diarea for month! What to do?

1 view

Michael Calleia

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

I have a seven month old Pharaoh Hound that has had diarea for a month
now. I have taken stole sample to vet #1 and they can't find anything.
So, I tried vet #2, as per recommended by many people at my local dog
run (personnally I sort of liked vet #1 better, vet #2 seemed a bit
strange, and BTW I am thinking of trying vet #3 which is the vet my
breeder uses (although it would be quite a trip to go for someone
without a car (OK, enough about vets))).

Vet #2 checked out the dog, said he has never seen a Pharaoh Hound (what
is new) and that 1) the dog should be heavier (I disagree he eats as
much as wants now, about 5.5 to 6 cups a day of Science Diet Puppy
Growth) 2) that I should switch food to Abady (which is a sort of
high-protien-health food for dogs, and looks a lot like the poop I want
coming out) and 3) give the dog Panacure for three days (the de-worming
nukes of dog drugs, this after telling him some Pharaoh Hounds are
sensitive to medication).

So, far I have tried skipping a meal to clean the dog out and giving him
chicken and rice, neither work (the chicken and rice are a quick
temperary fix). The stole the pup is making was usually fine at first
then would turn liquified as if passed through a blender. Now, it starts
out fine, goes quickly to mush, then this mucusy stuff at the end.

Right now I am getting the perscription filled for the panacure (vet #2
ran out and is sending me to vet #1 to get it...oh boy) and checking
with my breeder for advise on this drug, but I was wondering if anyone
out there has had an similar experiences?

Michael Calleia

OBVC

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <331AEF...@Bway.net>, I...@Bway.net says...

>I have a seven month old Pharaoh Hound that has had diarea for a month
>now. I have taken stole sample to vet #1 and they can't find anything.
>So, I tried vet #2, as per recommended by many people at my local dog
>run (personnally I sort of liked vet #1 better, vet #2 seemed a bit
>strange, and BTW I am thinking of trying vet #3 which is the vet my
>breeder uses (although it would be quite a trip to go for someone
>without a car (OK, enough about vets))).
>
>Vet #2 checked out the dog, said he has never seen a Pharaoh Hound
(what
>is new) and that 1) the dog should be heavier (I disagree he eats as
>much as wants now, about 5.5 to 6 cups a day of Science Diet Puppy
>Growth)

This is a very good food. If the dog is underweight, it could have a
maldigestion or malabsorption problem... which can be related to
diarrhea.

2) that I should switch food to Abady (which is a sort of
>high-protien-health food for dogs, and looks a lot like the poop I want
>coming out)

Never heard of it. I would stick with science diet.

and 3) give the dog Panacure for three days (the de-worming
>nukes of dog drugs, this after telling him some Pharaoh Hounds are
>sensitive to medication).

Sight hounds are sensitive to barbituate anesthetics. They are not
"sensitive" to "drugs".

>So, far I have tried skipping a meal to clean the dog out and giving
him
>chicken and rice, neither work (the chicken and rice are a quick
>temperary fix). The stole the pup is making was usually fine at first
>then would turn liquified as if passed through a blender. Now, it
starts
>out fine, goes quickly to mush, then this mucusy stuff at the end.
>
>Right now I am getting the perscription filled for the panacure (vet #2
>ran out and is sending me to vet #1 to get it...oh boy) and checking
>with my breeder for advise on this drug, but I was wondering if anyone
>out there has had an similar experiences?
>
>Michael Calleia

Is the diarrhea of large or small bowel origin? This can be very
important in determining the cause.

Other differentials for chronic diarrhea (some, not a complete list)

giardia
coccidia
roundworms
hookworms
exocrine pancreatic insufficiency
bacterial overgrowth
dietary intolerance or indescretion

(etc.)

--
Ocean Beach Veterinary Hospital
http://www.cport.com/~obvc/

PLEASE NOTE: In the absence of a traditional veterinarian-client-patient
relationship, this information should be taken as a friendly opinion,
not
as an official clinical recommendation.

Nancy E. Holmes or R. Nelson Ruffin

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

Michael - I would ask the breeder about Panacur and go and use it if the
breeder says its ok as this sounds to me like a potential case of whipworm
- the darn things seldom shed eggs and yet they cause the listed symptoms -
a light infestation may cause them intermittently. I hope the vet checked
for coccidia and giardia too as they can cause the same thing.
good luck!
Nancy
ps what food was the breeder feeding? some hounds are sensitive about food
and water changes.

Michael Calleia <I...@Bway.net> wrote in article <331AEF...@Bway.net>...

> I have a seven month old Pharaoh Hound that has had diarea for a month
> now. I have taken stole sample to vet #1 and they can't find anything.

>snip

OBVC

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <emery-04039...@128.249.96.60>, em...@bcm.tmc.edu
says...

>ProPlan. SD's firs ingredient (I believe) is corn, then chicken
byproduct.

>ProPlan's #1 ingredient is real meat. Just a few things to consider.
Good
>luck!
>
>diane

Obviously you are a person who is easily tricked by marketing to:
1.) believe that the ingredient listed first on the label is truely
present in the largest amount (when often ingredients like corn are
split into several portions like corn meal, corn gluten, rolled corn,
etc to bring the chicken to the top.)

and 2.) That ingredients are more important than the nutrients the
animal receives from the food.

If the majority of animals eating science diet had diarrhea I don't
think it would be as popular as it is.

Diane E. Emery

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

It may sound odd but try adding a few tablespoons of live culture yoghurt
to his food. It will help replenish the natural flora of the intestinal
tract. We did this when a bought of diarea for a month wouldnt clear up
(as per vet's instructions) I also found that our GSDs stools were fairly
loose on Science Diet and firmed up quite a bit when we switched to

ProPlan. SD's firs ingredient (I believe) is corn, then chicken byproduct.
ProPlan's #1 ingredient is real meat. Just a few things to consider. Good
luck!

diane
em...@bcm.tmc.edu

Diane E. Emery

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <5fhjbc$q42$1...@news.structured.net>, OB...@no-bulkmail.please
(OBVC) wrote:

snip discussion on ProPlan being better than Science Diet

> Obviously you are a person who is easily tricked by marketing to:
> 1.) believe that the ingredient listed first on the label is truely
> present in the largest amount (when often ingredients like corn are
> split into several portions like corn meal, corn gluten, rolled corn,
> etc to bring the chicken to the top.)

trust me, I did quite a bit of research before I switched brands and I
know how to read labels. CHICKEN is better than CHICKEN BY PRODUCT.

> and 2.) That ingredients are more important than the nutrients the
> animal receives from the food.

You get more nutrients from higher quality ingredients.

> If the majority of animals eating science diet had diarrhea I don't
> think it would be as popular as it is.

I never said all dogs on SD had diarhea. I said OUR dog's stool was
looser on SD than it is on ProPlan

> --

diane

OBVC

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

>trust me, I did quite a bit of research before I switched brands and I
>know how to read labels. CHICKEN is better than CHICKEN BY PRODUCT.

The whole point is that labels are misleading. I hope you did your
research on something other than labels. If you believe they put whole
chicken into dog food you havn't done enough research. Have you ever
visited a dog food plant? Maybe you should.

OBVC

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

In article <331cba1a...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
elaine...@worldnet.att.net says...

>Sighthounds are also very sensitive to wormers -- perhaps this is what
>the original poster was referring to here, since he was discussing
>Panacur. I have been advised *never* to give worming medications to
>greyhounds that are organophosphate- or carbamate-based -- only
>pyrethrins, and those to be used sparingly.

Pyrethrins, organophosphates, and carbamates are all common ingredients
in flea products. Products like pyrantel pamoate (strongid-T),
fenbendazole (Panacur) - do not have any of those ingredients and are
among the most commonly prescribed anthelmentics ("dewormers").

What you say about avoiding organophosphates and carbamates in
sighthounds is very true.