PETSMART is selling Iguagas :(

Chris Showers

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

Sad news folks... for a while there I respected PetSmart because they
refused to sell Dogs and Cats and they even have an "Adopt A Pet" process
that they do every Sunday for stray Dogs and Cats. But now, at least at
the one in Winston-Salem, they're selling Spiny Tailed Iguanas :(. The
food offered was green lettuce :((((. The container was ok, I think
around a 50 gallon tank with good lighting and only one in the tank, but
just the fact that they're selling them ticks me off.

Just thought I'd share this.
Chris Showers

vett...@aol.com

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

Not only does Petsmart sell iguana they have about 50 juvieniles in one bin.
I was there when someone was buying one the employee sold them a 10 gallon terrarium and repti-cricket along with it. They didn't mention heating, water, SIZE, anything. I was very disapointed too. They now sell Dumpy frogs too.

Kristen
The earth does not belong to us, we belong to the earth!

RSC Geology

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

Chris Showers wrote:

> Sad news folks... for a while there I respected PetSmart because they
> refused to sell Dogs and Cats and they even have an "Adopt A Pet" process
> that they do every Sunday for stray Dogs and Cats. But now, at least at
> the one in Winston-Salem, they're selling Spiny Tailed Iguanas :(.

The petsmart near me has had a big tank of green iguanas, as well as
aquatic turtles, frogs and newts since it opened. I have never had a
satisfactory experience with that place and very very seldom go there.

Phil Hughes

Tricia

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

RSC Geology <hug...@mail.rancho.cc.ca.us> wrote:

>Chris Showers wrote:
>> Sad news folks... for a while there I respected PetSmart because they
>> refused to sell Dogs and Cats and they even have an "Adopt A Pet" process
>> that they do every Sunday for stray Dogs and Cats. But now, at least at
>> the one in Winston-Salem, they're selling Spiny Tailed Iguanas :(.

Im in Canada and 8 Petsmarts recently opened up here... they are
selling iguanas, waterdragons, various amphibians, some geckos... the
enclosures for them suck, and the people working in the store know
absolutely nothing about reptiles or amphibians at all!

The only good thing that I can say about the situation is that some
of the employees who work in the reptile dept are looking for more
information about how to care for the herps that they have. When they
found out that I know about water dragons they begged me to bring in
my caresheets and help them care for the poor little water dragon that
they have there. Since that time I've also brought them info about a
number of the herps that they are trying to sell... at least some of
them want to help the animals.

New E-mail addresses dra...@icomm.ca, wdr...@interlog.com
new URL addresses http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/

* The Zoo: 4 water dragons, 2 Yellow-backed geckos; ornate box *
* turtle; Eastern box turtle; and Napoleon the iguana! *

_Nathan _Tenny

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

I must have a weird experience. There's a Petsmart down here, and they do
sell iguanas (boo hiss), but to their credit, they do a better job of
presenting those iguanas accurately than the vast majority of other pet
stores. They have too many baby iguanas in an enclosure, I suspect, but
at least they're healthy-looking with a minimum of rubbed noses, and they
aren't eating lettuce; and there's a decent sort of "mini-FAQ" posted next
to the tank that is careful to warn prospective buyers that these things get
BIG, will outgrow essentially any enclosure in the world, have very specific
dietary needs that must be met, and in general are not good beginner lizards.
I think it even recommends leopard geckos as an alternative for people looking
for a first lizard.

That, at least, I view as a step forward. I've seen similar documents in a
couple of stores in the San Diego area---maybe we're just well-educated
herpetologically here?

NT
--
Nathan Tenny nte...@qualcomm.com
Qualcomm, Inc., San Diego, CA http://www.qualcomm.com/~ntenny/

The rec.pets.herp FAQ lives at http://www.qualcomm.com/~ntenny/herps/FAQ.html

Steven Schoenfeld

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

I walked into a PetSmart here in Chicago and they were selling
Ornate Box turtles. They were the healthiest ornate box turtles I ever
saw. They were mostly males with one female. It was feeding time,
crickets. They were chasing them all over the tank and gobbling them
up. I was so pleased I bought the one female. There was a lady working
there who was fairly knoledgable about them. The female I bought's name
is Shana. She is a great turtle. She is healthy, friendly, a bit
fiesty but that's ornate boxturtles for you.

Eve Forward

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

In article <19970321163...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

<vett...@aol.com> wrote:
>Not only does Petsmart sell iguana they have about 50 juvieniles in one bin.
>I was there when someone was buying one the employee sold them a 10 gallon terrarium and repti-cricket along with it. They didn't mention heating, water, SIZE, anything. I was very disapointed too. They now sell Dumpy frogs too.

What gets me is that Petsmart (at least some of them) REFUSE to sell rodents
if they know you're going to use it as a feeder, because "it's cruel"
(nevermind if you prekill first), but they think nothing of selling an iguana
to a kid with a 10 gal tank and no clue how to look after the thing. I
guess "cruel" only counts if it's fuzzy?

Heather Weir

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

vett...@aol.com wrote:
: Not only does Petsmart sell iguana they have about 50 juvieniles in one bin.
: I was there when someone was buying one the employee sold them a 10 gallon terrarium and repti-cricket along with it. They didn't mention heating, water, SIZE, anything. I was very disapointed too. They now sell Dumpy frogs too.

: Kristen

: The earth does not belong to us, we belong to the earth!

Petco is doing the same thing. They have about 50 in one large tank, with
cedar chips as a substrate, junkfood as dinner, hot rocks and caves for a heat
source and a vitalite that is 3 feet above them. They all look so skinny and
dehydrated that you want to go and take every one of them home so they can
just survive. They also don't seem to clean the cages very well either.

I think the worst part is when you tell an employee or even the manager that
what they are feeding or the substrate in the cages are not good for them,
they give you a lame excuse that some vet in corporate said this is what
they should feed them. Sadly to say one of my igs probably lived in that
type of condition, but he is now a lot better. He will definitely NOT eat
any of the prepackaged ig food they give to them in the petstores. Instead
of eating it, he will poop in it.

He definitly remembers!!

Heather

Donald L. Blanchard

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:45:37 -0800, RSC Geology
<hug...@mail.rancho.cc.ca.us> wrote:

>Chris Showers wrote:
>>
>> Sad news folks... for a while there I respected PetSmart because they
>> refused to sell Dogs and Cats and they even have an "Adopt A Pet" process
>> that they do every Sunday for stray Dogs and Cats. But now, at least at
>> the one in Winston-Salem, they're selling Spiny Tailed Iguanas :(.
>

>The petsmart near me has had a big tank of green iguanas, as well as
>aquatic turtles, frogs and newts since it opened. I have never had a
>satisfactory experience with that place and very very seldom go there.

The PetSmart nearest me (Lakewood, Colorado) has two new display cases set
up to sell lizards (Gekkos and Curly-tails in stock) and small furry things
(I can't tell one small furry thing from another). The cases have
thermostats, light sources, heaters, etc. Looks like they're serious about
this.

__
Donald L. Blanchard
Morrison Natural History Museum (Herp Volunteer)
Morrison, Colorado, USA
dlb...@earthlink.net | http://home.earthlink.net/~dlblanc/
morrm...@earthlink.net
------ Standard Disclaimer ------

Pythoness

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

In article <5guuht$p...@qualcomm.com>, nte...@qualcomm.com (_Nathan _Tenny)
wrote:

> That, at least, I view as a step forward. I've seen similar documents in a
> couple of stores in the San Diego area---maybe we're just well-educated
> herpetologically here?

We have a similar situation in my town. The local PetSmart doesn't carry
large herps (anoles and salamanders, yes), but they do at least have a
little FAQ up about salmonella.

The stores that do have igs that I know of also have at least one employee
in the herp society. A couple of the stores have an adult iguana on
display with a sign explaining that those cute little guys are going to be
like this someday. One store recently put up a sign saying that
incandescent bulbs don't provide UVB. So things are looking up. Much of
the solution is for the pet stores to have at least one employee who knows
which end of a herp is up...

zg

To email me, remove antispam from my address
zi...@teleport.com
Zi...@aol.com
Ziggy Blum
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

He who has rejected his demons badgers us to death with his angels.

Henri Michaux

Pythoness

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

In article <lutraE7...@netcom.com>, lu...@netcom.com (Eve Forward) wrote:

> What gets me is that Petsmart (at least some of them) REFUSE to sell rodents
> if they know you're going to use it as a feeder, because "it's cruel"
> (nevermind if you prekill first), but they think nothing of selling an iguana
> to a kid with a 10 gal tank and no clue how to look after the thing. I
> guess "cruel" only counts if it's fuzzy?

Or if it's been defuzzed and is packed in a nice neat tin.

I've blown my horn about this before, but I don't think the conditions
most meat animals are bred and slaughtered under are so ideal that it's
morally "just fine" to sell canned cat and dog food (containing beef,
lamb, pork, and poultry parts) while "cruel" to sell live animals for
feeders. (I'm not a vegetarian, but I do like the concept of humane
treatment of farm animals.)

And yup, generally they'll sell to anybody, with any degree of knowledge,
and generally, they don't have anyone employed who knows how to take care
of herps. That's cruel!

Frank Ball

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

& >Chris Showers wrote:
& >> Sad news folks... for a while there I respected PetSmart because they
& >> refused to sell Dogs and Cats and they even have an "Adopt A Pet" process
& >> that they do every Sunday for stray Dogs and Cats. But now, at least at
& >> the one in Winston-Salem, they're selling Spiny Tailed Iguanas :(.

& Im in Canada and 8 Petsmarts recently opened up here... they are
& selling iguanas, waterdragons, various amphibians, some geckos... the
& enclosures for them suck, and the people working in the store know
& absolutely nothing about reptiles or amphibians at all!

I was in the Petsmart here, and they had Leopard Frogs, White's Tree
Frogs, and some small Tree Frog all in the same tank. The tank was
mostly water, but not too deep for the White's. No climbing or hiding
places. There was only one of the small tree frogs left, which was
about bite size for the White's.

Frank Ball 1UR-M fra...@sr.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard (707) 794-4168 work
1212 Valley House Drive (707) 794-3038 fax
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 (707) 538-3693 home

Mathew Worman

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

Frank Ball (frankb...@sr.hp.com) wrote:

i have to agree. petsmart is petstupid if you ask me. first of all, their
aquariums all run off of 1 cenralized filter {including feeder fish}
meaning almost every tank is a potential ich disaster or any other disese
for that matter. second of all, the herp "department" is absolute shit.
it is nothing more than a glorified wall unit, smaller then 2 doors {at
least in the canadian outlets ive been in.} they have no knowledge what
so ever, and dont seem to care about the well being of the animals at all.
the last time i was in my local store {i refuse to buy anything there
anymore} they had 6 juvinile iguanas in a space about the size of a 25
gallon aquarium. thier display broke and several ruin lacertas were in
with a LARGE pacman frog. they had a fire skink labeled as an ornate lava
lizard, and none of the staff could answer my questions about herps
without first reading the books they had for sale there and then trying to
sell the book to me. in short the stores dont give a damn about any herps
they sell unless it is being sold to someone.

matt

o\/o
\__/

boycott petsmart.

Alice Mathews

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

I would like to say that I am a proud employee of Petsmart. Petsmart
has only recently started to sell lizards and turtles. In my store we
now have a large reptile habitat that can hold several types at once.
I know that at my store in Lafayette In, and others in the Indianapolis
area try to take care of the reptiles in our stores. Petsmart offers a
training course about green iguanas that many employees take. However
it is not required for the specialty associates, yet.
As for the cleanliness of our reptiles, I think it is top notch
compared to some of the other pet stores that I have seen. We do not
feed the animals anything, on the contrairy many of us do reasearch as
to how we can better care for the reptiles. When we sell the reptiles
they usually look better than when we got them.
As for the iguana being sold to a ten=gallon tank, I am sure that
it happened only because the employee was unfamiliar with the reptiles.
Which is not suprising since reptiles are fairly new to Petsmart.For the
most part we try to encourage the new reptile owner as to the proper
care
of the reptiles, however sometimes people now better and refuse to
listen. There is a point to which a person can be argued with.
I love working for Petsmart. It is a very humane store for all
types of animals. For the most part we try to encourage the new

Stanz4

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

It's surprising what people will settle for when they're faced with a
descision on spending for the $15 iguana they just bought. It's not just
the pet store's fault. But I would recommend the petsmart associates to
become better salespeople. I mean, why wouldn't you want to sell $150
worth of stuff with the iguana?

Pythoness

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

In article <333987...@expert.cc.purdue.edu>, Alice Mathews
<amat...@expert.cc.purdue.edu> wrote:

> We do not
> feed the animals anything, on the contrairy many of us do reasearch as
> to how we can better care for the reptiles.

Heh. I'm pretty sure that that's a typo... You must feed them something,
right...? ;-)

> For the

> most part we try to encourage the new reptile owner as to the proper
> care
> of the reptiles,

So what sort of enclosure do you recommend for a new iguana?

The local PetSmart here stocks commercial "iguana food," about which I
have heard nothing good, and, until very recently, had a lot of
flourescent lights in the herp department, not *one* of which was a
full-spectrum brand. Still needs a little work, I'd say.

Can you comment on the policy of not selling feeder rodents (or any
rodents, at least here), either live or frozen? (I find this annoying
since it seems like an obvious place to go for same, and I can't reconcile
the idea that feeding mice to my snakes is "cruel" while feeding beef,
pork, lamb, and poultry to a dog or cat somehow is just fine). I'm just
curious on what the PetSmart policy actually is.

Kelly L. Webb

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Heather -

I think a lot of it has to do with the caliber and dedication of the
employees in the large chain stores - the PETCO here has a really
pretty good setup for all its reptiles due to the guy who takes care
of them. The previous employee in charge of reptiles left them in
pretty much the conditions you describe...

We should be up to our ears in large green iguanas now, what with all
the imports in the last five years, and it is disgusting that we are
not!!

(My own ig vigorously bobs his head... coincidence? Hmmm...)

Kelly

Alice Mathews

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

You are correct that that was a typo, I was in rush. My store hasn't
personally had Iguanas yet. However we did feed the turtles we had
a variety of fruits, vegatables and bugs.

As for the policy of not selling rodents for feeders. I do not believe
that it is not about being cruel, but I think it might be more that
Petsmart sells alot of food for different animals, and wouldn't want
the possibility of the mice or rats getting lose. Having a rodent
infestation problem with the other food sources would be a large problem
for the store to handle.

NSman

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

Alice Mathews <amat...@expert.cc.purdue.com> wrote in article
<333C1D...@expert.cc.purdue.com>...

> Pythoness wrote:
>
> You are correct that that was a typo, I was in rush. My store hasn't
> personally had Iguanas yet. However we did feed the turtles we had
> a variety of fruits, vegatables and bugs.

Umm... What kind of turtles (by turtles, I assume you don't mean
torts) were these? Were they young ones? Did you ever feed them some
commercial food or other sources of protein? What kind of conditions were
they living in?

Just curious...

Alice Mathews

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

NSman wrote:

> > However we did feed the turtles we had
> > a variety of fruits, vegatables and bugs.
>
> Umm... What kind of turtles (by turtles, I assume you don't mean
> torts) were these? Were they young ones? Did you ever feed them some
> commercial food or other sources of protein? What kind of conditions were
> they living in?
>
> Just curious...

We had asian box turtles and they were anywhere between 5-7" long.
Once in a we did feed them canned cat food, but their favorite were
the really big mealworms. They went turtle crazy, tearing the worms
apart. When we had the turtles, they were kept in an enclosure of
about 2.5 x 4.5 ft., with a water dish that was changed often. Usually
the turtles came in groups of 5 or 6 and usually one or two were gone by
the first day.

As for my turtles at home, my 4" box turtle, Gertrude, used to eat some
of the commercial food (looked like fruity pebbles) mashed with bananas,
however recently she will not eat the banana if I mix the commercial
food in. She won't eat any type of bug or worms, but she will eat some
lunch meat sometimes.

Reptile292

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

There is a PetSmart in Waldorf, Maryland that also just recently started
selling green iguanas, anoles, and some other type of lizard. What
shocked me was that the foods offered were not even 50% acceptable foods
for these animals to be eating. A baby iguana should not be given hugh
chunks of broccoli. Humidity wasn't right either, and I don't think temps
were being kept proper as well. Does anyone else know of any other
PetSmarts selling animals that they really shouldn't be. I thought that
their policy was not to sell animals (other than birds & fish) because
there were too many out there already without proper homes. Face it guys,
iguanas aren't "easy" pets like a goldfish is.

Sitehnd

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

My PETSMART is also selling igs as are both PetCo.s in my area
Concord/Martinez Ca.
The employees know nothing and even they don't like the idea of igs as
pets for most people.

I've seen big iguanas bite people before and I've treated lots of igs with
MBD. Its sad. PETSMART used to be an ok place. Not no more.

Tina
Tina Nachtrieb
Sit...@aol.com

Pythoness

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

In article <19970402042...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
repti...@aol.com (Reptile292) wrote:

> [big crunchy snip]

> Face it guys,
> iguanas aren't "easy" pets like a goldfish is.

And even goldfish aren't as easy as most people think--that's why you hear
people saying "I had a goldfish for a few months" instead of "My
grandfather had a goldfish--that's it in that tank over there."

Pets are generally hard (some are definitely harder than others!) and most
are expensive (food, housing, vet bills), and people really, really ought
to understand that.

Of course, I'm a crank who thinks people ought not to have children until
they can provide for them well either.

RSC Geology

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Sitehnd wrote:

> My PETSMART is also selling igs as are both PetCo.s in my area
> Concord/Martinez Ca.

I went into my local PetCo for the first time in a long time the other
day looking for fish food. There was the tank of baby igs for $10
with big signs saying "Excellent first reptile" and "great low
maintenance pet". The care insturctions recommend a prepared diet
(that they happen to sell) and heating the iguana up to (only) 80 F.

This one happens to have a very big reptile department since it was
once another "industrial" pet store (Pet Metro) that went bankrupt.

I should probably have gotten myself kicked out of there, but the
folks were already quite upset since they had just "lost" two boas and
were busy looking for them. 8-(

Phil Hughes

Phillip Dauben

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Fortuneately, the Petco where I live just stopped selling iguanas. I
kind of started a conversation with a gal behind the counter and she
told me that they weren't selling. We both agreed that Petco never
should have started selling iguanas in the first place.
Phillip Dauben
phillip...@4dcomm.com http://www2.4dcomm.com/phillip.dauben/
dau...@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/~dauben/
dau...@rohan.sdsu.edu

Words of wisdom: "Don't squat with 'yer spurs on"

neil

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

they are getting them here in Orlando

Neil

Rob Deker

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Reptile292 (repti...@aol.com) wrote:
: There is a PetSmart in Waldorf, Maryland that also just recently started
: there were too many out there already without proper homes. Face it guys,

: iguanas aren't "easy" pets like a goldfish is.
:
I do know that the Petco in Beltsville, MD takes hideous care of it's herps.
Aside from the fact that they are selling things like reticulated pythons
there (at least they say on the tag how big it will get), they don't seem
to clean the (crappy) enclosures that often. It is a damn shame.

It is not however a whole chain thing. There is a new Petco in Washington, DC
that actually has good enclosures for their herps (with the exception of
overcrowing their igs) and the local hrep specialist seems to be relitlvely
knowledgeable and takes good care of all the animals. The acid test tho will
be to see how well they deal with an unexpected "delivery" of 60 neonate
Soloman's island boas that one of their "for sale" pets just started giving
birth to the other week.

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | de...@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45 | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through |
the Hub, out the gateway. |
Nothing but net." |

Marty Jenkins

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

The Petsmart here in the Seattle-Tacoma area do not sell reptiles as
of yet but the Petco chains do. They are extremely responsible about it
and take extremely good care of their reptiles. I personally do not
shop regularly at either one even though my girlfriend is a grooming
manager at a Petco, she said that sales on reptiles are not pushed on
potential customers and that they have a 90 day period that you can
bring back the reptile if lyou can not properly care for it or have
changed your mind.

Mart~Man

Eve Forward

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article <5icqnb$msr$1...@newsd-102.bryant.webtv.net>,

Marty Jenkins <Mart...@webtv.net> wrote:
> The Petsmart here in the Seattle-Tacoma area do not sell reptiles as
>of yet but the Petco chains do. They are extremely responsible about it

The PetSmart on Hwy 99 (near Lynnwood) doesn't sell many reps but they
DO sell baby igs. I'm no ig expert but 30+ baby igs in a 20-long tank
with pelleted food and hot rocks does not seem like an ideal set-up to me.
As for the Petcos, I'm currently upset with them since they sold
me a rat (for a pet) that was infected with SDA and now all my rats have
it. They have a 5-day return period for mammals but the incubation period
for this disease was 14 days.
I suspect all PetSmarts and Petcos are individually managed, and
whether a store sucks or is tolerable or great depends more on the
individual store than the chain policy.

Tory Klementsen

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

<Mart...@webtv.net> wrote:

> The Petsmart here in the Seattle-Tacoma area do not sell reptiles as
> of yet but the Petco chains do. They are extremely responsible about it

> and take extremely good care of their reptiles. I personally do not
> shop regularly at either one even though my girlfriend is a grooming
> manager at a Petco, she said that sales on reptiles are not pushed on
> potential customers and that they have a 90 day period that you can
> bring back the reptile if lyou can not properly care for it or have
> changed your mind.

No offense, but tell the suffering iguanas in the Everett, Wa store that
they are being well taken care of. Here is what I've seen:

dry food or wet food canned, full of feces
Water full of feces
particulate substrate
One log and one basking lamp
apples cut as large as the iguanas' head so there was no way, even if they
wanted to eat it, they could eat it
open sores on 3 of the iguanas
Evidence of abcesses on others
Bite marks and other sores on iguanas
A largish (compared to the babies) visibly ill iguana laying on its side
No UVB lights
Almost all had loose skin and looked as if they hadn't had a substantial
meal in ages.
A sign that read "Iguanas, easy to care for pet."
Books produced by THE that suggested feeding catfood and crickets to iguanas

Not that I'm saying all Petcos are bad. I just think that if a pet store
is going to sell an animal it should be legally required to provide the
best possible care for those animals (PROPER care). If they are not
willing to care for the animals correctly, they should not be selling
them. Imagine if instead of iguanas, it was kittens in a cold cage with
dirty water and nothing to eat but a large head of lettuce.

DIMJIMMY

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

i was recently in the petsmart where i live. expecting to find some herps
hanging on by the skin of their teeth. however, who ever set up the
reptile enclosures at this particular store had done their homework. i
could find nothing wrong. all animals were at the propper temps. there
were two thermometers in each enclosure, showing temp. gradient. heat was
provided w/ heat lamps(no hot rocks) and under tank heaters. every
animals enclosure was also very clean. and all animals had hiding places.

maybe all this critisism is paying off
andy

SGairo

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

well ...

My friend bought a boa from the petco and my friend wanted to ask him some
questions about it... and which he wanted but this asinine salesclerk did
not know a damn and threw him in a bag and sealed it up without knowing
anything about that exact boa... it turned at that the boa had a large
amount of mites and he payed way to much...
also

for the person who said that the cages were nice... there are other
variables there:

they coulda just been cleaned
the store coulda been relatively new
etc.

but since they were nice i cant complain... i do suggest checking it out
again though to see if my theories are correst

Sergio
Pennsylvania

JimBob.

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97
to Eve Forward

Hi, I am mailing from England, recently a chain of pet superstores called
Pet City has been taken over by PETSMART. I hope that these people have
better ideas than the old management and have trained staff and not kids
who would just as well be working in K-mart.
The last time that i went into a pet city store, I saw two Eyed lizards
that had dieds and had been cooked/dried onto the glass floor of their
tank above the heat mat. It would have taken a day or so for this to
happen, also had there been sufficient humidity this should not have
happened. When I went and told an "animal carer" (a glorified shop
assistant) the reponse was; "Eyed lizards? which ones are those? I thought
that they all have eyes!?"
the time was 6pm, had anyone checked these animals for days? Ithink not.
Tell me , are the Petsmart stores in the U.S in the habit of employing
total idiots like this for the primary carers of animals too?
Or is the new management and name going to show some welcome changes?

J. Roberts.

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Eve Forward wrote:

> In article <5icqnb$msr$1...@newsd-102.bryant.webtv.net>,
> Marty Jenkins <Mart...@webtv.net> wrote:
> > The Petsmart here in the Seattle-Tacoma area do not sell reptiles as
> >of yet but the Petco chains do. They are extremely responsible about it

DIMJIMMY

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

sergio wrote:
also

for the person who said that the cages were nice... there are other
variables there:

they coulda just been cleaned
the store coulda been relatively new
etc.

but since they were nice i cant complain... i do suggest checking it out
again though to see if my theories are correst

Sergio
Pennsylvania

first of all serg. i said i was in petsmart, not petco.
secondly, i said the enclosures were well maintained. ie clean, set up
properly to correct temps, using heatlamps for basking areas,hiding
places, two thermometers in each enclosure to demonstrate the proper heat
gradient.
third, yeah they probably were just cleaned. i think that's great.
what's your point.

Alice Mathews

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

JimBob. wrote:

> Hi, I am mailing from England, recently a chain of pet superstores called
> Pet City has been taken over by PETSMART. I hope that these people have
> better ideas than the old management and have trained staff and not kids
> who would just as well be working in K-mart.
> The last time that i went into a pet city store, I saw two Eyed lizards
> that had dieds and had been cooked/dried onto the glass floor of their
> tank above the heat mat. It would have taken a day or so for this to
> happen, also had there been sufficient humidity this should not have
> happened. When I went and told an "animal carer" (a glorified shop
> assistant) the reponse was; "Eyed lizards? which ones are those? I thought
> that they all have eyes!?"
> the time was 6pm, had anyone checked these animals for days? Ithink not.
> Tell me , are the Petsmart stores in the U.S in the habit of employing
> total idiots like this for the primary carers of animals too?
> Or is the new management and name going to show some welcome changes?
>
> J. Roberts.

I work for a Petsmart here in the states, and their are some "idiots"
that do get hired, but they are usually hired as stockers.
But if you are talking about "idiots' in that they don't know much
about fish and reptiles, not everybody is born with intuitive
knowledge on these subjects and have to learn about them. And Petsmart
does have training on fish and reptiles that are available to employees.

sincerely, Alice

Alice Mathews

Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97

Just for your info
Petsmart and Petco. are two different stores!!

SGairo wrote:

> well ...
>
> My friend bought a boa from the petco and my friend wanted to ask him some
> questions about it... and which he wanted but this asinine salesclerk did
> not know a damn and threw him in a bag and sealed it up without knowing
> anything about that exact boa... it turned at that the boa had a large
> amount of mites and he payed way to much...

Pythoness

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

In article <3357D4...@expert.cc.purdue.com>, Alice Mathews
<amat...@expert.cc.purdue.com> wrote:

> I work for a Petsmart here in the states, and their are some "idiots"
> that do get hired, but they are usually hired as stockers.
> But if you are talking about "idiots' in that they don't know much
> about fish and reptiles, not everybody is born with intuitive
> knowledge on these subjects and have to learn about them. And Petsmart
> does have training on fish and reptiles that are available to employees.

Um, a lot of stores (like hardware stores) either *require* training or
tend to hire people that already have knowledge, or both.

Kevin Herring

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

I work at a petsmart store in england and its true, there are a lot of
fuckwits employed, my manager being one of them. I, i hope, am not one of
these, and i keep fish, a savannah monitor, a cali kingsnake, gerbils and a
pink toe, so I think have a good idea of how to look after them. If you
mail me with names of stores in the south of england, i can possibly get
them in trouble........

Alice Mathews <amat...@expert.cc.purdue.com> wrote in article

<3357D4...@expert.cc.purdue.com>...

> JimBob. wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I am mailing from England, recently a chain of pet superstores
called
> > Pet City has been taken over by PETSMART. I hope that these people have
> > better ideas than the old management and have trained staff and not
kids
> > who would just as well be working in K-mart.
> > The last time that i went into a pet city store, I saw two Eyed
lizards
> > that had dieds and had been cooked/dried onto the glass floor of their
> > tank above the heat mat. It would have taken a day or so for this to
> > happen, also had there been sufficient humidity this should not have
> > happened. When I went and told an "animal carer" (a glorified shop
> > assistant) the reponse was; "Eyed lizards? which ones are those? I
thought
> > that they all have eyes!?"
> > the time was 6pm, had anyone checked these animals for days? Ithink
not.
> > Tell me , are the Petsmart stores in the U.S in the habit of
employing
> > total idiots like this for the primary carers of animals too?
> > Or is the new management and name going to show some welcome
changes?

> > J. Roberts.
>

> I work for a Petsmart here in the states, and their are some "idiots"
> that do get hired, but they are usually hired as stockers.
> But if you are talking about "idiots' in that they don't know much
> about fish and reptiles, not everybody is born with intuitive
> knowledge on these subjects and have to learn about them. And Petsmart
> does have training on fish and reptiles that are available to employees.
>

> sincerely, Alice

chives

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

>I work for a Petsmart here in the states, and their are some "idiots"
>that do get hired, but they are usually hired as stockers.
>But if you are talking about "idiots' in that they don't know much
>about fish and reptiles, not everybody is born with intuitive
>knowledge on these subjects and have to learn about them. And Petsmart
>does have training on fish and reptiles that are available to employees.
>
>sincerely, Alice

Thank you Alice! I work at a Petco in Texas, myself, and certainly try to train
any newbie in the ways of proper care of my reptile room and its inhabitants.I
do not like it that we sell iguanas, but I am trying to instill the proper
knowledge in new ig keepers.
My cages are clean, not overcrowded, ..I try to have a cool selection, the
animals are happy, and whatever can be tamed, is.. In fact, I have incubating
fat tail gecko eggs and p.m.grandis eggs..
So you see people..it's the manager AND crew. There are good and bad pet
stores out there, but some of us are pretty passionate about our work.

Carrie
Petco / Arlington, Texas

_Nathan _Tenny

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

In article <zigi-20049...@ip-eug1-05.teleport.com>,

Pythoness <zi...@teleportantispam.com> wrote:
>Um, a lot of stores (like hardware stores) either *require* training or
>tend to hire people that already have knowledge, or both.

I'd go so far as to say that pet stores are the *only* place in the retail
sector where it seems to be accepted that employees will have little or no
product knowledge. In the starving-student days, my wife worked at a number
of retail jobs; the pet store (one of a large chain, not frequently discussed
here) was the only one that didn't make any effort to train some information
into the employees.

Even the reputable specialty herp stores blow it more often than I'd expect.
I was in Reptile Haven in Escondido a couple of weeks ago, and they had a
tank with a huge sign saying "White's Tree Frogs", filled with
white-*lipped* froglets.

NT
--
Nathan Tenny nte...@qualcomm.com
Qualcomm, Inc., San Diego, CA http://people.qualcomm.com/ntenny/

The rec.pets.herp FAQ lives at http://people.qualcomm.com/ntenny/herps/FAQ.html

Lizrdmn 1

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

I am currently working at petsmart and I aam not happy with the
environments we are provided with to care for our reptiles. I have written
letters to our corporate office and spoken with managment to no avail. It
seems that in order to make a difference in the way a company does things
you must be a customer, not an associate. I urge all of you to write to
the offices of such stores in order to make a difference in the way the
animals are kept.

thanks
a concerned reptile fanatic

J. McGuire

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

_Nathan _Tenny wrote:

> Even the reputable specialty herp stores blow it more often than I'd expect.
> I was in Reptile Haven in Escondido a couple of weeks ago, and they had a
> tank with a huge sign saying "White's Tree Frogs", filled with
> white-*lipped* froglets.

I've seen worse: a place with the same sign, but *GREEN* treefrogs! I
pointed out the error, thinking they'd just left an old sign up, but
they insisted that no, I didn't know what I was talking about, they were
White's -- and, so far as I know, they're still selling Hyla cinerea for
$19.95....

-- Jean

Wintertree Software | Remember to remove the spambot-blocker
http://www.io.com/~wtsoft | from my address before replying via email

The great wheel has turned again and SPI is avenged!

J. McGuire

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

Do you have a name and address for the person we should write to at
Corporate?

jas

Apr 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/29/97

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, J. McGuire wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 00:11:18 -0400
> From: "J. McGuire" <jmcg...@wtsoft.REMOVE.ME.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.herp
> Subject: Re: PETSMART is selling Iguagas :(

> _Nathan _Tenny wrote:
> >
> > Even the reputable specialty herp stores blow it more often than I'd expect.
> > I was in Reptile Haven in Escondido a couple of weeks ago, and they had a
> > tank with a huge sign saying "White's Tree Frogs", filled with
> > white-*lipped* froglets.
>
> I've seen worse: a place with the same sign, but *GREEN* treefrogs! I
> pointed out the error, thinking they'd just left an old sign up, but
> they insisted that no, I didn't know what I was talking about, they were
> White's -- and, so far as I know, they're still selling Hyla cinerea for
> $19.95....
>

> -- Jean
>
> Wintertree Software | Remember to remove the spambot-blocker
> http://www.io.com/~wtsoft | from my address before replying via email
>
> The great wheel has turned again and SPI is avenged!

UGGG!!!! I hate PetSmart! They should be called PetStupid, and shouldn't
be allowed to sell exotics!!!

-jas

_Nathan _Tenny

Apr 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/30/97

In article <336574...@wtsoft.REMOVE.ME.com>,

J. McGuire <jmcg...@wtsoft.REMOVE.ME.com> wrote:
>_Nathan _Tenny wrote:
>>
>> Even the reputable specialty herp stores blow it more often than I'd expect.
>> I was in Reptile Haven in Escondido a couple of weeks ago, and they had a
>> tank with a huge sign saying "White's Tree Frogs", filled with
>> white-*lipped* froglets.
>
>I've seen worse: a place with the same sign, but *GREEN* treefrogs! I
>pointed out the error, thinking they'd just left an old sign up, but
>they insisted that no, I didn't know what I was talking about, they were
>White's -- and, so far as I know, they're still selling Hyla cinerea for
>$19.95....

Isn't it amazing how clue-resistant store personnel can be?

'Course, the one time they *took* our hint, it was almost worse than if they
hadn't; a mall pet store in Eugene had a Surinam toad, with a sign that
basically said "Unidentified Frog". My then-fiancee-now-wife told them it
was a Surinam toad, a.k.a. pipa toad, and that they were from the Amazon
basin---you know, South America, like northern Brazil. And the next time we
went into the store, there was a sign that said

"Pipi or Cernam Toad - From Brizal".

I shouldn't complain. At least they spelled "toad" right.

Tory Klementsen

May 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/1/97

In article <Pine.SGI.3.95.97042...@umbc8.umbc.edu>, jas
<jjo...@gl.umbc.edu> wrote:

> UGGG!!!! I hate PetSmart! They should be called PetStupid, and shouldn't
> be allowed to sell exotics!!!

In all fairness, not all Petsmarts are the same. My friend, who is also my
iguana's vet, works for Vetsmart and has literature out that has the
proper way to care for an iguana (the good stuff). She's tried to convince
them not to sell them, and says her goal is to "talk people out of getting
iguanas for pets."

Jaguls

May 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/1/97

just galncing thru the messages on this board. We have a Pets America and
a SuperPets both of them large chain tye of stores. It appears to me that
they would rather save some money on employees than pay a well educated
person to care for their animals. I have gone into one of these stores
(only when exztra cash) and bought out almost the entire reptile
collection just so it could go home, get good care and be adopted by
caring people. This may not sound like the most intelligent thing to do
but then again it is only money. They deserve better than to suffer til
they die due to ignorance.

dave

VogelJP

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

Nice sentimant Dave but by buying all of their reptiles you are
encouraging them to sell more. Better to not buy anything from that store.

John

ohu...@prak8.org

Jul 30, 2014, 7:52:34 PM7/30/14

> Chris Showers