How do you stop an attacking pit bull?

boobp...@my-deja.com

Feb 8, 2001, 1:08:04 AM2/8/01
Greetings,
I've just been informed that the pit bull that twice attacked
my dog, and bit me both times when I tried to save my dog,
will be released from animal control back to the family
tomorrow. Don't ask how this can be, because I can't believe
it myself...

Anyways, I have reason to believe that this thing will
go after my dog again, as I live 3 doors down and the owners
have thus far been unwilling and/or unable to control this
thing (the reasons are beyond the scope of this message..)

This thing is big, long, muscular, low, and powerful. It's
definitely one of the biggest pit bulls I've seen, and it
seems to be built for one function: Kill other dogs!

My question: How does one stop this thing in it's tracks if
it is charging at my dog? I've heard that pepper spray is
often ineffective against such a dog, and I doubt a kick
would sway this thing. When it attacked my dog last time,
I was amazed at the speed and precision of the attack,
and I can't see any way of stopping this thing next time!

A non-lethal approach would be great (I'm a tree-hugging
animal-loving vegetarian..), but I will kill this thing
lickitty-split if it latches onto my dog again! Currently,
my only idea is to ventilate his skull with a .380 hollow-
point, but I figure this will land me in jail (which is better
than losing my dog and getting chewed on again, I guess).

So, how do I stop a 100-pound pit bull hell-bent on
ripping up my pacifistic boxer?? Stun gun? Mace? Baseball bat?
Shiny distracting object? The force??

Thanks!
Booboo

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

COLIERRANND2

Feb 8, 2001, 1:40:51 AM2/8/01
I can tell you one thing that stopped a tee-off Rottweiller, but I dont
recommend this. True story....

My family at one time had a Border Collie which my brother would have no other
way but to name it Lassie. I wont start.

Anyhow, the neighbors Rotty gets loose and comes charging into our yard heading
straight for me, who happenned to be a baby at the time.The BC takes off
straight for the Rott (this is the part that sounds incredulous), Lassie cuts
UNDERNEATH the Rott and actually nips the stomach, the figure 8s back to repeat
it, drawing blood. This stunned the Rott completely. My mom snatched me into
the house, while Lassie then procedes to chase the Rott right up to the
property line.

Now if I was going to stop the Pit you're reffering to I would go to my local
ACE Hardware and buy a nice big shovel!

Col

Wes Marden

Feb 8, 2001, 4:09:25 AM2/8/01

boobp...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Greetings,
> I've just been informed that the pit bull that twice attacked
> my dog, and bit me both times when I tried to save my dog,
> will be released from animal control back to the family
> tomorrow. Don't ask how this can be, because I can't believe
> it myself...
>
> Anyways, I have reason to believe that this thing will
> go after my dog again, as I live 3 doors down and the owners
> have thus far been unwilling and/or unable to control this
> thing (the reasons are beyond the scope of this message..)
>
> This thing is big, long, muscular, low, and powerful. It's
> definitely one of the biggest pit bulls I've seen, and it
> seems to be built for one function: Kill other dogs!
>
> My question: How does one stop this thing in it's tracks if
> it is charging at my dog? I've heard that pepper spray is
> often ineffective against such a dog, and I doubt a kick
> would sway this thing. When it attacked my dog last time,
> I was amazed at the speed and precision of the attack,
> and I can't see any way of stopping this thing next time!

Bat, machete, sword. If a dog were to attack my dog, I would probably
shoot the offending canine. But if I did not have a gun, I would do
whatever it took to stop the other dog. You do not mess with my dogs.
I'd lay my life on the line for any dog I'd own. Dogs will do the same
so why don't we.

Once I was sitting in my car and getting out when a dog came up and bit
my dog, more of dominance thing I think, than an attack. Well I jumped
out of the car and faced down that dog. If it had continued, I would
have broken its neck as I had no weapons handy other than myself. As it
was, it did not care to face me. I had more than enough aggression to
defend my pup. It figured that out and ran off.

> A non-lethal approach would be great (I'm a tree-hugging
> animal-loving vegetarian..), but I will kill this thing
> lickitty-split if it latches onto my dog again! Currently,
> my only idea is to ventilate his skull with a .380 hollow-
> point, but I figure this will land me in jail (which is better
> than losing my dog and getting chewed on again, I guess).
>
> So, how do I stop a 100-pound pit bull hell-bent on
> ripping up my pacifistic boxer?? Stun gun? Mace? Baseball bat?
> Shiny distracting object? The force??

Water gun filled with ammonia, may work. Spray his eyes.

Bill

Feb 8, 2001, 12:04:48 PM2/8/01
In article <mnb58t80ogvc4vhlt...@4ax.com>,
johnny...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Some poison in a nice ball of hamburger could possibly do the trick.
> Otherwise I like the shovel idea.
>
> Johnny

> The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But to be sure, if he lived
> for fifty years and then died........what would become of me?? -Sir Walter S

Such as boobpirate: ignore him

John F Richardson

Feb 8, 2001, 12:56:08 PM2/8/01
Bill writes:

:Go ahead and just give it a swift kick
:to the face. That will do the trick.

Christ, Bill. I thought you knew a hell
of a lot better than that. This would
be a hard move to use effectively on
a moving dog while your handling
your own dog, is likely to be ineffective
anyway if the Pit Bull really, really means
it and could be terribly dangerous if,
as Booby claims, the dog has shown
signs of aggression transference.

I have a hard time believing that any
Pit Bull that has bitten a human twice
is about to be released.

A sudden loud sound blasted when the
dog is not too close, not too far away
is probably the best startle technique.
I used my own voice effectively in that
way when a loose Pit Bull took a run
at my own Pit Bull. A loud ref's whistle
or a boat horn could be considered.

If the owners of a troublesome Pit Bull
are too damned stupid to own a breakstick,
one should consider getting one for oneself.
They are basically 6-10" wooden or plastic
combination wedge-levers that look roughly
like either a fat butterknife or a flattened
tent stake. You straddle the dog, stick the
wedge in by the molars and twist so that
the edge further back in the dog's mouth
is moving down, the edge further up is
moving up. The dog's mouth won't open
wide, but it will open enough to get it off
the other dog. Make sure you immediately
separate the dogs once the Pit Bull is
off. Don't waste time screaming or jammering.
Get to work.

You can make your own breakstick by whittling
down a hammer handle, available at many
hardware/supply stores. I'll track down some
websites.

JohnR
Pit Bull Libertarian

Never sneer at the power of a little
pink squeaky toy!

Bill

Feb 8, 2001, 1:13:18 PM2/8/01
In article <20010208125608...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,

jfrc...@aol.com (John F Richardson) wrote:

> Bill writes:
>
> :Go ahead and just give it a swift kick
> :to the face. That will do the trick.
>
> Christ, Bill. I thought you knew a hell
> of a lot better than that. This would
> be a hard move to use effectively on
> a moving dog while your handling
> your own dog, is likely to be ineffective
> anyway if the Pit Bull really, really means
> it and could be terribly dangerous if,
> as Booby claims, the dog has shown
> signs of aggression transference.

Easy there. I was suggesting that boobpirate take that route. Maybe get
what he deserves. If either of these 2 twits knew what the hell they were
doing, they wouldn't put them selves in a sittuation like this.

--Bill

Slimm the Snake

Feb 8, 2001, 2:47:07 PM2/8/01
Why don't you call your local police department and see what your
punishment would be for shooting a dog that was attacking you?
Seriously... ask what legal means of self-defense you can take against a
"stray" dog that attacks you or your dog on your own property. In my
experience, most PD's have been very helpful in answering my questions
about the legality of various actions, including those concerning pets,
since they will ultimately be the ones who come out to arrest someone if
a potential crime is commmitted.

Bill

Feb 8, 2001, 2:40:11 PM2/8/01
In article <3A82F7BA...@bellsouth.net>, Slimm the Snake
<fats...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

If this dog is attacking people, it should be put down anyway.

--Bill

COLIERRANND2

Feb 8, 2001, 2:51:00 PM2/8/01
Here's just a wild thought. By asking this I am not claiming to be smart so
noone be snotty, but what are the legistics of obtaining a tranquilizer gun?Are
they expensive? Are they illegal to have and carry?

Col
Col
"If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?"

Lori

Feb 8, 2001, 3:13:14 PM2/8/01
I would keep my dog behind a 6 foot secured fence in which this menace
of the neighborhood can't get past. Sometimes, you just have to be on
the defensive and secure your family and property. Keep your video
camera handy and tape this dog if he is off his property without being
leashed and controlled. Call animal control and the police. It's a
shame you will be held captive to your own home and property, but your
dog will be alive. That's the important part. Don't know if this is
what you wanted. Just my .02

"I got a dog for my husband,......... I think it was a fair trade."

Wilo Pups~~Huge list of dog links, check it out!
http://community.webtv.net/silkypup/WiloPups

Ted Campanelli

Feb 8, 2001, 4:17:35 PM2/8/01
First, you go to the police station and tell them about this dog. While
you are there you say "This dog has bitten me twice. I am deathly
afraid that this dog will attack me again and do either serious damage
to me or kill me. Can you prevent this dog from being released ?" When
the police say they can not prevent it (of course), you say: "Well, you
leave me no option but to defend myself anyway I can. Since the police
will not protect me I will have to protect myself." Make SURE you have
someone with you who will witness what you said to the police and what
they say to you.

Second, load your .380 with Corbon Plus P Plus hollow point ammunition
(extremely high performance ammunition).

Third, when the dog comes after you and your dog again, shoot the dog
and kill it. Then call the police.

Fourth, when the police arrive, tell them you shot the dog "BECAUSE IT
WAS ATTACKING YOU AND YOU WERE AFRAID YOU WERE GOING TO BE SEVERELY
MAULED OR KILLED." Then tell the police you want the owner(s) of the
dog arrested for letting a KNOWN VICIOUS DOG run loose. If the police
refuse to arrest him, tell the police you will sign a warrant/complaint,
AND THEN DO IT.

The trip to the police station with a witness and all statements in
quotes are ABSOLUTELY necessary to keep yourself out of trouble. The
ABSOLUTE WORST they can TRY to do (and a half baked lawyer can get you
out of it) is charge you with discharging a firearm within city/town
limits. Believe me, no jury will convict you if you are charged.

You have demonstrated your fear of the dog (trip to the police station
and the previous doggie bites). The police told you IN FRONT OF A
WITNESS they could not/would not do anything. You were protecting
yourself (self defense) AND also had the owner(s) charged with a crime.

You can also sue the owner(s) of the Rottie for medical damages to you
and your dog and, depending on the state, possibly more.

I do not like the idea of killing an animal, however, this dog has
bitten you twice. The owners refuse to do anything to control the dog.
The dog, by even extremely lenient standards, is vicious and a danger to
you and the community. If you wait for the Animal Control or the police
to do anything, you and your dog are going to be in a BIG hurt.

In order to keep yourself out of trouble, you need to follow the steps
AND the quotes.

I wish you well with this unfortunate situation.

Fusion2k

Feb 8, 2001, 4:16:40 PM2/8/01
Well I was born in Portugal where almost every family had a dog and a lot of
us have had experiences with dog attacks.
When I was a little kid this Portuguese Herding Dog came running at me from
his side of the farm, my grandfather noticed it and he intercepted the dog
and kick him straight in the ribs, the dog yelped and ran away (never
bothered me from then on).
Also my uncle was once attacked by a boxer, he kicked him in the chest as
the dog tried to leap for his head, dog was gasping for air by he was ok.
(No charges, self defense)
But I really like the shovel idea.

Paul Matthews

Feb 8, 2001, 4:18:48 PM2/8/01
Totally amused here that the guy who first posted all the hate mail about pit
owners and put so many people down with insults and foul language is now
requesting help, ever so politely...go figure

Personally, I'd call animal control and the police every time the dog stuck his
nose outside his yard off-leash. If the dog would go after yours, not much
changes to stop him from going after some kid and his dog out playing catch.
Paul C
Purebred...mix...their tails still wag the same and they'll still grab your
lunch. Scratch an ear anyways.

Bill

Feb 8, 2001, 4:46:26 PM2/8/01
In article <20010208161848...@ng-ba1.aol.com>, sna...@aol.com
(Paul Matthews) wrote:

> If the dog would go after yours, not much
> changes to stop him from going after some kid and his dog out playing catch.
> Paul C
> Purebred...mix...their tails still wag the same and they'll still grab your
> lunch. Scratch an ear anyways.

Dog agression and human agression are not even remotely connected in this breed.

Pat

Feb 8, 2001, 4:50:16 PM2/8/01

<boobp...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:95td41$a6$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

How about a stun gun? Are they legal?

--
Pat T
amps...@worldnet.att.net

Be not conformed to this world; but be
transformed by the renewing of your mind....
Rom. 12:2

Paul Matthews

Feb 8, 2001, 5:17:05 PM2/8/01
thechin_-080...@gandalf.support.ot.com says...

>sna...@aol.com
>(Paul Matthews) wrote:
>
>> If the dog would go after yours, not much
>> changes to stop him from going after some kid and his dog out playing
>>catch.

>Dog agression and human agression are not even remotely connected in this
>breed.

they are when the OP says the dog also bit him twice while attacking his dog.

If the dog would bite an adult while attacking another dog, you really think
it'd leave a child alone under the same circumstances?

boobp...@my-deja.com

Feb 8, 2001, 5:13:09 PM2/8/01
I've considered that, but ruled it right out. I would much
rather be able to stop the attack before it starts, and then
take action to get the dog removed.
Will a stun gun do anything?

Thanks,
Boo

johnny...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Some poison in a nice ball of hamburger could possibly do the trick.
> Otherwise I like the shovel idea.
>
> Johnny
>
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 06:08:04 GMT, boobp...@my-deja.com wrote:
>

> The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But to be sure, if
he lived
> for fifty years and then died........what would become of me?? -Sir

Walter Scott

Bill

Feb 8, 2001, 5:30:17 PM2/8/01
In article <20010208171705...@ng-ba1.aol.com>, sna...@aol.com
(Paul Matthews) wrote:

> >thec...@hotmail.com (Bill)
> thechin_-080...@gandalf.support.ot.com says...
>
> >sna...@aol.com
> >(Paul Matthews) wrote:
> >
> >> If the dog would go after yours, not much
> >> changes to stop him from going after some kid and his dog out playing
> >>catch.
>
> >Dog agression and human agression are not even remotely connected in this
> >breed.
>
> they are when the OP says the dog also bit him twice while attacking his dog.
>
> If the dog would bite an adult while attacking another dog, you really think
> it'd leave a child alone under the same circumstances?

You are correct. If the dog has in fact bit another person, the only
solution is to be put down imediatly after the first offense. Do not pass
Go. Do not collect $200 dollars.
On the other hand, this guy is a complete wacko. I highly doubt the dog in
question even exists.

boobp...@my-deja.com

Feb 8, 2001, 5:26:04 PM2/8/01
In article <20010208125608...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
jfrc...@aol.com (John F Richardson) wrote:
> Bill writes:
>
> :Go ahead and just give it a swift kick
> :to the face. That will do the trick.
>
> Christ, Bill. I thought you knew a hell
> of a lot better than that. This would
> be a hard move to use effectively on
> a moving dog while your handling
> your own dog, is likely to be ineffective
> anyway if the Pit Bull really, really means
> it and could be terribly dangerous if,
> as Booby claims, the dog has shown
> signs of aggression transference.
>
> I have a hard time believing that any
> Pit Bull that has bitten a human twice
> is about to be released.

Have an easier time believing it:
San Diego Animal Control
619-236-4250
Dog name: Yesca - 2 bite reports...

I'll definately get a breakstick. From seeing this
dog in action, it's hard to believe that I will be
able to effectively use it, but it really sounds like
the best way to break the grip once it's gotten that
far...

But, I would like to prevent it from getting that far,
and like I said, it could be weeks, months, or never that
this thing gets out again, but I need to be prepared.

What about a cattle-prod or stun-gun...?

Boobz

Bill

Feb 8, 2001, 5:58:26 PM2/8/01
In article <95v6dk$hpi$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, boobp...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <20010208125608...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
> jfrc...@aol.com (John F Richardson) wrote:
> > Bill writes:
> >

> Have an easier time believing it:
> San Diego Animal Control
> 619-236-4250
> Dog name: Yesca - 2 bite reports...

If that is the case, this dog should have been put down after the first
report. Were there any injuries? Proof of the attack? If those things are
missing, that could be the only way I could see this dog being released.
Shit, most pits are put down under suspision of the posibiliy of biting
someone.

> I'll definately get a breakstick. From seeing this
> dog in action, it's hard to believe that I will be
> able to effectively use it, but it really sounds like
> the best way to break the grip once it's gotten that
> far...
>
> But, I would like to prevent it from getting that far,
> and like I said, it could be weeks, months, or never that
> this thing gets out again, but I need to be prepared.
>
> What about a cattle-prod or stun-gun...?
>
> Boobz

Neither of those things are going to be of much use to a pit bull that is
dead set on getting what it wants. A break stick would be great, but you
have to wait for the dog to grab something. Then, what the hell are you
going to do once you get the dog is off? Wait for it to attack again.
Shit, as much as I hate to say it, if this dog has bitten PEOPLE before, I
would direct a .40 cal to it's head. Now, if the bite reports concern
dogs, that is a diff story.

--Bill

Stephanie

Feb 8, 2001, 6:26:58 PM2/8/01
You should also put a note in here that one shot may not do it.

I am an animal lover also but.....my ex-husband's uncle had a pit bull
that attacked a hog. My ex first tried a baseball
bat...nothing...then shot the dog once in the shoulder....nothing.
TWO shots to the head finally brought the dog down. We were in shock
at how determined that Pitt Bull was! To this day I will never let
one near me!

John F Richardson

Feb 8, 2001, 10:15:13 PM2/8/01
snagpc writes:

:Personally, I'd call animal control and

:the police every time the dog stuck his
:nose outside his yard off-leash.

Better yet, catch him and THEN call
animal control. AC seldom has the
resources for true "emergency
response" capability. Of course,
this assumes that the dog is safe
to catch. Most Pit Bulls are and this
one may or may not be depending on
whether his bite history is due to
true human aggression or due to
displaced aggression when in
a fight. Neither is normal for the
breed, but that is not the issue.
The issue is what THIS dog is
like. Anyway, if the problem is
displaced aggression and NOT
human aggression, he could be
quite easy to catch as long as he
is not riled by some dog.

John F Richardson

Feb 8, 2001, 10:20:31 PM2/8/01
snagpc writes:

:they are when the OP says the dog

:also bit him twice while attacking his dog.

Depends on whether this was actual
human aggression or displaced dog
aggression. Your own best buddy of
any breed might bite you if you try
to intervene when he's in a fight
frenzy. Anyway, neither trait is
is appropriate in Pit Bulls. But
the question of whether this dog
would be likely to go after a kid
who is not trying to break up a
fight does depend on what
precisely is wrong with this dog.
We know for sure (assuming we
have an accurate report) that
something is. We just don't know
what.

John F Richardson

Feb 8, 2001, 10:21:38 PM2/8/01
Stephanie writes:

:I am an animal lover also but.....my

:ex-husband's uncle had a pit bull that
:attacked a hog. My ex first tried a
:baseball bat...

Oh, christ...

John F Richardson

Feb 8, 2001, 10:49:03 PM2/8/01
I wrote:

> Christ, Bill. I thought you knew a hell
> of a lot better than that. This would
> be a hard move to use effectively on
> a moving dog while your handling
> your own dog, is likely to be ineffective
> anyway if the Pit Bull really, really means
> it and could be terribly dangerous if,
> as Booby claims, the dog has shown
> signs of aggression transference.
>
> I have a hard time believing that any
> Pit Bull that has bitten a human twice
> is about to be released.

Boobz replies:

:Have an easier time believing it:

:San Diego Animal Control
:619-236-4250
:Dog name: Yesca - 2 bite reports...

Thanks for providing this info.

:I'll definately get a breakstick. From seeing this

:dog in action, it's hard to believe that I will be
:able to effectively use it, but it really sounds like
:the best way to break the grip once it's gotten that
:far...

It is amazing how well they work. It is not
a zero effort sort of tool, but you get a
LOT of mechanical advantage and you
can remove dogs that you'd think were
crazy glued on the other dog if you
went at it any other way. The oldtimers
got some of the most tenacious Pit Bulls
of all time off each other this way. No
matter what one thinks of the old timers,
it's foolish not to use what they learned
about how to deal with this sort of situation.

:But, I would like to prevent it from getting

:that far, and like I said, it could be weeks,
:months, or never that this thing gets out
:again, but I need to be prepared.

:What about a cattle-prod or stun-gun...?

Well, I haven't had to use either and don't
really know much about how effective
either has really been for others. So I
personally can't vouch for either. But
if I used anything along these lines, I'm
quite sure that I wouldn't want to have
to count on my aim being good in a
stressful, rapidly evolving situation.
So I suspect I'd prefer the prod, but
I'm really just offering armchair
speculation here.

Bill

Feb 9, 2001, 9:22:10 AM2/9/01

> You should also put a note in here that one shot may not do it.
>
> I am an animal lover also but.....my ex-husband's uncle had a pit bull
> that attacked a hog. My ex first tried a baseball
> bat...nothing...then shot the dog once in the shoulder....nothing.
> TWO shots to the head finally brought the dog down. We were in shock
> at how determined that Pitt Bull was! To this day I will never let
> one near me!

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read. Ever think that the dog
might be from a line of Hog hunters? The dog latches on to a hog, like it
is supposed to, and you don't let it next to you??? Did it ever show any
sign of agression towards you or your family. Or are you just another
whack-a-mole who believes everything they see and here on the boob tube.

geesh. All these stupid people, so few rounds of ammo

Leah

Feb 9, 2001, 9:34:02 AM2/9/01
wrote:
>Depends on whether this was actual
>human aggression or displaced dog
>aggression. Your own best buddy of
>any breed might bite you if you try
>to intervene when he's in a fight
>frenzy.

Absolutely.

My brother-in-law got bitten by my collie when he was trying to intervene in a
fight between him and my chi/pug. The collie was gentle as a lamb and wouldn't
hurt a fly. The chi/pug, for some reason, didn't like him, and would
occasionally just lash into him. Normally the collie would just try to walk
away and, as last resort, would pin the chi/pug down until he chilled out.
Buck must have snapped at his last nerve this time. I'm sure the collie's bite
was directed towards the dog, not the person.

The same chi/pug bit me (didn't draw blood) when I was in the way of a warning
snap he was giving my Eskie, who was bugging him while he ate. He was quite
chagrined when mommy yelled, "Ouch!"

Learn How to Can Spam
http://www.whew.com/Spammers/reportspam_stepbystep.shtml
http://www.spamfree.org/
WHITE HAT OF THE MONTH - Nominate At: http://www.whitehat.com/whotm/
Internet Secrets, 2nd Edition, by John Levine (All About Spam, p. 277)

Paul Matthews

Feb 9, 2001, 10:26:58 AM2/9/01
>the question of whether this dog
>would be likely to go after a kid
>who is not trying to break up a
>fight does depend on what
>precisely is wrong with this dog.

Yup. I was also thinking that the kid might be fairly close to his dog in the
first place, or just trying to pull his dog away - either of which would put
him close enough to the attacking pit to be bitten by accident.

Heidi Evans

Feb 9, 2001, 12:18:46 PM2/9/01
Bill wrote in message ...

>> Dog name: Yesca - 2 bite reports...
>If that is the case, this dog should have been put down after the first
>report. Were there any injuries? Proof of the attack? If those things are

It depends on local laws. Some places have something like 'three strikes
and you're out'. Which I think is fair, because I would bet that a large
percentage, if not a majority, of dog bites against humans are deserved. I
was very grateful that the local laws here didn't immediately require my Old
English Sheepdog (many years ago, now---anti-animal sentiment may have
changed this) to be put down for defending himself against the juvenile
delinquent who threw rocks at him hard enough to draw blood( which is damn
hard with that coat! But it's not so thick on the top of the head).

--
It's finally here!
http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

Dave

Feb 9, 2001, 1:02:21 PM2/9/01
A cattle prod is an extremely effective defense against an attacking dog. I
have seen them used to great effectiveness agains dogs in extreme drive
situations. They are easy to use, and I have seen that very tough dogs
remember them next time.

<boobp...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Chrisman Dinnan

Feb 9, 2001, 3:22:24 PM2/9/01
I'm wondering Stephanie, do you often take shortcuts to thinking??? One
time a person of African-American decent called me "Milk" and was mean to
me. Do I despise all people of this ethnic persuasion?? Of course not,
that would be stupid.

As an owner of what is surely to be one of the most affectionate and loyal
breeds of dog called the Pit Bull I must express my condolences to this man
and his dog. A responsible owner of this type of dog should NEVER let it
off the leash around other dogs, he isn't fit to own this fine breed and
should consider giving his dog to someone who knows how to handle it.

There are basically two reasons for the bad reputation the Pit Bull has
received as of late.

1. Idiot owners who do not have knowledge of the breed and therefore are lax
in their duties as a pet owner.

2. Idiot people like you who seem to believe that they are all the same
when they surely are not.

Were you aware of the following:

In a recent study of 122 breeds of dog by the National Temperament
Testing Association, APBTs achieved a passing rate of 81.7%.
That's as good and better than the results for beagles (78.7%),
cocker spaniels (80.8%) and golden retrievers (81.1%).
In these tests, a dog is put through a series of confrontational situations.
Any sign of panic or aggression leads to failure of the test. The
achievement
of the APBTs in this study disproves once and for all the mistaken belief
that
pit bulls are inherently aggressive to people.
Like any breed of dog, a pitbull that is properly raised will remain loving
and friendly. In the past 20 years, we have seen some sad examples of poorly
bred dogs who are the byproducts of irresponsible 'backyard breeders'.
These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far
removed from the traditional authentic APBT. Do not confuse these
unfortunate misbreds with
the huge majority of well-loved dogs in this country that remain solid in
temperament, affectionate,
trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.

PS.
If your ex didn't have his head in his ass and if he actually KNEW a damned
thing or two about the breed he could have gotten his dog off without
killing it. Idiot.

Chrisman Dinnan

Stephanie

Feb 9, 2001, 7:10:55 PM2/9/01
Nope, I KNOW they are not all the same. Actually, I know some very
nice, well - behaved and well trained Pit Bulls. But if a dog bites
me TWICE unprovoked, on public property, there is a PROBLEM!!!
Be it a Pit Bull or a poodle, I will defend myself and/or my dog.
First you try "civil" tactics, when you run out of them, well you do
what you have to.

The option of a breakstick seems a bit much also, unless one has had
experience with one. What do you do with the crazed dog after you pry
it's jaws open?

The key to this whole thread is RESPONSIBLE OWNER of which the dog in
question obviously does not have.

Just for the record...I have a Doberman (and I have heard all the
horror stories about them, too). I am taking great care with his
training and behavior. He is NEVER out of the fence without a leash.

Stephanie

Stephanie

Feb 9, 2001, 7:15:33 PM2/9/01
Chrisman Dinnan <broc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>PS.
>If your ex didn't have his head in his ass and if he actually KNEW a damned
>thing or two about the breed he could have gotten his dog off without
>killing it. Idiot.

>Chrisman Dinnan

First off, it wasn't his dog, it was his uncle's. The dog was not
intrested in negotiating. There was NO OTHER CHOICE but to put the
dog down.

John F Richardson

Feb 10, 2001, 1:04:44 AM2/10/01
stephani writes:

:The option of a breakstick seems a bit

:much also, unless one has had experience
:with one. What do you do with the crazed
:dog after you pry it's jaws open?

You turn it around and move it away
from the other dog. Pit Bulls who are
in fight mode ar not in a wild frenzy
of the sort seen with most other
breeds when in a fight. Pit Bulls tend
to be extremely focused and are
generally NOT likely to bite people
who remove them from other dogs.

John F Richardson

Feb 10, 2001, 1:06:05 AM2/10/01
Stephani writes:

:First off, it wasn't his dog, it was his

:uncle's. The dog was not intrested in
:negotiating.

Not the issue.

:There was NO OTHER CHOICE but to put
:the dog down.

Yes, the other choice was getting the
dog off the hog the correct and humane
way.

Stephanie

Feb 10, 2001, 10:34:32 AM2/10/01
jfrc...@aol.com (John F Richardson) wrote:
>:There was NO OTHER CHOICE but to put
>:the dog down.
>
>Yes, the other choice was getting the
>dog off the hog the correct and humane
>way.
>
>JohnR
>Pit Bull Libertarian

Last posting on this subject:
With all due respect, sir, YOU were not there and canot make that
judgement.

John F Richardson

Feb 10, 2001, 11:05:52 PM2/10/01
Stepahi writes:

:Last posting on this subject:

:With all due respect, sir, YOU
:were not there and canot make
:that judgement.

With all due respect, if I HAD
been there, nobody would have
reached for a bat, let alone
a gun, to handle the situation
and things would have been
done the right way.

JohnR
Pit Bull Libertarian

Never sneer at the power of a little
pink squeaky toy!

Chrisman Dinnan

Feb 11, 2001, 8:22:40 AM2/11/01
With all due respect to you Stephani, you've provided us with enough
information to KNOW that this matter was NOT handled correctly.

Chrisman

> From: step...@onslowonline.net (Stephanie)
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.breeds
> Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:34:32 GMT
> Subject: Re: Garunteed to stop an attacking pit bull AND keep you out of
> trouble.

your mom

Feb 11, 2001, 12:08:34 PM2/11/01
1) sue for damages (vet and medical bills).
2) carry a mace. All it takes is one mace and the pit bull will urinate
everytime he sees you.

A passive approach won't help the situation if the dog has attacked before.
All it takes is one good bite to your dog's (or your's) neck.

Penny

Feb 11, 2001, 3:14:36 PM2/11/01
I don't know anything about this topic, but I was wondering if there was any
sort of "protective gear" that the poster and his dog could wear as a
defensive precaution against this dog attacking them? Like, maybe some
super-tough gloves for the human and a helmet and neck-armor for the dog? I
was just wondering what products are available out there to keep dogs safe
from serious injury...

"John F Richardson" <jfrc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Elizabeth Naime

Feb 13, 2001, 3:50:34 PM2/13/01
John F Richardson (jfrc...@aol.com) wrote:
> Stepahi writes:

> :Last posting on this subject:
> :With all due respect, sir, YOU
> :were not there and canot make
> :that judgement.

> With all due respect, if I HAD
> been there, nobody would have
> reached for a bat, let alone
> a gun, to handle the situation
> and things would have been
> done the right way.

I'm inclined to believe John in these matters, not only from his posting
history, but from logic: If the dog did not turn his attention to biting
the person swinging the baseball bat and shooting him in the shoulder, I'd
say that dog was a tad "focused". Surely methods developed for breaking
up highly focused dogs would be more appropriate than uselessly and
pointlessly inflicting pain and injury on the dog?

Elizabeth

Chrisman Dinnan

Feb 13, 2001, 4:01:17 PM2/13/01

That's right Elizabeth, there are methods for getting out of situations like
these. Unfortunately Pitbulls often attract idiots who have no business
with these dogs and it is people like this who are ruining the breed for
people like me and presumably John, though I only know him through his
posts.

Chrisman

Stephanie

Feb 13, 2001, 9:28:45 PM2/13/01
Ok, so I fibbed...

The dog was not attacking another dog...it was in a HOG PEN on a FARM.
This was not the first animal it tried to KILL. This dog had NO
TRAINING whatsoever it liked to KILL things. If one of you would
like to jump in there with him, go right ahead.

PS. I have been held captive in MY OWN HOUSE by a pitt bull that
would not let me come out. I do know of some VERY NICE pitt bulls but
I will never be in the same area with them.

Chrisman Dinnan

Feb 14, 2001, 9:40:36 AM2/14/01
I gotta tell ya, Pitbulls are special dogs and I care about them a great
deal. Having said this, there is NO room for one that shows even a hint of
inappropriate aggression toward humans (animals is another matter). As much
as I love my dog Usul, if he were to behave in an aggressive manner toward
humans that was not appropriate, I would put him down. That is that.

It sounds to me like you were quite effected by your experiences, hey, who
could blame you. A mean Pitbull is a very scary thing. Whomever was
responsible for the dog that gave you such a low impression of the breed was
an ass and I can't help but think that if you were to have met my dog and he
was the first Pitbull you ever met, you'd feel very differently.

Anyhoo, I'm sure that I'm not going to convince you that they are the
sweetest animal on four legs and that a well bred and socialized Pitbull
makes a GREAT pet, but that HAS been my experience. To a certain extent, we
are all products of our experiences aren't we.

Just keep in mind that your experiences with the breed do not in any way
reflect those of mine and thousands of others who have chosen this breed and
are fortunate enough to share their lives with them. As I'm sure you know
the irresponsible among us has given the breed a rather bad reputation, but
I and others like me are trying to change that. Give us a chance.

Chrisman

> From: STEP...@ONSLOWONLINE.NET (Stephanie)
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.breeds
> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 02:28:45 GMT
> Subject: Re: Garunteed to stop an attacking pit bull AND keep you out of
> trouble.

John F Richardson

Feb 14, 2001, 3:33:43 PM2/14/01
Stephani writes:

:The dog was not attacking another dog...
:it was in a HOG PEN on a FARM. This was

:not the first animal it tried to KILL.

Dog aggression and large and/or small
animal aggression are not rare in the
breed. Human aggression is rare in
the breed and all efforts should be
maintained to keep it rare. But it
is a serious error to extrapolate
from animal aggression to human
aggression. MANY breeds that are
trustworthy around people have
high prey drives of one sort or
other.

sandpi...@usa.net

Feb 15, 2001, 9:05:55 PM2/15/01
I never tried this but a breeder with much experience suggests that a
safe way to break up a dog fight is by grabbing the aggresive dog by
the rear legs and dragging away in an arcing path. This arc or spin
prevents the dog from twisting about and biting you. Ideally two
people will each grab a dog.

I love dogs but there is no excuse for the behavior you describe. If I
were in your situation I would probably shoot it if it ever came on my
property again with the slightest hint of aggressive intent.

Chrisman Dinnan

Feb 16, 2001, 9:11:54 AM2/16/01

> I never tried this but a breeder with much experience suggests that a
> safe way to break up a dog fight is by grabbing the aggresive dog by
> the rear legs and dragging away in an arcing path. This arc or spin
> prevents the dog from twisting about and biting you. Ideally two
> people will each grab a dog.

I doubt that it was a Pitbull breeder who gave this information. While
nobody will ever mistake me for an expert, it has been my experience that a
dogfight goes through definable stages. Dog fights where Pitbulls are
involved changes the dynamic drastically. Ironically, the use of a breaking
stick is the tried and true method of breaking apart Pitbulls or Pitbulls
from other dogs, while if one tried to use it on let's say a GSD, or Rotty
one would surely get bit.

Further info could be found at alt.pets.dogs.pitbull where someone with more
experience than me could educate.

> I love dogs but there is no excuse for the behavior you describe. If I
> were in your situation I would probably shoot it if it ever came on my
> property again with the slightest hint of aggressive intent.

It's true, there is NO excuse. People like the ones described are ruining
the breed for people like me and thousands of others all across the country.

Chrisman

SQZCAT1

Feb 16, 2001, 10:06:13 AM2/16/01
I never tried this but a breeder with much experience suggests that a
safe way to break up a dog fight is by grabbing the aggresive dog by
the rear legs and dragging away in an arcing path.

That is horrible advice IMO. Try a breaking stick!

sandpi...@usa.net

Feb 16, 2001, 5:08:48 PM2/16/01
Chrisman, you are correct, the breeder recommending pulling apart by
the rear legs was talking about GSD's.

Schwalm911

Feb 16, 2001, 9:47:32 PM2/16/01
>Try a breaking stick!

You will have a hard time stopping that dog-fight and you might as well use a
tooth pick. A pit bull will not be deterred. One bit of advice - I recommend
that you never try to stop two dogs fighting. All expert advice says do not
attempt to break up a dog fight. Sooner or later it will stop and you had
better not be in the way. I would use common sense on this one.

Leah

Feb 16, 2001, 11:06:16 PM2/16/01

If a dog is getting injured - especially if it's my dog - you bet I'm going to
try to break it up!

In fact, I think I'm going to start carrying a blanket in my car so that I
always have access to a "safe" way to try to break up dog fights.

Does anybody know if throwing a blanket over the dogs will work on a pit bull?
I realize that breaking up a fight with one of them critters in it is more
difficult than the "average" dog fight.

SQZCAT1

Feb 16, 2001, 11:46:11 PM2/16/01
Sooner or later it will stop and you had
better not be in the way.

I wouldn't bet on it!

SQZCAT1

Feb 16, 2001, 11:45:31 PM2/16/01
You will have a hard time stopping that dog-fight and you might as well use a
tooth pick. A pit bull will not be deterred. One bit of advice - I recommend
that you never try to stop two dogs fighting.

If it's my dog you can bet your life i am going to break it up. And from what
i've always been told and read, a breaking stick is the only safe bet as far as
breaking up a Pit bull fight.....if done correctly.

Kirk Belanger

Feb 17, 2001, 9:30:22 AM2/17/01
> Does anybody know if throwing a blanket over the dogs will work on a pit bull?
> I realize that breaking up a fight with one of them critters in it is more
> difficult than the "average" dog fight.

Well, I had a pit bull take a run at my BullMastiff and neither of them were
deterred when the pit bull owner tried to throw a winter parka over his pit. The
result ended up in him getting bit by his own dog and my dog ripping up the pits
right rear leg to the point where the poor animal had to have extensive repair.
Fortunate for me, too bad for him, brave, but stupid.
A leash and muzzle would have solved the problem.

I do know that if you have the unfortunate experience of a dog lunging at you, a
good hard punch to the snout will stop a few, but if it is any of the big fellas
including a pit, this would probably do little to deter them. If you happen to
have a dog on top of you, grabbing both front legs and separating them apart
(outward) will usually cause their rib cage to snap and dislocate their legs, a
good deterent and the dog will probably expire if not treated immediately.You WILL
be ravaged quite bad if it happens to be a big guy, but you will survive, or at
least have a chance to. Work fast and work hard.

The most sense however is this "Break Stick" which I intend to learn more about.
From what I hear, if the dog is half way civil, it will work, but if it is an
untrained beast, it won't solve the entire problem.

The big problem is the "idiot" owners of these dogs. It's like a gun owner, you
have responsible owners and "idiot" owners and the criminal element. You can't
paint them all with the same brush, but that's another can of worms......

I guess if we made all dog owners legally responsible for their dogs actions it
might help. Consider that if a dog bites a person two times or three, the poor
pooch is put down under present legislation, depending on where you live.
However if the dog bites someone once, it is a $500.00 fine to the owner. A second
offence is $1500.00 and Six Months in jail to the owner. Third offence is dog
destroyed, 1 Year in jail and a prohibition of owning a dog or having one in their
household, for 3 years.
Not to mention the possibility if them being sued anyway by the victims. These
might make it little less enticing to have an untrained dog as a so called "pet".
Owners would be forced to be responsible or find themselves in court and perhaps
jail.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John F Richardson

Feb 17, 2001, 10:11:33 AM2/17/01
sandpiper writes:

:I never tried this but a breeder with

:much experience suggests that a
:safe way to break up a dog fight is by
:grabbing the aggresive dog by the rear
:legs and dragging away in an arcing path.
:This arc or spin prevents the dog from
:twisting about and biting you.

That would neither work with Pit Bulls,
as the problem isn't moving them away
after they are off the other dog, but
getting them off in the first place, nor
SHOULD the bite-avoidance tactic be
necessary, though it is best not to assume
too much with unknown dogs or even dogs
never before handled when riled by other
dogs.

John F Richardson

Feb 17, 2001, 10:30:01 AM2/17/01
schwalm911 writes of break sticks:

:You will have a hard time stopping that

:dog-fight and you might as well use a
:tooth pick.

No, break sticks are the traditional tool
specifically for breaking Pit Bulls off other
dogs (or hogs in the case of catch dogs).

:A pit bull will not be deterred.

Neither will a good, competent owner
who keeps and knows how to use a
breakstick (and it's not exactly rocket
science) in the event that all best efforts
at fight prevention fail.

:One bit of advice - I recommend that you

:never try to stop two dogs fighting.
:All expert advice says do not attempt to
:break up a dog fight. Sooner or later it
:will stop and you had better not be in
:the way. I would use common sense on
:this one.

You had best stuff that expert advice
in the nearest trash recepticle. There
are definitely serious issues to consider
when considering whether to intervene
in a dog fight. But citing anonymous
"experts" doesn't turn useless commentary
into good advice. Your post doesn't even
cohere with itself. A Pit Bull who "won't
be dissuaded" is going to up and break off
the fight on his own? Yes, some Pit Bulls
will. But it is precisely those who won't
be dissuaded that require a break stick.

John F Richardson

Feb 17, 2001, 10:33:54 AM2/17/01
dfrntdrums writes:

:Does anybody know if throwing a

:blanket over the dogs will work on
:a pit bull?

Anything might work with any
given individual dog, but this
would not be a realiable way
to stop a Pit Bull from fighting.

John F Richardson

Feb 17, 2001, 11:21:15 AM2/17/01
Kirk Belanger writes:

:A leash and muzzle would have solved
:the problem.

Or just a leash. If there's no contact,
there's no fight.

sandpi...@usa.net

Feb 17, 2001, 11:50:05 PM2/17/01
Did anyone suggest pepper spray?

Kirk Belanger

Feb 18, 2001, 6:25:10 AM2/18/01
To JohnR,
When you use the break stick, you still run the risk of
injury to yourself, no?
In my very limited experience with pits however, the pit appears to be
so focused on it's opponent (for lack of a better term) it might be
possible to insert the break stick but you would still have to be very
strong.
What I mean is, unlike other dogs that make several bites, these fellas
tend to lock down for extended periods and rip, giving you the
opportunity to get in with the break stick, correct?

Kirk

John F Richardson

Feb 18, 2001, 11:46:09 AM2/18/01
Kirk Belanger writes:

:When you use the break stick, you still

:run the risk of injury to yourself, no?

Insofar as there is always SOME risk, yes.
But to quantify that risk, consider how many
thousands of dogs have been taken off other
dogs or hogs or bulls or whatever with break-
sticks over the decades. Of course, if you don't
know the dog, you are taking a bigger risk,
since some minority of Pit Bulls WILL exhibit
a bit of aggression transference.

:In my very limited experience with pits

:however, the pit appears to be so focused
:on it's opponent (for lack of a better term)
:it might be possible to insert the break stick
:but you would still have to be very strong.

No, a properly placed breakstick confers
great mechanical advantage. I'm not suggesting
that this is an effortless endeavor. It isn't.
But it doesn't by a long shot require great might.

:What I mean is, unlike other dogs that make

:several bites, these fellas tend to lock down
:for extended periods and rip, giving you the
:opportunity to get in with the break stick, correct?

Well, let's avoid the "lock" metaphor, which
has been a source of much confusion. But, yes,
Pit Bulls have a powerful bite and HOLD drive,
and it is this drive that breaksticks were
invented to deal with. They enable one to
literally pry a focussed dog with a strong
bite and hold drive off another dog (or
hog or whatever). They aren't meant for
any other scenario.

Bill

Feb 19, 2001, 9:40:14 AM2/19/01
In article <20010216214732...@ng-fy1.aol.com>,
schwa...@aol.comerase (Schwalm911) wrote:

> >Try a breaking stick!

> All expert advice says do not attempt to break up a dog fight.

Your expert is an idiot. 2 people with one breaking stick each, can break
apart 2 pits, if done correctly, in about 10 seconds. with little to no
damage.
I would much rather stop 2 pits fighting then 2 collies or labs. Pit
bulls are focused on fighting each other, where other dogs are going to
bite whatever the hell they can.

Elizabeth Naime

Feb 19, 2001, 11:41:26 AM2/19/01
Kirk Belanger (kirk.b...@sympatico.ca) wrote:

> In my very limited experience with pits however, the pit appears to be
> so focused on it's opponent (for lack of a better term) it might be
> possible to insert the break stick but you would still have to be very
> strong.

Remember the bit about a lever long enough and a place to stand? In a
contest of strength vs. intelligently applied leverage, leverage WILL win.

Elizabeth

Jeff X

Mar 6, 2001, 5:55:50 PM3/6/01
I was amazed at the number of replies recommending
shooting the dog with a pistol as it attacked.

This is not a good recommendation, especially in a
residential neighborhood. There is a significant
risk of injury to parties other than the attacking
dog, for several reasons: One, it is difficult to
accurately hit a rapidly moving target with a
pistol. Two, the likelihood of the bullet missing
or passing through the animal and hitting someone
else is prominent. Three, ricochets kill and
injure people, too. A friend of mine, a crack
shot, is blind in one eye as a result of a bullet
fragment that ricocheted off a tree that served as
backdrop for a target. Four, waving a pistol
around in an urban area can inflame the human
element of the situation and get you shot as well.

If firearm were the best choice, which it is not,
a shotgun would be the least dangerous to human
life. It could be first discharged into the air
to scare off the charging dog; then, if necessary,
directed at the attacking dog. The pellet spread
makes missing less likely than with other
firearms, and the range is short, so neighbors a
block away are unlikely to be killed.

I would suggest heavy duty "bear spray" with a 20'
blast range. Anything that has proven successful
at stopping a 1000 pound charging grizzly ought to
prove damn effective against a dog. The boat horn
(compressed air) and the cattle prod sound like
good deterrents also.

Jeff

gijo...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2015, 4:33:49 PM11/3/15
On Saturday, February 10, 2001 at 7:34:32 AM UTC-8, Stephanie wrote:
> jfrc...@aol.com (John F Richardson) wrote:
> >:There was NO OTHER CHOICE but to put
> >:the dog down.
> >
> >Yes, the other choice was getting the
> >dog off the hog the correct and humane
> >way.
> >
> >JohnR
> >Pit Bull Libertarian
>
> Last posting on this subject:
> With all due respect, sir, YOU were not there and canot make that
> judgement.

I'm with you Stephanie! The best Pitt Bull is a DEAD Pitt Bull!

Please, "Pit Bull Libertarian"? If I had my way I'd take them all, throw them in a pit and burn them! I found this thread because this morning a Pitt jumped out of it's car's backseat and tore after my dog as we were walking on leash in the park for our morning exercise. Normally I am quite aware of my surroundings but I cannot be expected to monitor idiot Pitt Bull owners and their beasts while in an unsecured car. Luckily my Sheltie used her herding skills to dodge that monster. I was, by the grace of God, able to grab that piece of crap just before it bit my baby. We were both shaken but chose to continue our walk and our day as normally as we could.

I realize there exists an occasional Pitt that may pass that test mentioned above in the thread, but don't go acting like backyard breeding is the only problem with this breed. One turned on my neighbor and bit her and almost lost complete function of her hand. You don't hear repeated stories about dog attacks from most dogs, not even other aggressive breeds like Rots or Dobermans. This is a Pitt trait. Known for intentionally attacking humans, kids, and dogs.

I won't walk around with a cattle prod, but I will walk around with my large switch blade with it's 4-5" blade. I will stab the next monster that attempts to lay it's paws on my baby till it's permanently maimed or DEAD!

Take that Pit Bull Libertarian and all you other stupid Pitt Bull fanatics!

katiej...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2018, 12:53:52 PM11/26/18
It's 2018 now. What's your view on pittbulls now?

jaely...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2020, 6:44:07 AM6/30/20
Thank you