Shar-Pei w/ Ear Infection!!

Vu Minh Le

Mar 9, 1995, 11:05:46 PM3/9/95

I have a 1 year-old Shar-Pei male, who just has an ear infection. I
took him to the vet, who gave me a cleansing solution (Nolvasan Otic).
I cleanse his ear daily but the problem never seems improved. I talked
to the vet and she told me that my Shar-Pei will have his ear infected
chrontically, due to the nature of his ears. He keeps scratching his
ear and I am afraid that he might injure his ear canal.

Does anyone know anything about curing ear infection or have any
information about this problem? Any helps are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

vml

Lori Kamus

Mar 10, 1995, 11:06:19 AM3/10/95

Prevention:
Quoth Elly Paulus, an extremely experienced breeder of
Shar-Pei who wrote the Paulus Chinese Shar-Pei Health
Care Newsletter (her husband and son are veterinarians):
"The first rule in preventive ear care for Chinese Shar-Pei
must be, never bathe a Shar-Pei above the collar line or
you will surely have an ear infection in ten days to two
weeks!" She recommends washing the dog's head with a
wet washcloth. This advice has worked well for our dogs.

Daily ear cleaning might be too much, especially if you leave
any of the wet cleaning solution behind. Dry the ear as well
as you can after cleaning. Try using a drying agent, like
Panodry, instead of, or after, the cleaning solution. Clean
ears very, very gently, or you can cause further irritation.
I use cotton balls dampened with Nolvasan Otic, followed
by dry cotton balls, to wipe out the ears of our two Shar-Pei
weekly. Lots of dark reddish-brown wax is normal, but not
yellowish discharge or swelling or redness.

Treatment:
Many things can cause the actual infection. If it is a just a
bacterial infection, the vet can prescribe a course of antibiotics.
With Shar-Pei, Mrs. Paulus recommends continuing the
treatment for at least a week after it seems to be cleared up,
and even longer in the case of a dog with repeated infections.
You want to be sure all infection has been cured so it doesn't
return, and Shar-Pei ears seem to be stubborn about
lingering infections. As she says, "chronic ear problems
should be treated intensely for a period of at least six weeks
to two months, no matter when the ear seems to be cured or
how good it looks".

If antibiotics haven't worked, or the ear has a very strong smell,
there may be a yeast infection. Antibiotics won't clear this. If a
yeast infection is diagnosed, your vet can recommend an
antifungal agent for sensitive ears, or you can try Mrs. Paulus'
remedy of a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water,
a few drops administered daily. Again, do this for several days
after the problem seems to have cleared. Both types of infection
at once is common, and these are just two of the things that
cause infections. Here's hoping your dog finds a solution!

Lori Kamus lak...@ingr.com

Gary C. Roats

Mar 13, 1995, 12:58:11 PM3/13/95

Hello,

We have a 3.5 yo bulldog with similar problems and vet tratment protocols.
We progressed from the infections to hyperplasia and then a *bulla
osteotomy,* which your vet can explain - not fun for your pal or for you.
Our feeling about this particular problem - these cocktails don't work.
Suggest you ask about allergies.

Good luck!

C.M.Newell

Mar 13, 1995, 8:51:29 AM3/13/95

>In article <3joj6q$d...@portal.gmu.edu>, v...@osf1.gmu.edu (Vu Minh Le) wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 1 year-old Shar-Pei male, who just has an ear infection. I
>> took him to the vet, who gave me a cleansing solution (Nolvasan Otic).
>> I cleanse his ear daily but the problem never seems improved. I talked
>> to the vet and she told me that my Shar-Pei will have his ear infected
>> chrontically, due to the nature of his ears. He keeps scratching his
>> ear and I am afraid that he might injure his ear canal.
>>
>> Does anyone know anything about curing ear infection or have any
>> information about this problem? Any helps are greatly appreciated.

>> vml

While Nolvasan is a good first line attack on the otitis your dog has, if it
didn't do the trick, I would see about trying a topical antibiotic--Otomax,
Panalog, or something similar.
I'm a bit at a loss to expalin why your DVM didn't suggest the same.
Another option would be to sedate the dog and do a thorough flush of the ear
canal before starting treatment.
No offense, but is you dog hard for the staff to handle?
--C.M.Newell, DVM

donna...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2020, 12:41:03 PM1/28/20
My girl is 7yr old chronic ear infections. Every treatment at vet is 300 dollars . Can you give us any suggestions

cshenk

Jan 28, 2020, 9:13:02 PM1/28/20
donna...@gmail.com wrote:

> My girl is 7yr old chronic ear infections. Every treatment at vet is
> 300 dollars . Can you give us any suggestions

Chronic ones tend to be food allergy driven. I am not sure what you
feed your dog, but the least expensive route to try first is a
wheat/corn/soy free brand. Many pet stores have their own now and a
20-25lb bag is often 11$ or so. You still have to treat the ear
infection completely but if it was wheat or corn (more likely than
soy), it won't come back. You have to check treats too for wheat or
corn (includes chews).

That said, a meat allergy is supposed to be more common, but it's
harder to figure out which one and seems to take longer to get
'results' than if it is wheat or corn.

Does the dog seem to chew or overgroom compared to others? I might add
some breeds are a bit more proe to this so a breed type (even if mixed)
helps.