million Americans
routinely, albeit illegally, smoke marijuana without the benefit of
direct medical supervision. Yet, despite this long history of use and
the extraordinarily high numbers of social smokers, there are simply
no credible reports to suggest that consuming marijuana has caused a
single death.

By contrast, aspirin, a commonly-used, over-the-counter medicine,
causes hundreds of deaths each year.

Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called LD-50. The
LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage 50% of test animals receiving a
drug will die as a result of drug-induced toxicity. A number of
researchers have attempted to determine marijuana's LD-50 rating in
test animals, without success. Simply stated, researchers have been
unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death.

OPINION AND RECOMMENDED
RULING, FINDING OF FACT,
CONCLUSION OF LAW AND
DECISION by FRANCIS L. YOUNG,
DEA Administrative Law Judge

At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000
or 1:40,000. In layman's terms, this means that in order to induce
death, a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times
as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. A
NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarette has approximately .9 grams. A smoker
would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana
within fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.

In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a
result of drug-related toxicity.

- 57 -

15. In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we
commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a
toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat
enough marijuana to induce death.

16. Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest
therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of
rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised
routine of medical care.

Ron Robbins

Apr 15, 2003, 2:33:59 PM4/15/03
"Cindy" <cinshep@@@3rivers.net> wrote in message news:<-b2dnaZYaov...@vnet-inc.com>...
> > I'm pretty sure you're referring to this:
> >
> > http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html
> >
> > As you can see, caffeine will REALLY blow your mind and LSD can help you
> > acheive perfection. Granted, the comparison shows hashish rather than
> > marijuana, but as hashish is just compressed/chemically altered THC from
> > marijuana it has the same effect on the mind and body (although moreso).
> > Doesn't look like the spider on hash was doing bad at all!
> >
> > fr0glet
> >

> Wow, what a GREAT site! I love it! LOL
> I just hope the caffeine isn't doing to my brain what it did to the
> spider's....I may have to abstain....
>
> Cindy

No doubt. I have been taking caffeine pills for years, along with the
Desoxyn I take for ADHD. I noticed consuming caffeine after I have
taken my medicine, speeds up the effects of it.
It would be crazy, if on some subconscious level I actually keep taking
the caffeine because it has these effects on my brain that i've never
really stopped long enough to notice. haha.

Ron Robbins

Apr 15, 2003, 2:48:40 PM4/15/03
SnakeB...@webtv.net (Snake Whisperer) wrote in message news:<1630-3E9...@storefull-2353.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

Thanks. PCP was what I was thinking of. I had this shitty little
class in middle school (several years ago, it's amazing I still
remember any of it so clearly). Anyway, they tought this class
very early in the morning, when most of us were half asleep,
and too tired to think for ourselves, and they tought us about
the effects of LSD, PCP, and Psilocybin. I don't even think they
mentioned other drugs, including Marijuana. I think maybe the
reason they never went into Marijuana, was because it's not even
dangerous. Anyway, I know several people who also were in this
class, that either have, or do currently use marijuana.
Also, this was an "Academically Talented" class, that only
people who scored high on the SATs, or MEAPs, or whatever it was,
were allowed to attend. The other students had no drug education,
that I know of. I guess it wasn't a complete waste, though.
I've never even considered using PCP, LSD, or Psilocybin, since
then. And before that, I had never even heard of them.

antarcticus

Apr 15, 2003, 8:38:40 PM4/15/03

"Ron Robbins" <mir...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Isn't LSD also used to tranquillize horses, or something?
> It doesn't sound very exciting to me. :P

Antipsychotic drugs - used in humans for treating schizophrenia, a very
effective tranquilliser for large and aggressive animals

fr0glet

Apr 16, 2003, 12:11:35 AM4/16/03
"Ron Robbins" <mir...@yahoo.com> wrote...

> and they tought us about
> the effects of LSD, PCP, and Psilocybin. I don't even think they
> mentioned other drugs, including Marijuana. I think maybe the
> reason they never went into Marijuana, was because it's not even
> dangerous.

Uhhhh..... so you're saying even though you use marijuana on a regular basis
you haven't researched the potential side effects?

Here's a few of my favorites:

erectile dysfunction (yes, that means limp dick)
embarassing male fat storage (you have the potential to grow titties)
permanent lung damage (potentially fatal cancer)
permanent throat damage (potentially fatal cancer)
short-term memory loss (my personal favorite)

A little background on the short term memory loss for ya... most non-mj
using adults achieve a sleep state prior to REM that allows the hippocampus
of their brain to "lock in" the day's happenings. Basically your brain
rehashes what you did that day and stores the information permanently (btw
this ability deteriorates with age). Many people who do use mj smoke it in
the evening. THC crystals when vaporized slow activity in your hippocampus
to a near stop (brain-numbing ganja, dude). Since it's already evening,
these people are likely to now go to bed/sleep and achieve the sleep state
that SHOULD be locking in memories. Unfortunately since they just toasted
their hippocampus, they're unable to store the data properly and often
cannot remember it later.

> I guess it wasn't a complete waste, though.
> I've never even considered using PCP, LSD, or Psilocybin, since
> then. And before that, I had never even heard of them.

Please don't lump LSD and psilocybin in with PCP, they're really nothing
alike. I'm glad that you took a nice middle school course for gifted
children, but remember that The Man was pumping information down your little
throat with the intent of Keeping Kids Off Drugs. I suggest you stop by the
library and pick up Terence McKenna's _Food Of The Gods_ or poke around in
the indexing system for articles written by Timothy Leary. There is a wealth
of information waiting for your brain to absorb, if you're not too stoned.

Cheers :)

fr0glet

Ron Robbins

Apr 16, 2003, 1:16:09 PM4/16/03