KEESHOND

mmor...@charlie.usd.edu

Oct 3, 1994, 12:17:23 AM10/3/94
I was scrolling through and didn't see anything on Keeshonden.
Does anybody else think their Keeshond is great?

SCHOLL,

Oct 3, 1994, 3:37:41 PM10/3/94
I had a Keeshond who I absolutely loved. She was sweet, stubborn and a very
loving dog. I am amazed that they are not a more popular breed.

My Casey died at 4 year of age. She developed gall bladder problems and by the
time we diagnosed that problem and had her operated on it was too late. My heart
was broken. I have since gotten a new dog, but not a Keeshond. I just couldn't
get another one because no dog could replace her. I now have a Golden Retriever,
Simon.

I loved Casey's barrel body, her curled up tail, and her beautiful face. She didn't
walk, she pranced. When I tried to teach her to roll over, she got the axis wrong,
instead she twirled...so we gave a command for that, too! When she wanted to play,
she could lower her front legs. So I taught her to do that on command....bow!

Some day I'll get another one. There is a very special place in my heart for that
breed. When I see people walking them, I usually stop that car and chat.

Oh well, it's nice to think about her. Please share you own stories!

Debby

RON HILTON

Oct 4, 1994, 2:18:20 PM10/4/94
In article <1994Oct3.1...@picker.com> sch...@ct.picker.com writes:
>When she wanted to play,
>she could lower her front legs. So I taught her to do that on command....bow!

Ours will also do this when we rub her tummy. We are teaching her
to do this at the "curtsy" command.

RON HILTON

Oct 4, 1994, 2:10:08 PM10/4/94
In article <Cx2x...@sunfish.usd.edu> mmor...@charlie.usd.edu writes:
>I was scrolling through and didn't see anything on Keeshonden.
>Does anybody else think their Keeshond is great?

Only two of mine. The other one's a chicken thief! :)

Cathy

Oct 5, 1994, 3:02:43 AM10/5/94

That sounds interesting!@

I have 2 keeshonds that are so different you'd never think they belong
to the same family... keeshonds that is!

One loves to be outside. Winter or Summer- no people are necessary as
long as there a back yard to play and squirrels to chase.

The other.... I can't get her to go outside without a treat. She goes
outside ... goes potty and comes right back inside. She's a people
person.

Actually, I'm very pleased with both of them. They are great dogs.
I'm biased and I know it, but I think that I prefer them to many other
dogs.

OH... by the way. What's the average size for a keeshond. My 3 year
old weight 30 lbs and my 5 month old weighs 23 lbs. Just how big will
the puppy get? I'm beginning to get worried about it. I thought I knew
what to expect!

Cathy

ca...@teleport.com

--
I love those thing which possess such sweet enchantments, which speak of
love and springtime, of dreams and visios, those thing that people call

RON HILTON

Oct 5, 1994, 1:59:00 PM10/5/94

>>Only two of mine. The other one's a chicken thief! :)

She craves cooked chicken and will swipe it right off the counter..
sort of a (non)obedience thing.

>That sounds interesting!@
>
>I have 2 keeshonds that are so different you'd never think they belong
>to the same family... keeshonds that is!

I have seen them weigh between 35-65+ lbs. Usually they are around 35-45 lbs
however.

Carole Woodcock

Oct 4, 1994, 5:06:33 PM10/4/94

> I was scrolling through and didn't see anything on Keeshonden.
> Does anybody else think their Keeshond is great?

I'm so glad to finally see someone interested in Keeshonden. They're the
greatest dogs! Mine loves people and when she meets someone new, she
walks right up to them, sits down and gives them her paw! We never
trained her to do this, she's done it naturally since she was six weeks.
Whenever we walk her or take her anywhere, people always approach us to
find out more about her. Keeshonden are so easy-going, take their
"punishment" so well when they've been bad--which is almost never--and
really know how to ask for forgiveness. In fact, if ours has been bad,
she practically comes and turns herself in. She's also a fierce defender
of the fort! And don't you love their walk?

mmor...@charlie.usd.edu

Oct 6, 1994, 12:55:59 AM10/6/94
In article <1994Oct3. 19374...@picker.com>, sch...@ct.picker.com (SCHOLL)
writes:

I had a Keeshond who I absolutely loved. She was a sweet, stubborn and a

very loving dog. I am amazed that they are not a more popular breed.

I agree--Keeshonden are such beautiful and loving animals that I am
also surprised that they are not more popular. I found my Keeshond at an
Animal Shelter where she was slated to be destroyed. She was a stray, but
luckily turned out to be both neutered and house-trained. I can't imagine
a more wonderful dog to have. Like your dog, my Keeshond is also stubborn--
I can't seem to teach her anything. But she loves to shake hands and will
do it as long as you're willing to let her.
You mentioned that your dog twirled in circles on command, and I've
read that this is common to the breed. My dog does this whenever she is
really excited. She also does a snorting sound which I've also read is
common--referred to as "blustering"--and was wondering if your dog also
did this.
I also wonder if you're dog ever had to "watch her weight". The vet
suggested I put my dog on a diet as she had gained 9 pounds in a year.
Not knowing anyone else who has a Keeshond or has had one, I was wondering
if this was also common to the breed.
Thank you for the reply--

Meredith

mmor...@charlie.usd.edu

Oct 6, 1994, 1:11:29 AM10/6/94
To rohi...@cassandra.cair.du.edu

I have posted a reply to sch...@ct.picker.com and had wanted to address the
same questions to you since you seem to be more than familiar with the breed
(a chicken thief?!). But, being a beginner on the Internet, I lack the
knowledge of how to properly reply to a posting. So I hope you will
read my other posting :)!

Sorry--

phuppie

Oct 5, 1994, 1:32:21 AM10/5/94
mmor...@charlie.usd.edu wrote:
: I was scrolling through and didn't see anything on Keeshonden.
: Does anybody else think their Keeshond is great?

andy is the second keeshond we have had, and both he and mr. phuppie were
real sweethearts. they seem to be pretty excitable in general (is it the
breed?), but very fun, and loving.

as an ad i saw read, "A keeshond is the best friend money can buy..."

* if there are pieces left over, you screwed up.... *
lego...@netcom.com
dallas, texas

SCHOLL,

Oct 7, 1994, 8:18:12 AM10/7/94
I don't remember Casey ever snorting or blustering...but she's also been gone for
over a year and a half.

She definately had a weight problem! She was my first dog, so I made many mistakes.
The first one was that I tried to feed her everything that the puppy chow package
suggested. I was worried because she didn't seem that interested in food. She
wasn't interested because she was STUFFED! I took the dog to the vet and the vet
was horrified. Poor Casey was 50% over weight. So I put her on a diet with doggie
diet food and no table scraps. She never reached her ideal weight, but I got her
around 35 pounds. I have read that Keeshonden tend to be overweight and need to be
watched.

It's nice to talk to another Kees lover. They are somewhat rare!

Debby

131A40000-ColemanFL(DR9436)278

Oct 14, 1994, 1:15:27 PM10/14/94

I was going to followup a previous article that you posted but I'll use this
one. You remarked that you couldn't bring yourself to get another Keeshond
when Casey died so I'll share my story.

I obtained my first Keeshond about 7 years ago. He was adopted through
the local Peak to Peak Keeshond society and is a wonderful dog. My father
in-law actually picked the name Casey for him based on the initials
K (for Keeshond) and C (for Coleman). Normally we think we are the owners
(Colemans Keeshond) but in this case we have Keeshonds Coleman and it is
very appropriate. He is very large (55 lbs) for a Keeshond but is a very
loving and sensitive dog. About two years ago, I noticed what looked like
growths on his lips so he was taken to the vet. The first thing that the
vet said it could be is cancer. We had samples taken of the tissue taken
and had them sent to Colorado State University to be analyzed. It was a
difficult time for my Wife and I to realize that Casey might die. We
decided right then to get another Keeshond. We love the breed so much
that we couldn't imagine not having a Keeshond around the house. So we
contacted the Peak to Peak society again and started the process of
adoption.

We obtained the results of the test from our vet and It wasn't cancer - it
was Lupis. This is a disease of the immune system and is very treatible in
dogs with the use of stearoids. Casey has been on a low level of stearoids
now for two years and is still a very happy dog.

In addition to Casey, we now have Bear (this seems to be the most popular
name for Keeshonds - this was the name he had and they recommended we not
change it). Bear was found running with another dog. His hair was matted
and he was malnourished. Evidently he was kept UNDER the deck by his
previous owner and basically ignored. I've never understood how people can
obtain a pet and then ignore them so completely.

When we first brought Bear home, he was very introverted and shy. Now, two
years later, he is very extroverted and loves to make friends with both
people and other dogs. One of my favorite behaviors that he has is his smile.
He will look right at you and raise his upper lip in kind of a grimace and
either walk stiff legged toward you or roll over on his back and wave his
two front paws at you.

This was kind of a rambling story as to why I have two Keeshonds. If you
have lost one for some reason DON'T WAIT in getting another. It's not that
you will ever replace them but that you find out how unique each one is, just
like people.

Forrest L. Coleman f...@bighorn.dr.att.com
AT&T Bell Labs 303 538-1422
Denver, Colorado