Chow-Chow puppies

1 view

Sunshine

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Does anyone know where I can purchase a AKC Chow-
Chow puppy?
I am looking for a black or blue male.
Thanks,
Sher
sh...@atomic.net

May JESUS CHRIST & GOD bless you and your
families now and forever.

Margaret DiCorleto

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
Hello,

You don't say where you are or if you have any experience with Chows, etc.
so I suggest you try www.chowchows.com as a source of good information. I
always recommend folks go to a dog show as one way to meet breeders. There
are often Chow puppies in rescue and in shelters who need good homes.

ElizabethK

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
On Sat, 04 Mar 2000 22:35:18 GMT, "Sunshine" <suns...@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can purchase a AKC Chow-
>Chow puppy?
>I am looking for a black or blue male.
>Thanks,
>Sher

Sher,
If you are looking for a healthy well bred pet or show dog, then start
going to shows in your area and go early and after the Chow classes
are over, talk to the breeders or those showing. This is the best
place to meet people. If there is a C.C. club in your area - join it.
If you are interested in rescue there are loads of Chows in rescue in
some area.
C.California has many Chows being put to death daily and rescues are
full. Many are breeding and few finding homes. Whole litters are being
dumped and you see as many Chows loose on the streets as Pit Bulls
these days and it's a shame for both breeds.
Many Chow mixes available too.
Liz

gregh

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00

"Margaret DiCorleto" <chowmo...@dicorleto.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> You don't say where you are or if you have any experience with Chows, etc.

I dont know if it is always that which is the best though it is a GREAT help
naturally. When I got my first Chow so long ago, I didnt know much about
them and didnt know they had blue tongues even. I found out in quick order
however and I cant really think of a life without them ever since. Right now
my Tabitha (AKA Rotten Dog for her practical jokes) and OB (pronounced OHBEE
and short for Oberon AKA Mr. Caring and sharing for his obvious concern for
us all, even our old Persian, Gizmo) are asleep on the floor behind me. I
know, though, that if I get up, I will have OB, a blue, escort me wherever I
go and back again.

Honestly, all the breeder who sold me my first knew about me was that I have
a long hostory of dog loving, was sensitive to his Chow girl who was my
first's mother and her need to be protective of her litter so that I didnt
make any moves that would upset her and didnt touch the pups without her
being right beside me. It didnt tell him I knew squat about Chows though. So
how does a new - and eventually very good and loving - Chow owner get IN to
Chows without first being WITH one? I dont know any other way but to have
someone give you the chance.

--

Remove the anti-spammer stuff.

Margaret DiCorleto

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
I think most of us started out not knowing much, if anything, about our
breed, and fortunately we learn and share. But there are those who get a
dog because of the way it looks and have no idea how it is going to act or
how to train it properly and it doesn't work out and the dog gets dumped.
As you know, some dogs have different activity levels or trainability or
people interest, and it is good to know something of this before you make
what should be a very long commitment. This information can come from
talking to breeders and responsible owners and these people can be found at
shows or kennel club meetings. The AKC is a good resource for information.

I always advise people to become educated consumers--afterall you wouldn't
buy a car without knowing something about it. The same should apply to
getting a dog--will it fit into the person's life style, will it be the size
the person wants, etc.

Hope this provides some clarification re. where I was coming from.

Margaret
long time multiple Chow owner

gregh

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00

> I think most of us started out not knowing much, if anything, about our
> breed, and fortunately we learn and share. But there are those who get a
> dog because of the way it looks and have no idea how it is going to act or

Yes but that is what I am saying. At the time I decided to get another
"dog", I had moved homes and had only one Pommeranian left who had grown up
with my mother's dog as we lived with them. Now this poor little fella had a
whole yard to himself and no companionship during the day when we were at
work. My wife and I decided to look at Chows and Keeshond and Pommeranians
because we loved the LOOK of the Chow and Keeshond (at that time in my life,
they both looked about the same to me) and of course we had had Poms for
some time. I meticulously planned a route to drive so that we drove OUT to
the furthest breeder we were going to see and gradually made our way back,
seeing breeders, towards home. The first one I was going to see was a Chow
breeder and we were looking for a pet, not a show grade Chow. He had a
litter of 5, one of which he was keeping, 1 that was already spoken for by
someone else, a male and 2 females. We didnt know how clean Chows were, even
males, so we were after a female. We saw the male and the one female which
was there to see us but the other female was under the house. We were about
to leave when it stuck it's head out to look at us and looked for all the
world like a sunflower with it's large puppy mane but with a dog face in the
centre. My wife instantly fell in love with her and that was our first Chow.
I thought she was cute and was happy to have her, too but right at that
moment, she was another pup and that was it. Oh sure I would look after her
and come to love her, I knew but I didnt see her as anything different to
any other pup I had had in my life. Some months later, I realised that I was
laying on the floor with "a dog" with my arm over it and I couldnt resist
doing that every single night. It hit me that this wasnt just "a dog" to me
but the start of an addiction. ;-} I lost my heart to that girl and she took
part of it with her when she died and I hope the two of them are happy
together till I see her again. She ended up saving my life about 5 weeks
after she had died, too. However, when I first saw her, I knew nothing and
was sold her on the basis that I wanted her and that the guy could see the
pup would be well treated. How can you tell a person who hasnt experienced
and loved a Chow before, with words, what a Chow is? It just isnt all that
possible. You have to experience it. A friend of mine who was blind from
birth once said to me that she has no idea what "pink" is because she has no
way of experiencing it so it is impossible for anyone to explain it to her.
That is what a Chow relationship is, really. A thing to be experienced as it
isnt something you can really explain. Anyway, after all that, the guy sold
me the girl and I ended up finding out that this breed was something I
couldnt do without - therefore my addiction - but without someone willing to
give me a try, I would never have known.

> how to train it properly and it doesn't work out and the dog gets dumped.
> As you know, some dogs have different activity levels or trainability or
> people interest, and it is good to know something of this before you make
> what should be a very long commitment. This information can come from

You have to know - or somehow learn - that a person is a dog lover, first,
if they have never experienced Chow relationships. That is the start. The
next thing is to let them know just how headstrong a Chow can be and that
you CAN teach a Chow "come" but that not only does that mean it wont always
respond but that the Chow will actually turn it's back on you when it has a
mind to do so. I find that amusing but many people wouldnt. I am always
amazed that an animal that is dog shaped can decide things like this, work
out practical jokes to pull by itself or in tandem with another Chow, will
stare you in the eyes till it gets it's way if it is so inclined and yet
having never been taught English, can learn "Pull up a pew. I'm not getting
up any time soon" and resign itself to the fact that in me, it has met yet
anotehr stubborn Chow personality. I have had a Chow that knew what I wanted
it to do without me actually doing a movement or saying a word and was SO
obedient that she did it every single time. Most UN-Chowlike but a funny
difference. She even knew when Sunday was as we used to take them for a 4
mile walk Sunday to get the Sunday papers and she used to do a song and
dance about it when she knew we were moving in the house yet we hadnt gone
near their leads. She was never a mother but when a new pup was introduced
to her at the pup's 6 week old age, she did a song and dance like Snoopy
does/did and did little jumping prances each side of her with her front paws
only, to get the pup to follow her and as the pup grew, the games became a
little more rough. We had a stand of bushes that were thick and I didnt want
the pup in there but one day when I turned away, in there went the pup to
see the forbidden zone and I asked the girl to go get her so in she went and
out she came with the pup. Chows are individuals and dont all have to be the
same but some things, such as intelligence and headstrong ways are a more
common thing amongst them. I wouldnt want to have to guess if a person was
OK or not but if you CAN do that, know they will treat it right and know
that they realise the pup could get headstrong as it grows and they dont
mind that, then sure, it is worth the chance, IMHO, even if they have never
had Chows with them before. There are some people I have known who HAD Chows
who I would say shouldnt have them yet as a breeder once told me, she had a
leather wearing, scraggly but tough looking motorbike riding BIG guy come to
her house to ask about a Chow pup once and she was about to tell him no when
he saw a pup through the door and started talking to it like a new father to
a baby. She took a chance and let him in and he was so soft and gentle with
the pup and obviously loving. She told him to bring it back if there was any
trouble and she would give him every cent back and he tucked the pup inside
his jacket, got on his boke and rode off, leaving her feeling really
worried. A week later he came back to show her that he had put a sidecar on
his bike, had it covered in, the pup secured and was safe. He came back to
show her the pup every six months or so and she said that it was always
impeccably groomed with glossy coat and she knew he looked after it. So how
do you tell a good Chow owner if they have never had one before?

> talking to breeders and responsible owners and these people can be found
at
> shows or kennel club meetings. The AKC is a good resource for
information.

I understand that, too. I took my first girl to shows to learn more about
Chows and ask the experts if they forsaw any problems with her. She was an
open faced pet quality girl with good hips and never a sign of entropion. So
basically she had no readymade problems and that I learned from them. I also
learned, later when I began to show, a lot of things that were good and I
learned about the politics involved in show rings and kennel clubs, too. I
learned that there are good clubs and some that arent. I was never
interested in the politics. I love the breed and loved being at the show
ring for closer involvement with my own Chows. Nothing like getting there to
the show early, relaxing the Chow and knowing there is something like 90
minutes to go before you even have to give them a last brushing and settling
down with the Sunday papers or good book with a Chow either side of you, a
coffee and maybe a slice of bread, giving them a tony bit each. It can be SO
good so long as you are good at hiding from the politics. ;-}

> I always advise people to become educated consumers--afterall you wouldn't
> buy a car without knowing something about it. The same should apply to

Many people DO though! ;-}

> getting a dog--will it fit into the person's life style, will it be the
size
> the person wants, etc.

Of course. I saw a Chow pup at a pet shop once and the person trying to sell
it saying it would be about half the size it would be so I picked up a Chow
book on sale in their shop and put it in his hands and told him he was
wrong. "What would YOU know?" I got. "Oh, over 20 years having Chow" as it
was back then. He looked at me and I said that the size can vary a bit but I
generally say the dog is roughly Labrador sized just to give a person some
idea, rough though it is. The person wanting to buy wanted something
smaller. Pet shops..... I met one pet shop owner who was damned good at
selling pups, caring where they went, wanting to know about them as part of
the sales criteria, a few weeks later etc etc. I cant say that is normal of
pet shops I have known, though. BTW, I have never bred dogs or any other
animal.

> Hope this provides some clarification re. where I was coming from.

Fair enough. ;-}

> Margaret
> long time multiple Chow owner

Same here except my name isnt Margaret. ;-}

stuart

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
my mother is a chow breeder, she has a magazine and web site
on them...quite known in the chow world. www.livingchow.com
or www.chow-chows.com, there should be plenty of
information there, and also may help you in getting that
chow puppy that you would like. we have a blue chow and she
is wonderful, the best natured dogs that you can get, such a
sweetie. i do recommend her for her breedings she has come
a long way on information and care specialty in chow chows.
as to their healthist diets and needs, i hope that this can
be to your assistance...let us know if you would like any
more information that you can't find...

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

James Madison

Jan 15, 2023, 8:38:20 PM1/15/23
AVAILABLE NOW. REDUCED PRICE.CHOW CHOW PUPPIES FOR SALE*** 🤍

We have a stunning litter of chow chow puppies available to go to their forever homes. They have been raised to be very sociable and around lots of household noise. They are gorgeous little bundles of fur and love attention and cuddles. They will be excellent family pets and have also been socialized with children whilst growing up.

https://skychowchowhome.com/

We are small family breeders that specialize in raising the highest quality and confirmation of the Chow Chow breed. It is very important that trust and the health of puppies are met at a high standard when adopting a new family member

All puppies comes as
*KC registered
*5 weeks free insurance
*Vet Checked