How To Play Two Subtitles Together In VLC Player

Jude Rhynes

Dec 7, 2023, 9:47:35 PM12/7/23
This article covers how to play two subtitles together in VLC player. It will be very helpful when you want to play subtitles of two different languages in VLC. Though natively you can play only one subtitle in VLC at a time, there is a very simple trick to help you show two subtitles at once in VLC.

How to Play Two Subtitles Together in VLC Player
Download Zip https://tlniurl.com/2wJ2sp

For that, you need to install a free VLC extension and a software. The extension loads the second subtitle and the software helps that extension to display/load the second subtitle. In the screenshot below, you can see that two different subtitles are visible in VLC player. The primary subtitles are visible on the bottom part and secondary subtitles are displayed on the top part.

Step 3: Once the extension is installed, you can access it from View tab in VLC player. Now, the problem is this when you run this extension, it provides a Refresh button and you need to keep pressing that button always so that it can display the second subtitle.

There are a lot of users who want to play two subtitles together in VLC player. This trick is gonna save time as well as help a lot of users. You just need to set up things once and then you can enjoy playing two different subtitles in your favorite VLC media player. Try it.

Tip: For best results, you should rename subtitle files to something like nameofvideofile.language.SRT. For instance, Myvideofile.eng.SRT. Then put the files in the same folder as the video. This way, most media players will automatically detect the subtitles without you having to manually load them. Also, make sure your subtitles are synced correctly or they will display at different times.

KMPlayer has been able to play more than one subtitle at once for quite a few years. Apart from that ability, it also boasts a number of options for displaying, loading, and saving the subtitles back out again. Some of the other subtitle features are merging subtitles together, subtitle explorer/editor, syncing, multiple display and effect options, and an online subtitle finder.

PotPlayer is by the same developer that created KMPlayer who decided to leave that project and start another. Unsurprisingly, PotPlayer also has a range of subtitle options like KMPlayer, including a subtitle browser, online search/download, loads of tweaking and display options, and even a translator. PotPlayer can show two subtitles on the video at the same time with one at the top and one at the bottom.

You can view which subtitles are in the video by playing it with MPV and cycling through the available subtitles by clicking on the right of the play/seek bar. Whichever number you want to show, enter that as the sid=##. Save the batch file when you have finished and drop a file onto it to test.

You can follow the guide in our How To Add Two or More Subtitles to Video article. The resulting SRT file should allow the player to play two or even three subtitles together automatically at the bottom of the video with optional different colors.

You can name subtitle files like in the article, so the player will recognize them, then you need to note down the order and use this numbers in the command to set the subtitles the way you want. sid=1 is the first subtitle track in order.

My best solution is GOM Player 2.3.60.5324 Version.This videoplayer shows two subtitles at the same time and it works very simple.You start a film and you draw into Gom the first srt, then draw into the second one.And you can watch the film with two srt!

You can also use DualSub (dualsub.sourceforge.net), which is an open source tool to merge SRT subtitles. It can be customized for different players features. In addition it allows to translate subtitles if you only have one input subtitle file.

Is there a way to display multiple subtitles at the same time? It would help a lot while learning a new language. I have some *.mkv movie with two embedded subtitles, how would I turn them both on, so that one will be on the bottom and another one on the top? Or at least a fast switch with immediate text update without rewinding back would be nice.

I'm going to assume that all the subtitles are either built-in (as specified in the question) or in a separate, but suitably named external file (e.g. if your movie is called file1.mkv your subtitle file should be file1.srt). If not, you can specify the subtitle files explicitly by adding the options --sub-file=subtitle_file_lang_xx.src, --sub-file=subtitle_file_lang_yy.src etc. or by playing around with --sub-auto (e.g. --sub-auto=fuzzy).

Irrespective of how they were chosen (built-in or from an external file) each set of subtitles will be in its own "stream" when you play the video file. The streams are assigned consecutive, integer indices (1, 2, 3...). In general, the built-in subtitles will (logically) have the earlier indices. The stream indices, their languages (if the subtitle has a specified language), and whether the subtitle comes from an external file, are displayed in the terminal when you play your file with mpv. For example, after running mpv file1.mkv:

Knowing these indices, you can specify the "main" and secondary subtitles with the options --sid and --secondary-sid. For example, to display the English subtitles, from the previous example, as the main subtitles, and the French ones as the secondary ones, you can run (in a terminal):

When playing a video, you need to "Toggle secondary subtitle control" with the default shortcut Ctrl+Shift+V. (This means that the normal subtitle control shortcuts like v or Alt+v, for cycling between subtitles backwards and forwards, will now apply to the secondary subtitles, rather than the main subtitles. Pressing Ctrl+Shift+V again will toggle back to having these apply to the main subtitles.) Then, press v the right number of times to switch to the (secondary) subtitles that you want.

Alternatively you can consider KMplayer for Microsoft Windows. I never tried it, because I don't have a Windows, but apparently it is what always comes out top if you google for dual subtitle players.

Most video players do not have the ability to play two concurrent sets of subtitles at once. But luckily it is easy enough to combine two subtitles into one file online. At -bien.net/2srt2ass/ select the Spanish subtitle file you downloaded in step one, and add it as the top subtitle, and the English subtitle file as the bottom.

Also, SMPlayer can play two subtitles simultaneously. You can load subtitles via load options and then choose primary and secondary subtitles. This is my favorite since there are no keyboard shortcuts to memorize.

I had a similar question as OP except I wanted transcribe subtitles from a video and then translate them, combining the results into one file that would automatically play in VLC. It worked: Looking for a subtitle translator-&-merger to create dual-language subtitles.

I have a mkv video which embeds English and German subtitles. I watch the mkv video on VLC player. At any one time, I can only select one of the subtitles. I would like to learn German. Watching video with both English and German subtitles appearing at the same time would help.

I'm going to assume that all the subtitles are either embedded (as specified in the question) or in a separate, but suitably named external file (e.g. if your movie is called file1.mkv your subtitle file should be file1.srt). If not, you can specify the subtitle files explicitly by adding the options --sub-file=subtitle_file_lang_xx.src, --sub-file=subtitle_file_lang_yy.src etc. or by playing around with --sub-auto (e.g. --sub-auto=fuzzy).

Knowing these indices, you can specify the "main" and secondary subtitles with the options --sid and --secondary-sid. For example, to display the English subtitles, from the previous example, as the main subtitles, and the German ones as the secondary ones, you can run (in a terminal):

Opening a sidecar captions file allows to view it alongside the video. Use this method to check subtitles and captions at the beginning of your editing phase. This is also the preferred option for players/platforms requiring subtitles to be uploaded in a separate file.

To permanently add subtitles to a video, you can use a service like Rev, who will send you a fully captioned video with the captions permanently hardcoded. This way, they will automatically be enabled on any player, including VLC.

There is also an option to add your subtitle file to your video directly in VLC. However, as this is a media player and not an editing tool, its encoding options are limited. To encode subtitles in VLC on Mac, go to the File tab, then select Convert and Stream:

Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player. Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!). Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP. Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking. A media library, with WiFi Uploads & Downloads, Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, OneDrive & Box.com integration and optional passcode lock. Web Interface for easy uploads and downloads to/from device. Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay including spatial audio for AirPods Pro and Max. Full support for file servers (SMB / Windows shares, NFS, SFTP and FTP) Local Network service discovery with UPnP and native support for Plex On-the-fly audio and subtitles track synchronization Supports iOS 9.0 or later Full 64bit support on latest iPhone and latest iPad Completely free, libre and open source.
eebf2c3492