Tortoise-shell cats mute?

Patrick Keenan

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

We've had a number of torties and they have not been mute. We also have
a black-and-white DLH whose purr sounds like several pigeons.....

And thanks for taking her in!

Thanks!
- Pat Keenan

Horsefev wrote:

> I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
> than a squeak. She is not a purebred anything, just a stray that I found
> (or should I say who found me).

Walker - Sharon Y.

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Horsefev (hors...@aol.com) wrote:
: I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
: than a squeak. <snip>

: Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
: fault in these cats?

: Laurie in Dallas

Interesting. Our tortie, Lily, adopted last Spring from the local animal
shelter at approximate age eight months also squeaks! Sparky, our black
and white long haired male, estimated to be the same age and adopted at
the same time, really MEEE-OWWW's.

Horsefev

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
than a squeak. She is not a purebred anything, just a stray that I found
(or should I say who found me). This coloration is sort of like a calico,
only darkers colors. I named her Snickers because she reminded me of a
Snickers candy bar, sort of dark chocolate, creamy caramel, and milk
chocolate colors.

Some people we know have one also that they named Squeaky because of a
seeming lack of voice box.

The Magic Mood Jeep

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

I have a claico longheir that normally only squeaks, and always with her
mouth closed, but when she wants to seh can meow (albeit only her
squeaks but with her mouth open), and once I stepped on her tail, man,
did she give out a yell! So I don't think it's a matter of no voice box,
just a matter of being a quiet kitty (I have a male black/white cat that
won't shut up <unless he's sleeping>, so it all balances out).

Michael Kwan

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

hors...@aol.com (Horsefev) wrote:

>I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more

>than a squeak.'

<snip>

>Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
>fault in these cats?

>Laurie in Dallas

Not out here, Laurie. Our tortie female, Megan is fairly noisy. When
we first got her, she was a little quiet. Interestingly, her meow
sounded sort of "rusty." I'm not sure how to describe it. At first,
it was like she just hadn't used it very much. It still sounds that
way a little, but now she can put a lot more volume behind it. She
tends to be her most talky when either my wife or I are in the
kitchen. Lately, she keeps up a fairly steady monologue as she tried
to get us to feed her. She's also taken to just standing alone in the
kitchen and crying out until one of us goes to talk to her and tell
her to cut it our. The newest thing has been for her to wait until
one of us gets out of the shower and then to talk to us while drying
off. My wife thinks she's trying to make sure we're alright after our
ordeal under the water.

_______________________________________

Michael Kwan
mk...@usa.pipeline.com
mk...@pipeline.com
_______________________________________

Bette:DL B C 9 X L+ W+ C+++ T/--- A-- E+ S+ V+ F- Q+ B-- PA- PL+
Dublin: DS B+W+Od Y .9 Y L W C+ I++ T++ A++ S++ V++ F+ Q+ B+ PA PL++
Megan: DS (B+R+Od)r y .9 X L- W- C+ I++ T++ A+ H+ V- F++ Q+ B+ PA+ PL++
Earl Grey: (Bd+Wd+Od)t Y 2.10 (dec.) Y L W C+ I T A+ E++ H- S V+ F Q+ P+ B+ PA PL++
-----END CAT CODE BLOCK-----

Trudi Marrapodi

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

In article <5be89u$e...@hecate.umd.edu>, sywa...@csc.umd.edu (Walker -
Sharon Y.) wrote:

> Horsefev (hors...@aol.com) wrote:
> : I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
> : than a squeak. <snip>
>
> : Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
> : fault in these cats?
>
> : Laurie in Dallas
>

> Interesting. Our tortie, Lily, adopted last Spring from the local animal
> shelter at approximate age eight months also squeaks! Sparky, our black
> and white long haired male, estimated to be the same age and adopted at
> the same time, really MEEE-OWWW's.

When I first adopted my Tortie, Reese, at approximate age five months, she
squeaked, too. I used to tease her that if she wanted to get my attention
she was going to have to learn a "proper meow." I used to joke that I
should buy some "d-Con Reese-Prufe" to get rid of those squeaky mouse-like
sounds emanating from my apartment. But eventually she learned, and I can
now testify that she knows how to meow. BOY, does she know how to
meow...She also purrs like a motorboat.

Maybe this *is* a trait of Torties...that it takes them longer to develop
a "proper meow." What I have wondered is whether they have a reputation
for liking water, because I seem to remember reading somewhere that they
do, and Reese definitely likes water. Can't keep her out of the bathtub
and the bathroom sink.

Trudi
www...@frontiernet.net

Minx

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

hors...@aol.com (Horsefev) wrote:
|I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
|than a squeak. She is not a purebred anything, just a stray that I found
|(or should I say who found me). This coloration is sort of like a calico,
|only darkers colors. I named her Snickers because she reminded me of a
|Snickers candy bar, sort of dark chocolate, creamy caramel, and milk
|chocolate colors.
|Some people we know have one also that they named Squeaky because of a
|seeming lack of voice box.
|Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
|fault in these cats?

I have three torties, two of whom are litter-mates--Gypsy Rose and
Abracadabra. Gypsy is very loud and whiny, and sings her meows, especially
when hungry. Abra is very shy and quiet, only making quick "mewr" noises, sort
of like a squeak, I suppose.

The other one, Sparkle, is very talkative, and trills her meows. :)

I don't know if it's genetic or not. If so, it explains Abra's meowing. I
really think it's the individual cat, though, and not the coloring...

Minx

|\ _,,,---,,__
/,`.-'`' -. ;--;;,__
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'--'
---------------'---''(_/--'--`-'\_)---------------------
| Gypsy Rose, Bandit, Abracadabra, Toss, Sparkle |
| gy...@cwws.net http://www.cwws.net/~gypsy |

JoAnn Kania

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Trudi Marrapodi wrote:

> In article <5be89u$e...@hecate.umd.edu>, sywa...@csc.umd.edu (Walker -
> Sharon Y.) wrote:
>

> > Horsefev (hors...@aol.com) wrote:
> > : I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more

> > : than a squeak. <snip>
> >
> > : Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
> > : fault in these cats?
> >
> > : Laurie in Dallas
I have 3 torties. DingDong and Tinkerbell are sisters. Bell is
constantly meowing, whining about something. Dong very rarely makes a
sound, and when she does it is a sort of 'mmrup'. She does, however, purr
like a motorboat and her sister doesn't. This has been going on for 16
years. Mama cat doesn't talk much, although she was a little bit more
vocal when her kittens were here. On the other hand, I have a brown tabby
that is nicknamed "squeaky" Tiki since that is the only sound she makes.
Joann (mother of 10)

<---------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| http://artisticnetwork.com |
|The web's newest site for musician, theaters, visual and performing artists |
| 773-48-MUSIC |
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Diana T Osborne

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In <19970113153...@ladder01.news.aol.com> hors...@aol.com

(Horsefev) writes:

>I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything
more
>than a squeak. She is not a purebred anything, just a stray that I
found
>(or should I say who found me). This coloration is sort of like a
calico,
>only darkers colors. I named her Snickers because she reminded me of
>Snickers candy bar, sort of dark chocolate, creamy caramel, and milk
>chocolate colors.
>
>Some people we know have one also that they named Squeaky because of a
>seeming lack of voice box.
>
>Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a
genetic
>fault in these cats?
>
>Laurie in Dallas

Definitely not in my tortie, Rocky. She doesn't talk very often,
but when she does she makes sure she's heard.

Diana, owned and operated by Rocky

Helen and Charles Goodwin

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

Minx wrote:

> hors...@aol.com (Horsefev) wrote:
> |I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
> |than a squeak. She is not a purebred anything, just a stray that I found
> |(or should I say who found me). This coloration is sort of like a calico,
> |only darkers colors. I named her Snickers because she reminded me of a
> |Snickers candy bar, sort of dark chocolate, creamy caramel, and milk
> |chocolate colors.
> |Some people we know have one also that they named Squeaky because of a
> |seeming lack of voice box.
> |Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
> |fault in these cats?
>
> I have three torties, two of whom are litter-mates--Gypsy Rose and
> Abracadabra. Gypsy is very loud and whiny, and sings her meows, especially
> when hungry. Abra is very shy and quiet, only making quick "mewr" noises, sort
> of like a squeak, I suppose.
>
> The other one, Sparkle, is very talkative, and trills her meows. :)
>
> I don't know if it's genetic or not. If so, it explains Abra's meowing. I
> really think it's the individual cat, though, and not the coloring...
>
> Minx
>
> |\ _,,,---,,__
> /,`.-'`' -. ;--;;,__
> |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'--'
> ---------------'---''(_/--'--`-'\_)---------------------
> | Gypsy Rose, Bandit, Abracadabra, Toss, Sparkle |
> | gy...@cwws.net http://www.cwws.net/~gypsy |

I had a tortie point siamese who could only squeak some years ago but all
the other tortie siamese I ever had were as raucous as every other
siamese.

I imagine that if the questioned were widened to other colour cats a then
some of each colour would have this trait.

Helen

Susan Rankin

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In article <5bf7s4$8...@express.ior.com>, gy...@cwws.net says...

> I have three torties, two of whom are litter-mates--Gypsy Rose and
>Abracadabra. Gypsy is very loud and whiny, and sings her meows, especially
>when hungry.

This is exactly the description of Pumpkin's, also a tortie, vocalizations. She
was especially loud if my fiance and I 'disappeared' for any amount of time that
involved something longer than school/work. Race weekends made her the most
cranky little bugger! We had been doing renovations to the van to allow her to come
and camp out with us. She and the van have since gone.

Susan - Who had a dream this morning that she was
holding her obnoxious little sweetie

Heather Dalgleish

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Trudi Marrapodi wrote:

> In article <5be89u$e...@hecate.umd.edu>, sywa...@csc.umd.edu (Walker -
> Sharon Y.) wrote:
>
> > Horsefev (hors...@aol.com) wrote:
> > : I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
> > : than a squeak. <snip>
> >
> > : Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
> > : fault in these cats?
> >

> > : Laurie in Dallas
> >
> > Interesting. Our tortie, Lily, adopted last Spring from the local animal
> > shelter at approximate age eight months also squeaks! Sparky, our black
> > and white long haired male, estimated to be the same age and adopted at
> > the same time, really MEEE-OWWW's.
>
> When I first adopted my Tortie, Reese, at approximate age five months, she
> squeaked, too. I used to tease her that if she wanted to get my attention
> she was going to have to learn a "proper meow." I used to joke that I
> should buy some "d-Con Reese-Prufe" to get rid of those squeaky mouse-like
> sounds emanating from my apartment. But eventually she learned, and I can
> now testify that she knows how to meow. BOY, does she know how to
> meow...She also purrs like a motorboat.
>
> Maybe this *is* a trait of Torties...that it takes them longer to develop
> a "proper meow." What I have wondered is whether they have a reputation
> for liking water, because I seem to remember reading somewhere that they
> do, and Reese definitely likes water. Can't keep her out of the bathtub
> and the bathroom sink.
>
> Trudi
> www...@frontiernet.net

I don't think they ever develop a proper meow? I have two of them and
they both sqeak. My oldest is nine years old and is still a sqeaker.

As far as water goes, I believe it is in this breed. Both my cats spend
more time in the bathroom than any other room in the house. I have to
keep the taps running for them or they get quite upset with me.

Cynthia Durham

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

We have a couple of squeakers, including one tortie that sound like she
looks like Snickers. Never thought about it before, but that does bring
back memories of other squeakers, who were mostly female and torties, if my
memory is correct.

Good luck with Snickers!

Witten and crew

Horsefev

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

I am glad to get these answers to my original post. The first person who
responded felt that I was generalizing too much about torties simply
because mine squeaked, but I am glad to hear that my tortie is not alone
out there and that I am not guilty of the above!!!

Thanks to all who responded.

Laurie

Catherine L Kelley

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Hi all,

I have two tortie cats who have LOUD and INSISTENT meows, and they talk a
lot. The older one is the mother, the younger one the daughter, and I can
assure you that the baby started meowing at about the right time (she sort
of "beeped" as a kitten but that's true of all cats). I had a roommate
for a while who also had a tortoise-shell cat, and she (the cat not the
roommate!) also could meow, although she wasn't as vocal as my two. So it
might be a trend, but it certainly isn't a given for torties to have no
meows.

As to water ... interestingly, the older cat has no interest in it, but
the younger one LOVES to slosh around in her water dish. She has a
complete fascination with the rivulets of water that trail down the
kitchen floor; as soon as they stop moving she sloshes some more water out
to make it move again. She can play this game for hours (literally), has
a much longer attention span than most cats I've known. She also likes
playing with bubbles when I take a bubble bath.

-Cathy
clke...@umich.edu

In article <32DEA0...@dofasco.ca>,

Heather Dalgleish <heather_...@dofasco.ca> wrote:
>Trudi Marrapodi wrote:
>>
>> In article <5be89u$e...@hecate.umd.edu>, sywa...@csc.umd.edu (Walker -
>> Sharon Y.) wrote:
>>
>> > Horsefev (hors...@aol.com) wrote:
>> > : I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
>> > : than a squeak. <snip>
>> >
>> > : Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
>> > : fault in these cats?
>> >
>> > : Laurie in Dallas

Tabatha Holtz

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

Trudi Marrapodi wrote:

> In article <5be89u$e...@hecate.umd.edu>, sywa...@csc.umd.edu (Walker -
> Sharon Y.) wrote:
>
> > Horsefev (hors...@aol.com) wrote:
> > : I have a tortoise-shell-colored cat that can never manage anything more
> > : than a squeak. <snip>
> >
> > : Does anyone else out there notice the same thing? Is this just a genetic
> > : fault in these cats?
> >
> > : Laurie in Dallas
> >
> > Interesting. Our tortie, Lily, adopted last Spring from the local animal
> > shelter at approximate age eight months also squeaks! Sparky, our black
> > and white long haired male, estimated to be the same age and adopted at
> > the same time, really MEEE-OWWW's.
>
> When I first adopted my Tortie, Reese, at approximate age five months, she
> squeaked, too. I used to tease her that if she wanted to get my attention
> she was going to have to learn a "proper meow." I used to joke that I
> should buy some "d-Con Reese-Prufe" to get rid of those squeaky mouse-like
> sounds emanating from my apartment. But eventually she learned, and I can
> now testify that she knows how to meow. BOY, does she know how to
> meow...She also purrs like a motorboat.
>
> Maybe this *is* a trait of Torties...that it takes them longer to develop
> a "proper meow." What I have wondered is whether they have a reputation
> for liking water, because I seem to remember reading somewhere that they
> do, and Reese definitely likes water. Can't keep her out of the bathtub
> and the bathroom sink.
>
> Trudi
> www...@frontiernet.net

I just got a Tortie Devon Rex (13 weeks old), believe me, for such a
little imp, she has no problem whatsoever with her meows or purrs for
that matter :-)
--

tab...@hasc.com

=^.^=

Cats in Canada: http://tabatha.hasc.com/cats/
Canadian Cat Association: http://www.isisnet.com/cca-afc/
Personal: http://tabatha.hasc.com

=^.^=

Cheshire Cat

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Gabbie was a tortie, but she definitely had a voice. I now have two torties,
Twygal and Ozma. Twygal has more voice than anyone should ever have to
listen to. And when she wants something you'll never hear the end of it.
Ozma has a quiet voice but I wouldn't call it a squeak, just quiet.

Three more to add to your collection.

--
Andrea
aka Cheshire Cat

DHarper615

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Regarding Tortoise-shell cats, I have a friend in Odessa who has a female
Tortoise-shell, and it has the weirdest sounding meow I've ever heard.
It's fairly faint and raspy, and in fact almost sounds like the sound of a
bow on a violin hitting a high note (it's hard on the ears even though
it's faint). There must be something to this theory that there's
something different about Tortoise-shell meows. Maybe there's an expert
out there who can tell us what's going on with these cats.

Dave

A.D.P.

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Grommet, my manx is a Tortie and could be said to have an attitude. Not
to me, but to everyone else. When I was showing her in TICA, the judges
would often excuse her moodiness "Oh thats normal for a Tortie."

Anyone else have thst experince?
--
real e-mail tri...@xensei.com

Melanie Moore

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Well, my calico tabby certainly has an attitude. And I have a friend with
a calico who's even worse. My friend was told by her vet that this was
common behavior for calicos/torties. (On the other hand, I've heard others
with calicos or torties say their cats are very sweet.)

Melanie

CYBLUME

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

I think it may be a bit of stereotyping. I've heard people tell me that
they're surprised that my late great Quinn didn't have an attitude but was
a real sweetheart. On the other hand, my old Josie was said to be mean
because she was a calico & no one paid attention to the fact that she was
rescued off the streets at 9 mths so was always semi-feral

A.D.P. <spam...@iswasted.bytes> wrote in article
<32E785...@iswasted.bytes>...

> Grommet, my manx is a Tortie and could be said to have an attitude.

> --
> real e-mail tri...@xensei.com

Trudi Marrapodi

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

In article <msmoore-ya0240800...@snews.zippo.com>,
msm...@ok.azalea.net (Melanie Moore) wrote:

Reese, my Tortie, is an absolute sweetheart. I think a lot of old wives'
tales are still going around cat circles as gospel truth.

Trudi
www...@frontiernet.net

Jayme Jones

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Nikki, a longhaired "torbie" (I define as a tortie with tabby "bracelets"
and "M" on forehead) is a squeaker. I love it! However, it doesn't get as
much attention as Sneak's *Hey ma I want a treat!* meow (deafening).

Jayme
Proudly owned by: Amber, Mittsy, Nikki, Sneakers, Sabrina, and Sylvia

BSKTNUT123

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Heather,

I, too, had a tortoise shell cat that was mute. She died about 8 years
ago, and I thought all along that it was just a fluke. Couldn't believe
it when I saw your post.

Dawn