It's Trai , herps seen in AZ, just got a new field guide too

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Wally & Sheila Dagucon

unread,
Oct 28, 2003, 1:06:07 AM10/28/03
to
HEy all, I'm visiting my parent's out in AZ, just picked up a new
field guide, wondered if anyone else had it and what they thought of
it. I found what I think is a Clarks Spiny Lizard. I originally
thought it was a Mountain Spiny Lizard but I don't think so now.

I've also seen several beautiful woodpeckers, a brown LARGE walking
stick, cute little quail everywhere, of course the Sonoran Deserts
pride, the Saguaro cactus, and some small waterbug.

Sadly, I had to go to the Sonoran Desert Museum to see any other
wildlife beyond the livestock and the lonely little lizard that got
trapped in my father's window. And he ate the walking stick. LOL.

But at the SDM, I saw a beautiful green rat snake, a large sonoran
king snake, what they called a desert kingsnake but looked like a
common and a gray-banded kingsnake cross, a milk snake, several
tarantulas from the area, a wolf spider, and some amphibians.

Today we went to Sabino Canyon in Tuscon, and before we got on the
tram to go to the top, there was an impromptu snake showing of a
beautiful western diamond back, another milksnake, and i think a
gopher snake though the handler didn't take him out of his case. He
had a couple others, but I couldn't get the little kids crowding
around me to be quiet. *sigh*

Anyway, it was fun, though I'll be coming back without my kids to go
hike the Sabino Canyon with my field guide, a couple rolls of film,
and a notebook. I just can't do what I want with two kids following
me around. And my dad smokes cigars, so it keeps teh birds away.

Alright, just felt like saying hello, I was needing a dose of rph.

Later all,

Trai

c1c0

unread,
Oct 28, 2003, 1:35:23 AM10/28/03
to
Sounds like you had an interesting field trip. Now learn your field guide at
memory, so you can soon help to id the unknown snakes and lizards posted
here :)

Anna


N Jill Marsh

unread,
Oct 28, 2003, 8:03:26 AM10/28/03
to
On 27 Oct 2003 22:06:07 -0800, Rock...@peoplepc.com (Wally & Sheila
Dagucon)wrote:

>HEy all, I'm visiting my parent's out in AZ, just picked up a new
>field guide, wondered if anyone else had it and what they thought of
>it. I found what I think is a Clarks Spiny Lizard. I originally
>thought it was a Mountain Spiny Lizard but I don't think so now.

Which field guide is it? I've got a Peterson's Western Reptiles &
Amphibians but I'd like a good one focused more on the S AZ area if
possible.

I've learned that the first thing to do with identifying animals in AZ
is to look at the range map. Many species have very small ranges -
compare those of the Clarks & the Mountain for example.

>I've also seen several beautiful woodpeckers, a brown LARGE walking
>stick, cute little quail everywhere, of course the Sonoran Deserts
>pride, the Saguaro cactus, and some small waterbug.

I love Gambel's quail. Very charming this time of year as they seem
to be in large family or adolescent groups. They are really adorable
when the babies are little, though.

>Sadly, I had to go to the Sonoran Desert Museum to see any other
>wildlife beyond the livestock and the lonely little lizard that got
>trapped in my father's window. And he ate the walking stick. LOL.

The Sonoron Desert Museum is one of the neatest attractions I have
visited. Go the right time of year (I think you're a bit late) and
there are tons of lizards roaming loose on the grounds.

>But at the SDM, I saw a beautiful green rat snake, a large sonoran
>king snake, what they called a desert kingsnake but looked like a
>common and a gray-banded kingsnake cross, a milk snake, several
>tarantulas from the area, a wolf spider, and some amphibians.

They have an excellent scorpion display with a UV light as well,
though where I stay I only have to go outside to find scorpions - oh
wait, I don't even have to do that - just check under the cat box!

>Anyway, it was fun, though I'll be coming back without my kids to go
>hike the Sabino Canyon with my field guide, a couple rolls of film,
>and a notebook. I just can't do what I want with two kids following
>me around. And my dad smokes cigars, so it keeps teh birds away.

There are very good and less travelled hiking trails near the Desert
Museum, at the Cactus Monument or whatever they call it, although
there's not the open water you'll find at Sabino.

nj"kinney"m

"And then they passed beyond mere words and
began to introduce the vegetable motif."

Wally & Sheila Dagucon

unread,
Oct 28, 2003, 11:00:40 AM10/28/03
to
"c1c0" <robeton...@tin.it> wrote in message news:<L6onb.56565$e5.20...@news1.tin.it>...

Anna,

LOL, I've already poured through all the lizards, the rattlesnakes,
and some tortoises. I havent' looked at the amphibians yet, as I
don't recognize or know as much about htem so I want to spend more
time researching them. But I do need a East coast, NOrtheast field
guide too...that's where I'm from, the northeast section of the US.

Anyway, I did see a beautiful female praying mantis this morning in my
dad's bedroom window, he "knocked it out"..i yelled at him! He's old
school, thinks he's got to scare everything away, or brush it off, or
knock it down, etc.

Alright all, I leave in an hour to go to the airport (another hour
away) to wait for an hour.

See you all on the East coast side......

Trai

Matt & Trai Rathsack

unread,
Oct 29, 2003, 2:08:38 AM10/29/03
to

> Which field guide is it? I've got a Peterson's Western Reptiles &
> Amphibians but I'd like a good one focused more on the S AZ area if
> possible.

It is the same.

> I love Gambel's quail. Very charming this time of year as they seem
> to be in large family or adolescent groups. They are really adorable
> when the babies are little, though.

Oh, they were absolutely darling...My daughter called them "Doug Quail"
because the cartoon character Doug dresses up like Quailman with the little
thing on his head..lol.

> The Sonoron Desert Museum is one of the neatest attractions I have
> visited. Go the right time of year (I think you're a bit late) and
> there are tons of lizards roaming loose on the grounds.

the guides told me to come back earlier in the season also...


> They have an excellent scorpion display with a UV light as well,
> though where I stay I only have to go outside to find scorpions - oh
> wait, I don't even have to do that - just check under the cat box!

It was very neat, my daughter LOVED it.

There are very good and less travelled hiking trails near the Desert
> Museum, at the Cactus Monument or whatever they call it, although
> there's not the open water you'll find at Sabino.

Maybe when I go back, I'll email you to get those locations. I like to do
overnight and camping trips too, any ideas on where to do those?

Trai


tracie....@gmail.com

unread,
Apr 6, 2020, 3:13:17 PM4/6/20
to
Hi Anna, any chance any of the old crew are still around here anywhere?
Trai Dagucon
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages