black specks??

GatesGM

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
I hope someone can help me. On the white-painted windowsill where
my cats like to sit, I am finding these little black specks. When I smear
them with my finger, they smear red like blood. Someone told me that this
is flea excrement, however these are indoor cats, and I have never seen
fleas on them or gotten bit (and my husband is usually a *magnet* for flea
bites). Any ideas what these might be?
Thanks in advance!
Gaelen
**on the beautiful San Francisco Bay**

Penny Brooks

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95

Yep, it's flea excrement. My cats also don't go outside and they still
have the occasional flea. The first sign of them is usually some "flea
dirt" on my bathroom sink. I can usually feel fleas on a cat before I ever
SEE one. I rub my fingers around on them where fleas usually like to hang
out (neck, chin, etc.) and I'll feel a little bit of something that moves
- AHA - grab, snap in two. Sorry, didn't mean to be so graphic.

The only times I've gotten bitten (and I definitely have) was when I had
cats that were VERY infested with fleas. Your cats probably just have the
usual very small amount that seems to come in on shoes or something.
Actually,I don't know how they get in the house.

One thing, people always say to me "If you've got one flea, you'll have
millions" - never seems to be true. Maybe because they're indoor cats.

Wishing I was on the beautiful San Francisco Bay instead of in an office
with no windows - Penny

Gill Allen

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
Sorry....these specks definitely sound like flea dirts! It isn't unknown for indoor
cats to get them - if you don't want to try a flea spray or shampoo you'll probably
have to give the cats a good grooming! But once they're around you'll need to break
the cycle 'cos the flea eggs will have been deposited in the carpet and other such
places.
Good luck in getting rid of them!

Gill Allen

VegOut

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
It IS flea excrement. I have unknowingly tracked fleas in from outdoors
and given them to my indoor cats. Not all fleas will bit people. Not all
flea populations are 'bad' enough for the fleas to forsake the cats.

You will still need to treat your cats and house to get rid of the fleas.
8
3 X 10 m/sec ...It's not just the speed limit; it's the Law. - A.
Einstein

Tina Rico

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
yes they are definetly fleas.

My cat had the same specks on him...I asked my cats vet what they were
and he said that they were flea fecies. I found this very odd since he
stays indoors, but fleas do manage to find their way into homes.

You may not see fleas around the house, but that is because your pet
attracts them.

the best way to fight fleas is to ask your vet about Progam. It is a
medicine that you give your cat once a month in it's food. It keeps flea
eggs from hatching.

sham...@inferno.com

Dec 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/2/95
GA> I hope someone can help me. On the white-painted windowsill where
GA>my cats like to sit, I am finding these little black specks. When I smear
GA>them with my finger, they smear red like blood. Someone told me that this
GA>is flea excrement, however these are indoor cats, and I have never seen
GA>fleas on them or gotten bit (and my husband is usually a *magnet* for flea
GA>bites). Any ideas what these might be?
GA>Thanks in advance!
GA>Gaelen
GA>**on the beautiful San Francisco Bay**

You have fleas no doubt about it, or at least your cats do. Buy a good
flea comb and groom them, keep a dish of soapy water by you and drop the
offending fleas in the soapy water to drown. Make sure you use soapy
water or the fleas will just swim out.

Of course there are several ways to attend to the fleas in your
environment, personally I prefer to use Fleabusters' service as their
product is non-toxic and last for a year. Or you can buy their product
in a pet store (I think it's called Terminator) and apply yourself.

Kate

C Benham

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95
In article <49j58l$2...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, gat...@aol.com (GatesGM) wrote:

> I hope someone can help me. On the white-painted windowsill where

> my cats like to sit, I am finding these little black specks. When I smear

> them with my finger, they smear red like blood. Someone told me that this

> is flea excrement, however these are indoor cats, and I have never seen

> fleas on them or gotten bit (and my husband is usually a *magnet* for flea

> bites). Any ideas what these might be?

> Thanks in advance!

Yep, what you're looking at is "flea dirt" That's the little specs of
dried blood that fleas leae after they've bitten the cat and sucked a
little life juice. It's not uncommon to never see a flea, but discover
you have them by seeing the flea dirt. I've heard it said that by the
time you see a singlfe live flea you've probably got a couple hundred
thousand in your house.

Time to give your cat a flea bath and deflea your house. I use a fogger
that has Precor, I think it's called, it works for a couple of months to
keep killing the fleas after the eggs hatch. You have to do it at the
same time you deflea the cat. And, if you give the cat a flea bath
yourself rather than having the vet do it, be sure to have your cats OUT
of the house when you use a fogger -- for at least 2 hours I think it is.

"I think animal testing is terrible; they get all nervous
and give the wrong answers."
I finally figured it out: someone else has
my REAL life; I got this one by mistake.

** Honor the universe: curb human hubris. **

ca...@bcvms.bc.edu

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95
In article <49j58l$2...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, gat...@aol.com (GatesGM) writes:
> I hope someone can help me. On the white-painted windowsill where
> my cats like to sit, I am finding these little black specks. When I smear
> them with my finger, they smear red like blood. Someone told me that this
> is flea excrement, however these are indoor cats, and I have never seen
> fleas on them or gotten bit (and my husband is usually a *magnet* for flea
> bites). Any ideas what these might be?
> Thanks in advance!
> Gaelen

> **on the beautiful San Francisco Bay**

Fleas can live in your lawn, thriving on birds and rodents, etc. so if you go
outside you have the chance of picking up a flea and bringing it in the house.
It only takes a few to start an infestation. You should probably start by
combing your cats with a flea comb to check for eggs and other signs of 'flea
dirt' like you are seeing on the window sills. If you find even one speck, you
should start a preventive measure such a collars or powders or rug spray or the
little light over the pan of water which is supposed to kill the fleas etc.
(Basically, there are hundreds of methods for fighting the flea battle, you
just need to choose the one that's right for you and your cats. ) There is
probably a a FAQ here about fleas and Cat Fancy or a book on cats should be
able to offer suggestions as well.

Cathy :)

(mom to Bouggie, Pumpkin, Nasty and Steve - we do the collar/combing/rug spray
thing)

Barry Fowler

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
One more thing. If your cat has fleas and it sounds like it does,
it'll probably also have works and need deworming as they're the
flea larvae that get ingested when the cat cleans itself.