Largest Rottweiler

Al Hetzel

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
What is the largest Rott that anyone has seen?

I have a very large Rott myself (180 pounds at age 2). Just wondering
if there are any out there that are larger.

Al
alhe...@bigfoot.com

Aphy

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
A friend of ours had a Rotti that was 200 lbs, his chest was broader
than Barry's and Barry worked out. I couldn't believe the size of him.
I just pray my girl doesn't get that big or she'll be moving us out of
our home HEH.

~ Aphy ~

Elizabeth

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

I love these type threads. Most of us know that bigger is seldom
better and often the cause of a multitude of problems. However,
regarding size along, I learned from 40 + years in Danes that not one
in 100 know their dog's correct weight and almost all will tell you
much more. I think I mentioned before when we asked those at an all
giant breed show to write down the height and weight of their dog. I
think it was 72% exaggerated - and by a lot! And giant breed owners
have oft been stopped by the fella who demands "Is that there a
miniature Dane? My brother in law has one this size" - while waving
his hand in the area of his shoulder. Well where can I see this dog ?
"Oh he had to give him away." Funny how one can never ever see these
dogs. I would say a Rott at 200 lbs is enormous and thinking on a
certain giant breed dog who is very popular right now at 247 lbs I
believe, I tend to think this Rott is hardly that size. Esp. if
purebred and not overweight. If there is such an animal I would like
to see his pic posted somewhere. Does the owner have a web page?
Liz

dka...@news.mako.com

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
As set in any Rottweiler book on the market these dogs are of the
medium-large range, height is between 22 & 27 inches, weight is from 75 to
135 pounds. Mine is at 125 pounds and my wife claims he his closer to 200.
Take your monster to your vet and get the weight straight, not only for
truth but for your dogs well being, if fat and over weight they'll need to
be exercised more then they have been. These are great dogs don't overkill
the size of them they just look bigger then they are, the same goes for
their exuberance.

mll...@dewlap.com

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
In article <36a697c9...@newshost.cyberramp.net>,

alhe...@bigfoot.com (Al Hetzel) wrote:
> What is the largest Rott that anyone has seen?
>
> I have a very large Rott myself (180 pounds at age 2). Just wondering
> if there are any out there that are larger.

I don't know about the biggest, but apparently half my neighborhood thinks I
have the world's smallest Rott...at least until I tell them he isn't a rott,
but a shiba. Sheesh, you'd think people'd know the difference since rotts
have dropped ears, a (usually) docked tail, and a big square head and my
little guy has prick ears, curly tail, and a small triangular foxlike head!

Marianne

Aphy

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Well like any species on the planet there are "freaks" of nature and
some specimens are just larger or even smaller than the norm, why is it
so hard to beleive that some Rottis are just bigger than most? I am
sure most breeders will attest to the fact that there is the odd dog
that they have welped who has not conformed to the exact specifications
of a breed standard. I for one would not want one that big, and I hope
that my Reiki will not be that big but in this case that is what my
friend Barry got, a HUGE Rotti that was nothing but a teddy bear :).

Sudhir B Nayak

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

If it is a lean 180lbs then it would be the biggest I have ever seen that
was in shape. There are plenty of Labs that are 100lbs or more too but
they are usually fat. I have a 75lb male Lab that most people think
is tiny. He thinks he is tiny too.

Al Hetzel (alhe...@bigfoot.com) wrote:
: What is the largest Rott that anyone has seen?

: I have a very large Rott myself (180 pounds at age 2). Just wondering
: if there are any out there that are larger.

: Al
: alhe...@bigfoot.com

Susan Umpleby

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Aphy wrote in message <36A77874...@home.com>...

>Well like any species on the planet there are "freaks" of nature and
>some specimens are just larger or even smaller than the norm, why is
it
>so hard to beleive that some Rottis are just bigger than most? I am
>sure most breeders will attest to the fact that there is the odd dog
>that they have welped who has not conformed to the exact
specifications
>of a breed standard. I for one would not want one that big, and I
hope
>that my Reiki will not be that big but in this case that is what my
>friend Barry got, a HUGE Rotti that was nothing but a teddy bear :).

---------Well, I can certainly believe it. In my area (S. CA), at
least, humongous Rottweilers have become the norm. People in the U.S.
love to breed elephants. I have heard people looking at Rottweilers
of normal size (to standard) call them "puny" and "small"!

Aphy

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Exactly, and from what I have seen demonstrated with the Fila and other
breeds for that matter it is possible to make the breed bigger, and not
everyone is so concerned with show quality dogs. And I am not saying I
condone this practice either, for the reason that the dog's system may
not be equipped to handle such bulk ie: I have heard of Danes being so
big that their hearts just gave out on them because the heart hadn't
grown with the dog. But each to his own, personally I love the breed big
or little they are all the same in my heart :)

Al Hetzel

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
I can say that I am the one in 100. Because he is so big, I am very
concerned that it was just fat so I have him weighed every few months
at the vet. BTW, the vet says he is about 5 - 10 pounds overweight
and not much more. Since my dog is still growing (every trip to the
vet shows that), he may well get to over 200 lbs.

Oh, and if you live in the Dallas area, you are more than welcome to
come by. He loves visitors.

Al

Al Hetzel

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
That is a good point and I worried quite a bit about my dog. The
breeder (a family friend) assures me that both of his parents were
with the average sizes. She was not breeding them for size.

Al Hetzel

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
I am not going to say that he is lean but he is not fat either. There
is nothing worst than a dog sausage. The vet has put him at 5 - 10
pounds overweight.

On 21 Jan 1999 19:50:01 GMT, sna...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu (Sudhir B

Canadian

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

Al Hetzel wrote:

> I can say that I am the one in 100. Because he is so big, I am very
> concerned that it was just fat so I have him weighed every few months
> at the vet. BTW, the vet says he is about 5 - 10 pounds overweight
> and not much more. Since my dog is still growing (every trip to the
> vet shows that), he may well get to over 200 lbs.
>
> Oh, and if you live in the Dallas area, you are more than welcome to
> come by. He loves visitors.

If your dog is still growing, then why is he 5-10lbs overweight? How old
is your dog? Like other people said it is most of the time extra fat that
these people think makes their dog "huge". But really the dog could stand
to lose 20-3-lbs. A friend of mine thinks his shepherdx is "huge" but the
dog is like 30lbs overweight, the dogs a fat butterball. These type of
people need to realize that more weight means more health problems in the
long run for the dog. I have fila's and I keep my dogs a little leaner
(not thin). When you have a dog that is well muscled and that large then
you can say your dog is "huge" but most Rotti's (no offense to anyone) I
see are overweight. Just like the labs because they seem to be prone to
obesity. It is up to the owner to realize the "optimum" weight for their
dog and keep them at it.
Just my 2 cents worth or maybe 3.
Canadian

Al Hetzel

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

My dog will be two next month. The 5-10 lbs overweight, I am
repeating what the vet told me. To me, he is not overweight at all.
When I pet him, I can easily feel his ribs. He has plenty of energy
and practically never gets tired of playing. I would not associate
that with a grossly overweight dog. According to the Rottweiler FAQ,
male Rotts are suppose to be between 95 and 135 pounds. My dog passed
that before his first birthday. He will never be that small again
unless I amputate something (which I have no intention of doing).

Twzl, Sligo and Roy Happy Together

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

>that with a grossly overweight dog. According to the Rottweiler FAQ,
>male Rotts are suppose to be between 95 and 135 pounds. My dog passed
>that before his first birthday. He will never be that small again
>unless I amputate something (which I have no intention of doing).

Do you have a website? I'm sure we'd all like to see this huge but not fat
Rottie.

FWIW one of the most obese dogs I have ever seen was a 135 pound Golden.
His owner didn't think he was at all fat.

Ann, Twzl, Sligo and Roy
" But I forget you are from New York, right. Not an area of Menses candidates."
Carole Ernst, talking about me...

Twzl, Sligo and Roy Happy Together

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
In <36a7cd3...@newshost.cyberramp.net> alhe...@bigfoot.com (Al Hetzel) writes:

>I don't have a website, but I will see what I can do about scanning
>some pictures in. Would you like my vet's phone number also or would
>you actually believe a photograph?

No, I'll believe a photograph. Thanks!

Mike

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Max is a mastiff and stands about 34" and weighs 190.

Elizabeth wrote in message <36a7f46...@news.earthlink.net>...
>On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:06:26 GMT, alhe...@bigfoot.com (Al Hetzel)
>wrote:
>
>>He is 31 inches tall at the shoulder. I am sure about his pedigree.
>>Straight Rotts back 5 generations. Beyond that, I have no idea.
>>
>31 ins is pretty small to be wieghing 200 lbs. I had a really stocky
>Harle Dane who was 33 ins and weighed approx 160 lbs his entire life.
>My really tall Danes weighed about 160 to 180 lbs in decent weight.
>And I am talking of about 35 to 37 in dogs.
>Liz

Elizabeth

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:33:26 GMT, alhe...@bigfoot.com (Al Hetzel)
wrote:

>My dog will be two next month. The 5-10 lbs overweight, I am
>repeating what the vet told me. To me, he is not overweight at all.
>When I pet him, I can easily feel his ribs. He has plenty of energy
>and practically never gets tired of playing. I would not associate

>that with a grossly overweight dog. According to the Rottweiler FAQ,
>male Rotts are suppose to be between 95 and 135 pounds. My dog passed
>that before his first birthday. He will never be that small again
>unless I amputate something (which I have no intention of doing).

Your dog at two will not grow any larger than he is now. Giant breeds,
and by that I mean dogs such as Danes and Mastiffs etc. also pretty
much have finished their growth by that age. They might fill out a
little, but not very much after two. How tall is your dog exactly? One
dog I know who is extremely large is 248 and 35 in tall. This is a
very big dog. I cannot even imagine a Rott that large. Are you sure he
is purebred and not mixed with a giant breed?
Liz

Al Hetzel

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

On 21 Jan 1999 19:28:54 -0500, alg...@panix.com (Twzl, Sligo and Roy
Happy Together) wrote:

>Do you have a website? I'm sure we'd all like to see this huge but not fat
>Rottie.
>
>FWIW one of the most obese dogs I have ever seen was a 135 pound Golden.
>His owner didn't think he was at all fat.

Al Hetzel

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
He is 31 inches tall at the shoulder. I am sure about his pedigree.
Straight Rotts back 5 generations. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Elizabeth

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
wrote:

>He is 31 inches tall at the shoulder. I am sure about his pedigree.

>Straight Rotts back 5 generations. Beyond that, I have no idea.

MST3KGUY

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
my newf is full grown, and is probably 28 inches and has consistently been
between 178 and 186 pounds the past three years (he's six). this is from
weights taken at the vet's office. she also advises he is not overweight. i
admit that when i first got him i was hoping he'd be a big newf, and he
definitely is. i wouldn't wish this on any dog, tho. his hips are great, but
his front legs are suffering (he's on glycoflex and rimadyl, i've added in
glucosamine out of blind hope). it also certainly reduces their lifespan. do
yourselves a favor, don't shoot for the biggest of the big breeds. it ain't
doing them any good...

Sudhir B Nayak

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

Even at 170lbs he would still be the biggest lean one I have ever seen.
The previous one was about 155lbs at a French Ring trial. He was
overmuscled and did not move well in my opnion. I'm pretty sure his name
was Ivan.

Dont get me wrong there is a 180+lb Rottie from Kimbertal who lives down
the street.....they do exist. BUT the dog has severe hip and joint problems.

I thought out pup was going to be a giant too because he was 65lbs before
he turned 6 months old even after being on adult food. Then he stopped
growing and is about 75lbs now. Possibly 80lbs in the summer (he is less
active because he cant stand the heat) but thats
as big as he gets. He weighs less now than he did at 8 months of age
after shedding his baby fat. If I am not mistaken the highest he reached
was 85lbs at 8 months.

The whole time he ate very little (less than 3 cups of adult a day).
Sometimes he would only eat 2 cups. BUT he grew and grew anyway. Now he
get 5-7 cups a day depending on his activity level to maintain what I
consider a healthy w. I did have his
thyroid horomne levels checked because I an an over protective parent
and they were the center of the normal range. The conclusion was that
he is just really active. I am
probably the only Lab owner the vet has told to feed his dog more!!!!!

Al Hetzel (alhe...@bigfoot.com) wrote:
: I am not going to say that he is lean but he is not fat either. There

: is nothing worst than a dog sausage. The vet has put him at 5 - 10
: pounds overweight.

: On 21 Jan 1999 19:50:01 GMT, sna...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu (Sudhir B

Al Hetzel

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
I doubt it is a fair comparison to compare Danes with Rotts. I have
seen several Danes and they always look so frail. I have never seen a
frail looking Rott except for one stray. At 31 ins, my dog is a good
4 inches above the Rott norm. Since size increases geometrically with
an increase in height, his being 180 (not 200) is not bad at all.

Elizabeth

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:45:22 GMT, alhe...@bigfoot.com (Al Hetzel)
wrote:

>I doubt it is a fair comparison to compare Danes with Rotts. I have

Sorry Al - my mistake I was thinking it was your dog which was a
200lb. However, even at 180 you should carefully consider whether or
not (honestly) he is overweight. Rotts have tremendous CHD problems
and weight will only add to it. I presume also that since he is
oversized and not suitable for showing or breeding, that he is also
neutered. This "might" also add a little to his weight.
And you are correct about Danes. I also see very frail looking ones.
In Danes "elegance" and striving for more height, often gives way to
dogs that I doubt could bring down a rabbit let alone a wild boar.
Personally I like chunky type dogs and in one line of Danes which I
had for many years, even the bitches were all doggy and solid looking
- and I personally like that. I was seldom really happy with the way
my extra tall dogs matured. For me I'd rather shorter and stockier.
Liz

Mike

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Sorry for jumping in here but in an early post you mention that you "have to
bow to your vets estimate" as to weight, then you say you have him weighed
every two months. How is your vet 'estimating" his weight?

Thanks

Al Hetzel wrote in message <36a9186...@newshost.cyberramp.net>...
>Believe it. I have him weighed every two months or so. And although
>I said 2, he will actually be 2 next month. I can OFA him then. He
>is a pet so I have never shown him. Even if he was normal sized, he
>has too much white on his right shoulder to show. He would be
>disqualified on either count. I exercise him daily though.
>
>As to his pedigree, both his parents are OFA certified although only 1
>of his grandparents is.

>On 23 Jan 1999 00:06:14 GMT, boxer...@aol.com (BoxerAlley) wrote:
>
>>>I have a very large Rott myself (180 pounds at age 2).
>>

>>I have a very hard time believing that you have a 180 lb rottweiler. Has
he
>>been OFA'd yet and if so, what were the readings?
>>
>>I would think that a Rottweiler would have blown hips and elbows at this
>>weight. What is his pedigree like? Are you showing him or working him in
any
>>way?

Susan Umpleby

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

Manadero wrote in message
<19990122233126...@ng128.aol.com>...

>>Even if he was normal sized, he
>>has too much white on his right shoulder to show.
>
>Ummm, pardon me.... but "too much white on his shoulder?"
>
>You do know that purebred Rottis don't have white markings?

---------Actually, they can have white markings, as per the breed
standard: "A small spot of white on chest and belly is permissible
but not desirable." It is not common, so you might never have seen
one. I have seen three with white on their chests, one of which had
quite a large splotch of it (about 4 inches in diameter).

BoxerAlley

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

Al Hetzel

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
I have to bow to my vets estimate on weight as I mentioned before.
You are correct about the showing. He is way out of range for that.
As to the breeding, I will have to wait and see. I said he was two,
but that is actually rounding. He will be two next month. If he
passes his OFA certificate, I might consider the possibility of
breeding him if the vet thinks it would be ok. If not, or if he
doesn't pass, I definitely plan on having him neutered. Or, I will
probably have him neutered anyway. I got him for a pet not for
anything else.

Al Hetzel

Al Hetzel

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
I am working on it. I have neither camera nor scanner so I will have
to borrow both.

On 23 Jan 1999 00:45:53 GMT, tit...@io.com (Cindy Tittle Moore) wrote:

>Do we get a picture? I would like to see a picture...
>
>--Cindy
>--
> *** tit...@io.com *** http://www.k9web.com/tittle.html ***
> WAGGERY U-CD Terrell's Chocolate Deduction CGC CDX--Hershe LABRADORS
> ------- Delby's Wood Nymph at Waggery JH WC CGC--Angel ---------
> *** Southern California Lab Rescue: http://www.geocities.com/~sclrr/ ***

Elizabeth

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 00:40:23 GMT, alhe...@bigfoot.com (Al Hetzel)
wrote:

>Believe it. I have him weighed every two months or so. And although

>I said 2, he will actually be 2 next month. I can OFA him then. He
>is a pet so I have never shown him. Even if he was normal sized, he
>has too much white on his right shoulder to show. He would be
>disqualified on either count. I exercise him daily though.
>
>As to his pedigree, both his parents are OFA certified although only 1
>of his grandparents is.

Al! Al! Al! This changes a lot of things. Not being into Rotts I
thought that they never had white. I have never seen any on even the
worst bred ones. Was this a backyard type bred dog or from someone who
really is well known in the breed and shows and or works their dogs?
Are you serious when you say he has "too much white on his shoulder"
or are you making a joke? If you are serious then are you also serious
about considering breeding him if the vet says its ok? Who cares what
the Vet says. He is liable to make money out of the whole thing. What
about quality? Breeding to the standard?
And are you really sure he is purebred???
I am shocked at this point that you are even considering breeding him
and please dont come back with " Several people want to breed to him"
and "Several people want puppies from him"
They are never around when the time comes.
I better go and eat my fish and chips before I get too mad to eat
anything.
Liz

Al Hetzel

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

According to the book 'The Rottweiler' by Richard F. Stratton under
the section for color it says, "A small spot of white on chest and
belly is permissible but not desired". Since the spot of white has to
be on the chest or belly, I figured if the spot was just off of his
chest and over his shoulder he would be disqualified. Admittedly, for
me a spot is about 7 or 8 strands of hair together which are not
visible outside of two feet. I always err on the side of caution and
I always do my homework. I would suggest that you do the same before
you make any more comments about a breed of dogs that you admit not
being into.

If I do decide to breed him, it will be for one reason. I want to
continue his progeny. I know I will live longer than he does so I
want to keep something from him. I know I could just get another Rott
but if you believe it would be the same thing you are grossly
mistaken. And if I decide to breed him, I will go to a responsible
breeder rather than a vet. The vet will not make or lose any money
regardless of my decision so he will be impartial.

All in all, your opinion is pretty much irrelevant. Since you have no
real knowledge of Rottweilers and seem more interested in forcing your
own warped views on the world in general, you can be completely
discounted. And in my opinion, you are.

I have gotten what I wanted out of this post. I now know that
although 180 is very, very large, there are some larger. With that
knowledge, I will fade back into obscurity. With people like you in
this newsgroup, I really don't want to be here. And since I know I am
not an expert and have no desire to force my opinions on others, I
have no reason to be here.

Manadero

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
>Even if he was normal sized, he
>has too much white on his right shoulder to show.

Ummm, pardon me.... but "too much white on his shoulder?"

You do know that purebred Rottis don't have white markings?

How were his parents and sibling marked?
Did your breeder have other breeds - If so, do you know that a litter can have
*several* different fathers? And that they can register just about *anything*
with AKC as no proof (pictures, etc. are neccessary?)

This might explain both the great size and the dog being a color that Rottis
don't come in.

Just my .02 worth.

Robin

Aphy

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Well this whole this is making me mad Elizabeth... People like you
really piss me off, you admitted you don't know much about the breed and
you have never seen one with white, even the badly bred ones well you
know what there were something like 95,000 Rottis registered last year
ALONE with the AKC and maybe a equal amoutn with the CKC, and being
ANIMALS I am sure one or two had a white marking here and there, it even
says in the standard that any dog with a little white is not show
quality but it never said that it wasn't possible. Ever breed has
anomalies and to think otherwise is sheer ignorance, all this is nothing
new I think I learned about genetics and evolution in grade school. As
for him breeding it is really HIS business and not the rest of us, God I
am sick and tired of people telling you what to do with your dog. You
know I just rescued two pups from a backyard breeder and I have seen
first hand how bad it can be but they do have a prerogative to Breed
their dogs whether it is beneficial to the rest of dogdom or not. As
for my pup she is the sweetest little thing in the world and no she
wasn't a purebred Rotti but she sure looks like it but that is a
different story. Bottom line is he has a LARGER than AVERAGE Rotti and
IF he wants to use him for stud then he has every right to it I just
hope if he does he draws up a contract that restricts further breeding.
Otherwise gently advising him is about all you can do.

~ Aphy ~

Elizabeth wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 00:40:23 GMT, alhe...@bigfoot.com (Al Hetzel)
> wrote:
>
> >Believe it. I have him weighed every two months or so. And although
> >I said 2, he will actually be 2 next month. I can OFA him then. He
> >is a pet so I have never shown him. Even if he was normal sized, he
> >has too much white on his right shoulder to show. He would be
> >disqualified on either count. I exercise him daily though.
> >
> >As to his pedigree, both his parents are OFA certified although only 1
> >of his grandparents is.

Elizabeth

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:49:11 GMT, Aphy <ap...@home.com> wrote:

>Well this whole this is making me mad Elizabeth... People like you
>really piss me off, you admitted you don't know much about the breed and
>you have never seen one with white, even the badly bred ones well you
>know what there were something like 95,000 Rottis registered last year
>ALONE with the AKC and maybe a equal amoutn with the CKC, and being
>ANIMALS I am sure one or two had a white marking here and there, it even
>says in the standard that any dog with a little white is not show
>quality but it never said that it wasn't possible. Ever breed has
>anomalies and to think otherwise is sheer ignorance, all this is nothing
>new I think I learned about genetics and evolution in grade school. As
>for him breeding it is really HIS business and not the rest of us, God I
>am sick and tired of people telling you what to do with your dog. You
>know I just rescued two pups from a backyard breeder and I have seen
>first hand how bad it can be but they do have a prerogative to Breed
>their dogs whether it is beneficial to the rest of dogdom or not. As
>for my pup she is the sweetest little thing in the world and no she
>wasn't a purebred Rotti but she sure looks like it but that is a
>different story. Bottom line is he has a LARGER than AVERAGE Rotti and
>IF he wants to use him for stud then he has every right to it I just
>hope if he does he draws up a contract that restricts further breeding.
>Otherwise gently advising him is about all you can do.
>
> ~ Aphy ~

Well Aphi sorry to have pissed you off, but this is a discussion
group, and discuss it we will whether you like it or not. If as you
say there were 95,000 Rotts registered last year, then I for one think
that is too many. And hopefully within this group we can bring that
number down. I also think that Al's dog's breeder should have had a
contract about not breeding and maybe should have done a neuter on him
before the pup went to his new home if he has white on the shoulder.
Now it has been a long time since I studied genetics but I think that
a shoulder patch would be different from a small chest patch which
many breeds are seen to have in their solid colours and also I believe
it is linked to a pinto-like gene in horses. Maybe Akitas also have
that gene. You seem to know about genetics so maybe you can tell me
about that gene and if not I am sure there are those who will know
here. However, it is hoped that by our discussing things like this the
new to dogs/breeding person may take stock and not rush into things.
As a person in rescue I have not seen you take time here to educate
those who might otherwise have rushed into "breeding little Fluffy"and
as for it being none of our business - well when the rest of us pick
up the pieces the least we can do is try.
Liz

Aphy

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Did you not read his post? He said he had a spot on his shoulder. He
didn't say the rest of the dog was something other than a rotti's normal
coloration.

Manadero wrote:

> >Even if he was normal sized, he
> >has too much white on his right shoulder to show.

MST3KGUY

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
>Sorry for jumping in here but in an early post you mention that you "have to
>bow to your vets estimate" as to weight, then you say you have him weighed
>every two months. How is your vet 'estimating" his weight?

mike,

i'm glad someone else caught that since i missed it. since when didn't vets
have scales that dogs could step on?

Elizabeth

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
On 23 Jan 1999 16:17:18 GMT, mst3...@aol.com (MST3KGUY) wrote:

>mike,
>
>i'm glad someone else caught that since i missed it. since when didn't vets
>have scales that dogs could step on?

Actually my old Vet had a large scale just inside the front door. It
looked just like the top a a grooming table and was large enough for
any breed an apparently pretty accurate. It also was only about 6
inches off the floor and did not move, so dogs were never afraid to
stand on it. East patient was asked to always weigh their dogs upon
entering and I believe the result showed up somewhere in the office.
Liz

Mike

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
The same here. .. my vet has the same type of floor level scale that we take
Max to be weighed on. As I mentioned in an earlier post Max weighs 190 (on
this vets scale anyway) so there are scales out there that can weigh a 180
lb.. rottie

Carroll

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

Aphy wrote in message <36A968C4...@home.com>...

>Did you not read his post? He said he had a spot on his shoulder. He
>didn't say the rest of the dog was something other than a rotti's normal
>coloration.

I'm cunfused...but this really does *not* sound like a purebred Rottie!

Here are quotes from several solid-colored-breed standards:

"White spot on breast, toes and belly permissable...Solid and self-colored
dogs are preferred." (AKC--Chesapeake Bay Retriever)
"...and a prominent white patch on breast is undesirable..." (Curly Coated
Retriever).

And now for a few that are COLORED like the Rottweiler...

"A small amount of white on the chest and/or throat is allowed, white in any
other location shall disqualify." (Cocker Spaniel-black variety)

"White ffeet on a solid are undesirable; a little white on the throat is
acceptable; but in neither case do these white markings make the dog a
parti-color." (English Cocker)

"White patch on chest, not exceeding 1/2 square inch, permissable."
(Doberman)

This tells me that in solid colors, the genetic makeup can cause white
markings on the feet, chest, stomach, throat (and from a few standards not
quoted, lips & chin). As dogs age their coat becomes white in certain
areas.

However, I have never seen a standard that mentions white markings confined
to the *shoulder*. It seems to be a genetic impossibility in pure-bred
self-colored dogs (I'm limiting this to breeds that come in ONLY solid
colors, such as Labs, Rotts, Dobes, etc.) This assumption (correct me if
I'm wrong) would also tell me that a dog with white other then those given
markings is *probably* a particolor. But Rotts come in black and tan.
That's it. Not particolor.

So from these assumptions, I gather that said rott is probably not pure
rott, even though it may be 2 or 3 generations Rottweiler, somewhere in
recent past, the dog must have a sire or dam that is not a Rottweiler.

Please correct me if my reasoning doesn't sound correct.

Emily

CECIL MCLAURIN JR.

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Good points. At least try the ethical thing, OFA him - if he doesn't pass
it - breeding should be out of the question. Trying to better the breed
*should* be one of the objectives, as the prerequisite should be starting
with an animal free of genetic faults, and built within breed standards.

Elizabeth <eliza...@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in article
<36a93fb5...@news.earthlink.net>...

Aphy

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
The guy in question said his dog has a MINUTE spot on the shoulder but
he meant the chest but close to the shoulder ie: at the end of the brown
chest band that Rottis have. So that still means he is a purebred as
far as anyone can tell.

~ Aphy ~

CFowler326

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
I might be mistaken, but I saw a book that showed pictures of Rotts at the turn
of the century and they had white on their chests. They looked a lot like
Swissies. In fact that was the article's point. It was several years ago, can
anyone back me up?

Christy

nick teifke

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

Al Hetzel wrote:

> According to the book 'The Rottweiler' by Richard F. Stratton under
> the section for color it says, "A small spot of white on chest and
> belly is permissible but not desired". Since the spot of white has to
> be on the chest or belly, I figured if the spot was just off of his
> chest and over his shoulder he would be disqualified. Admittedly, for
> me a spot is about 7 or 8 strands of hair together which are not
> visible outside of two feet. I always err on the side of caution and
> I always do my homework. I would suggest that you do the same before
> you make any more comments about a breed of dogs that you admit not
> being into.

A small white spot is undesirable but does happen. Im thinking of a
breeder that had a puppy, from german SchH lines that had a white spot.
Excellent drives but it was hard to get rid of. It does happen, doesnt
mean it was back yard bred or poorly bred. Also rotties can get grey or
white patches when getting winter coats.

> If I do decide to breed him, it will be for one reason. I want to
> continue his progeny. I know I will live longer than he does so I
> want to keep something from him. I know I could just get another Rott
> but if you believe it would be the same thing you are grossly
> mistaken. And if I decide to breed him, I will go to a responsible
> breeder rather than a vet. The vet will not make or lose any money
> regardless of my decision so he will be impartial.

And if you do go to a responsible breeder they will ask you what titles you
have on your dog. Since you dont show the dog you have none so the chances
of finding a good bitch from good lines are slim to none. And if your
rottie weighs over 130 the chances of breeding to a good bitch diminish
even more, regardless of what your vet says. My advice is neuter your dog
and enjoy him for what he is, a pet. There are enough rotties in this
world the way it is. To breed your dog to continue "his progeny" is the
biggest line of crap. Sorry to be blunt.

> All in all, your opinion is pretty much irrelevant. Since you have no
> real knowledge of Rottweilers and seem more interested in forcing your
> own warped views on the world in general, you can be completely
> discounted. And in my opinion, you are.

To me, it sounds as though you are the one lacking real knowledge of
rottweilers. Do you realize you are just as responsible for a litter as
the bitch owner is? Are you prepared to take any unwanted, mistreated
puppies? Have your dogs eyes and elbows been checked? Are you able to
prove your dogs *working ability* ?

> I have gotten what I wanted out of this post. I now know that
> although 180 is very, very large, there are some larger. With that
> knowledge, I will fade back into obscurity. With people like you in
> this newsgroup, I really don't want to be here. And since I know I am
> not an expert and have no desire to force my opinions on others, I
> have no reason to be here.

Thats all they are is opinions, take them or leave them.

Nick
nte...@dog.com

Manadero

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Susan writes:

>---------Actually, they can have white markings, as per the breed
>standard: "A small spot of white on chest and belly is permissible
>but not desirable." It is not common, so you might never have seen
>one.

I stand corrected. :) Most of the Rottis I see are in the conformation
ring.... and you're right, I certainly have *never* seen one with white on it.

Robin

Todd E Gaster

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Rottweilers are supposed to be medium to large dogs. Not large to extra
large. This is not something to brag about. This leads to all of the
genetic abnormalities rotties have. A large male shoud tip the scale at
135lbs. Not 180lbs.

Todd
Vom Gaster Rottweilers
t.e.g...@gte.net

Al Hetzel wrote in message <36a697c9...@newshost.cyberramp.net>...
>What is the largest Rott that anyone has seen?
>
>I have a very large Rott myself (180 pounds at age 2). Just wondering
>if there are any out there that are larger.
>
>Al
>alhe...@bigfoot.com

brent

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
a rottie just joined my family (me and my cat) two weeks ago .. he is a year
and a half .. he weighs about 110 lbs .. any bigger and it would be fat (for
him) .. i used to have a 120lb shep/wolf and i noticed alot of the same
thing among northern breed dog owners .. the bigger is better theory ..
personally i don't subscribe to it and i too think it is nothing to brag
about .. usually it just means you have a grossly overweight dog ..

Renee L. Tiepelman

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99

Luke wrote:

>Actually I have seen numerous rottweilers with white on them and my
>neighbour used to breed them and she said it is perfectly normal for some of
>them to have a white patch on them :)

This surprises me very much also!

--
Renee & John Tiepelman, K-D Dane Great Danes
mailto:kdd...@mail.usmo.com; T:314-583-4436/Fax:314-583-2436

Renee L. Tiepelman

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99

Luke wrote:

>Actually I have seen numerous rottweilers with white on them and my
>neighbour used to breed them and she said it is perfectly normal for some of
>them to have a white patch on them :)

This surprises me very much also!

--
Renee & John Tiepelman, K-D Dane Great Danes

luke

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

>Al! Al! Al! This changes a lot of things. Not being into Rotts I
>thought that they never had white. I have never seen any on even the
>worst bred ones. Was this a backyard type bred dog or from someone who
>really is well known in the breed and shows and or works their dogs?
>Are you serious when you say he has "too much white on his shoulder"
>or are you making a joke? If you are serious then are you also serious
>about considering breeding him if the vet says its ok? Who cares what
>the Vet says. He is liable to make money out of the whole thing. What
>about quality? Breeding to the standard?
>And are you really sure he is purebred???
>I am shocked at this point that you are even considering breeding him
>and please dont come back with " Several people want to breed to him"
>and "Several people want puppies from him"
>They are never around when the time comes.
>I better go and eat my fish and chips before I get too mad to eat
>anything.
>Liz

Elizabeth

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 09:20:50 +1000, "luke" <ago...@rocknet.net.au>
wrote:

On their shoulders?? Makes me wonder then also about your neighbour
"who used to breed them".
Thought this thread died out ages ago but since you want to seemingly
resurrect it...
Standard reads:-
A "small" spot of white on the chest or belly is permissible but not
desirable. White markings on toes, legs or any other parts of the body
are definite faults.
Liz
Liz

LizB

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <36e07c1...@news.earthlink.net>,
eliza...@nospamearthlink.net says...

>On their shoulders?? Makes me wonder then also about your neighbour
>"who used to breed them".
>Thought this thread died out ages ago but since you want to seemingly
>resurrect it...
>Standard reads:-
>A "small" spot of white on the chest or belly is permissible but not
>desirable. White markings on toes, legs or any other parts of the body
>are definite faults.

A white spot on the shoulder would worry me. Small white spots on the
chest, generally in the middle or above the butterfly marking occur at
times, many disappear with the puppy coat. I've never seen one on the
belly.

Although a white spot on the shoulder is not necessarily indicative of a
mixed breeding, it would lead me to discontinue breeding the sire/dam or
do test breeding to determine where it is coming from. Given the number
of rottweilers in this country, I probably wouldn't do test breeding -
there's no point to producing puppies from parents who may be throwing a
problem. With the rottweilers immune system problems, a white spot in a
strange place could be a sign of an immune system problem, like
vitiligo.

--
Liz & the Rottie Riot Grrrrls (& da Boyzzz)
Janni, Tessi, Molly, Ascan & Perry

Elizabeth

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

Good thought Liz. But some will just breed because their dogs is extra
large and to heck with anything else.
Liz- with a K <G>

LizB

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In article <36e1dd1e...@news.earthlink.net>,
eliza...@nospamearthlink.net says...

>Good thought Liz. But some will just breed because their dogs is extra
>large and to heck with anything else.
>Liz- with a K <G>

Oh I've seen worse!!! Like the nimrod around here that bred his
undersized female boxer to an oversized min pin to produce miniature
rottweilers!!

He was one up on some big name kennels though, he only did it once and
he didn't take MC/VISA for the product.

{nor did he contribute to the "products" rescue costs, sigh......}

danbl...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2019, 4:55:17 PM3/26/19
On Thursday, January 21, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Al Hetzel wrote:
> What is the largest Rott that anyone has seen?
>
> I have a very large Rott myself (180 pounds at age 2). Just wondering
> if there are any out there that are larger.
>
> Al
> alhe...@bigfoot.com

I have a five and a half month old rottweiler that weighs 91 lbs and i expect him to be realasticly 135 lbs in a year in shape. Based on their weight at three months you double that + add 10 lbs and that should be his weight. So at three months Thor was 60 lbs. Though at the vet scale today he was 91 lbs and now will add 45 +- lbs in the next year.

anthon...@centerpointpost.com

Feb 2, 2020, 5:53:01 PM2/2/20
We have just adopted a male Rott and took him to the vet for his vaccinations and a health check. At 11 weeks of age he weighed in at 31 LBS. The vet said it was the largest puppy they have ever seen that age and adjusted the medication dosages. Can anyone with a similar experience make a guess on how big he will get?

blaz...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2020, 7:26:05 PM4/30/20
My friends uncle has this ginormous rottweiler. he weighed about 250 and was twice the size of me. omg he was huge. i didn’t know they could get that big.