Reptile Laws in Nevada

Dan Hoffman

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

Could someone please send me some info on the laws in Nevada
concerning Cal. Kings.DAN

G. Keown

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

Dan Hoffman wrote:

> Could someone please send me some info on the laws in Nevada
> concerning Cal. Kings.DAN

Dan,

Unless I am mistaken, Nevada requires a permit to keep or possess
species native to the state except for albinos and bullfrogs. I don't
live there, so I don't claim to be the resident expert.

Gerald

Laurey Ray

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

In <4rnahd$d...@news-e2c.gnn.com> john1...@gnn.com (Dan Hoffman)
writes:

>Could someone please send me some info on the laws in Nevada
>concerning Cal. Kings.DAN

Dan,

I've got a prohibited species list here for Nevada, and they're not on
it. What did you need to know?

Laurey

G-Poons

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

Open up the phone book and in the govt section there will be a number for
NDOW (Nevada Department of Wildlife)....I know this is true, for I have
done it before. Anyway, just call them up and have them send you a
packet, or get someone on the phone who will answer your questions. They
are generally pretty nice about it, and will talk for as long as you need
them to. *My* limited knowledge of Nevada law is that you can go out and
buy a collection license for the year ($100) and then you need a $5 permit
for each indigenous animal, and I'm sure there is a limit. You can't
*sell* indigenous animals within the state, or from one state to another
state where they are indigenous as well without proper permits which can
be obtained from NDOW. Like I said, you are better off just calling them
yourself so that you don't quote me or others incase some of the information
we give is misinformation. Good Luck!

--
Andy Ghertner
<gher...@ucsub.colorado.edu>

J. A. Fillmore

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96
to Dan Hoffman

Dan Hoffman wrote:

> Could someone please send me some info on the laws in Nevada
> concerning Cal. Kings.DAN

I went and talked to a guy from the Nevada Dept. of Wildlife or Fish
and Game (whatever). He was really cool and was a breeder himself. I
can't remember his name, but if you're in the L.V. area, he's a member
of the L.V. Herp Society. He also said he was basically the reptile
expert for the L.V. area so if you call with questions he's probably
the guy yuo'll talk to.

JAF

Bat Lab

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

G. Keown wrote:

> Unless I am mistaken, Nevada requires a permit to keep or possess
> species native to the state except for albinos and bullfrogs. I don't
> live there, so I don't claim to be the resident expert.

I don't live their either, but you're right and the permits cost $100 or
$5, depending whether it's possession of native spp. for commercial
purposes or non-commercial purposes respectively. In any case, check with
the Nevada Division of Wildlife (PO Box 10678, 1100 Valley Rd, Reno, NV
89520-0022).

Adam Britton
Bio Sciences
Univ. of Bristol, UK

Lir...@ix.netcom.com

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <4rnahd$d...@news-e2c.gnn.com> Dan Hoffman wrote:
>Date: Sat, 06 Jul 1996 23:15:01
>From: john1...@gnn.com (Dan Hoffman)
>Sender: john1...@gnn.com (John Hoffman) (from 69-188.client.gnn.com.
> 205.188.69.188)
>Newsgroups: rec.pets.herp
>Subject: Reptile Laws in Nevada

>Could someone please send me some info on the laws in Nevada
>concerning Cal. Kings.DAN

I have the 94 book by Reptile & Amphibian Magazine and it says that Gila
Monsters are protected, Desert Tortoises are threatened. Of the snakes that
are "of special concern," the list includes the Sonoran Mt. Kingsnake, Rubber
and Rosy boas, ringneck snake, worm snake, Lyre snake, western Diamondback
and black-tailed rattlesnake.

According to the book you need to apply for a license if you want to take and
keep the Calif. Kingsnake in Nevada. Contact them directly for the latest
laws and license fees. [Dept. of Wildlife, 1100 Valley Rd., P.O. Box 10678,
Reno, NV 89520-0022, ph. 702-688-1500]