SKUNK ATTACK!!!!! Need Help <peeyew!>

Cathy & Oliver Kneip

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

KREBAUM'S FORMULA

1 qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide(from pharmacy)
1/4 Cup baking soda
1 tsp. of liquid soap
Follow with a thorough tap water rinse

--
Cathy Kneip; Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada <okn...@uniserve.com>

The home of Reno and Dreamer (Debern's Show N' Tell Dream) my Aussies
Smokey the old grey tabby (12 yrs) who don't like being herded...
A large collection of Birds, including Oscar the Hahn's Macaw.
As well as Kevin, my son, and Oliver my SO.

critter

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

We have a Great Dane that has repeatedly gotten sprayed by skunks. After
running out of tomato juice (the traditional deskunker) we used Massengil
douche powder dissolved in water, which we had heard worked for this
situation. We found that it worked better and was also cheaper than large
quantities of T. juice.

Mowgli <Mowgli@swinginthruthajunglew/outa.gov> wrote in article
<32f0b3a7...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...

Katie with an E

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

In addition to the other remedies...I've been told that since the skunk
"cologne" is oily, something that cuts grease (like Dawn dish soap) is
also effective.

J.

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Mowgli@swinginthruthajunglew/outa.gov (Mowgli) wrote:

>If anyone knows of a remedy that will kill that smell, please, please, pretty
>please post.

I have heard that the old tomato juice remedy will help (be sure not
to get in the eyes of course). Luckily, living downtown we don't run
into many skunks on our travels.

Good luck,

J. :)

Nancy E. Holmes

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

In <5cebgh$j...@mtinsc05.worldnet.att.net> Katie with an E
A lot of people seem to believe that dish soap is ok to use on dogs -
my understanding is that it is toxic and should not be used on dogs
even in dilution. Commercial dog shampoos also cut grease nicely and
remove oily buildup from dog fur without the toxicity of the heavy duty
detergent (vs soap) that is in the stuff for doing dishes. The
onlynon-dog commercial cleaner that I would consider using on a dog is
murphy's oil soap as it is a soap not a detergent.
Nancy

Scott & Katie MacKenzie

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Mowgli wrote:

> My girlfriend's dog tried repeatedly to play with a skunk, even after being
> sprayed in the face. DUH!
> Now she has a _smelly_ dog, even after washing him with diluted tomato paste.
> Esp. stinky when wet!
> She heard that washing the dog in vinegar helps and is going to try that
> tomorrow.
> If anyone knows of a remedy that will kill that smell, please, please, pretty
> please post.

I heard that vanilla work very well; although it would be rather
expensive if it was a big dog.

Michele C. Petitt

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

My GSD goosed a skunk the day after Christmas. We found a differnet
remedy surfing the net and tried it out. It really helped!

First, we used dog shampoo and bathed her twice.

Then we used this concoction:
one quart hydrogen peroxide
quarter cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid (we used DAWN).

Rub in thoroughly & rinse off with water.

We noticed a big change in smell right away. If you put your face in
her fur, of course she still smelled a bit (but bearable!!!). But you
couldn't notice anthing from a foot or so away.

Good luck.

Deb Storch

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

There is a degreasing shampoo for dogs, called D'grease, made by Pure Pet.

The stuff is extremely gentle to the dogs' skin (and even to the bathers'
skin..just use handlotion afterward (bather) and you'll be all set), and
can even be used to get grease out of clothing, etc. It doesn't have an
offensive smell, or anything.

I'm just a satisfied user of a couple of years(BTW, I think this can be
used on kittycats, too)!

Deb
--

/-----------------------------------+---------------------------------------\
| Deb Storch | |

Jim Duran

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

I've had good luck with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and
liquid soap (I use a hand-soap like Dial). The mixture I use I got from
an article a long time ago. Here's the recipe:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tbsp liquid soap (NOT dish-soap)

Mix ingredients and apply to dogs coat, lather and rinse well. Note that
this mixture does not have a good shelf life, so it's best to mix it when
you need it.

I've got two lab mixes who just don't know when to stop when a skunk sprays
them. This seems to work the best for us.

Hope it helps.

--
Jim Duran

Mr R Chew

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:22:28 GMT, de...@klinzai.storch.com (Deb Storch)
wrote:

>There is a degreasing shampoo for dogs, called D'grease, made by Pure Pet.
>
>The stuff is extremely gentle to the dogs' skin (and even to the bathers'
>skin..just use handlotion afterward (bather) and you'll be all set), and
>can even be used to get grease out of clothing, etc. It doesn't have an
>offensive smell, or anything.
>
>I'm just a satisfied user of a couple of years(BTW, I think this can be
>used on kittycats, too)!

Thank god we do not have skunks in the UK the four legged variety
anyway , we have some two legged ones ' one by the name of John
Major:)) .

Brian Bennett

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

In article <32f0b3a7...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>,

Mowgli@swinginthruthajunglew/outa.gov (Mowgli) wrote:
>My girlfriend's dog tried repeatedly to play with a skunk, even after being
>sprayed in the face. DUH!
>Now she has a _smelly_ dog, even after washing him with diluted tomato paste.
>Esp. stinky when wet!
>She heard that washing the dog in vinegar helps and is going to try that
>tomorrow.
>If anyone knows of a remedy that will kill that smell, please, please, pretty
>please post.
>
>I thank you.
>Beth thanks you and
>All of our friends thank you
>
>Mowgli
Elvis got sprayed twice last summer. We had the best luck with the tomato
paste bath, followed by the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap treatment. The
peroxide concoction helped to rinse out the tomato paste in addition to
getting tid of the skunk smell. Just br careful not to get it into their
eyes.

Brian B.

Lewis Strassberg

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

I saved this a while ago, hope it helps.

From: nri...@orion.it.luc.edu (Natalie Rigertas)
Subject: Skunk scent remover
Date: 10 Apr 1996 13:23:15 GMT

This is a proven remedy for removing skunk scent from your pets,
yourself, anything that got skunked. Developed by Paul Krebaum, it is
not shelf stable, so you have to mix it when you get skunked, but the
products you can get from your grocery store and keep handy.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda

1 tsp liquid soap

the soap breaks up the oils, and the H2O2 and baking soda get rid of
the odor. Someone (this I got from the Chicago Tribune, I don't know
which day/year, we use this where I work to get skunk scent off of our
hands after working with a skunk) tested this, he found a freshly
killed skunk on the road, took it home, mixed up the brew in a bucket
and dumped the skunk in. He was surprised, but all the skunk scent
disappeared. Hopefully this can help those who get skunked

natalie

--
la...@pipeline.com

Lewis Strassberg

Brian Bennett <gof...@dreamscape.com> wrote in article
<5co3b1$ae4...@sf10.dreamscape.com>...

Ohmalee

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

cheapest solution is white vinegar. can buy in gallons CHEAP and it
works....lee ohm...@AOL.com

Sheri Lifesaver

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

I heard somewhere that washing the dog in tomato juice works.
I don't remember why. Sorry if someone already posted that
remedy. I just stumbled onto this group.

Sheri

Gregory J. Bilhartz

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Been there, done that. Tomato juice works! Actually I had to use thinned
out tomato paste, but that works too. I now keep a couple of juice cans on
the shelf--just in case. It's not a 100% solution, but I found it got 99+
percent. He was at least allowed back into the house. His collar was
unsalvageable!
--
Regards,
Greg

Sheri Lifesaver <slwa...@bnr.ca> wrote in article
<32F791...@bnr.ca>...

Kim Lachance

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Recomended Highly is a product called SKUNK KLEEN

aerosol pump neutralizes odors and is non toxic and safe.

Available in most Large Pet Centers or ask your vet.

Really Works!

Elaine Gallegos

IRSAXLES

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Tomato Juice cuts some of the odor - LOL

Gary Wood

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Tomato Juice is the best! Having survived more than one attack with two
dogs involved in each. I'm thankful for Tomato Juice and keep two
gallons in the house at all times.

Roxana Lopez

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

I saved this deskunking recipe from Mother Earth News:

1 Qt. hydrogen peroxide 3%
1/2 cup baking soda
1 Tablespoon liquid soap

Dissolve baking soda in peroxide, add soap and mix well. Put in spray
bottle, and spray dog liberally. Rub in, wait 15 minutes, rinse with plain
tap water.

Can also be used on 2 legged critters and car upholstery.

The article said it should be mixed fresh and not stored.
Good luck,
Roxana

Bu...@megalink.net

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Massingill douche powder (available in the supermarket). A friend whose dog
never learned used to keep packets always available.

Andrew G. Smith

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Bu...@megalink.net wrote:

> Massingill douche powder (available in the supermarket). A friend whose dog
> never learned used to keep packets always available.

I don't know much about douches........ but I know tomato juice works.
PERSONALLY!

ugh!
A.

Tburr682

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

My dogs were sprayed a couple of weeks ago. We tried a remedy from this
newsgroup which seemed to work fairly well:

1/4 cup baking soda
1 quart hydrogen peroxide (3%)
2 tbsp liquid soap

Mix well.

Wash dog with pet shampoo, rinse then apply de-skunker.

Good luck,

tabu...@aol.com

Tombirdie

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

Very good deskunker. Article in Chicago Tribune. Only difference is less
liquid soap.

Skunk Deoderizer

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 C baking soda
1t liquid soap (breaks up the oils in the skunk spray)

Rinse off the pet with tap water.

This formula oxidizes the thiols in the skunk oder.