First Cat-elect Socks

1 view

Vicki Holzhauer

Nov 25, 1992, 6:16:50 PM11/25/92

All you cat-lovers out there may want to check out this week's _Time_
magazine (November 30). There's a picture of Socks on page 17 (coming
toward the camera), with a sidebar about a cat psychologist hoping
that Socks does not try to walk 891 miles (23 million kitty steps)
back to Little Rock.

However, the BEST part of this issue is the picture on page 19. It
shows Socks on a sidewalk (presumably enjoying catnip), SURROUNDED by
men with cameras, one of them even lying on his side, trying to get a
close picture (probably the one shown on page 17 :-). The caption
reads:

_The Fourth Estate at Work._ Bill and Hillary Clinton had
requested that freedom of the press not infringe on the
privacy of daughter Chelsea, specifically barring
photographers from bothering her cat, Socks. Undaunted,
some photo-dogs from the press corps used catnip to lure
the First Cat-elect out of the Governor's mansion, then
practiced their First Amendment rights.

I am amazed at the amount of press this cat is getting! I don't
remember this kind of hoopla when Amy Carter's cat came to the White
House.

BTW, Socks must be a pretty friendly cat. If *I* had been elected
President, Abigail would still be under the bed ... :-)

--
Vicki Holzhauer, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Boulder, Colorado / / / / vi...@ncar.ucar.edu

Gary Arkoff

Nov 27, 1992, 2:07:20 PM11/27/92
In article <1992Nov25....@ncar.ucar.edu> vi...@steam.atd.ucar.edu (Vicki Holzhauer) writes:

> _The Fourth Estate at Work._ Bill and Hillary Clinton had
> requested that freedom of the press not infringe on the
> privacy of daughter Chelsea, specifically barring
> photographers from bothering her cat, Socks. Undaunted,
> some photo-dogs from the press corps used catnip to lure

> the First Cat-elect out of the Governor's mansion, then
> practiced their First Amendment rights.

The question is, did Socks inhale?

--
What is another word for 'thesaurus?' -- Gary Arkoff -- ark...@lclark.edu