Poop Like chalk

Bettina Jordan

Apr 17, 2001, 9:21:35 PM4/17/01
Well that just what it looks like. For about three days now whenever my lab
goes it comes out so dry it just crumbles when it hits the ground. The only
thing that has been different is she got her parvo shot Saturday. Two vials
of blood taken and her thyroid pill is from a different company. Does
anyone have any ideas? It looks yellow and is very dry like chalk. I called
the vet and he said he didn't think it was anything. My regular vet is not
in until Thursday. Any ideas?

Bettina & Cheyenne

KauilaPolu

Apr 17, 2001, 10:31:05 PM4/17/01
I am no expert but I can tell you that my dogs have had the same thing (chalk
###) from time to time and I bet if you give it a wait and see attitude and
watch it for a week or so you will notice it changes back to ...'normal'.
Make sure you don't change your dogs diet (and if you do make sure you do it
slowly over a matter of days) and no people food.

Nancy Holmes or Nelson Ruffin

Apr 18, 2001, 9:12:00 AM4/18/01
Has your dog gotten into any bones lately? 'bone poop' often looks as you
describe as it does not hold moisture well and is not colored by the
digestive process.
Nancy
Bettina Jordan <bett...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

Dreamspinner3

Apr 18, 2001, 9:30:08 AM4/18/01
Is there another vet you can take your dog to sooner?

Bettina Jordan

Apr 18, 2001, 9:30:45 AM4/18/01
Oh my goodness. I have been giving her a bone each evening, she loves them.
I get thigh bones from my butcher. I have to special order them. It looks
like a bone out of a Flintstone cartoon, it's so big. I boil them first.
Vets orders but I have been doing this for about 2 months and I don't
remember this happening. Should I stop the bones? Poor thing has nothing
to chew. I don't give her rawhide because she has swallowed large pieces a
few times and I'm also afraid of the chemicals that they are treated with.
Thanks so much more the information.

Bettina & Cheyenne
"Nancy Holmes or Nelson Ruffin" <fmka...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Bettina Jordan

Apr 18, 2001, 10:13:27 AM4/18/01
Please tell me why you think I should go to another vet sooner? Do you
think this is serious?

Bettina

"Dreamspinner3" <tango...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

buglady

Apr 18, 2001, 1:12:49 PM4/18/01
Does she eat the whole bone or a significant portion of it each evening? If
so, you're really throwing off her calcium balance. Bones for recreation
probably shouldn't be given more than a couple of times a week.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Bettina Jordan wrote in message
<9GgD6.5672$hH3.5...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

Ellen Van Landingham

Apr 18, 2001, 1:41:00 PM4/18/01
Bettina,

If your dog eats bones (as mine do), that's exactly what her poop
is supposed to look like. Don't worry about it.

ellen & the Perfect Puppies(tm) and Bella the Near Deer
--
mailto:el...@ekrus.org

Jen

Apr 18, 2001, 1:47:18 PM4/18/01
the BARF diet stands for Bones and Raw Food. This is supposed to be the
"best" diet out there...

www.barfers.com

Jen

Rocky

Apr 18, 2001, 3:02:23 PM4/18/01
NOTSPAMc...@dog.com (Jen) wrote in
<3ADDD4D9...@dog.com>:

>the BARF diet stands for Bones and Raw Food. This is
>supposed to be the "best" diet out there...

Bettina is cooking the bones, though (which might explain why
her dog could be ingesting them).
--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Bettina Jordan

Apr 18, 2001, 3:15:37 PM4/18/01
Okay, so now I am getting really crazy. I just got the bag of poop from the
trash outside and did a little inspecting. There are a bunch of little
pieces of bone in it. Chips about the size of a half of a lentil. I have
been giving her these bones cooked for a couple of months and never noticed
the chalk thing and this is the first time I did a poop investigation. I
don't usually give them each night. I only let her have them for a bit and
then wrap it up and refrigerate it until next time. Don't ask. She never
consumes the whole thing, it's very big and very hard. She chips off these
little pieces and when the bone has no more flavor it gets tossed .

Bettina & Cheyenne

"Rocky" <australia...@cadvision.com> wrote in message

KauilaPolu

Apr 18, 2001, 3:23:59 PM4/18/01
Bettina,
My advice to you is pay closer attention to 'Buglady's' post than you would
most others (including my own).

She is known to carefully word and research her posts.

Rocky

Apr 18, 2001, 3:49:45 PM4/18/01
bett...@peoplepc.com (Bettina Jordan) wrote in
<tJlD6.5968$hH3.5...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>:

>Okay, so now I am getting really crazy. I just got the bag
>of poop from the trash outside and did a little inspecting.
>There are a bunch of little pieces of bone in it. Chips
>about the size of a half of a lentil. I have been giving her
>these bones cooked for a couple of months and never noticed
>the chalk thing and this is the first time I did a poop
>investigation. I don't usually give them each night. I only
>let her have them for a bit and then wrap it up and
>refrigerate it until next time. Don't ask. She never
>consumes the whole thing, it's very big and very hard. She
>chips off these little pieces and when the bone has no more
>flavor it gets tossed .

Are the chips sharp? From your other posts in this thread, it
doesn't sound like there's blood in the stool.

How long do you cook the bones? The only time I boiled a bone
was when I was introducing raw bones to my younger dog. Even
then, I boiled it for only about 30 seconds to soften the marrow
so that I could scoop some of it out.

It doesn't sound as if any damage has been done. I'd stick to
raw femur or knuckle bones, though. Introduce the rich marrow
bones to your dog gradually.

Jen

Apr 18, 2001, 4:13:39 PM4/18/01
Possibly...depends on how long she boils them for....the meat will cook
faster than the bone...

Jen

Bettina Jordan

Apr 18, 2001, 4:20:01 PM4/18/01
No blood, thank goodness.
I cook them for an hour or so. Until the bits of meat come of. The gristle
and all. I also take all of the goopy stuff out of the center because she
has a very delicate tummy. I once gave her too much broccoli and she had
the runs for days. The vet said it was food induced colitis. I won't give
her raw bones but I will cook them less. I'm afraid of all of the bad stuff
we have to worry about with beef. I'm going to order more bones today.

Thanks,
Bettina & Cheyenne

"Rocky" <australia...@cadvision.com> wrote in message

buglady

Apr 18, 2001, 9:16:14 PM4/18/01

Bettina Jordan wrote in message ...

I only let her have them for a bit and
>then wrap it up and refrigerate it until next time. Don't ask. She never
>consumes the whole thing, it's very big and very hard. She chips off
these
>little pieces and when the bone has no more flavor it gets tossed .

......OK, since she's not eating the whole thing she must have consumed more
than usual for a couple of nights. The trouble with the really hard bones
is that they may cause tooth fractures. For recreational use I use raw beef
rib bones and supervise the whole time. They get to chew on them later in
the day after the first flush of excitement is over and then they get tossed
out as the longer they sit around out in the air the more brittle they get.

Nancy Holmes or Nelson Ruffin

Apr 19, 2001, 3:27:58 PM4/19/01
No I would not worry about it - just now you have the answer :-) and don't
let her skip her proper food in favor of the bones.
I suspect she metabolized more of the calcium at first but now is just using
the bones for exercise more than nutrition.
Nancy

Bettina Jordan <bett...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

Bettina Jordan

Apr 19, 2001, 3:51:42 PM4/19/01
I just spoke to Cheyenne's vet. He said the same thing that you did. About
the bones and the calcium and all. You folks are all so wonderful. All of
her bloodwork came back fine also. Thyroid levels are perfect with the
medications she is taking and heartworm test is fine.

This is such a great place.

Thank you,
Bettina & Cheyenne

"buglady" <bugl...@bigfootdog.com> wrote in message

oldmolly

Apr 24, 2001, 9:13:44 AM4/24/01
Cooked bones are dangerous. The poop shows how easy it is for this chalky
stuff to cause a blockage. Feed bones by all means, mine get them once a
week, but feed them raw so she can,t actually *eat* them, just gnaw on them.

--
oldmolly...@ntlworld.com
remove your teeth to reply

Bettina Jordan <bett...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

oldmolly

Apr 24, 2001, 9:22:00 AM4/24/01
there is absolutely no need to cook bones. Dogs won,t get anything bad from
eating raw bones. They can,t swallow bits and get a blockage especially if
you use big beef shin bones. The whole fun of bones is that the dog gets to
slurp the marrow out by itself. Thats what they like to do. Stop being so
paranoid and scooping out the marrow etc. Cooking the bone is treating it
like a food to be consumed, and it is supposed to be more of a boredom
buster type thing as well as good for their teeth,gums, etc.
I have had dogs for over 25 years and given raw beef bone weekly, and never
ever had a problem with them.
The raw broccoli caused the problem due to the fact that it contains a
slightly toxic chemical. see www.community.net/~petdoc/Poison1.htm
it is the oxalic acid that seems to be the problem.

--
oldmolly...@ntlworld.com
remove your teeth to reply

Jen <NOTSPAMc...@dog.com> wrote in message

J1Boss

Apr 24, 2001, 9:51:47 AM4/24/01
>From: "oldmolly" oldm...@ntlworld.com

>Cooked bones are dangerous. The poop shows how easy it is for this chalky
>stuff to cause a blockage. Feed bones by all means, mine get them once a
>week, but feed them raw so she can,t actually *eat* them, just gnaw on them.

What makes you think a dog can't EAT a raw bone? They most definitely CAN!

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"

"Second-hand dogs AREN'T second-rate"
see Lucy at: http://www.flyball.com/nsl/

Christy

Apr 24, 2001, 4:33:18 PM4/24/01

"J1Boss" <j1b...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >From: "oldmolly" oldm...@ntlworld.com
>
> >Cooked bones are dangerous. The poop shows how easy it is for this chalky
> >stuff to cause a blockage. Feed bones by all means, mine get them once a
> >week, but feed them raw so she can,t actually *eat* them, just gnaw on
them.

> What makes you think a dog can't EAT a raw bone? They most definitely
CAN!

Depends on the kind of bone. Non-weight bearing bones like the ones found in
chicken wings, necks etc. can be eaten. The big marrow bones (soup or
"dinosaur" bones) can't really be eaten, though bits can be knawed off -
those kind are recreational rather than nutritional. Some are kind of in
between - when I feed beef necks I have to monitor them closely as some of
the neck bone can be eaten but if the chunk gets small enough to get
swallowed whole it is a choking hazard.

Christy

Arcy

Apr 24, 2001, 11:03:08 PM4/24/01
Old Molly,

I'm wondering why you use the comma instead of the apostrophe? Instead
of can't you write can,t or don,t....... the apostrophe is located two
keys to the right of the L on the keyboard.

Arcy

J1Boss

Apr 25, 2001, 4:47:24 PM4/25/01
I wrote:
>> What makes you think a dog can't EAT a raw bone? They most definitely
>CAN!

And Christy answered:

>Depends on the kind of bone. Non-weight bearing bones like the ones found in
>chicken wings, necks etc. can be eaten. The big marrow bones (soup or
>"dinosaur" bones) can't really be eaten, though bits can be knawed off -

Well, if they're knawed off and swallowed - that's EATEN in my book! Not
swallowed whole, not totally consumed in short fashion, but definitely eaten!

>those kind are recreational rather than nutritional.

I think the original post was about cooked bones. The level of edibility for
the same shape/type of bone, whether fresh or cooked, is realtively the same.

bosh...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2015, 8:02:40 PM10/3/15
I just noticed that our lab has been dropping chalky poop also. After reading these boards it all makes sense. We butchered cattle 3 days ago and she's been helping herself to some of the left overs. I'll have to start holding back on some of the bones. I enjoy these boards where so much information is shared, Thank you,

kashm...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2016, 1:21:36 PM6/7/16
Thank you all who committed especially the veterinarians I want to become one when i get older#I'm 10 and is so inspired)Also my dog/Rottweiler had the chalk poop problem and he's only 2years old and you helped me solve the problem:-)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

than...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2016, 2:46:31 AM9/26/16
Never feed rawhide so bad for your doggie and they cut gums and inside of mouth , bones all the way !!!!

ali...@aol.com

Sep 29, 2016, 1:33:17 AM9/29/16
On Tuesday, April 17, 2001 at 9:21:35 PM UTC-4, Bettina Jordan wrote:
> Well that just what it looks like. For about three days now whenever my lab
> goes it comes out so dry it just crumbles when it hits the ground. The only
> thing that has been different is she got her parvo shot Saturday. Two vials
> of blood taken and her thyroid pill is from a different company. Does
> anyone have any ideas? It looks yellow and is very dry like chalk. I called
> the vet and he said he didn't think it was anything. My regular vet is not
> in until Thursday. Any ideas?
>
> Bettina & Cheye
I just wanted to give some updated info here. NEVER feed cooked bones. Raw bones are OK. Hard chalky poo is definitely a sign of too much bone. Poo should be brown, formed and moist and hold it's shape when it hits the ground.

craftyg...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2018, 11:09:30 PM10/22/18
After reading what causes the yellow dry poop my dog has only had one big bone from pet store it was vac packed but did look dry but felt oily and that was three days ago. Everything else has been the same. I feel bad there isn't a bone or toy that last over night. I guess I'll check it tomorrow if no change take him to the vet. Thank you Jewels

cshenk

Oct 25, 2018, 8:12:45 PM10/25/18
Hi Jewels, I have no previous questions from you to go on but you may
want to try nylabone types of bones and see if that works. Some dogs
with very strong jaws, will 'eat' the bone too fast and have that
effect.

rshiel...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2019, 11:47:23 AM11/20/19
Thank you! My little dog enjoyed a beef rib bone yesterday and pale yellow poop was the result. This also jives with friends and Google. 😊