good breed of dog for autistic child.

Cameron, Kevin [CAR:C01S-A:EXCH]

Jun 21, 2001, 12:25:48 PM6/21/01
hello all.

I am wondering if anyone would happen to know of a good breed for my
daughter who is autistic. We use to have a Sheltie, but it was 15 years
old, and well lets say it had to be put down. :-( Now my daughter want to
bring home every dog she sees. I was thinking on a Samoyed, Huskie or
Golden Retriever. (around this size of dog)

just asking for opinions.

Lori Reynolds

Jun 21, 2001, 1:18:18 PM6/21/01
When I was doing greyhound rescue, a family with an autistic girl about age
8 or 9 adopted a very nice female greyhound. They have told me repeatedly
what a wonderful job the dog has done with the child. In my opinion, this
was somewhat of a miracle story, like God actually chose the dog for the
family. The dog was brought to me by a family that looked rather destitute,
saying they got the dog from a friend of a friend that got her from a
racetrack, but she kept running away and they just couldn't keep her
anymore. After matching her up with the adoptive family, I felt like God
really had a hand in it. It was very touching to be involved with the
situation. When the dog arrived at my door, her name was something very odd
that started with J, I don't remember what it was, something I had never
heard before. I renamed her Joy, and the family says it has been a very
fitting name.

I've never heard of other greyhounds being good with autistic children, but
I'm sure a higher power will help you find what you need! Best wishes --
--
Lori in Peoria - Happy Hound Bakery at Happy Hound Hollow
~ Ask me about hound-sitting while you vacation! ~

"Cameron, Kevin [CAR:C01S-A:EXCH]" <came...@americasm01.nt.com> wrote in
message news:9gt736$p9j$1...@bcarh8ab.ca.nortel.com...

Cindy

Jun 21, 2001, 1:37:57 PM6/21/01
In article <9gt736$p9j$1...@bcarh8ab.ca.nortel.com>,

A lot of this will depend on the sort of child she is. I know
autistic children vary a lot, but one thing some of them do is hit the
dog (when they think they're petting it). They can be very rough
physically, again without really knowing it. If that is the case, you
might want to reconsider getting another dog.

That said, whatever dog you do get, needs lots of training and
supervision. That, more than anything else, will be the determiner of
how well the dog deals with an autistic (or any unpredictable) child.

--Cindy

Cameron, Kevin [CAR:C01S-A:EXCH]

Jun 21, 2001, 2:24:41 PM6/21/01
luckly she doesn't hit animals, and she does pet them very well. some hugs,
and kisses stuff like that, but she knows the difference between hitting
and petting.

"Cindy" <tit...@eris.io.com> wrote in message

Melinda Shore

Jun 21, 2001, 3:07:22 PM6/21/01
In article <9gte23$84t$1...@bcarh8ab.ca.nortel.com>,

Cameron, Kevin [CAR:C01S-A:EXCH] <came...@americasm01.nt.com> wrote:
>luckly she doesn't hit animals, and she does pet them very well. some hugs,
>and kisses stuff like that, but she knows the difference between hitting
>and petting.

Siberian Huskies are wonderful, wonderful dogs -
affectionate and family-oriented and endless amounts of fun.
They're a *lot* of work, though, and might not be suitable
for your home. Remember, this is a breed that developed
over many centuries for the purpose of pulling sleds all day
long. They require a tremendous amount of exercise
(we're currently doing about six miles/day and it's
marginally enough) and because they're so pack-oriented they
need to be with your family or another dog (or dogs!) almost
all the time. Without exercise and companionship they can
be extremely destructive. (Actually, with exercise and
companionship they can still be extremely destructive.)

They've got a high prey drive and are predisposed to killing
cats, rabbits, birds, pretty much anything small and edible.
They're highly independent, which can make them hard to
train, and that combined with their athleticism and an
extraordinary penchant for digging tends to make them escape
artists (it's pretty common to find Sibes that can clear six
foot fences with ease). You *cannot* let a Sibe roam -
aside from their predatory instincts, they're quite brave
and tend to be willing to take on cars, trucks, motorcycles,
cattle, moose, etc., and often end up on the losing end.
And the word "shed" fails to describe what happens with
their coats.

Lots of Siberians end up in rescue because 1) the owners
can't exercise them enough and the dogs destroy the house,
2) the owner can't deal with the shedding, 3) the owner
can't keep the dog contained (it keeps escaping), 4) the dog
killed the neighbor's {cat,goat,lamb,whatever} and the
neighbor is involving the police or animal control, and so
on.

On the other hand they really are friendly, affectionate,
goofy dogs with a positive attitude and a willingness to
tackle just about anything, and you simply cannot find
better exercise equipment anywhere.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - sh...@panix.com
If you send me harassing email, I'll probably post it

DaveRRCo

Jun 21, 2001, 3:13:25 PM6/21/01
Why not another Sheltie? I've had two for companions and IMHO they are of
wonderful temperment, intelligent, and easy to train.

Bill

Jun 21, 2001, 3:44:02 PM6/21/01
In article <9gt736$p9j$1...@bcarh8ab.ca.nortel.com>, "Cameron, Kevin

[CAR:C01S-A:EXCH]" <came...@americasm01.nt.com> wrote:

Go down to the local shelter and adopt an American Pit Bull Terrier that
has been temperment tested. They can withstand all the pain that a child
will inflict on them and come back with 100 times more love than you can
imagin. And don't believe everything you hear on the radio and TV about
them. They really are wonderful dogs and don't deserve the bad rap that
they have gotten.

Punish the deed, not the breed.

APBT Pride

Jun 21, 2001, 4:56:25 PM6/21/01
Or, at the very least, buy one from a reputable, responsible breeder (and
remember, not all reputable breeders are responsible, but all responsible
breeders tend to be reputable). But all in all a well bred, well socialized
American Pit Bull Terrier is a good way to go when it comes to family
companions, assuming you do all of your homework before you buy.

>Subject: Re: good breed of dog for autistic child.
>From: thec...@hotmail.com (Bill)
>Date: 6/21/01 12:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Let the BIG DOGS out to e-mail me!

Bill

Jun 21, 2001, 5:42:34 PM6/21/01
In article <3b41af55...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net>,
chikc...@win.mc.edu wrote:

Hey hey, a bellsouth troll.

> Kevin,

FYI I have 3 children (all boys) and the middle one is autistic. All of my
dogs just happen to like him the most (i guess cause whatever he is
eating, they are eating also).

> Don't listen to these fools trying to talk you into adopting, of all
> things, a pit bull. Even if you're lucky to get one that's okay with
> kids, pit bulls were bred to maim and kill other dogs, and that's just
> exactly what they will do if one of your daughters friends just
> happens to bring her own pet dog over for a visit. That's the last
> thing your autistic child needs , watching the trauma of a pit bull
> mauling another dog to death right in front of her.
>
> By the way, 3 of these "sweet" and "loving" pit bulls just ripped a
> kid's face off in Oakland CA yesterday. Here is the link to the news
> story:
> http://www.oaklandtribune-ang.com/S-ASP-BIN/REF/Index.ASP?PUID=490&Indx=936302

The only fools I know are the ones who classify a breed (or group of
anything) by the doings of a few, and I stress few, of the individuals of
the breed (or whatever). So a hispanic man stole my neighbors car stereo,
lets put all hispanic men in jail. You are an idiot. I will guarente that
your cocker will bite me before my pit bull bites you.

Go crawl back under your rock, troll.

EmilyS

Jun 21, 2001, 6:06:37 PM6/21/01
A properly bred AmStaff, American Pit Bull Terrier or Staffordshire
Bull Terrier (or one carefully selected for you by a reputable
rescue)is likely to be extremely loving to a child and extremely
UNLIKELY to bite even if the child does hit him. But Cindy's advice
holds of course.

EmilyS

Jeff Harper

Jun 21, 2001, 6:45:12 PM6/21/01
Kevin,

Here is a carefully compiled list based mostly on
expert resources and some personal
observation/experience. There are a lot to choose
from, so for the dog's sake, choose one that fits
with your family's lifestyle and living
environment.

All below are generalizations. Individuals vary.
Females are generally more submissive/less
aggressive. Puppy mill dogs have less certain
temperament (you don't know what you are getting).

AVOID:
1. greyhounds (contrary to indications from this
group, greyhounds have a low "sociability with
children" ranking)
2. terriers, including the american pit bull
terrier
3. breeds not on my below list unless you research
them, as there are many others not recommended for
children, including chows

My TOP SIX recommendations in order:

1. golden retriever (highly soc. with everybody,
esp. kids; versatile; smart; obedient)

2. newfoundland (soc. with everybody, smart,
obedient, gentle, huge, low energy indoors, high
energy outdoors, cold weather dog)

3. bernese mountain dog
(wonderful with kids, standoffish with strangers;
low indoor activity; high outdoor activity; cold
weather dog; cold weather dog)

4. samoyed (great with kids; high energy indoors
and out; cold weather dog)

5. standard poodle [the big poodle]
(very good with kids, big dog, extremely
intelligent, obedient, versatile)

6. bloodhound (very soc. with everyone; low
energy indoors; high energy outdoors; strong
tendency to wander off following a scent)

Other med/large dogs with reputation for being
"outstanding" with children (in no particular
order):
collie
old english sheepdog (not puppy mill variety)
boxer
scottish deerhound
otter hound
irish wolfhound
harrier
foxhound
visla
field spaniel
springer spaniel
brittany
irish setter
gordon setter
english setter
labrador retriever
flat coated retriever
chesapeake bay retriever
english bulldog

Good luck,

Jeff
jeff#doplay.com

"Cameron, Kevin [CAR:C01S-A:EXCH]"

Robin Nuttall

Jun 21, 2001, 6:46:05 PM6/21/01

> Kevin, no matter what these pit bull apologists claim, the FACT is
> that pit bulls are responsible for more human DEATHS through mauling
> than ANY other breed in this country. Period. And most of the victims
> have been children.

CAPITALIZING something doesn't MAKE it TRUE. Check the latest study by
that oh so radical organization, the Centers for Disease Control:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbite.htm

> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice. They are great
> with kids and usually love to swim and play fetch which kids enjoy
> doing with a dog. Also, with a lab your daughter can take it almost
> anywhere, even off-leash to parks, beach, camping etc without worrying
> about it killing another dog like a pit bull would.

And labs can be almost impossibly hyper as puppies. They are extremely
high energy, and also are very mouth oriented. A lab might hurt a child
accidently just through exuberance.

> Good luck in your choice and ignore the nasty pit bull element here.

Gee, and here I was thinking the only person who was being nasty about
pit bulls here was you!

Cindy

Jun 21, 2001, 6:56:13 PM6/21/01
In article <YNuY6.1854$9X2.2...@dfiatx1-snr1.gtei.net>,

Jeff Harper <je...@doplay.removethistext.com> wrote:
>6. bloodhound (very soc. with everyone; low
>energy indoors; high energy outdoors; strong
>tendency to wander off following a scent)

I have met very few families who could deal with owning a Bloodhound.
IME, these dogs are just too much for most families -- they're way
big, they can drag a small SUV behind them when hot on a trail, and
their spit can peel paint.

--Cindy

Cindy

Jun 21, 2001, 6:58:21 PM6/21/01
In article <3b43c577...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net>,
<chikc...@win.mc.edu> wrote:

>Robin Nuttall <rob...@home.com> wrote:
>
>>> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice. They are great
>>> with kids and usually love to swim and play fetch which kids enjoy
>>> doing with a dog. Also, with a lab your daughter can take it almost
>>> anywhere, even off-leash to parks, beach, camping etc without worrying
>>> about it killing another dog like a pit bull would.
>>
>>And labs can be almost impossibly hyper as puppies. They are extremely
>>high energy, and also are very mouth oriented. A lab might hurt a child
>>accidently just through exuberance.
>>>

>What part of "well-bred, from calm lines" didn't you understand?

Well, and even calm well-bred lab puppies can do a wiggle bounce that
will take out most small children in the way. I disagree with the
characterization of "hyper" Robin used, but that's probably because
we're using it in different senses. I'd agree heartily with the "high
energy" description -- even with well bred ones.

--Cindy

Jeff Harper

Jun 21, 2001, 7:05:47 PM6/21/01
After doing a little research on autism, I have to
say that my list geared toward matching dogs with
children and households with children, and is not
specialized enough for what you need. I am not
qualified to recommend dog breeds for an autistic
child. I suggest you use my whole list as a
starting point, and narrow down based on your
knowledge of your child.

I also neglected to tell you that golden
retrievers, especially young ones, are generally
energetic indoors (med. to high energy indoors).

Best wishes,

Jeff
jeff#doplay.com

"Jeff Harper" <je...@doplay.removethistext.com>
wrote in message
.

Jeff Harper

Jun 21, 2001, 7:12:07 PM6/21/01
I also neglected to put huskies on the list. They
are very social with kids and everyone else. They
also are very high energy indoors and outdoors,
and are cold weather dogs.

J.

wrote in message
.

Jeff Harper

Jun 21, 2001, 7:26:32 PM6/21/01
One interesting CDC statistic unrelated to this
bickering but probably of interest to the original
poster is that 70 to 76% of dog bites involve
"intact" (unneutered) males.

Jeff
jeff#doplay.com

"Robin Nuttall" <rob...@home.com> wrote in
message news:3B327983...@home.com...

Ken M.

Jun 21, 2001, 7:37:03 PM6/21/01
Robin Nuttall wrote:

> > Kevin, no matter what these pit bull apologists claim, the FACT is
> > that pit bulls are responsible for more human DEATHS through mauling
> > than ANY other breed in this country. Period. And most of the victims
> > have been children.

> CAPITALIZING something doesn't MAKE it TRUE. Check the latest study by
> that oh so radical organization, the Centers for Disease Control:
>
> http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbite.htm

I was once (*)attacked by a female bit bull. I was visiting my
friends in Baltimore and their dog had puppies about 2 weeks
earlier. Mother was a pit bull. She was in the dining room as
the puppies were feeding off her, and some of the children were
walking around with a few of the puppies. I was a little reluctant
to even enter the house because I didn't want to upset the mother.
One of the small children placed a puppy in my lap and walked away
and when the mother dog saw this is jumped up, ran towards me,
and lunged on top of me! She was kissing me so much I could
hardly catch my breath! I was traumatized! be careful!

(ken)

(*) Kisses!

diddy

Jun 21, 2001, 7:47:10 PM6/21/01
Based on your past comments, The pitbull mother had good taste!

Lori Reynolds

Jun 21, 2001, 9:58:14 PM6/21/01
"Jeff Harper" <je...@doplay.removethistext.com> wrote in message
> AVOID:
> 1. greyhounds (contrary to indications from this group, greyhounds have a
low "sociability with children" ranking)<

Where did you get your statistics on this breed to make this comment? Ever
been to a greyhound farm and seen the trainers children taking naps in the
crates with the dogs?

A good greyhound rescue group is very careful about profiling dogs and
"kid-testing" them, matching them to the applicant's needs. I'm certainly
not necessarily recommending them in this particular situation, but my post
in this thread was simply to relay a very touching, heart-warming experience
with a greyhound and an autistic child.

Rocky

Jun 21, 2001, 10:21:14 PM6/21/01
"Lori Reynolds" <lorire...@home.com> wrote in

> I'm certainly
> not necessarily recommending them in this particular
> situation, but my post in this thread was simply to relay a
> very touching, heart-warming experience with a greyhound and
> an autistic child.

That was clear to me, Lori. I have a hard time understanding
how it wasn't taken as such.

The 2 Greyhounds that I know seem comfortable with people of all
sizes and are amazingly (sorry - it was a surprise) mellow.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

BRoseZ2

Jun 22, 2001, 12:25:00 AM6/22/01
are you crazy? My God there is nothing but tragedies happening with these big
mean ugly dogs and children or any human being.
Sorry but, that's the way I feel. I have two grandson 6yr old with Down
Syndrome and 4 yrs with possible Aspergers Autism. I would not trust any big
dog with them or me.
I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers and they are buggers enough.

BarbZ

Rocky

Jun 22, 2001, 12:36:08 AM6/22/01
bro...@cs.com (BRoseZ2) wrote in

[reacting to Emily's position on APBTs and Staffies]

I don't find APBTs or Staffies particularly large, but each to
their own.

Personally, I'd never leave any small child alone with any dog.
And certainly not a Jack Russell Terrier.

APBT Pride

Jun 22, 2001, 12:59:16 AM6/22/01
Don't even get me started with Asperger's Syndrome (which tends to be high
functioning at the very least, or as in my case, extremely high functioning to
the point where you'd have to know what you're looking for and BE looking for
it in order to find it) or Pit Bulls. I have both. Enough said.

>Subject: Re: good breed of dog for autistic child.

>From: bro...@cs.com (BRoseZ2)
>Date: 6/21/01 9:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Bill

Jun 22, 2001, 9:01:36 AM6/22/01
In article <3b42be92...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net>,
chikc...@win.mc.edu wrote:

> thec...@hotmail.com (Bill) wrote:
>
> >The only fools I know are the ones who classify a breed (or group of
> >anything) by the doings of a few, and I stress few, of the individuals of
> >the breed (or whatever).
>

> Kevin, no matter what these pit bull apologists claim, the FACT is
> that pit bulls are responsible for more human DEATHS through mauling
> than ANY other breed in this country. Period. And most of the victims
> have been children.

And where are you getting these stats from? I'd like to take a look at them.

> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice. They are great
> with kids and usually love to swim and play fetch which kids enjoy
> doing with a dog. Also, with a lab your daughter can take it almost
> anywhere, even off-leash to parks, beach, camping etc without worrying
> about it killing another dog like a pit bull would.
>

> Good luck in your choice and ignore the nasty pit bull element here.

Not like the black labs around me that try to kill everyone they see. But
you know what, I don't label a breed by the ones that are nasty. The only
nasty element here is you troll.

Bill

Jun 22, 2001, 9:05:08 AM6/22/01
In article <3B32851F...@ix.netcom.com>, "Ken M."
<pob...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Exactly. They are all killers and should be put to sleep (mine like the
couch when i'm not looking)

Amanda Tikkanen

Jun 22, 2001, 9:02:22 AM6/22/01

BRoseZ2 <bro...@cs.com> wrote in message

> are you crazy? My God there is nothing but tragedies happening with these
big
> mean ugly dogs and children or any human being.

Ugly??? not getting into the mean or tragedies waiting to happen (I have
NEVER met a mean pit bull and I have met a LOT of them- closest was a
male-aggressive one barking a little at my male puppy from 50' away) but
UGLY???

Tell that to the judges at the UKC Premier this year-- Saturday's Reserve
Best in Show was a male APBT "GRCH'PR' Larum's Lazer Luxor". Second place
for terrier puppies? A female ABPT "Kannos B'aires Truth To Be Told".

Means the puppy beat ALL the other APBT puppies and all the terrier puppies
(including Jacks) except one... and the Male beat EVERY OTHER DOG THERE
minus a Siberian Husky Puppy who was the Siberian BoB. I was there and saw
some AWESOME dogs (including GRCH Skyhigh's Skylar- a HOT Catahoula. A
friend just had pups out of Skyhigh blood and they are GORGEOUS).

-Amanda
http://uberpest.50megs.com

Bill

Jun 22, 2001, 9:06:59 AM6/22/01
In article <Xns90C7E579BA89au...@130.133.1.4>,
australia...@cadvision.com (Rocky) wrote:

Ditto. Those little things are wicked. Talk about hyper.

Shelties Own Our Home

Jun 22, 2001, 9:29:48 AM6/22/01
I believe they were surpassed last year by Rotts and Rott mixes....I will try
to find my source for that info today. But ya know, Pits never come in mixes :
) People/dogs are only ever attacked by purebred Pits <g>

Robby Johnson

Jun 22, 2001, 9:37:47 AM6/22/01
Kevin:

Is your daughter currently doing "dog therapy" with a therapist? I might
investigate 2-3x per week sessions with a care dog before I got a dog and
tried to do therapy with it with your daughter.

Robby

Bill

Jun 22, 2001, 9:40:02 AM6/22/01
In article <20010622092948...@ng-mq1.aol.com>,

vinn...@aol.comnojunk (Shelties Own Our Home) wrote:

> I believe they were surpassed last year by Rotts and Rott mixes....I will try
> to find my source for that info today. But ya know, Pits never come in mixes :
> ) People/dogs are only ever attacked by purebred Pits <g>

Can I get an amen.

Cameron, Kevin [CAR:C01S-A:EXCH]

Jun 22, 2001, 10:44:12 AM6/22/01
I would like to thank you all for helping me in this matter. Some of the
breeds I have never heard of. And I know I will probably annoy all the Pit
Bull lovers online, but they just seem to be to dangerous. I realize they
could be cute and loving and all, but I just cant take a chance with my
loved ones. (sorry guys).

but once again thank for everyone's input

"Rocky" <australia...@cadvision.com> wrote in message

Rocky

Jun 22, 2001, 11:20:27 AM6/22/01

> And I know I will probably annoy all the Pit
> Bull lovers online, but they just seem to be to dangerous.
> I realize they could be cute and loving and all, but I just
> cant take a chance with my loved ones.

Do you know the British nickname for a Pit Bull?

Nanny Dog.

Bill

Jun 22, 2001, 11:41:19 AM6/22/01
In article <3b33ae05...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net>,
championth...@horse.com (Kent Shaw) wrote:

> thec...@hotmail.com (Bill) wrote:
>
> >> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice. They are great
> >> with kids and usually love to swim and play fetch which kids enjoy
> >> doing with a dog. Also, with a lab your daughter can take it almost
> >> anywhere, even off-leash to parks, beach, camping etc without worrying
> >> about it killing another dog like a pit bull would.
> >>
> >> Good luck in your choice and ignore the nasty pit bull element here.
> >
> >Not like the black labs around me that try to kill everyone they see. But
> >you know what, I don't label a breed by the ones that are nasty. The only
> >nasty element here is you troll.
>

> Another person with a reading comprehension problem. What part of
> didn't YOU understand either?

Buddy, please tell me how many of these puppies from your 'well bred and
calm lines' have you seen sleep all day and not jump and mouth and play
like champs. I'll like to know. NONE.
Please point me to breeders of these "well bred from calm lines" so I can
see these calm puppies.

Another person who knows jack about what he's talking about.

Andrea J Chee

Jun 22, 2001, 11:37:10 AM6/22/01
In article <Xns90C7CE9B280FFau...@130.133.1.4>, Rocky
<australia...@cadvision.com> writes

>The 2 Greyhounds that I know seem comfortable with people of all
>sizes and are amazingly (sorry - it was a surprise) mellow.

They're like that. That 'couch potato' nickname is no accident. My pack
could win gold medals for dozing. Sometimes it looks like I've just
taken a pile of dead dogs and tossed them in the air letting them land
all over the living room - there will be heads hanging off the edge of
the couch or upside-down dogs curled up so their necks look broken and
with legs sticking out all over the place.

My lot have always been fine with kids, even though none of them were
raised with children around. The only time any one of mine has even said
anything to a child was when an uncontrolled toddler (severely
uncontrolled - mother currently being investigated for neglect) landed
with a thud on top of my arthritic old boy with the sore shoulder. The
old boy told him off but didn't bite. Personally, I found that quite
reasonable under the circumstances!

No kid should be left alone with a dog, and under supervision greyhounds
(and many other breeds) are more than suitable. The advantage that folks
over there in the US have is that many greyhounds have been through the
rescue system and have been fostered, so it's easy enough to find a dog
that has met kids and had their response assessed.

- ANDREA

--
Get PAID for the emails you already send and receive!
http://www.mailround.com/ Referrer: and...@bloodaxe.com

Dreamspinner3

Jun 22, 2001, 11:57:24 AM6/22/01
Not all "pit" bulls are mean animals that attack without cause. It is only
the poorly bred, poorly trained, abused animals that are like that.

"BRoseZ2" <bro...@cs.com> wrote in message

> are you crazy? My God there is nothing but tragedies happening with these

Dreamspinner3

Jun 22, 2001, 12:30:00 PM6/22/01
<chikc...@win.mc.edu> wrote in message

> Kevin, no matter what these pit bull apologists claim, the FACT is
> that pit bulls are responsible for more human DEATHS through mauling
> than ANY other breed in this country. Period. And most of the victims
> have been children.

Where are you getting your facts & figures?

> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice.

Ha! Two houses down from me is a very mean dog who happens to be a Lab. He
has attacked other dogs in the neighborhood and has chashed both adults &
children who were on foot or on bikes. Animal Control has been out to the
owner's home several times and they have even taken the dog twice that I
know of but he has always been returned to his owners. Apparently he hasn't
done anything serious enough YET to warranty being put down. Animal Control
does consider him a dangerous dog and he must be kept leashed & muzzled at
all times. However, his owners are idiots who let both the Lab & their
other dog who is also mean run loose ONLY after Animal Control closes and
they know the neighbors cannot call & turn them in. Sure, we can call the
police department but they tell us that dogs running loose and barking are a
low priority and they'll send someone out "later".

> They are great with kids and usually love to swim and play fetch which
kids enjoy
> doing with a dog. Also, with a lab your daughter can take it almost
> anywhere, even off-leash to parks, beach, camping etc without worrying
> about it killing another dog like a pit bull would.

No young child should take a dog anywhere off leash, period, IMHO. IF the
dog is well-trained and IF it is with an adult or OLDER children who the dog
will obey AND they are in an area that allows dogs to be off-leash, THEN it
MIGHT be okay.

ANY dog of ANY breed or mixed-breed can be mean and aggressive towards
humans and/or other dogs. I have met "pit" bulls that are the sweetest
things I've ever met (besides my own dogs) and I've encountered Labs that
were meaner than shit toward everyone & everything I am not saying a "pit"
bull terrier would be the best dog for an autistic child, however, to say
that all dogs that are considered "pit" bulls are mean & vicious is as
stupid as saying that all Labs are great with kids.

EmilyS

Jun 22, 2001, 1:02:56 PM6/22/01
Of course you must make the decision that is right for you and your
family. Though I think a properly selected APBT/AST/SBT would be an
appropriate breed choice, I am by no means urging you to consider
anything you are uncomfortable with.

But do think about what you have said here and how you make your
decisions.
Surely you know that to some people, you son too "seems to be
dangerous"?

EmilyS

Jeff Harper

Jun 22, 2001, 1:54:42 PM6/22/01
Let us know what dog you end up with. I don't
read every post, so an email to me would be much
appreciated. Just change the "#" to an "@":
jeff#doplay.com.

Jeff

"Cameron, Kevin [CAR:C01S-A:EXCH]"

Jeff Harper

Jun 22, 2001, 2:05:23 PM6/22/01
Lori,

There are certainly many greyhounds that are truly
wonderful with children. I wanted the OP to know
that *in general* they are not considered good
with children.

I am sorry if I appeared to slight you in any way.
I admire you for working to rescue dogs. I also
recognize you were being helpful when you wrote
your response to the OP.

Jeff
jeff#doplay.com

"Lori Reynolds" <lorire...@home.com> wrote in

message
com...

Bill

Jun 22, 2001, 2:08:36 PM6/22/01
Yes, please do. By no means should you adopt or buy a dog that you feel
uncomfortable with, but on the other hand, don't let all these people that
are telling you pit bulls are man eaters stop you from maybe visting a
shelter or reputible breeder and seeing for yourself. Good luck with your
search.

In article <BDLY6.651$R96.1...@paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>, "Jeff Harper"

dianne marie schoenberg

Jun 22, 2001, 2:02:29 PM6/22/01
Ken M. <pob...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>She was kissing me so much I could hardly catch my breath!
>I was traumatized! be careful!

:-)

Dianne

Message has been deleted

Bill

Jun 22, 2001, 3:38:52 PM6/22/01
In article <3b34e253...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net>,
championth...@horse.com (Kent Shaw) wrote:

> "Dreamspinner3" <dreams...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice.
> >
> >Ha! Two houses down from me is a very mean dog who happens to be a Lab. He
> >has attacked other dogs in the neighborhood and has chashed both adults &
> >children who were on foot or on bikes.
>

> Yet another person with a reading comprehension problem. What part of
> "well bred from calm lines" didn't YOU understand either?

But yet you have failed to state any of these lines or breeders. AND, how
the hell do you know that these mean dogs didn't come from those lines,
all knowing being?

Dreamspinner3

Jun 22, 2001, 3:45:38 PM6/22/01
Thanks Bill!

"Bill" <thec...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dreamspinner3

Jun 22, 2001, 3:46:10 PM6/22/01
Kent, I see you're posting through Bell South...you must be the famous Bell
South Troll I've heard so much about!

"Kent Shaw" <championth...@horse.com> wrote in message

> "Dreamspinner3" <dreams...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice.
> >
> >Ha! Two houses down from me is a very mean dog who happens to be a Lab.
He
> >has attacked other dogs in the neighborhood and has chashed both adults &
> >children who were on foot or on bikes.

Shelties Own Our Home

Jun 22, 2001, 6:10:33 PM6/22/01
Thanks : )
That was the exact study. Glad you were able to locate it.

>See:
>

>http://www.medscape.com/govmt/CDC/MMWR/1997/may/4621/4621.2/4621.2.html#T
ABLE.1

Borzoi Mommy

Jun 22, 2001, 7:41:51 PM6/22/01
Don't you imagine that there are Pit Bulls from well-bred calm lines too?
They are not all junkyard dogs, ya know. Good grief!

Borzoi Mommy

P.S. I'd love to see a "calm" Lab puppy! Go to alt.pets.dogs.labrador and
listen to all the Lab owners from *good* lines and otherwise talk about
their spastic Lab puppies! Most say the spastic stage lasts for a couple of
years.

"Kent Shaw" <championth...@horse.com> wrote in message
> "Dreamspinner3" <dreams...@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> >> A well-bred lab from calm lines might be a good choice.
> >
> >Ha! Two houses down from me is a very mean dog who happens to be a Lab.
He
> >has attacked other dogs in the neighborhood and has chashed both adults &
> >children who were on foot or on bikes.

Borzoi Mommy

Jun 22, 2001, 7:43:07 PM6/22/01
Hey! Don't generalize! Not all of us from Bellsouth are trolls! :-)

Borzoi Mommy

"Dreamspinner3" <dreams...@gmx.net> wrote in message

BRoseZ2

Jun 23, 2001, 1:01:35 AM6/23/01
>Surely you know that to some people, you son too "seems to be
>dangerous"?
>
>EmilyS

Low blow for a person to cut down a child
over a lowly animal as a dog.
Bad lady.

BarbZ

Shelly

Jun 23, 2001, 10:21:09 AM6/23/01
australia...@cadvision.com (Rocky) wrote in message news:<Xns90C7E579BA89au...@130.133.1.4>...

> bro...@cs.com (BRoseZ2) wrote in
>
> [reacting to Emily's position on APBTs and Staffies]
>
> > are you crazy? My God there is nothing but tragedies
> > happening with these big mean ugly dogs and children or any
> > human being. Sorry but, that's the way I feel. I have two
> > grandson 6yr old with Down Syndrome and 4 yrs with possible
> > Aspergers Autism. I would not trust any big dog with them
> > or me. I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers and they are buggers
> > enough.
>
> I don't find APBTs or Staffies particularly large, but each to
> their own.
>
> Personally, I'd never leave any small child alone with any dog.
> And certainly not a Jack Russell Terrier.

Agreed, Matt! I find myself watching way more snappish &
bite-aggressive small dogs than larger ones.
I'd trust a child to crawl all over Guiness before I'd let them in
the same room with some of the smaller breeds I've seen.
Shelly (Only bitten twice--a Cocker and a Chi), Coda
& Guiness (Two big dogs who've never bitten anyone--but have never been
left alone w/ kids either)...

Leah

Jun 24, 2001, 2:03:16 AM6/24/01
>chikc...@win.mc.edu wrote:
>Kevin, no matter what these pit bull apologists claim, the FACT is
>that pit bulls are responsible for more human DEATHS through mauling
>than ANY other breed in this country.

IF that's true, then it's quite obvious to anybody with functioning brain cells
WHY.

If John Q. Macho wants to get a dog to train to be mean, he's going to be dumb
enough to believe all the media hype and go for a pit bull. Then he's going to
abuse the dog, since that's about the only way you can get a dog who is
SPECIALLY BRED TO BE FRIENDLY TO HUMANS (like a pit bull) to get mean.

Such a person is not likely to be responsible enough to care for his dog
properly. In fact, only irresponsible people let their dogs - mean or not -
run free in areas where there is traffic and other people.

Now, how many of these stories about pit bull deaths - IF the dogs in question
were, in fact, pit bulls, since it's been shown time and time again that the
media will call just about any biting dog a pit bull - occurred to members of
the dog's family? Any? And how many could be traced back to the very scenario
I just painted? All?

Twenty years or so ago, the "pariah" dog was a doberman. Media hysteria
created a picture of dobies similar to what it's now done to pit bulls. And
again, stupid people who wanted a "mean" dog would get one, abuse it, and let
it run free. And then every story you read about a "killer dog" was a
doberman.

It's not the breed. It's the owner. Every time.

Pit bulls make great family pets. Yes, they have to be closely monitored
around other dogs. That IS a fact of the breed. But unless they've been
abused enough to go against their very nature, the breed is more likely to
smother people with kisses than bite them.

Learn How to Can Spam
http://www.whew.com/Spammers/reportspam_stepbystep.shtml
http://www.spamfree.org/
WHITE HAT OF THE MONTH - Nominate At: http://www.whitehat.com/whotm/
Internet Secrets, 2nd Edition, by John Levine (All About Spam, p. 277)

Lynn K.

Jun 24, 2001, 10:42:40 AM6/24/01
"Jeff Harper" <je...@doplay.removethistext.com> wrote in message news:
> There are a lot to choose
> from, so for the dog's sake, choose one that fits
> with your family's lifestyle and living
> environment.

Well, I can certainly agree with that, but some of you
other comments really puzzle me. I, too, wouldn't
recommend terriers with an autistic child, or herding
breeds either (even though we have a great GSD rescue
fosterer with an autistic son). The movement/prey drive
thing. But Greyhounds and other sighthounds can be a
very good choice. I'm astounded by your recommendation
of Std. Poodles and Bloodhounds because of the physical
energy and strength of young dogs of either breed. I
certainly wouldn't recommend a BH to a family who hadn't
lived with one before and knew exactly what they are like.

Lynn K.

Brett & Rebekah Trigg

Jun 24, 2001, 3:34:27 PM6/24/01
I have read all of these posts regarding pit bulls and labs and greyhounds and
horrible they can or can't be. The truth is any dog of any breed, full or
mixed, can be aggressive and nasty.

My sister owns a great dane-chow mix (approx. 130lbs.) who is absolutely
wonderful with her girls. He was a rescue dog with no previous experience with
children, and he was about 3 when my sister had her first baby. He'd maul her
with kisses, pick up toys she had dropped, and he even let her use him to pull
up on when she was learning to stand. He is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever
met. He has never shown any aggression towards people or other dogs.

I have a rat terrier-chihuahua mix and a basenji, both of which have been
wonderful with my son who is now 13months. The rt-c will be 2 in December and
the b will be 1 in December. They are watched very carefully around the baby,
but love to play tug-of-war with him (using a rope toy) and the three of them
chase eachother all over the place.

I grew up with labs who were all very wonderful with children. I've also seen
a mini-poodle and a mini-doxie be extremely aggressive towards children when
they weren't provoked. These were two of the sweetest dogs until they were
exposed to children.

My point with all of this is to say that dogs are individuals with different
personalities and characteristics. It's important to find the right dog for
you and your family, not just listen to people ranting and raving about
specific breeds. If you go to a breeder, do your research. If you choose a
rescue dog, make sure they've tested the temperament of the dog around children
of all ages. Let your daughter spend time with the new dog before agreeing to
adopt it. Don't just take someone's word that the dog is good with children.
Ask a lot of questions. If the person truly cares about the fate of the dog,
they will be more than willing to answer your questions.

I hope you find the perfect dog for you and your family. Good Luck! And
remember there are people hear with a ton of knowledge on finding a good
breeder if you decide on that route.

Rebekah

Trailblazer125

Jun 24, 2001, 9:46:37 PM6/24/01
>I am wondering if anyone would happen to know of a good breed for my
>daughter who is autistic.

I wouldn't concentrate on breed so much as breeder. Look for a breeder who
has their dogs involved in therapy, who puts great stock in temperament and
soundness of the breeding animals (it would be great if your next dog would
last 15 years as well!).
Goldens, for instance - there is a woman near where I live who breeds goldens
and donates most of what she breeds to an assistance dog training school. The
others are placed as pets - they are extremely sound, have great temperaments,
and the ones I've seen are quite well mannered (including a couple of 8 month
old pups out being socialized). There is another kennel not far from here that
breeds goldens for field work - definately not family pets.
My sister used to work for a woman who had an autistic son - her dogs were
Shar Pei and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. The Peis were stoic and
protective (they will put up with anything), and the Cavs are gentle and
tolerant - complete lap dogs. My own dog Bonnie (a collie) has been around
kids with CP and loves them to death. She gets her ears pulled and eyes poked
sometimes (or eyesockets, anyway - she doesn't have any eyes), and just grins
and leans on them, asking for more.
I've had 4 collies (2 currently), and each one has been a dream with kids
(though I don't have any of my own).
You might want to look into rescues or inquire with breeders about adopting
an older dog, who is past the boisterous puppy stage and who needs a home.
I've had rescues who would love to be in a home like yours - there are some
individual dogs who just *have* to be with kids. Be wary of shelters, though -
you don't want a dog with no behavioral history (former owners tend to gloss
over the dog's problems a bit, IME).
Good luck finding a dog!

Jana
Bonnie & Stella

Leah

Jun 30, 2001, 5:06:22 PM6/30/01
>Brett & Rebekah Trigg brett...@netscape.net wrote:
> I've also seen
>a mini-poodle and a mini-doxie be extremely aggressive towards children when
>they weren't provoked. These were two of the sweetest dogs until they were
>exposed to children.

My chi/pug has never bitten or snapped at anybody in the 13 years of his life.
He hasn't had much exposure to children, and he's not crazy about them.
Therefore, he's never had any exposure at all without *close* supervision.
He'll allow kids to pet him, cuddle him, and kiss him (all the time standing
still and looking at me with huge eyes pleading for me to make them go away).
If they're older kids, he'll warm up. But if any little kid ever attempted to
pick him up, I'm quite sure he'd snap.

That doesn't make him any less of a great dog. He simply just doesn't trust
children. (Like his mommy. :}

Melissa Moker

Jun 30, 2001, 6:31:12 PM6/30/01
if a cocker bites you get a wound, with a pit bul its easy to get dead.
You can just look at a pit bull and see that the breed was developed for
one thing , fighting and killing

Melissa Moker

Jun 30, 2001, 6:28:28 PM6/30/01
To visit Kage's Page click on the dancing baby Or click here

Melissa Moker

Jun 30, 2001, 6:46:43 PM6/30/01
one coment on this arguement on the activity level of lab puppies. ALL
breeds of puppies are excitable, they all run, jump, mouth. That is
normal healthy puppy behavior. Which by the way pit puppies do aswell.

DogStar716

Jun 30, 2001, 8:53:58 PM6/30/01
>if a cocker bites you get a wound, with a pit bul its easy to get dead.
>You can just look at a pit bull and see that the breed was developed for
>one thing , fighting and killing

Sigh. Here we go again.....
Dogstar716
Come see Gunnars Life: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/index.html

" My positive feelings for them doesn't mean we're above eating some we love a
lot if the situation calls for it." - Elame, on eating dogs....

John F Richardson

Jun 30, 2001, 9:15:21 PM6/30/01
Kagemom writes:

:if a cocker bites you get a wound,

They were bred to fight dogs,
but to be so trustworthy around
humans that they can be closely
handled even while engaged in a
dogfight.

JohnR
Pit Bull Libertarian

Never sneer at the power of a little
pink squeaky toy!

Borzoi Mommy

Jun 30, 2001, 10:20:51 PM6/30/01
Having said that, surely you must admit that some breeds tend to stay
puppies longer than others. My Borzoi female is incredibly more mature at
one year of age than our Lab who is probably almost three years of age. You
can't paint every dog or even breed with the same brush.

Borzoi Mommy

"Melissa Moker" <Kag...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Nic

Jul 1, 2001, 3:56:50 PM7/1/01

>if a cocker bites you get a wound, with a pit bul its easy to get dead.
>You can just look at a pit bull and see that the breed was developed for
>one thing , fighting and killing

Easy to get dead, eh?

LOLOL

Nic
Brando the APBT
Buster the Pug of Darkness

Coming Soon!
Grant the AmStaff
http://www.geocities.com/bulldawggirl/grant.htm

dal...@ihug.co.nz

Jul 1, 2001, 6:20:33 PM7/1/01
I agree with what's being said about not just being a breed thing, its a
personality thing. That said, I have an Alaskan Malamute who are fairly
similar in temperament etc to huskys and samoyeds, and with these guys
its all in the training. It would be a lot more hard work and time
spent training good manners than with some other breeds.. labs for eg?
I'm assuming that you would not have mountains of time for training the
dog because of caring for your daughter, so I would suggest a 'more
domesticated' dog than the northern breeds. Thats my experience
anyway.

dal...@ihug.co.nz

Jul 1, 2001, 6:20:33 PM7/1/01

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: dal...@ihug.co.nz
Newsgroups: pl.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <3B3FA231...@ihug.co.nz>
Control: cancel <3B3FA231...@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 03:22:30 GMT

CLARA wants a repost: <3B3FA231...@ihug.co.nz>

Nic

Jul 1, 2001, 3:56:50 PM7/1/01

From: evil...@aol.comnospam (Nic)
Newsgroups: pl.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <20010701155650...@ng-cf1.aol.com>
Control: cancel <20010701155650...@ng-cf1.aol.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:05:11 GMT

CLARA wants a repost: <20010701155650...@ng-cf1.aol.com>

John F Richardson

Jun 30, 2001, 9:15:21 PM6/30/01

From: jfrc...@aol.com (John F Richardson)
Newsgroups: pl.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <20010630211521...@ng-xc1.aol.com>
Control: cancel <20010630211521...@ng-xc1.aol.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 03:44:59 GMT

CLARA wants a repost: <20010630211521...@ng-xc1.aol.com>

Leah

Jun 30, 2001, 5:06:22 PM6/30/01

From: dfrnt...@aol.comMURK-OFF (Leah)
Newsgroups: pl.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <20010630170622...@ng-cn1.aol.com>
Control: cancel <20010630170622...@ng-cn1.aol.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 02:39:37 GMT

CLARA wants a repost: <20010630170622...@ng-cn1.aol.com>

Melissa Moker

Jun 30, 2001, 6:31:12 PM6/30/01

Path: news.uni-stuttgart.de!fu-berlin.de!cpk-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.gtei.net!news.tele.dk!195.158.233.21!news1.ebone.net!news.ebone.net!news.ipartners.pl!news.internetia.pl!fargo.cgs.poznan.pl!poznan.rmf.pl!wroclaw.rmf.pl!news.rmf.pl!agh.edu.pl!news.agh.edu.pl!news.onet.pl!lublin.pl!news.prz.rzeszow.pl!Gamma.RU!diablo.theplanet.net!diablo.netcom.net.uk!netcom.net.uk!viola.clari.net!cello.clari.net!clarinews
From: Kag...@webtv.net (Melissa Moker)
Newsgroups: pl.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <11367-3B...@storefull-231.iap.bryant.webtv.net>
Control: cancel <11367-3B...@storefull-231.iap.bryant.webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:37:12 GMT

CLARA wants a repost: <11367-3B...@storefull-231.iap.bryant.webtv.net>

Melissa Moker

Jun 30, 2001, 6:28:28 PM6/30/01

Melissa Moker

From: Kag...@webtv.net (Melissa Moker)
Newsgroups: pl.test
Control: cancel <11367-3B...@storefull-231.iap.bryant.webtv.net>

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:27:09 GMT

Borzoi Mommy

Jun 30, 2001, 10:20:51 PM6/30/01

From: "Borzoi Mommy" <bor...@bellsouth.net>
Newsgroups: pl.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <BKv%6.62790$HJ1.5...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>
Control: cancel <BKv%6.62790$HJ1.5...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 02:26:17 GMT

CLARA wants a repost: <BKv%6.62790$HJ1.5...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>

DogStar716

Jun 30, 2001, 8:53:58 PM6/30/01

From: dogst...@aol.com (DogStar716)
Newsgroups: pl.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <20010630205358...@ng-fe1.aol.com>
Control: cancel <20010630205358...@ng-fe1.aol.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 06:34:30 GMT

CLARA wants a repost: <20010630205358...@ng-fe1.aol.com>

chrish...@gmail.com

May 9, 2020, 9:44:39 AM5/9/20
We have a husky on the way(pup) and two autistic children in the home! But I am stay at home so she will always have me and the kids around!