bleeding 13 year old female dog, Normal?

Nancy

Sep 30, 2001, 10:38:15 PM9/30/01
I have a 13 year old beagle mix, who is heavy set, and still eats what she
wants, but seems happy and great appetite. however, for 3 days she seems to
be dribbling blood, wonder if this is still normal, and how long would this
last? she isnt spayed. Thanks, Nan

MtnGrmetNY

Sep 30, 2001, 11:10:49 PM9/30/01
>. however, for 3 days she seems to
>be dribbling blood, wonder if this is still normal,

Has she still had regular heats? I think a vet check or at least a call to him
might be a good idea.
Debbie

Dreamspinner3

Sep 30, 2001, 11:25:56 PM9/30/01
Here is a piece of advice:

GET THE DOG TO THE VET ASAP!!! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, GO!

Sigh...

On Mon, 01 Oct 2001 02:38:15 GMT, "Nancy" <snowfl...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

----------
Kim Miller
Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
ICQ: 48547727

Andrea J Chee

Oct 1, 2001, 9:21:38 AM10/1/01
In article <rGQt7.78281$hh.67...@bin1.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>, Nancy
<snowfl...@hotmail.com> writes

Dribbling from the vulva? That can be a serious sign in an unspayed
bitch. Run, don't walk, to the vet.

- ANDREA

--
Get PAID for the emails you already send and receive!
http://www.mailround.com/ Referrer: and...@bloodaxe.com

MtnGrmetNY

Oct 1, 2001, 1:08:24 PM10/1/01
>Dribbling from the vulva? That can be a serious sign in an unspayed
>bitch. Run, don't walk, to the vet.

Andrea, do you know what this could be symptomatic of? I thought it sounded
serious also.
Debbie

KauilaPolu

Oct 1, 2001, 1:43:56 PM10/1/01
>From: "Nancy"

Why isn't she spayed? You have already increased her chances of getting ovarian
cancer by not spaying her. Damn. Take her to the vet, get her checked and IF
she is okay to have the spaying done, GET it done.

Don't you love this dog? If you do, get her spayed if she isn't already paying
the price for your neglect. If you don't intend to get her help..PLEASE call a
local rescue or spca because she stands a better chance on death row than in
your non care

Toni

Oct 1, 2001, 2:00:23 PM10/1/01

"MtnGrmetNY" <mtngr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Pyometra.
Life threatening.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Lawrence & Bobbie

Oct 1, 2001, 11:23:55 PM10/1/01

> Why isn't she spayed? You have already increased her chances of getting
ovarian
> cancer by not spaying her. Damn. Take her to the vet, get her checked and
IF
> she is okay to have the spaying done, GET it done.

I was going to ask this too. Aside from medical issues, we are talking
about a mix breed (I love 'em, I've got 3), there is absolutly NO REASON
this dog shouldn't have been spayed when she was 6 months old. I really
don't mean to sound like a bitch, but come on...Has this dog had pups that
have contributed to the overpopulation (and in 13 years, it's seem highly
unlikely that an "accident" didn't occur...not to mention any pups she did
have having pups and so and so on). I just cannot understand why MOST
people don't get their dogs spayed or neutered. The only ones allowed to
breed should be the ones that truley represent their breed and the breeders
who do it for the love of the breed, not money. Maybe it would be a
different story if every shelter in the world were to go out of business
'cuz every dog had a home.
That aside, I hope you took this poor little thing to the vet and that it
wasn't too late.
Bobbie

MtnGrmetNY

Oct 1, 2001, 11:59:24 PM10/1/01
Yikes, doubt if this person will post to this board again. You guys really
jumped on her. Not that what you are saying isn't correct, but could you not
use a more gentle and tactful approach? Anyone wanting to do Humane Education
should teach, not preach! Just what if say she adopted this dog 2 years ago as
it sat on death row. Say the vet thought it was chancey to spay her then.
(Maybe an unlikely scenario but certainly possible) Don't assume guilt before
you know the details of peoples situation! And in situations where maybe some
feel the right thing isn't done, then please educate and inform without
attacking! You will generally get better results.
Debbie

MtnGrmetNY

Oct 2, 2001, 12:03:31 AM10/2/01
>Pyometra.
>Life threatening.

Oh yeah, I've heard of that. Not good at all!
Debbie

Alpha

Oct 2, 2001, 2:43:06 AM10/2/01
Gee Nancy if you had blood coming out of your mouth for a couple of days
what would you do?...Alpha

Treat your dog like a dog

dogsnus

Oct 2, 2001, 4:14:06 PM10/2/01
"Lawrence & Bobbie" <law...@rmci.net> wrote in
<nsau7.17183$0h4.6...@sjcpnn01.usenetserver.com>:

>> Why isn't she spayed? You have already increased her chances of
>> getting
>ovarian
>> cancer by not spaying her. Damn. Take her to the vet, get her checked
>> and
>IF
>> she is okay to have the spaying done, GET it done.
>

>I was going to ask this too. Aside from medical issues, we are talking
>about a mix breed (I love 'em, I've got 3), there is absolutly NO REASON
>this dog shouldn't have been spayed when she was 6 months old.

snip

C'mon guys. Read the post again. The bitch is 13 years old and surgery
can be dangerous.
Not that I'm saying it's okay to ask for medical advice here instead
of seeing a vet, but it's entirely possible, due to lack of information
in the OP, that the dog was given or found or some other sort of thing.
How do we know the OPoster has had this dog from puppyhood?
Personally, I myself would hestitate to subject a 13 year old dog
to spay surgery. I would, however, not hesitate to get that dog to
a vet.

I lost a dog at that age from shock after undergoing emergency surgery
for a spleen removal. Surgery can_ be very dangerous for an old dog.

Terri

KauilaPolu

Oct 2, 2001, 10:03:53 PM10/2/01
a 13 yr.old getting spayed is no more of a risk than getting a younger dog
spayed. If pre testing is done the vet will know more about the older dogs
overall health than underlying possible health issues would be for a young dog.
(and that testing is required for dogs considered seinors)

This OP posted for several days that this dog was dripping blood so you tell me
how much concern was being paid for this poor old girl. (the dog)

It is frustrating to hear people come here and ask for free advice from
strangers in situations that can be life-threatening. So COME ON...

KauilaPolu

Oct 2, 2001, 10:05:46 PM10/2/01
>>Pyometra.
>>Life threatening.

and anytime an UNSPAYED female suffers from discharge or bleeding from that
'area' Pyometra is usually the FIRST focus of attention.

Indeed, it is not only fatal if left untreated, but it is VERY painful and the
dog suffers terribly.

dogsnus

Oct 3, 2001, 11:14:22 PM10/3/01
kauil...@aol.com (KauilaPolu) wrote in
<20011002220353...@mb-mj.aol.com>:

>a 13 yr.old getting spayed is no more of a risk than getting a younger
>dog spayed.

Bloody hell it doesn't!
Have you ever lost a dog after surgery at that age? I_ have.
There is ONE hell of a lot of difference, and you're doing a diservice
to those who think there isn't.
Imagine this:
First, the dog was doing well, 13 years old, then, when you went to bring
your beloved 13 year old home, you find out it died from shock
while you were enroute, due to shock, several days later? It's lots easier
for a
responsible owner to keep the dog from getting pregnant than
having it spayed at the age of 13 for no other reason than to have it
spayed.
Unless you have been there, don't bother to tell me surgery on a 13 year
old dog isn't dangerous. It won't fly. There is always_ a risk, less on
younger dogs, but very much more on older dogs.

If pre testing is done the vet will know more about the
>older dogs overall health than underlying possible health issues would
>be for a young dog. (and that testing is required for dogs considered
>seinors)

Really? Even when it's dice or die? The white blood cells are choking
your dog's very life out due to internal bleeding? When it's of the urgency
to operate ASAP to save a dogs life? The Vet should still do blood testing?
In a state or country that has to send out for results? And wait?
Where it's not required for Vets in my State; operating on senior canines
for an emergency situation?

And, where is it written that all dogs be tested
before undergoing a life threatening condition where time is of the essence
to save it's life? In Hawaii, maybe. Not in every area.
Life is not a perfectly square box with square/parallel universes when it
comes to canine surgery. Especially on an old dog.

>This OP posted for several days that this dog was dripping blood so you
>tell me how much concern was being paid for this poor old girl. (the
>dog)
>
>It is frustrating to hear people come here and ask for free advice from
>strangers in situations that can be life-threatening. So COME ON...

Glad you_ have all the facts, invisible as they may be.
Do you know how far this person may be from a Vet?
Perhaps you
need a break from Usenet, since you don't seem to be able to separate the
facts from imagination without "frustration"?
Perhaps the knee jerk mentality you exhibit is closer to Elaine than
you would wish.

Terri

shootin...@webtv.net

Oct 4, 2001, 11:21:33 AM10/4/01
snowflake i dont know but if its the heat it is normal but if not a
heat not normal. ---they have those doggy diapers you can order that
fit nicely and so forth. your dog could get cancer or pyometritis from
not being spayed but at that age you will have to put her down or have
surgery if it happens. i dont know what to tell you. i had two females
spayed at 11 and they both did fine. you have to have blood work and be
sure that the vet is a good one and will be extra cautious with her .
then you have to accept if it doesnt go well. -------but be sure it is
a normal heat ---have vet look at. if you see any pussy or dark brown
funny looing stuff rush to the vets. ( pyometritis). at 13 i would
ask the vet for advice . she made it to old age and you are lucky
there. good luck

MtnGrmetNY

Oct 5, 2001, 12:27:10 AM10/5/01
> at 13 i would
>ask the vet for advice . she made it to old age and you are lucky
>there. good luck

Just had to make a little comment here. I wouldn't consider 13 old age for a
beagle or beagleX. Could have several years left in her.
Debbie

KauilaPolu

Oct 5, 2001, 12:58:50 AM10/5/01
>From: dog...@micron.net

>Perhaps you
>need a break from Usenet, since you don't seem to be able to separate the
>facts from imagination without "frustration"?
>Perhaps the knee jerk mentality you exhibit is closer to Elaine than
>you would wish.
>

>Terri

And perhaps your ranting tantrum should be vented on a shrink that refill that
bottle of prozac for you 'Dearie'.

I'll reserve further comment on your 'fit' when your properly sedated again.

KauilaPolu

Oct 5, 2001, 1:21:31 AM10/5/01
I know I should have let this Bizzaro World lose cannon slide, but I just had
to do a google check because I've done a lot of posting here for a long time
and although Dogsnus rang a bell I really couldn't tell ya why (I know now why.
"Terri" is just another misguided missle who has never impressed me with any
tangible input so of course other than the dumb screename "dogsnot" or whatever
I wouldn't skip a beat over one of your posts.

Glad I did that search though because out of all the information or input or
energy I've put into this site yours is really the nastiest and bitchiest post
I've received.

I see now you are on the killfile list of MANY in other sites as well as here.

In other words you're full of shit and I SURE feel better reminding you of
that.

so, to use your own stale words.......

'PLONK' .................your gone.

buglady

Oct 5, 2001, 11:26:53 AM10/5/01

KauilaPolu wrote in message <20011005012131...@mb-cb.aol.com>...

>"Terri" is just another misguided missle who has never impressed me with
any
>tangible input so of course other than the dumb screename "dogsnot" or
whatever
>I wouldn't skip a beat over one of your posts.

OUT IN THE SNOW WITH YOU!
Isn't there enough name calling and finger pointing going on in the world
right now? Huh?

>Glad I did that search though because out of all the information or input
or
>energy I've put into this site

Hey, KP, you're either here because you want to be or not. If you expect
somebody to pay you or shower you with compliments, you're in the wrong
place. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt. I know it does.

yours is really the nastiest and bitchiest post
>I've received.

.....and maybe your reply to the OP was the nastiest bitchiest post she'd
ever received. Tit for tat? Missle for missle? Strike for strike? There's
other ways to get your point across, even perhaps transmitting unhappiness
without dropping the big one on them. In the end you're only responsible
for yourself and your actions. Thank doG I don't live in a totalitarian
society. I'm sure I'd be doing something wrong sometime according to
someone else's idea of what was *right.*

buglady
take out the dog before replying

dogsnus

Oct 5, 2001, 5:40:42 PM10/5/01
kauil...@aol.com (KauilaPolu) wrote in
<20011005012131...@mb-cb.aol.com>:

>I know I should have let this Bizzaro World lose

That's loose, not lose.

cannon slide, but I
>just had to do a google check because I've done a lot of posting here
>for a long time

I remember when you showed up for the first time.

and although Dogsnus rang a bell I really couldn't tell
>ya why (I know now why. "Terri" is just another misguided missle who has
>never impressed me with any tangible input so of course other than the
>dumb screename "dogsnot" or whatever I wouldn't skip a beat over one of
>your posts.

Usually folks with no imagination just settle for (and failing) trying_
to insult me by calling me "dogsanus".
"dogsnot" doesn't bother me any more than "dogsanus".

>Glad I did that search though because out of all the information or
>input or energy I've put into this site yours is really the nastiest and
>bitchiest post I've received.

It's mild to some I've seen.

>I see now you are on the killfile list of MANY in other sites as well as
>here.

Really, you can SEE other people's killfiles?
Man, you are powerful!
LOL!

>In other words you're full of shit and I SURE feel better reminding you
>of that.

Feel free to feel so.
And I am NOT full of shit; surgery on an older dog is TOO more dangerous
than surgery on a younger dog. Ask a vet. Any vet.

>so, to use your own stale words.......
>
>'PLONK' .................your gone.

It really wasn't necessary to email me to tell me you "plonked" me,
yanno.
This post is sufficient. In fact, you could just quietly killfiled
me without the post nor the email. (Please stay out of my email, please,
it's meant for pleasant dialog and for family and friends.

I maintain my stance. Telling people that surgery on an older dog is
just as safe as surgery on a younger dog is just plain irresponsible.

Terri

Sally Hennessey

Oct 5, 2001, 9:11:16 PM10/5/01
On 05 Oct 2001 05:21:31 GMT, kauil...@aol.com (KauilaPolu) wrote:

>I know I should have let this Bizzaro World lose cannon slide, but I just had
>to do a google check because I've done a lot of posting here for a long time
>and although Dogsnus rang a bell I really couldn't tell ya why (I know now why.
>"Terri" is just another misguided missle who has never impressed me with any
>tangible input so of course other than the dumb screename "dogsnot" or whatever
>I wouldn't skip a beat over one of your posts.

If you spent any time on behavior (it's probably just as well that you
don't), you'd know that Terri/Dogsnus is not a misguided missile.
Whether or not she ever impressed you is of no importance or relevance
whatsoever. Many times, your advice is flat out wrong, not to mention
unimpressive. Terri/Dogsnus unquestionably knows far more about dogs
than you do.

If you want to come here and be the guru of lay veterinary advice,
you'd better develop a thicker skin. When people disagree with what
you say, they'll tell you. If you don't like it, you can killfile
everyone who disagrees with you, but after a while that may be
counterproductive. Silly, too.

Sally Hennessey

KauilaPolu

Oct 5, 2001, 10:34:40 PM10/5/01
>From: Sally Hennessey

>Terri/Dogsnus is not a misguided missile.
>Whether or not she ever impressed you is of no importance or relevance
>whatsoever. Many times, your advice is flat out wrong, not to mention
>unimpressive.

Piss off.

MtnGrmetNY

Oct 5, 2001, 11:02:40 PM10/5/01
Ladies please! No Catfights allowed on the dog board! LOL, trying to lighten
it up a bit, that's all.
Let's leave it alone and get back to the dogs. Most posting here are not
vets, just owner's offering their advice based on their knowledge and
experience.
There's no need for this, you're all great contributors.
Debbie

KauilaPolu

Oct 5, 2001, 11:26:09 PM10/5/01
>From: mtngr...@aol.com

>Ladies please! No Catfights allowed on the dog board! LOL, trying to
>lighten
>it up a bit, that's all.

Thanks Deb. You're right. I guess I got my "Irish" fluffed abit. I promise to
return to my crate and chill out.

MtnGrmetNY

Oct 5, 2001, 11:43:18 PM10/5/01
>Thanks Deb. You're right. I guess I got my "Irish" fluffed abit. I promise to
>return to my crate and chill out.

LOL..glad you still have a sense of humor! One day I'm sure someone will see
my 'Swedish' fluffed and trust me, it won't be good, LOL. (They don't call us
blockheads for nothing!) No crate for you, you're fully trained, you get a
nice nap on the bed! LOL
Seriously, I think people are more tense than normal because of what has gone
on and what might yet to be, so let's just go easy here on each other.
Debbie

Sally Hennessey

Oct 6, 2001, 7:17:15 AM10/6/01

Now *that* is an impressive response. It's definitely the way to
increase your credibility and convince people that you know what
you're talking about, that you're mature enough to handle criticism,
etc. Jeez.

In any case, I will not piss off. I have the same right to be here
that you do, and I will remain here, whether that makes you happy or
not. And every time I think you're wrong in comments you make about a
regular, or in advice you give someone, I will say so.

Have a nice day!

Sally Hennessey

Sally Hennessey

Oct 6, 2001, 7:19:05 AM10/6/01

With all due respect, we don't need a referee.

The fact that most people who post here are not vets is totally
irrelevant. If anything, it makes it more critical that people be
careful what they say - - they are *not* vets, and should make sure
that what they advise is accurate.

Sally Hennessey

buglady

Oct 6, 2001, 11:12:06 AM10/6/01

Sally Hennessey wrote in message ...

>With all due respect, we don't need a referee.

......could you please change that to *I* don't need a referee?

If you keep hammering a nail you'll eventually mar the wood.

dogsnus

Oct 6, 2001, 12:29:38 PM10/6/01
kauil...@aol.com (KauilaPolu) wrote in <20011005223440.16697.00000873@mb-
da.aol.com>:

Um, Sally probably squats. But, my male, Luke, would be more than
happy to piss on your leg.

Terri

dogsnus

Oct 6, 2001, 12:31:41 PM10/6/01
mtngr...@aol.com (MtnGrmetNY) wrote in
<20011005230240...@mb-mt.aol.com>:

>Ladies please! No Catfights allowed on the dog board! LOL, trying to
>lighten it up a bit, that's all.
> Let's leave it alone and get back to the dogs. Most posting here are
> not
>vets, just owner's offering their advice based on their knowledge and
>experience.

Hey, I'm not upset. Actually having a good time, as it were.
:)
These things come up sometimes. But, I've pretty much lost interest
at this point, so I'll just let it go for now, reserving the right, of
course, to correct any bad information I come across.

Terri

KauilaPolu

Oct 6, 2001, 12:44:12 PM10/6/01
>From: mtngr...@aol.com
>Seriously, I think people are more tense than normal because of what has gone
>on and what might yet to be

I think you are right Debbie. In fact I stopped coming here completely. My mind
was on so many things. I came back because I got some email requests to return
and several people said my posts had been helpful in the past and seemed to
make a difference.

I think that is why all of us come here, and so I came back.

One of the people who have posted their opinions about me and criticized my
track-record here is actually someone who did that before. This time when she
turned up again (as she always does) I gotta tell ya it really seemed to get on
my last nerve.

I'm sure it is because the strain on our emotions lately has been a true test
of our endurance. Even though all of us aren't in New York, I believe we will
ALL be directly affected by what has happened and what has yet come to pass.

My own brother-in-law was in the Pentagon. He survived the attack but just
barely. He is a Major in the Army and will certainly be part of this whole
retaliation. My baby sister, his wife, is in Washington DC. My mom and dad will
be going there next month to stay with her.

Flying is scary and my daughter and her family were planning on coming for
Christmas and now we are weighing that choice given the still unsecured airport
status. Flying is a real and present danger and probably will be a prime option
for terrorists to target again.

So much to think about and so yes, I guess our nerves are less flexible. Still,
people don't really change and so those who were a pain in the ass before are
gonna still pain my ass again.

I'll just consider it my patriotic duty to rise above the b.s. and do what I
came here to do....and that is try to offer support or insight or information
to those who come seeking it.

Sally Hennessey

Oct 6, 2001, 12:59:04 PM10/6/01
On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:12:06 GMT, "buglady" <bugl...@bigfootdog.com>
wrote:

>Sally Hennessey wrote in message ...
>>With all due respect, we don't need a referee.
>

>......could you please change that to *I* don't need a referee?

Wasn't referring to you, but sure. I don't need a referee.

>If you keep hammering a nail you'll eventually mar the wood.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, since I didn't get into this
thread until KP insulted Terri. But whatever.

Sally Hennessey

buglady

Oct 6, 2001, 1:44:18 PM10/6/01

Sally Hennessey wrote in message
<7idurt4i4rum2316a...@4ax.com>...

>Wasn't referring to you, but sure. I don't need a referee.
.....Well, without defining who *we* was, you were. <g> I have a thing
about *we* lately as in All we Americans should..........do.....think......

buglady

Oct 6, 2001, 1:53:54 PM10/6/01

KauilaPolu wrote in message <20011006124412...@mb-mb.aol.com>...

>My own brother-in-law was in the Pentagon. He survived the attack but just
>barely. He is a Major in the Army and will certainly be part of this whole
>retaliation. My baby sister, his wife, is in Washington DC. My mom and dad
will
>be going there next month to stay with her.

........Best wishes to your family and hopefully your BIL won't be doing
anything but standing guard duty. I have made up my mind we are not going
to war!

Flying is a real and present danger and probably will be a prime option
>for terrorists to target again.

..........Don't think so. If you let fear run your life they've won. If I
didn't have so many animules I'd get on a plane today and go visit Fall
somewhere as my soul years for some colors. Flying is probably safer now
than it was a month ago. If the cultists (which is how I prefer to think of
these brainwashed individuals) knew everything about our air system, they
would have known about the tribulations of lost and misdirected luggage
connected with flying and would not have left important stuff in their
baggage for us to look at when one piece ended up somewhere else instead of
on the plane with them. Ah, synchronicity.....I love it!

>Still,people don't really change

.......Sure they do. But they and you and I have to want to. Here's 2
things to keep in mind.

Become the change you wish to see in the world..... Ghandi
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick
your friend's nose.

Sally Hennessey

Oct 6, 2001, 2:03:02 PM10/6/01
On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 17:44:18 GMT, "buglady" <bugl...@bigfootdog.com>
wrote:

>Sally Hennessey wrote in message
><7idurt4i4rum2316a...@4ax.com>...
>>Wasn't referring to you, but sure. I don't need a referee.
>.....Well, without defining who *we* was, you were. <g> I have a thing
>about *we* lately as in All we Americans should..........do.....think......

Because you are not an American? This is certainly not worth arguing
about. However, I was not referring to you when I said "we". Your
interpreting it as including you does not change the fact that I did
not intend it to refer to you. So, again, I don't need a referee.
Nor does the person to whom I was referring when I said "we".

Sally Hennessey

KauilaPolu

Oct 6, 2001, 2:28:24 PM10/6/01
>From: "buglady"

>..Best wishes to your family and hopefully your BIL won't be doing
>anything but standing guard duty

I wish that were the case but he went to Desert Storm and now he is in Plans
And Operations (which is why his section of the pentagon was hit. Plans And
Operations is the heart of our defense and in the Outer Ring of the Pentagon).
Patrick Kirk is going to war.

> I have made up my mind we are not going
>to war!

With all due respect BL, we are already AT war. We just haven't pulled the
trigger yet, but as soon as the moon is no longer full that first wave will be
executed.

I said flying is still a real and present danger and it is. Nothing has changed
regarding our security except the first lines of defense (check-in inspections)
but by no means are the planes secured yet.

Does that mean I wouldn't fly? No way. I will fly soon in fact. My fears have
nothing to do with worrying about a plane I am in becoming another bomb. My
fears are for the hits against my liberty and the sense of freedom I have been
blessed to embrace and depend on.

I fear the world my grandchildren and children will be left with will be
secured and protected. With security comes a LOSS of freedom.

A Chinese saying: "May you be blessed to live in UNCERTAIN times"....

MtnGrmetNY

Oct 6, 2001, 9:09:06 PM10/6/01
>With all due respect, we don't need a referee.

No, but maybe a board monitor if you think people want to read this childish
crap between you two, or three now. Was just trying to stop it from going
further, obviously unsucessfully.

>The fact that most people who post here are not vets is totally irrelevant.
If anything, it makes it more critical that people be careful what they say - -
they are *not* vets, and should make sure
>that what they advise is accurate.
No, it is totally relevant, point being, don't take anyone's word here as a
solid diagnosis, and get to the vet if need be. And yes, people should be
careful with their answers.
Debbie

Sally Hennessey

Oct 6, 2001, 9:19:59 PM10/6/01
On 07 Oct 2001 01:09:06 GMT, mtngr...@aol.com (MtnGrmetNY) wrote:

>>The fact that most people who post here are not vets is totally irrelevant.
>If anything, it makes it more critical that people be careful what they say - -
>they are *not* vets, and should make sure
>>that what they advise is accurate.
>No, it is totally relevant, point being, don't take anyone's word here as a
>solid diagnosis, and get to the vet if need be. And yes, people should be
>careful with their answers.

Yes, from that standpoint, you're right, it is relevant. Didn't know
what you meant when you first said that.

Sally Hennessey

debhe...@yahoo.com

Mar 27, 2016, 7:44:46 PM3/27/16
On Sunday, September 30, 2001 at 10:38:15 PM UTC-4, Nancy wrote:
> I have a 13 year old beagle mix, who is heavy set, and still eats what she
> wants, but seems happy and great appetite. however, for 3 days she seems to
> be dribbling blood, wonder if this is still normal, and how long would this
> last? she isnt spayed. Thanks, Nan

Wow you people are really jumping on this one.could the dog just be in a heat cycle ? Older unspayed females can still come into season

cshenk

Mar 27, 2016, 8:18:54 PM3/27/16
debhe...@yahoo.com wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:
Correct, unlike human females, they just slow down on how often they go
into heat. Older spay females are also horribly prone to breast cancer
(most starts behind the back legs at the back most set). At age 13
unspayed, this female is in the 25% chance of it catagory. Spaying now
will not reduce it. It's too late.

donna_...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 28, 2017, 12:46:12 PM1/28/17
What a nasty thing to say to this poor dog owner some peopledont like to put their bitches through such a major op that may I add could kill them doing so.. So give them a break my mums dog an American beagle was 16 when she passed and was never spayed!! She came to know harm and she was euthanised because she was having mini strokes and cancer of the spine.. wash your potty mouth out so nasty... yes the owner should take her to the vet but shouldn't have to endure your cruel comments

noflex...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2017, 5:58:19 PM2/13/17
On Monday, October 1, 2001 at 1:43:56 PM UTC-4, KauilaPolu wrote:
> >From: "Nancy"
>
> Why isn't she spayed? You have already increased her chances of getting ovarian
> cancer by not spaying her. Damn. Take her to the vet, get her checked and IF
> she is okay to have the spaying done, GET it done.
>
> Don't you love this dog? If you do, get her spayed if she isn't already paying
> the price for your neglect. If you don't intend to get her help..PLEASE call a
> local rescue or spca because she stands a better chance on death row than in
> your non care

who spays there dog "because they love them" ...you dont love your dog if you fix them...smh....how would you like to be "fixed"?

rustic...@gmail.com

May 21, 2017, 12:16:41 PM5/21/17
What a fucking idiot you are and obviously you know Nothing about animals. A female 13 years old dog would Not be a great candidate for being fixed att his point. My Vet and most Vets do not encourage Unnecessary surgeries especially on a senior pet. I like many smart ethical pet owners who chose Not to fix our bitches but instead keep them protected at home and never take in public during heat don't consider ourselves Bad people because everybody else is putting their pets inder the knife. Americans are so full of shit akways making blanket statements to maje someone feel bad.

cshenk

May 21, 2017, 3:13:43 PM5/21/17
rustic...@gmail.com wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:
A female dog not spayed by age 2 has twice the risk of Mamarian cancer
and the longer the years it waits, this higher the chance is until it
hits 1 in 4. Late spays are particilarily prone to bi-lateral anterior
mamary cancers with rapid metastatic behavior to the lumphatic system.

Be cheap if you want to. I'll take the fact that our dogs live longer
with a lower incidence of cancer do to late spay.

dellado...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2017, 11:11:50 PM6/23/17
She may have Pyro metra .should we get her spayed.

cshenk

Jun 24, 2017, 10:06:02 AM6/24/17
dellado...@gmail.com wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:

> She may have Pyro metra .should we get her spayed.

Yes. Here's a link to it.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/pyometra-in-dogs

Spaying is the normal and most safe option provided she is well enough
for surgery. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that she won't
make it. If she's not surgical, apparently they use the other (far
less effective methods) to knock it back enough at least to then spay
her.

This is a vet emergency case so I'd get there today.

neelamti...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2018, 4:33:50 PM3/25/18
Well said

lanette.b...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2018, 3:57:02 AM8/23/18
Amen to that!

lanette.b...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2018, 4:00:59 AM8/23/18
Good for you.. She was pathetic!

bcoo...@loyno.edu

Sep 28, 2018, 7:36:18 AM9/28/18
On Sunday, September 30, 2001 at 9:38:15 PM UTC-5, Nancy wrote:
> I have a 13 year old beagle mix, who is heavy set, and still eats what she
> wants, but seems happy and great appetite. however, for 3 days she seems to
> be dribbling blood, wonder if this is still normal, and how long would this
> last? she isnt spayed. Thanks, Nan

Sorry Nancy but this site does not seem the site to ask a question on...very hateful and angry people that do not seem to want to help but just to bitch people out. Hope they don't break an ankle when they fall off their soapbox.

cshenk

Oct 25, 2018, 8:09:58 PM10/25/18
Hi Brookman, you replied to a post from 2001 so it's a bit late to help
her?

It seems the female was in heat?

tracyb...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2019, 3:08:06 AM1/13/19
Your a complete moron, don't talk to her like that..

tracykr...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2019, 6:32:54 PM2/11/19
Thank you whom ever that person that stood up for me. I have rescued 3 older dogs. This female is do preciuos. The vet wouldn't spay her because of her age. She might not make it through the surgery. So yes- teach don't preach! That's why we ask questions, hoping to get answers. We all love and treat our pets like our kids.

cshenk

Feb 16, 2019, 10:14:45 AM2/16/19
Welcome Tracy

Actually at 3 she can be spayed. There's no end to when that can be
done if the dog is healthy. In Virginia Beach we have many rescues and
I've adopted 1 elderly female who was spayed at the age of 18 (believed
to be). Still, you don't mention her age and she may have had other
health problems.

What you saw (and will again as female dogs don't have menopause, they
just slow down a lot on the heat cycles) was a heat cycle likely.

The big risk in late spay is mammary cancer. Waiting past age 3
increases the risk a lot and someplace (I'll try to find it, PetMD
probably) is over age 10 then it becomes 1 in 4 will get mammary
cancer. Since most breeds don't live much past that, it becomes
notable for Terriers and Beagles (and any mix of them).

Checking for that is actually pretty easy. It's much like a self
breast exam you might do in the shower (Tracy can be a gender neutral
name).

If you are a male Tracy then I just talked greek at you! Ok, you use
the flats of your fingers and in this case you are giving her a tummy
rub. Same firmness you would use for a nice belly rub but go slow and
feel aound the breast areas. The most common spot for it to start is
in the hind teats, near the junction of her back legs. You check for
changes or any tenderness developing. In a spayed dog (no heat), they
should be stable with no tenderness. If she starts heat, that probably
changes but I have no direct experience as I've never had an unspayed
dog.

BTW on the group here, what we mostly see are folks using googlegroups
who don't bother to check the date of the post. Googlegroups at the
start, shows you oldest messages first. You have to skip to current.
Thats why 'progress...@gmail.com' got a short answer on his
diatribe on the dog and the soap bar. He was replying to a post from
1999.

Carol

mudpup...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2019, 11:32:05 PM4/1/19
Some people here are just mean as hell. We have a 13 y/o Ack Russel mix who was never spayed, and, as you saidvshe got cancer. It is devestating. Ibwant to tell you, she has been well cared for, loved and saved from a puppy mill type setting in a atore. We looked at her, knew she wouldn't make it. Her first vet visit, underweight, weaned too soon, diarrhea, 7 medicines we had to give her. She has outlived 2 neutered nales. One Border Collie who was 11 and had epilepsy since age 2, meds 2x a day. After him, ac160lb King Shepherd who developed demyeinating disease, use a lift to take him out or get him up, used dog wheelchair, rubber mats t/o home. He was well taken care of and loved. So, the thing is, when growing up we had males, when we got our girl the both dogs were neutered, one before getting her and one after. She never was messy, the two dogs didn't bother her but for a little whine occ.. It surely didn't disrupt our home. We have two cats that are fixed, one male, one female, one is a neighborhood stray who we rescued. And we have a border mix now, male, neutered. All are up tobdate on shots, all are chipped, all have toys, love, attention and couch time. So, yes I feel aweful about our girl, I cry BUT I honestly never knew or was told by a Vet that she is more likely to get cancer. So, go ahead and judge instead of educate people. I have a feeling there are alot of people who love their animals, who are good fur parents but you may have done worse, because now some may never again ask for help for their animalon this or any site. And you may be the cause. Think about that. I sure as hell wouldn't ask advice on here.

mudpup...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2019, 11:35:20 PM4/1/19
Could it be that she felt little drips of blood were like a human female period? Not everyone is a couch vet ya know.

cshenk

Apr 7, 2019, 11:19:16 AM4/7/19
Hi Mud Puppy (name you use here).

I sincerely hope it is not my message to Tracy hat you refer to as
heartless. There was no such intention. I merely helped understand
implications of late spay. Even after late spay, the risk remains but
is reduced. I know because the 18yo we referenced being spayed that
late (Aunti Mabel) died of mamary cancer combined with a stroke at age
20.5.

Not everyone knows these things and vets are not always as informative
as we would like.

Auti Mabel's cancer was operable with an excellent prognosis but then a
series of strokes happened the night before her scheduled mammectomy.
It was heart breaking to bring her in that morning to be let go instead
of saving her life for a bit more with the cancer removed. The fact is,
she no longer could survive the surgery due to the stroke. Had it been
only the stroke, we'd have ridden it though and she might have
recovered (she had from several small ones over the years) but the
cancer was growing too fast for her to make it wait. Catch-22.

Our 16yo blind female (blind age 9, spayed age 9, adpted age 11) gets
her 'special tummy rub check' daily.

Tracy didn't list age of dog and replied to an old thread (so the
subject doesnt help other than he/she had a similar issue best I can
tell). Tracy did say the vet was hestitant due to age of the dog and
there might be other medical issues not listed in his/her case.

I added how to do a breast exam on a female dog as Tracy might be male
and so not really know how.

Meantime, I feel for your loss. We just lost our Cash (beagle mix) at
presumed age 13. A rescue who'd barely made it through heart worm
treatment, we were warned when we adopted him he'd apt to not see 7 (4
years and only that if we were very careful). Cash was adopted un
neutered becasue even the SPCA refused to do it 3 times (health
related). He got turned down by Banfield until we got his weight up to
a minimal 37lbs and then they agreed the stress of sniffing the ladies
was higher than the risks so we paid a lot to have the doggie
cardiologist for it (they refused unless we had one).

Cash made it obviously but was forever a little underweight at 52lbs
(he was a mixed breed, beagle looking in head and coloring, bull
mastiff neck down looking). Cash was only 27lbs when we adopted. You
could count his vertebra from across the room.

Monday he was lethargic. Tuesday he didnt eat breakfast. Worrysome
but not an emergency. Tuesday night he didnt eat dinner and we called
the vet and got him in on an emergency trip next day. Blood tests show
Systemic shutdown similar to drinking anti-freeze. They had us take
him to the pet hospital by noon for more extensive tests (CAT scans and
all that). Wednesday night we got the news. They want to rule out a
few things with a final test, but they have him on pain killers and he
has cancer. Multiple masses and nothing they can do.

We let him go Thursday, 4 April.

I understand your pain and hope I did not say something that upset you.
If I did, I apologize.

Carol

in...@h2oplumbinglincs.co.uk

Mar 15, 2020, 5:04:36 AM3/15/20
You have no right to speak to the dog owner that way. They wouldn’t be on here asking for help if they didn’t care arsehole

stones...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2020, 11:09:31 AM3/20/20