HELP! Lab "digging" in water bowl

Dlyka

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

I have a 12 week old labrador puppy girl.

Lately she's been literally digging in her water bowl. I've never seen
this in a dog before... The water ends up EVERYWHERE except in the bowl,
so if she does it while I'm away then she goes thirsty! I obivously don't
want that. I've thought of no-spill bowls, but it's not like she's tipping
it over -- she actually paws it out, vigorously, as if she's digging in
the ground (another habit that's recently surfaced).

She also does this while I'm at home, so I doubt that it's seperation
anxiety.

Has anyone seen this before, and are there any suggestions?
THANKS

Karen & Nicky

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to Yield."
Tennyson

PErcoli

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Typical behavior for dogs who love water and were born to swim. I have
Clumber Spaniels who do the same thing. If it becomes that much of a
problem that you can't keep any bowels filled, get a LIXIT and teach her
to drink out of the faucet. There are other types of waterers available
too. However, my dogs are into dumping and digging when small, it isn't a
continuous problem and they have outgrown it. The main thing to remember
is, you are dealing with a water dog, perhaps you need to start to fulfill
her desires for the water and her urge to swim.

PE

Sudhir B Nayak

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Our pup did this too. He stopped afer several "NO!!!!s". I have no idea
why whe was digging at his bowl.

Dlyka (dl...@aol.com) wrote:
: I have a 12 week old labrador puppy girl.

: Karen & Nicky

--

Sudhir Nayak
Department of Biology

.^. .^.
/ \ / \
__--^^^--__ ,' \/ `-.
,. _-^ @@@@@@@/ ^-_.' \
/ \ ,' \@@@@,' | ,---.___. \
\ `' `--' /~~\ | \ `. |
`. | , | \ \ !
`. `.| | | | i
\ `'. | # |# | !
\ \ \ / / i
\ \ `. `._.'__.' |
`| | `. \
/ / `. /%%%%%%\ | ARF!
| / ^--__ /\ |%%%%%%% | | ARF!
( ) ( ) | | | | `-____-^
`-' `-' | | | |
( ) ( )
`-' `-'

STEELERS FOOTBALL RULES!!!!!!

_\|/////_
// _ _ \\
( o o )
------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------------------

Tori Glatson

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Dlyka said:

>I have a 12 week old labrador puppy girl.
>
>Lately she's been literally digging in her water bowl.

Aussie puppies do this too. The explanation I've heard that makes the most
sense is that the dog is acting on its instinct to paw away at the scum
which would be floating on top of a wild canine's water source (eg a pond).

Just treat it like any other unaceptable puppy behavior. As soon as she
lifts a paw toward her water, tell her NO, firmly. Praise her for drinking
in a more ladylike way. She'll probably outgrow the behavior in a few weeks.

Have fun with your pup!

Jane Roby Castner

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97
to Dlyka

Ladies-

I have a four year old lab who did that as well when she was a
puppy. Several of the expensive toy catalogues, Brookstone, Hammacher
Schlamaker (sp) have dog bowls ($40) that hook up to a hose bib. It
keeps the bowl filled. It works great for us when the Cacao is outside,
but I'm not sure how it would do inside.
Cacao grew out making a mess with her water by the time she was 1
year.

Dlyka wrote:

> I have a 12 week old labrador puppy girl.

Nancy E. Holmes or R. Nelson Ruffin

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

I have dogs that do this when they are hot - the water is splashed on them
and cools them down it seems and the immediate floor area gets cooler too.
A cool pad like the polar pad from J&B Wholesale helps and access to a
kiddie pool may help too - try the watering hole type bowl a lid makes the
opening too small for paws to dig in.
Good luck
Nancy
ps freezing the water bowl may help too

Dlyka <dl...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970716124...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

Type in your real name here

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

My last dog was a Samoyed who had very lush fur. When he would get hot in
the summer, he would "dig" in his water bowl like you described. My vet
said that it was a natural way of cooling himself. Digging in the ground
may be done for that reason also, since the soil underneath is cooler that
the top. I would get your lab a baby pool for the yard to play in, so he
doesn't need the water bowl.

Shelly

Betsy Barton

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

My Schipperkes like to dig in the water, also. But they have a pool
outside for digging in. When I hear that familiar splashing sound in the
kitchen, I holler "not in the house" and they go out and dig in the pool
again!

Betsy & the Schips

swee...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2020, 6:25:41 AM7/7/20
Den onsdag 16 juli 1997 kl. 09:00:00 UTC+2 skrev Dlyka:
> I have a 12 week old labrador puppy girl.
>
> Lately she's been literally digging in her water bowl. I've never seen
> this in a dog before... The water ends up EVERYWHERE except in the bowl,
> so if she does it while I'm away then she goes thirsty! I obivously don't
> want that. I've thought of no-spill bowls, but it's not like she's tipping
> it over -- she actually paws it out, vigorously, as if she's digging in
> the ground (another habit that's recently surfaced).
>
> She also does this while I'm at home, so I doubt that it's seperation
> anxiety.
>
> Has anyone seen this before, and are there any suggestions?
> THANKS
>

> Karen & Nicky
>
> "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to Yield."
> Tennyson

I know this thread is old, but training your dog is the only long-term solution.

I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue.

Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. The same goes for all the nasty urine.

All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of 🐶

Here's a link to their site: http://hiddendogintelligence.club/