-- weird rashes on skin after holding lizards --

678 views
Skip to first unread message

rainbows

unread,
Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
to

i have noticed red rashy spots on my skin after holding my two lizards,
a broadhead skink and a plated lizard. i notice little hashmarks of red
claw-scratches on my shoulders and on the backs of my hands.... but
theyre usually not very bad.

right now i have a big sore spot on the back of my hand that was only an
itchy spot last night. it has turned into quite a scab.

i try to rinse my hands after holding them, but maybe i am not doing it
thoroughly enough.. or, what? they usually just fade away, but this one
has gotten quite bad.

i dont mind the little claw marks, but im a little concerned about this
big rash. do lizards carry allergens or toxins under their claws that i
should know about........?? also im concerned about bacterial
contamination through open wounds (mine)

has anyone else noticed this? thank you :)

sincerely,
anna


--

"blessed am i to dwell in this beautiful temple"

~~~~~~~~~ rainbows ~~~~~~~~~~

My3QTPies

unread,
Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
to
It is a rule in my house, that after any contact with the "monsters" we must
wash our hands thoroughly with SOAP and water. It's amazing how the kiddos
remember every time. I don't think I would feel "safe" with rinsing with water
alone.

Maura

Alta Brewer

unread,
Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
to
In article <37957F8F...@rocksolidnetworks.com>,
da...@rocksolidnetworks.com says...

>
>
> i have noticed red rashy spots on my skin after holding my two lizards,
> a broadhead skink and a plated lizard. i notice little hashmarks of red
> claw-scratches on my shoulders and on the backs of my hands.... but
> theyre usually not very bad.
>
> right now i have a big sore spot on the back of my hand that was only an
> itchy spot last night. it has turned into quite a scab.
>
> i try to rinse my hands after holding them, but maybe i am not doing it
> thoroughly enough.. or, what? they usually just fade away, but this one
> has gotten quite bad.
>
> i dont mind the little claw marks, but im a little concerned about this
> big rash. do lizards carry allergens or toxins under their claws that i
> should know about........?? also im concerned about bacterial
> contamination through open wounds (mine)

What substrate are you keeping them on? It sounds like it could be an
allergy of some sort, and the substrate would be a more likely culprit
than the herps.

Alta


--
http://www.netlizards.net/

rainbows

unread,
Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
to

Alta Brewer wrote:

>
> What substrate are you keeping them on? It sounds like it could be an
> allergy of some sort, and the substrate would be a more likely culprit
> than the herps.
>


hmmm... that makes sense. i have been using that 'lizard litter' for
both.. but the last time i cleaned out the skink, i noticed there was a
moldy spot under the plant.. so that could very well be exactly what it
was..... her light had broken, and it was wetter in there than usual.

my hand got quite itchy and swelled up.... maybe there were mold spores
under the claws that irritated the tiny scratches more than usual.

thanks alta...... i guess i have to pay more attention to the state of
the lizard litter.. maybe rinse out the tanks really well and also rinse
the animals maybe, until all the mold spores are gone...

any other opinions definitely welcome... but that makes a lot of sense..

anna

Pete Howard Rn

unread,
Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
to
It sounds like an allergic reaction with secondary bacterial infection.
An allergy happens after an initial exposure to the allergen. In my
case, I developed an allergy to crickets after feeding them for years to
my lizards. My first time reaction was so severe, I had to use a
powerful steroid to counteract the allergen, a protein in cricket chiton
(the exoskeleton). I keep getting little rashes from the claw marks I
get from the lizards. The chiton remains unchanged during digestion, and
is picked up on the lizard claws by incidental contact with feces dust
in the cage. I wash the scratches with soap and water, and if I still
get a reaction,I use an over-the-counter cream like hydrocortisone. Be
aware of your reaction. If it gets worse, seek medical attention.


Later,
Pete

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo
http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters


rainbows

unread,
Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
to


oh my god~! well, i guess i will keep an eye on my little scratches.. im
definitely gonna just start washing better, the rash is already going
away so i guess that has been helping... very interesting, thank you so
much for the information :)) .....

take it easy..

anna


> Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo
> http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters

--

hana....@gmail.com

unread,
Feb 21, 2019, 9:49:59 PM2/21/19
to
On Thursday, July 22, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Pete Howard Rn wrote:
> It sounds like an allergic reaction with secondary bacterial infection.
> An allergy happens after an initial exposure to the allergen. In my
> case, I developed an allergy to crickets after feeding them for years to
> my lizards. My first time reaction was so severe, I had to use a
> powerful steroid to counteract the allergen, a protein in cricket chiton
> (the exoskeleton). I keep getting little rashes from the claw marks I
> get from the lizards. The chiton remains unchanged during digestion, and
> is picked up on the lizard claws by incidental contact with feces dust
> in the cage. I wash the scratches with soap and water, and if I still
> get a reaction,I use an over-the-counter cream like hydrocortisone. Be
> aware of your reaction. If it gets worse, seek medical attention.
>

>
>
>
> Later,
> Pete
>
> Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo
> http://community.webtv.net/SnakeBusters/SnakeBusters


Hey, found this chain because I think I'm also allergic to my lizard's substrate, but I couldn't help but notice the nam myoho renge kyo, I'm in the SGI as well, small world!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages