Do your cats talk back to you???

Philippa

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
we could go on all night sometimes.

Do female cats always make more noise?

Philippa

--
Philippa

Andrew Georgiou

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

Philippa <1017...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
>we could go on all night sometimes.

Smudge announces when it's time for bed, and Arnie screams when he
wants water from a tap.

They both howl if I walk past the kitchen without bringing out food.

And as for just nudging Smudge when he's sleeping...

Andrew G

To find out more about this loon, look at ...
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~andrewg

BanBrana

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

I will often carry on full conversations with RainDancer.....after which I
will traditionally say, "Are we having a good talk?" And she will reply by
stopping, dropping and rolling on her back (she'd be great in a fire
drill! <g>).

Macha *talks*......some of the meows sound like "Mommmmmmy", others sound
like "Uh oh!" (these she saves for when she is caught in the act of
tipping glasses).

Malkuth yells at me. If I tell him not to do something or he'll get hurt,
he whines in a low growling tone. Then falls and hurts himself. DUH!

Raven

Rhonda Pennington

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

My tabby-girl talks CONSTANTLY. She, too ,often says "mommmmeeeee". When
people call on the phone they often ask,"Is that a baby crying?" -Rhonda

--
Rhonda /\_/\
( ' ^ ' )//////////"""""

Rachel Tucker

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

My female Manx cat,Tember, loves to mew to me either to get petting or
in response it I speak or meow to her. The fun thing is she likes when
I whistle. She mew a high pitched squeak and chase me all over the
house purring all the way.

My (fat-cat) an 11yr old PersianX,Patchrick,will peep a mew when he
wants a goodie,he'll even put his paw on your leg looking up to you if
saying 'hey mr. got a dime?'
He also is trained to stretch out flat on his back with head laid back
and playing dead remaining in that position for up to 30 minutes or
until I tell him its ok to quit.

My shelter cat,Chan, will mew and rub around you with an extremely
loooooong tail that's curled at the tip. Oddly enough she adores having
her hind quarters lifted an inch or 2 off the floor by using her tail.

Cataroo/Rachel

Rhonda Ray

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

Our male kitty, Peppy, will meow and howl at me until he gets my
attention. He'll do this when he wants me to put him up into the attic
to play his favorite game "Cat & Mouse"!

Rhonda Ray
San Jose, CA
http://www.webcom.com/ronimo/rhonda.html

Seanette Blaylock

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

>>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
>>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
>>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
>>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
>>we could go on all night sometimes.
> Smudge announces when it's time for bed, and Arnie screams
> when he
> wants water from a tap.
> They both howl if I walk past the kitchen without bringing
> out food.
> And as for just nudging Smudge when he's sleeping...

I'm trying to convince Felix to talk *more*.
Seanette
--
+-Internet: seanette...@catalina.org
+-Fidonet: Seanette Blaylock 1:206/2735
| of the originator, and if you do not, they are someone else's opinions.
+-The Catalina BBS InterNet <-> FidoNet Gateway
| Public Access for Fido Boards and Users! e-mail: in...@catalina.org
+-World Wide Web Space starting $10/month! e-mail: web-...@catalina.org

Suzanne Lisanti

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

>==========Philippa, 5/8/96==========

>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
>we could go on all night sometimes.
>

>Do female cats always make more noise?
>
>Philippa

Philippa, my male cat Ulfie will make the small squeaks of a
meow, when he is lying down and very comfortable sometimes. I
will answer him and he does it back to me - this will go on for
3-4 times before he stops - It is really neat and I was
surprised when it first happened! It is a neat form of
communication! My little female does not meow very much at all,
but she grunts and makes 'Tribble' noises a lot! It is very cute.

-Suzanne (with Ulfie and Copper)

Suzanne Lisanti
suzanne...@daytonoh.attgis.com

Mike -n- Val Stephens

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

My little Dobie will meow when I say his name! i get home and he walks up to
me and gives me that 'Mommy, you're home!' look. So I say 'Dobie!' and he
goes 'Meow!' as if to say 'Here I am mom! Look down here!' So I say 'I
see you Dobe' and he just meows till I pet him, hehe.
Val & Dobie 'Meow! Who, me?'

--
'Keep those ferrets )|||||( /====\ )|( 'Hey dad,
away from me!' | | /| |\ (/ \) can the cat

Renee Babcock

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

Persephone and I carry on extended conversations throughout the day.
I'm convinced she's part siamese (she's all black but built like a
siamese and with the mouth!). We talk while I'm in the shower, she
yells nonstop while I'm getting ready in the morning (I feed them last
thing before I leave). And when I answer her, she looks at me, and just
meows away. I'm convinced that on some level, we really are
communicating.

Renee

sham...@inferno.com

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

10>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
10>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
10>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
10>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
10>we could go on all night sometimes.

10>Do female cats always make more noise?

10>Philippa

10>--
10>Philippa

Finnegan was a very verbal cat with me, he would meow his arrival and
talk to me. Strangely Rory, who was kind of tacit, is now being more
vocal.

Kate

Jan Junod

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

On 8 May 1996, Philippa wrote:

> Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me

> all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually

> when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and

> quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and

> we could go on all night sometimes.
>

> Do female cats always make more noise?

Aries was always very talkative. He would purr and talk, purr and talk
on and on while I held him & scratched his ears. Aries was always the
oldest, and the "top cat" of the house.

Now Garfield, who was never very vocal, has begun doing the same thing.
She didn't start this until after Friar Tuck went to the Rainbow Bridge,
at which time she became the eldest "top cat". Perhaps it's a "King/Queen
of The Castle" thing?

Jan Junod ju...@u.washington.edu

|\ _,,,---,,_ +-----------------------------+
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ | Isn't there always a cat |
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' | on whatever you're reading? |
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) +-----------------------------+

Rosemary Beattie

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

<sham...@inferno.com> wrote:

>10>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
>10>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
>10>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
>10>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
>10>we could go on all night sometimes.

>10>Do female cats always make more noise?

Our beautiful calico cat, Zoe who died in January at 19 years was the
most talkative cat we have ever known. She had so many expressions and
inflections in her miaows and often used to talk in sentences rather
than single miaows. She used to snore too and sounded nothing like a
cat when she snored. She also had the loudest purr of any of my cats
and could also hold a single miaow longer than any opera singer
could hold a note. One of my other cats was a very big grey and pink
female called Possum and she probably miaowed about twice a year.
It was the softest tiniest sound imaginable which sounded very strange
coming from such an enormous cat :)

Rosemary

LV Wooldridge

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96
to rk...@gil.com.au

My cats seem to have quite a vocabulary. Purring comes in several
flavours from a deep satisfied sound (eg when on someone's lap) to
demanding (eg when their dinner bowl is empty). There is an urgent and
loud meow when they have caught something and are bringing it home. They
snore too!

Linda

Susan Lawson

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

sham...@inferno.com wrote:

> 10>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
> 10>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
> 10>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
> 10>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
> 10>we could go on all night sometimes.
>
> 10>Do female cats always make more noise?
>
> 10>Philippa
>
> 10>--
> 10>Philippa
>
> Finnegan was a very verbal cat with me, he would meow his arrival and
> talk to me. Strangely Rory, who was kind of tacit, is now being more
> vocal.
>
> Kate

Hi-one of my cats "talked" all the time. She had her usual meow that was
to anyone else, just a cat making the usual vocal sounds a cat would
make. But she had her special "talk" which was a variation of a meow, a
"rumph" an "yeow" and such, which she would talk to me with, and of
course, I would talk back with her (sometimes mimicking her sounds,
sometimes just talking to her). These usually were one on one times, she
would plant herself in front of me and DEMAND I talk with her, and pet
her. If I was putting on socks, or tieing shoes,(while sitting on the
floor), she would literally reach out and GRAB my hand and pull it over
to her face, chastising me all the time. Anyway, she was definitely
communicating with me, no doubt about it. As you can guess as I refer to
her, she is no longer alive, but lived 16 years and I miss her all the
time. My new cat is an intelligent handful, and I'm training her early
to "talk" too. Susan

Mikko or Andy

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

Our longest conversations with Mikko happen whenever my SO takes Nicky
out for a walk (or vice versa ;-). Mikko goes to the door and starts
scratching it and meowing typically:

- [scratch, scratch] MEOWT! MEOWT! [Me out too!]
- All in proper time, meower! Nicky first, then you.
- MeOw? [You sure?] [sratch]
- Yes, meOw, come on off the door now.
- MEOWweh. [But I want out!] [scratch, scratch]
- I said GET OFF THE DOOR! MEOW!
- meoW...meow. [Ok, ok], [scratch].
-That's the boy, come on over here.
- MEow...meOW [You'd better rub my tummy then, sigh...]
- Sure, Mikko.
- Prrmmpphh [splats, 22 pounds of cat meat on my toes]
- [Sigh]
- [prrrRRrrrrRRrrrrRRrrrrrr...]

Andy

cper...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

In article <Dr8Lt...@gil.com.au>, rk...@gil.com.au (Rosemary Beattie) writes:
> <sham...@inferno.com> wrote:
>
>>10>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
>>10>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
>>10>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
>>10>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
>>10>we could go on all night sometimes.
>
>>10>Do female cats always make more noise?
>
> Our beautiful calico cat, Zoe who died in January at 19 years was the
> most talkative cat we have ever known. She had so many expressions and
> inflections in her miaows and often used to talk in sentences rather
> than single miaows. She used to snore too and sounded nothing like a
> cat when she snored. She also had the loudest purr of any of my cats
> and could also hold a single miaow longer than any opera singer
> could hold a note. One of my other cats was a very big grey and pink
> female called Possum and she probably miaowed about twice a year.
> It was the softest tiniest sound imaginable which sounded very strange
> coming from such an enormous cat :)
>
> Rosemary

I've got two female cats. (Grey and pink? You did say pink?) Mine are both
brown tabbies. Mandy is a skinny mouthy cat (my opinion, I keep wondering if
there isn't some Siamese in her ancestry) Betsy is, er, large. Weight-
challenged. Under threat from the vet of being put on a diet. But she
rarely meows, and when she does, it's a quiet little `MIAP'.

I am presently boarding a male cat who doesn't meow at all.

Cheryl

Ray

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

rk...@gil.com.au (Rosemary Beattie) wrote:

><sham...@inferno.com> wrote:

>>10>Both of my cats like to meow. My female, Kitten, will meow at me
>>10>all day, but my male, James, will only talk now and then, usually
>>10>when he is going to sleep on my lap. Then he will make cute and
>>10>quiet sqeekes of a meow, and if I copy him, he'll answer back, and
>>10>we could go on all night sometimes.

>>10>Do female cats always make more noise?

>Our beautiful calico cat, Zoe who died in January at 19 years was the
>most talkative cat we have ever known. She had so many expressions and
>inflections in her miaows and often used to talk in sentences rather
>than single miaows. She used to snore too and sounded nothing like a
>cat when she snored. She also had the loudest purr of any of my cats
>and could also hold a single miaow longer than any opera singer
>could hold a note. One of my other cats was a very big grey and pink
>female called Possum and she probably miaowed about twice a year.
>It was the softest tiniest sound imaginable which sounded very strange
>coming from such an enormous cat :)

>Rosemary

Both of our kittens here in Canada are male (fixed tho not broken)
Manga is the elder (nearly a year) has a verrry LOUD PURR and a tiny
girlish meow that he seldom uses. Dudu is about 3 months younger and
talks a LOT, especially when I am at the computer and he is BORED or
if he wants me to follow him to the kitchen and stand guard
(figuratively holding his paw) while he eats. I put their food out in
separate bowls but Manga insists that they are both his so Dudu backs
away most of the time until Manga is finished.

Dudu also tells me sometimes that the litter boxes are smelly and its
time for me to scrub and refill them, or he tells me that he is coming
just before he runs up my leg and chest to put his head on my
shoulder, while I am at the computer, and purrs contentedly, licks my
beard and tells me he's glad we are friends. There are other times
when I haven't the faintest idea what he is talking about and I think
he is just trying to get something off his chest.

Ray

Ray & Rashida Girven who work for Manga and Dudu
Illigitimus non carborundum
(Don't let the bastards grind you down)

Heather B. Potucek

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

Fred, our shorthair, has a variety of purrs, meows, and even mruffs.
Here are a few special ones I have noted:

There is a mruff for exasperation after waiting too long for attention,
there is a wailing NOWWWWWWW for getting attention. (He used this the
other day on my mother for the entire 45 minutes she was on the phone,
and he did NOT cease until she was off the phone!) He even has a purr
for "Okay so you are a nice human. Now leave me alone."

Thank Heaven for cats!

--Heather B. Potucek
and Fred

Fred: AS: B: Y: 6 Y L+ W+ C+ I+ T A+ E+ H+ S++ V++ B+ PA++ PL++

A feline's friend,

Heather B. Potucek
h_po...@oz.plymouth.edu
Remember: People just want to be big cats.

/\___/\
/ O O \
=======================( )==~~~~~ * ~~~~~==( )=========================

robert a. moeser

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

In article <4mvqlv$9...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, Renee Babcock
<r.ba...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

(about Persephone)

:...We talk while I'm in the shower, she

:yells nonstop while I'm getting ready in the morning (I feed them last
:thing before I leave). And when I answer her, she looks at me, and just
:meows away. I'm convinced that on some level, we really are
:communicating.

hmmm. if you were really communicating, you'd be feeding her first thing
you got up!

-- rob, who actualy likes the idea of feeding lennie on the way out the
door, but is afraid to try it.

Lydia M. Woods

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

>:...We talk while I'm in the shower, she

Jazz answers me when I talk to him. Every morning, after his
breakfast, he gets a handful of Tartar Control as a treat. But we have
to go through this ceremony first:
Me: Do you want some Tartar Control?
Jazz: ;;silence::
Me: If you want some Tartar Control you need to tell me.
Jazz: MEOW!!!!

Lydia

Morgan Kennedy

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

My youngest cat, Slinky, is very vocal and very demanding. But of
course, very cute. She chirps sometimes when she's just checking if
I'm going to to kitchen to get her a treat, or myself a treat.

My older cat, Nuno, never used to vocalize until he got 2 adopted
sisters who were very noisy. Last night I was feeding my rats and
picking up their tanks when all of a sudden I heard this MROOOOOW!
MRROOWW! behind me! I looked down, and there was Nuno, frowning and
mrowing out of jealousy. He clawed my leg (sort of like when a little
kid tugs on your pants) and complained until I picked him up and
walked around with him for a while.

He also gives me some seriously cranky attitude if I kick him off me
when I'm in bed. Hey - he's 15 pounds of solid cat - you try to
breathe with that on your chest longer than 10 minutes! :-0

I completely understand my cats and their noises. I'm sure mothers
and babies have the exact same communication.

BTW - when I first get home from work my cats follow me around the
house and talk about their day. All of this goes on without any
connection to food, by the way. I keep their bowl filled at all
times. :-)

-Morgan

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."
-Zaphod Beeblebrox

More ego can be found at http://web.mit.edu/morgana/www/

Tara Pittman

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

I have 2 cats, Butch and Angel.

Butch always talks back to me! Especially when he is begging to go
outside... The only way he goes outside is on a leash and collar with
supervision... We have several stray cats and dogs in the area... I would
hate it if something happened to him. Besides, he enjoys the company!
But sometimes, when I really don't feel like taking him outside (or I'll
wait till later on in the day), he'll keep meowing at the door. So when
he starts doing this, I'll say no in a stern voice, and he runs away from
the door and will have this weird meow, like as if he's saying "take me
out anyways!" I can't explain this meow, but it's so funny!

Angel isn't that vocal, unless she's being squirted by the water bottle
or when she wants canned food... Believe it or not, she loves the squirt
water bottle! It's so cute... :) I love my cats to pieces... I don't
know what I would do if I lost them... I already lost my 3rd cat to Liver
Disease... Her name was Tabatha, and she wasn't that vocal (meowing), but
boy did she love to purr!

Tara

Kirsten Sj|stedt

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

>My tabby-girl talks CONSTANTLY. She, too ,often says "mommmmeeeee". When
>people call on the phone they often ask,"Is that a baby crying?" -Rhonda

Spock and I have loooong conversations; he "trills" and I copy him, and we
could carry on like that all day. When I'm alone in the apartment I talk to
him and explain everything I am doing; it seems appropriate, since he follows
me around to watch what I'm up to :) Sometimes it seems as though he
understands what I am saying...

When I'm on the phone, he comes and sits next to me on the sill to keep me
company, but he never interrupts.

Does anyone have a cat that runs to call them when the doorbell rings?
Spock always does, and when I don't answer the door (someone I don't want
to talk to :) he gets very upset. I try to explain that I didn't want to
let on that I was home, but he is sure I just didn't hear the bell and keeps
saying that the doorbell rang, the doorbell rang (special sort of meow).

My parents' cat, Smokey (now sadly passed on - combination of age and chronic
illness) never spoke much, but had a word for every occasion. I always knew
exactly what he wanted - food, water, milk, in, out, come-and-look... never a
doubt.

/Kirsten
& Spock

Kirsten Sjöstedt ens9...@cs.umu.se http://www.cs.umu.se/~ens94knr/
Umeå, Norrland, Sweden kir...@wings.se http://www.wings.se/~kirsten/

Miste

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

> Does anyone have a cat that runs to call them when the
doorbell rings?
> Spock always does, and when I don't answer the door
(someone I don't want
> to talk to :) he gets very upset. I try to explain that
I didn't want to
> let on that I was home, but he is sure I just didn't
hear the bell and keeps
> saying that the doorbell rang, the doorbell rang
(special sort of meow).

<snip>

> /Kirsten
> & Spock

Well, Sparkle doesn't care much about the doorbell (that's
the d*g's job), but he will come find me anywhere in the
house when the kitchen timer goes off, and yell at me
until I go "fix" it. He's Siamese, so I don't usually
dawdle. <g>

Miste (slave to Sparkle and Treble)

Lorri Robinson

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Bunny fusses at me when I am outside--he sits in the window and howls until I
come back in. I have been down at the beaver pond in the back (about 500 yds
from the house) and I can STILL hear him!

He also says "mama", only the accent is on the last syllable: ma-MA?

Blue pretty much just talks to himself, except when you surprise him, then he
gives a tiny little "chirp" of "Oh! There you are!"

Bill only talks when he wants something: out (mowt), food (mairnt), water
(mnagh)

Lorri

bernie

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Blue isn't much of a talker. The only way I hear her talk is when she
wants to eat. I mimic her and I get a response sometimes. Any way I can
get her to talk more?

Bernie & Blue

Ray

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Miste <dur...@ids2.idsonline.com> wrote:

Dudu always comes to tell me that the whistle on the electric kettle
is sounding (My hearing isn't that good and the computer room and the
kitchen are at opposite ends of the house). He also comes to tell me
if I stay up past our normal bedtime.

Ray

Manga: DM G+W Y 1 Y+ L W+ C+++ I++ T A- E++ H V- F- Q- P B++ PA+ PL++
Dudu: DM B Y .10 Y L W- C+++ I++ T++ A+++ E- H V++ F- Q+++ P B PA PL
and the staff: Ray & Rashida Girven, Nanaimo BC, Canada

Winnie Leong

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <4n6fkt$p...@oz.plymouth.edu>, h_po...@oz.plymouth.edu (Heather B. Potucek) writes:
|> There is a mruff for exasperation after waiting too long for attention,
|> there is a wailing NOWWWWWWW for getting attention. (He used this the
|> other day on my mother for the entire 45 minutes she was on the phone,
|> and he did NOT cease until she was off the phone!) He even has a purr
|> for "Okay so you are a nice human. Now leave me alone."
|>
|> Thank Heaven for cats!

My mom's cat Scruffy usually ignores me when I am
visiting. But one day I was on the phone and
my mom was not around. He went so crazy that
I have to cut short the phone call to see
what's wrong with him. Of course nothing
was wrong. He probably just wanted some attention.

Winnie Leong

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Rusty is a quiet cat. When I first adopted
him, I have no idea what his voice is like.
Not till late in the day of adoption, or
maybe even the next day, did I hear him
meow. And it was a soft meow. The loudest
I ever got out of him in the past year
was when I accidently squash him with my
rocking chair. I didn't know he was behind
the chair when I was rocking. Then all of
a sudden I heard this loud scream, and he
was running all over the place. Won't let
me get close to look at him. I was worried
I broke some bones. But he was O.K., and
eventually forgave me. That was soon after
the adoption. Now he goes on the rocking
chair, which is mostly occupied by him.

But when Rusty was staying over at the
cat-sitter. She told me Rusty was very
vocal, probably because Charlie was there.
Charlie is the sitter's cat. The sitter
said she's sure Rusty has some Siamese
trait in him. But he is always quiet
at home.

Liz Albrook

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

All my cats (Tonks) talk but one, Squirrel, definitely talks back. Squirrel is like
a spoiled brat -- if I say No! he says Mrumph! Our sessions go something like this:
Me: No!
Squirrel: Mrumph!
Me: I said No!
Squirrel: Mrumph! Mrumph! Mrumph!
Me: Squirrel!
Squirrel: Meeeeerumphrumphrumph!

Visitors to our house get a real kick out of this. He's got to be the most hard
headed cat I've ever seen. He comes when he's called because he knows that means
either food or pets and I'm the person he's attached to -- he's a one person cat
like a Siamese -- but he will never obey. "Squirrel, get off the counter." "Mrumph!"
I remove him from the counter. He's a brassy cat!

Liz

David Stevenson

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <ram-130596...@ram.tiac.net>, "robert a. moeser"
<r...@tiac.net> writes

>In article <4mvqlv$9...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, Renee Babcock
><r.ba...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>(about Persephone)
>
>:...We talk while I'm in the shower, she
>:yells nonstop while I'm getting ready in the morning (I feed them last
>:thing before I leave). And when I answer her, she looks at me, and just
>:meows away. I'm convinced that on some level, we really are
>:communicating.
>
>hmmm. if you were really communicating, you'd be feeding her first thing
>you got up!
>
>-- rob, who actualy likes the idea of feeding lennie on the way out the
>door, but is afraid to try it.

One of our Siamese, Quango, likes a long conversation, you say
"Wahhh", he says "Wahhh" and so on.

We find this strange. All our cats (all Siamese, past and present)
have produced a fair amount of noise, but Quango is the only one who
replies when you talk to him.

--
David Stevenson Bridge Cats Railways Logic /\_/\
Liverpool, England, UK Nothing ventured, nothing gained [. .]

David Stevenson

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

>Manga: DM G+W Y 1 Y+ L W+ C+++ I++ T A- E++ H V- F- Q- P B++ PA+ PL++
>Dudu: DM B Y .10 Y L W- C+++ I++ T++ A+++ E- H V++ F- Q+++ P B PA PL

Sorry for the change of thread. I have had these cat codes explained
(like the two lines above) but I have forgotten the details. Could
someone remind me please?

TIA

lynn baus

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

woo...@erols.com (Lydia M. Woods) wrote:

> >:...We talk while I'm in the shower, she
>
> Jazz answers me when I talk to him. Every morning, after his
> breakfast, he gets a handful of Tartar Control as a treat. But we have
> to go through this ceremony first:
> Me: Do you want some Tartar Control?
> Jazz: ;;silence::
> Me: If you want some Tartar Control you need to tell me.
> Jazz: MEOW!!!!
>
> Lydia

Nico is is my first cat and I had no idea how much kitties talked.
If I call his name he always answers me with a meorow.When I come
home he always tell how his day went. MEOW MEOW MEOW. Sometimes he'll
be in the other room by himself talking away. I forget how vocal he
is until I visit friends with cats they seem so quiet.

Mikko or Andy

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

ens9...@cs.umu.se (Kirsten Sj|stedt) wrote:
>When I'm on the phone, he comes and sits next to me on the sill to keep me
>company, but he never interrupts.

Lucky gal you are ;-)
Mikko won't leave me alone when I'm at the phone. (MEEEOOOWWW!!!)
I'm considering a wireless nowadays to hide from him, but it's too
expensive here at the neighborhood (about 1500-2000 SKR).

>Does anyone have a cat that runs to call them when the doorbell rings?

Nicky doesn't blink an eye, but Mikko either runs under the bed or to
the door, depending on what he's just been doing.

Andy the Hearing-Aid-User

Winnie Leong

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <4ncudc$o...@cliff.island.net>, gir...@mail.island.net (Ray) writes:
|> Dudu always comes to tell me that the whistle on the electric kettle
|> is sounding (My hearing isn't that good and the computer room and the
|> kitchen are at opposite ends of the house). He also comes to tell me
|> if I stay up past our normal bedtime.
|>
|> Ray
|>
|> Manga: DM G+W Y 1 Y+ L W+ C+++ I++ T A- E++ H V- F- Q- P B++ PA+ PL++
|> Dudu: DM B Y .10 Y L W- C+++ I++ T++ A+++ E- H V++ F- Q+++ P B PA PL
|> **********************************************************************
|> and the staff: Ray & Rashida Girven, Nanaimo BC, Canada

Rusty is the same way. He doesn't come to tell me when the
whistle in on the electric kettle. But he'll look at
me expectedly as if to say 'Turn it off'.
He also know when the phone is ringing and stares at me as
if saying 'Why don't you get the phone, its ringing'

Kirsten Sj|stedt

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In <4nd6k2$s...@bmerhc5e.bnr.ca> win...@bmerhcc9.bnr.ca (Winnie Leong) writes:

>The loudest
>I ever got out of him in the past year
>was when I accidently squash him with my
>rocking chair. I didn't know he was behind
>the chair when I was rocking. Then all of
>a sudden I heard this loud scream, and he
>was running all over the place. Won't let
>me get close to look at him. I was worried
>I broke some bones. But he was O.K., and
>eventually forgave me.

Hoo boy, once I stepped on Spock's paw. He is ALWAYS getting underfoot,
and this was when he was just a tiny scrap. He was running round like a
crazy thing, and I was playing with him; he ran right under my feet just as
I was taking a step. I tried to avoid him, lost my balance and came down
_heavily_ on one paw. He screamed as though he'd been squashed flat and
fled to a hiding place. I retrieved him, and he was limping very badly.
Oh my god, I thought, I've damaged him irreparably, and so I picked him up
onto my lap and examined his leg, flexed it, watched for flinching and stuff,
and he was fine. Not a sign of injury. I put him down and he limped badly
and looked very sorry for himself. So I picked him up again and cuddled him
(I was feeling pretty awful at the time of course) and I fussed over him
for five minutes. When I eventually put him down again, the limp had
vanished and he galloped off to play again... :)

Lisahp

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

There is a world wide web page that is devoted to the Cat Codes...not sure
of the URL but Stripes has a link to it on his page...

http://pages.prodigy.com/village/stripes.htm

I keep meaning to do his codes...its a nice page, very clever.

Lisa
Lisa Pavlov
lis...@aol.com or 10262...@compuserve.com
Health Planner and Volunteer EMT
Lisa and Ron's Virtual Home is now at: http://pages.prodigy.com/village
Bring Country Music BACK to NYC!!

Leandra Walker

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Thank your lucky stars Blue is a quiet cat. Chessie drives me nutz
with her continual howling...yells at me when the coffee's done (Where's
My Milk???) and when she decides only fresh SINK water will do, and when
she feels lonely or lost in the middle of the night.

Considering her 19 years, I jump up and obey. The day will come when I
mess that howl.

Leandra

Miste

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

> My cats don't talk back to me, but they give me dirty
looks once in a while.
> I catch myself saying, "Don't look at me like that!" as
if I were talking to
> my kids (though I don't have any). I guess my cats ARE
my kids.

> One of my babies, Buster, does say "mama". Nobody
believes me, but I know
> that's what he's saying. :)

Treble has one particular meow he uses only when he's
looking for me. Unfortunately, it sounds more like
"rerroo" than "mama", so I can't impress anyone. <g>

Miste

mjhv...@tdi.net

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In Article<4ncvco$m...@bmerhc5e.bnr.ca>, <win...@bmerhcc9.bnr.ca> write:
> From: win...@bmerhcc9.bnr.ca (Winnie Leong)
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats
> Subject: Re: Do your cats talk back to you???
> Date: 15 May 1996 16:05:44 GMT

Lisa Pavlov

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

From: lhpa...@ix.netcom.com (Lisa Pavlov)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats
Subject: Re: Cat codes

In <4nfkkd$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> lis...@aol.com (Lisahp) writes:

>There is a world wide web page that is devoted to the Cat Codes...not
sure
>of the URL but Stripes has a link to it on his page...
>
> http://pages.prodigy.com/village/stripes.htm
>
>I keep meaning to do his codes...its a nice page, very clever.

Well I got inspired to finally do Stripes' Cat Codes...I even added
them to my Netcom at work signature line...so see them below :-)

One caveat, Stripes and his brother Mittens are having THE operation on
May 23rd so at least one of the codes will be changing shortly, but
what the hay?
Lisa Pavlov, hospital-based health planner and volunteer EMT
ILMSPR!!
Our Virtual Home Address is at http://pages.prodigy.com/village/
but you can also email me at lhpa...@ix.netcom.com
I live in country-music deprived NYC...
but I hang out at USENET: rec.collecting.villages
Stripes: DS (B+S+W)t H+C .6 Y++ L- W- C+++ I++ T++ A++ E-- H+ S++
V-- F Q P B+ PA+ PL++
--
Lisa Pavlov, hospital-based health planner and volunteer EMT ILMSPR!!
Our Virtual Home Address is at http://pages.prodigy.com/village/
but you can also email me at lhpa...@ix.netcom.com
I live in country-music deprived NYC...
but I hang out at USENET: rec.collecting.villages
Stripes: DS (B+S+W)t H+C .6 Y++ L- W- C+++ I++ T++ A++ E-- H+ S++
V-- F Q P B+ PA+ PL++

Becca Carney

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Dustin (the Blue) is a watch cat. He paws and mEOws at the door if someone
is in the hallway (I live in an apartment). I also get yelled at (meOOW!)
if I let the food run out of his dish. Oliver just says moow very quietly
if he wants up in my lap. Other than that he's almost mute. Except when
mom steps on his tail... oops.

Becca Carney

Dave Ratcliffe

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

-
- Sorry for the change of thread. I have had these cat codes explained
-(like the two lines above) but I have forgotten the details. Could
-someone remind me please?

I've emailed them to you.

--
Dave Ratcliffe - da...@frackit.microserve.com - http://www.microserve.net/~dave
Pyewacket: Home of the Catnames list!

David Stevenson

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

In article <319bd328....@news2.microserve.net>, Dave Ratcliffe
<da...@frackit.com> writes

>On Wed, 15 May 1996 20:31:52 +0100, David Stevenson
><da...@blakjak.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>->Manga: DM G+W Y 1 Y+ L W+ C+++ I++ T A- E++ H V- F- Q- P B++ PA+ PL++
>->Dudu: DM B Y .10 Y L W- C+++ I++ T++ A+++ E- H V++ F- Q+++ P B PA PL
>-
>- Sorry for the change of thread. I have had these cat codes explained
>-(like the two lines above) but I have forgotten the details. Could
>-someone remind me please?
>
>I've emailed them to you.
>
>Dave Ratcliffe - da...@frackit.microserve.com - http://www.microserve.net/~dave
>Pyewacket: Home of the Catnames list!
> "BO" B G 3 X L+ W C--- I+++ T A- E H+ S V++ F Q++ P- B PA PL--
>T'pring:
> SI Cp B 2 X L- W- C--- I+++ T+ A++ E++ H+ S V+ F Q+ P+ B PA+ PL+++

Thankyou

--
David Stevenson Tel: +44 (0)151 677 7412 Phone before Fax please
Liverpool, England, UK da...@blakjak.demon.co.uk Emails welcome

Nina

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

My cat talks back to me. Papa cat likes to yell at me to open the
door for him (even if it's already open). I get up to open for
him, and he refuses to go out. So I sit down and restart whatever
I was doing. He starts yelling again. Depending on my mood, I'll
let him get away with this three or four times, until I loose
patience and give him a little nudge to go out. In which case, he
turns around and TALKS BACK. Definitely a defiant adolescent. One
of his kids, my trouble child, also talks back, but not as a
delinquent; more as a "But Mommy pleeeeze".

--
The cat woman of Paris 7eme

Agent99M

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

My cats (Winnie and Josie) always talk back to me, especialy when I'm
displeased with what they have just done (knocked over the plant, knocked
over the food bowl, etc.). It's as if they are PLEADING me to NOT yell at
them. They also talk to me when they are hungry. Sometimes Winnie just
starts meowing when she wants a treat, and if I say, "What do you want?",
she'll invariably go to the food bowl and meow until I give her a treat.
Afterwards, she'll come to me so I can pat her on the head, and go to
sleep contentedly on my bed.
People say cats don't have any personality, but mine talk back all of the
time, and talk to me when I come home from work, too, as if to say
"Hello".

Michelle agen...@aol.com

victor osti

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

My little girl certainly talks to me. She will tell me if her box has become
dirty, then as soon as I remove the one dirty lump she will jump in and make
another. She also tells me when it is bed time, she is almost as bad as my
wife about not being able to go to bed unless she has me to snuggle up too.
Sometimes one can be loved too much, but it's a nice feeling.

victor

Jan Blakely

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96